/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gender Selection

limitless
07-19-2006, 10:29 PM
:sl:

I have read many articles on this. It is about gender selection with current technology the couples can have the union of male gamete with female gamete into a zygote. Then the scientist enigneer is able to select the gender for the couples and even perhaps prevent gene disorders or anything like that. Is this allowed in islam, and if someone needs to pursaude this career, is the individual allowed to?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
soulsociety
07-19-2006, 10:35 PM

The male parent determines the gender of the child. However, the woman determines the success of a male fetus....

Dr Henrietta Svarre Nielsen, who led the research, said: "It is known that when a female carries a male, it is strange to her immune system.

"And up to 22 years later, you can pick up cells in her immune system which act against males.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5094676.stm
So in the end, it is still Allah's will.

afriend
07-19-2006, 10:37 PM

Bismillahi rahmaan ar raheem.

Such matters such as gender selection should be left to Allah, in the past, many have tried to toy with matters they should not have been fiddling with, and the result was only disaster.

Although, the engineering of genetic disorders in order to help to cure and help mankind is greatly loved in Islam, In chapter number 5, ayah number 32, Allah says:

"For this reason did We prescribe to the children of Israel that whoever slays a soul, unless it be for manslaughter or for mischief in the land, it is as though he slew all men; and whoever keeps it alive, it is as though he kept alive all men; and certainly Our apostles came to them with clear arguments, but even after that many of them certainly act extravagantly in the land. "

So surely, if one has the means to cure a person they should do so.

limitless
07-20-2006, 10:52 PM

Yes I know very well that it is the male who determines that and the other, but that was not what I was asking, and Iqram has answered it. Thank to both of you very much, appericate it.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 08:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram

Bismillahi rahmaan ar raheem.

Such matters such as gender selection should be left to Allah, in the past, many have tried to toy with matters they should not have been fiddling with, and the result was only disaster.

Although, the engineering of genetic disorders in order to help to cure and help mankind is greatly loved in Islam, In chapter number 5, ayah number 32, Allah says:

"For this reason did We prescribe to the children of Israel that whoever slays a soul, unless it be for manslaughter or for mischief in the land, it is as though he slew all men; and whoever keeps it alive, it is as though he kept alive all men; and certainly Our apostles came to them with clear arguments, but even after that many of them certainly act extravagantly in the land. "

So surely, if one has the means to cure a person they should do so.
Even if it involves stem cell research?:?

united
07-27-2006, 10:55 AM
i dont understand what use this would have.
in the UK the NHS is in shambles, yet they find the money to research into these pointless "luxuries".

Ghazi
07-27-2006, 11:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by united
i dont understand what use this would have.
in the UK the NHS is in shambles, yet they find the money to research into these pointless "luxuries".

Exactly!

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Well I understand why people would like to choose the sex of their children. I had three sons before I ever had a daughter. If I had been able to choose the sex of my children I wouldn't have had so many children. In a lot a ways I think it's selfish of me to produce so many kids during this time of overpopulation. I also think that women who have a lot of kids aren't as close to their husbands. So it's not fair to the men either.

Gender selection is a good thing! I hope my daughter has the technology available to her.

Looking4Peace
07-27-2006, 04:33 PM
I think this is absoluetely disgusting, its playing God and nature, i swear technology is getting too out of hand, people no longer have to do anything natural, turning into some robot species, I think in some ways people need to go back to more primitive living or we are all gonna be in big trouble, help i need to move to some wilderness.

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crystal4Peace
I think this is absoluetely disgusting, its playing God and nature, i swear technology is getting too out of hand, people no longer have to do anything natural, turning into some robot species, I think in some ways people need to go back to more primitive living or we are all gonna be in big trouble, help i need to move to some wilderness.
Gender selection doesn't prevent couples from performing naturally. When you look at the number of unnatural acts it takes for a couple to conceive a child, and compare it to the number of natural acts the have within their lives, I'm sure there's no comparison.

Gender selection isn't any more robotic than any other nonpreventive health service provided.

Looking4Peace
07-27-2006, 04:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
Gender selection doesn't prevent couples from performing naturally. When you look at the number of unnatