/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Former rap star speaks on Islam

sonz
07-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Reporter: Michael Edwards

ELEANOR HALL: As a rap star, Napolean was a bad man.

His songs carried a message of violence and hatred.

But now he's found Islam, and has given up rap music to preach a message of peace.

And this week, Napolean is in Australia to talk to young Islamic men about Islam's path to enlightenment.

The World Today's Michael Edwards went along to his Sydney really to hear the former gangster rapper's message.

(Excerpt of Napolean rap song)

MICHAEL EDWARDS: Gangsta rap, guns, violence, women and money.

Uniquely American in its origins, rap has gone on to become the music of choice for alienated youth the world over, a way of voicing frustration at a life they see as deprived of opportunity.

For young Islamic men growing up in Sydney's south-west, it certainly has its allure.

(Sound of Napolean rapping)

MAN: It's a way to express your feelings and the way you live and the way things are going on in the world, in society, and how things get shifted from one place to another on race, colour, you know, different ethnic backgrounds and so-forth.

MICHAEL EDWARDS: It's mix of fast living, fast cars and fast women sells millions of records.

But despite its popularity, last Friday - in a stadium in Sydney's west - young Islamic men were being told gangsta rap isn't the path to enlightenment; Allah is.

(Sound of Mutah Beale speaking)

Those Arabic phrases were uttered by Mutah Beale, a man better known to most rap fans as Napolean.

Napolean lived the high life when he was on top.

He hung out with one of rap's biggest stars, Tupac Shakur, until he has shot dead. Napolean had the guns, the money, the women, and what he says was a hollow life.

But nowadays you won't be hearing any more of his rapping; he's made what must be one of the ultimate sacrifices for a performer - giving up art for religion.

MUTAH BEALE (Napolean): Just partying and drinking and women and guns and on drugs, money. You know, it's a fast lifestyle which, you know, to me, for me I happen to speak by experience, but you know, houses, cars, money, none of that stuff made me happy until I found Islam.

MICHAEL EDWARDS: Along with the rap ban, he now doesn't drink or take drugs, or hang with bad people.

Napolean was in Sydney courtesy of an Islamic Youth Group, to tell its members how to lead a positive life.

Life isn't easy for many young men in Sydney's south-west.

MAN: They talk about shooting guns and selling drugs and **** like that. Not that I do none of that but, you know, it's around where we live, you know, the Lakemba, Punchbowl, Bankstown, all that area.

MICHAEL EDWARDS: So it's a reality?

MAN: Yeah, a reality, yeah, I suppose.

MICHAEL EDWARDS: What sort of problems do you encounter in your life?

MAN: Oh, you stare at people the wrong way you know you're going to get into a fight, drug dealing, occasional shootings.

MICHAEL EDWARDS: And like many in the audience, Napolean came from tough circumstances.

His story began on the mean streets of Newark, New Jersey, and then to Los Angeles.

The cycle of violence began early his life. His parents were murdered when he was four.

His first group was called Dramacydal and his best friend was killed in what's believed to be an accidental shooting.

Napolean says he couldn't see a way through his troubles, until he found Islam.

He says it's a religion that can change even the most unlikely types.

MUTAH BEALE (Napolean): I have some friends that used to be bank robbers, used to be murderers, used to be killers. They are Muslim now. You won't hear even a cuss word out of their mouth. You won't even see them kill a fly. You won't even think they'd kill a fly.

MUTAH BEALE (Napolean): But many young men in the audience told The World Today it's not so simple.

The scars of the Cronulla riots and their aftermath are still visible, and no matter what message they're told, many young Middle Eastern men remain on the lower rungs of the socioeconomic ladder.

Napolean's backed by the money he made from being a music superstar, while many of his audience live from paycheque to paycheque, if they're lucky.

To them, the stories from Napolean's street days, the ones he now doesn't tell, are far more realistic.

MICHAEL EDWARDS: It's different here than in the streets of Los Angeles.

MAN: Yeah, yeah, yeah. But I mean, like, we're not very far away from Los Angeles, you know, probably about five, ten years away we'll probably be in the same situation, you know, the violence and stuff like that.

ELEANOR HALL: Michael Edwards prepared that report.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/con...6/s1688265.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
catmando
07-18-2006, 11:12 PM
So I guess Christianity, Buddhism and even Atheism could not help Mr. Napolean and his friends get out of the rap culture? Looks like Islam is the answer to all the world's problems eh?

Ghazi
07-18-2006, 11:14 PM
:sl:

Yeah.

searcheroftruth
07-18-2006, 11:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

Yeah.
how u didn't come to isha

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
catmando
07-18-2006, 11:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

Yeah.
LOL

Hijrah
07-18-2006, 11:26 PM
yeah, I remember when I used to listen to music, this guy's musicwas awfully ignorant...Alhamdulillah at this...

imaad_udeen
07-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Never heard of him....

Hijrah
07-18-2006, 11:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by imaad_udeen
Never heard of him....
He was part of the Outlawz...he ran with 2pac, search them for yourself the outlawz didn't really make a big name for themselves though lol

imaad_udeen
07-18-2006, 11:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hijrah
He was part of the Outlawz...he ran with 2pac, search them for yourself the outlawz didn't really make a big name for themselves though lol
Ah, I liked Tupac, but never got into the Outlawz.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
07-18-2006, 11:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by catmando
So I guess Christianity, Buddhism and even Atheism could not help Mr. Napolean and his friends get out of the rap culture? Looks like Islam is the answer to all the world's problems eh?
Hello,

Yes. Islam is the answer to all the world's problems. Something which no other way of life or religion can boast about. (Do I sense a note of jealousy there?)

Regards

Skillganon
07-19-2006, 12:04 AM
You can download his ingterview HERE [Listen]

catmando
07-19-2006, 12:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ähmed
Hello,

Yes. Islam is the answer to all the world's problems. Something which no other way of life or religion can boast about. (Do I sense a note of jealousy there?)

Regards
No not jealousy but incredulity that any system of thought, based on an unproven entity, with irrational commandments, can encompass all human existence.

That's why there are 31,000,000 Atheists and Secularists here in America, and Secularism is on the rise in Europe and elsewhere. We deny your gods and your books as being anti-human in their scope and purpose. We base our morality on the needs of humans, not gods.

Halima
07-19-2006, 12:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ähmed
Hello,

Regards

Allah(swt) has answered all of our problems before any of us were even born.

Subhanallah.

Dahir
07-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Question From Catmando:

Islam-Truth's Answer:

Yeah.

:D :thumbs_up

:clever:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
07-19-2006, 02:15 AM
No not jealousy but incredulity that any system of thought, based on an unproven entity, with irrational commandments, can encompass all human existence.
So why do you think democracy and freedom can? That is after all what you desire, since you dont suppose that a way of life (religion) suits you and furthermore you dont even believe it.

That's why there are 31,000,000 Atheists and Secularists here in America, and Secularism is on the rise in Europe and elsewhere. We deny your gods and your books as being anti-human in their scope and purpose. We base our morality on the needs of humans, not gods.
Thats still a minority. Atheism has always been a minority and always will be. Such a perversion of human nature isnt appealing except to those who follow their own desires and have twisted their human nature. It may seem harsh, but that is the reality.

Regards

Keltoi
07-19-2006, 02:17 AM
I believe religious faith of any kind is good for changing self-destructive behavior. Of course Muslims believe Islam is THE way to achieve salvation, just as Christians believe the only way to salvation is through Jesus Christ. Hardly controversial.

Umu 'Isa
07-19-2006, 03:04 AM
subhan Allah, He spoke in Sydney. Over 2000 people went. Non-muslim and muslim alhamdulillah.

F.Y.
07-19-2006, 03:08 AM
Did you listen to him? What happened there?

Umu 'Isa
07-19-2006, 03:10 AM
noo :( i didn't go. But i know people who did. It was pretty much the same thing as what bro Skillganon posted, but it was in more detail i guess.

north_malaysian
07-19-2006, 03:49 AM
Never heard of him....... obviously because I am not keen into hip hop culture. Sorry!!!:giggling:

Dahir
07-19-2006, 04:42 AM
Never heard of him....... obviously because I am not keen into hip hop culture. Sorry!!!
You a Heavy Metal guy? You'd like it if Phil Anselmo, Jamey Jasta, or Lars Ulrich became a Muslim, wouldn't you!

:D

sameer
07-19-2006, 01:21 PM

^^ and what happens when u die? or are u imortal? also what do u believe is the purpose of ure existence?

BTW Allah dont have needs - people do

Umar001
07-19-2006, 01:27 PM
whao for real, a brother i know loves this guy, always singing some rubbish like 'this is napoleon i get my pleasure outa seen sin or something lol'

I have to admit, I was partial to abit of Tupac and Outlaws, Argh man I love em too much, I cant believe I've stopped listening to them.

Sis786
07-19-2006, 01:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
whao for real, a brother i know loves this guy, always singing some rubbish like 'this is napoleon i get my pleasure outa seen sin or something lol'

I have to admit, I was partial to abit of Tupac and Outlaws, Argh man I love em too much, I cant believe I've stopped listening to them.
I didnt like Napoleoan 2pac was ok!

------
07-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Of course Muslims believe Islam is THE way to achieve salvation, just as Christians believe the only way to salvation is through Jesus Christ.
Its not about believing lol, Islam IS the way of life :D

Umar001
07-19-2006, 01:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
I didnt like Napoleoan 2pac was ok!

Come on, noone thinks of Napoleon on his own, its with the outlaws, together thats why you might not like him.

Although I dislike nasheeds, I would love to do one with him.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So if anyone knows him, tell him Eesa Abdullah wants a word lol

Sis786
07-19-2006, 01:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Come on, noone thinks of Napoleon on his own, its with the outlaws, together thats why you might not like him.

Although I dislike nasheeds, I would love to do one with him.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So if anyone knows him, tell him Eesa Abdullah wants a word lol
Yeah sure sorry Mr Big SCARY RAPPER GUY my bro Eeasa wants a WORD! Thats aint something i would say in the hood ..;D

Sis786
07-19-2006, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
Its not about believing lol, Islam IS the way of life :D
Alhamdillah for that

Umar001
07-19-2006, 01:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
Yeah sure sorry Mr Big SCARY RAPPER GUY my bro Eeasa wants a WORD! Thats aint something i would say in the hood ..;D
he aint that big and he aint scary mashallah hes very handsome lol

and dont say it in 'the hood' at the lectures he goes to :p

Daffodil
07-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Napoleon (rapper)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Napoleon (real name Mutah Wassin Shabazz Beale) (born Newark, New Jersey on October 11, 1977), is an African-American rapper. His mother, Aquillah Beale, was Christian and his father, Salek Beale, Muslim. When he was three or four years old his parents were murdered and his brother, Seike Beale, committed suicide. After this, he along with his big brother, Moonie Beale, and his little brother, Kamil "Hellraza" Beale, moved to their grandmother in Irvington, New Jersey. As Beale grew older he started rapping. In 1994, he ran into his childhood friend Yafeu "Kadafi" Fula who he hadn't had contact with for years. Both of them were rapping and Kadafi's Godbrother was the notorious rapper Tupac Amaru Shakur. Kadafi's mother, Yaasmyn Fula, told Tupac about Beale. She told him how he witnessed his parents being murdered and it made him cry. He felt he had to met Beale. They met and Beale joined their group, Dramacydal. Unlike the other members he didn't go under an alias, he just went under his first name.

On April 5, 1995, Tupac's LP, Me Against The World, was released. Mutah guest appeared on the song "Outlaw." In 1995, Mutah, Bruce "Fatal" Washington, Kadafi, Katari "Kastro" Cox, Malcolm "E.D.I." Greenidge, Tupac formed the group the Outlaw Immortalz; later renamed to the Outlawz. Tupac gave each member of the group an alias taken from an enemy of America, he gave Mutah the alias Napoleon after French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte. On February 13, 1996, Tupac's double LP, All Eyez On Me, was released. Napoleon guest appeared on "Tradin' War Stories," "When We Ride," "Thug Passion" and "Run Tha Streetz." He was also the center of attention in Tupac's famous song "I Ain't Mad at Cha". Here Tupac talked about how Napoleon became a strong Muslim who always tried to do good.

On September 7, 1996, Tupac was shot six times in a drive-by-shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada. He was taken to University Medical Center where he died a week later. Napoleon and the rest of the Outlawz moved back to New Jersey. On November 5, Tupac's LP, The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory, was released. Napoleon guest appeared on the song "Life Of An Outlaw." On November 10, after visiting his girlfriend, Kadafi was killed. He was taken to University Hospital where he died on the afternoon. Who killed him remained unknown until 2000 when Napoleon said in an interview with The Source that it was his cousin, Roddy, who accidentally killed him. Apparently, Kadafi and Roddy were drunk and high, they were playing with a gun, Roddy pulled the trigger and a bullet hit Kadafi in the head. Napoleon convinced Roddy to turn himself in.

In March 1997, Napoleon and the rest of the Outlawz with the exception of Fatal, moved back to California and signed with Death Row Records. They did this despite the fact that Tupac had several times told them not to. On December 21, 1999, the Outlawz's debut LP, Still I Rise, was finally released. Napoleon and the rest of the Outlawz besides Fatal formed Outlaw Recordz and released their second and third LPs, Ride Wit Us Or Collide Wit Us and Novakane, on November 7, 2000 and November 6, 2001. One of the first artists who signed with Outlaw Recordz was Napoleon's brother, Hellraza. Napoleon made his acting debut in Thug Life which also starred The Lady Of Rage and Willie D.

Napoleon's the father of a son, Saleick Beale. He has started a barbershop and salon, Platinum Kuts. He's working on his solo debut album, Bonapartes, due out this year. It features Jon B and Sticky Fingaz. He's also working on setting up a mosque for people who are interested in becoming Muslims.

Umar001
07-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Brings back memories.

Sis786
07-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info Sis Daffodil ...And Easa Bro i will throw a note at him!;D

Umar001
07-19-2006, 01:59 PM
LOl throw it at him? hey what you trying to do, kill the guy?

Anyhow I need to forget bout him else I'll want to listen to his music. plus work is calling lol.

Salam Aleykum

Umm Safiya
07-19-2006, 03:11 PM

He was also the center of attention in Tupac's famous song "I Ain't Mad at Cha". Here Tupac talked about how Napoleon became a strong Muslim who always tried to do good.
I used to luuuuv this song, so much.. Didn't know it was about Napoleon.. But maybe because I never heard of him before..

Well, alhamdulillâh, he's muslim.. Allâh guides whom He wills..

Hijaabi22
07-19-2006, 05:36 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO NAPOLEAN!!!! COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL HE IS WIKED!!!

I saw him LIVE IN CONCERT whoop whoop he sung sum WIKED RAPS!! was a big hit with the crowd!¬ :awesome:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.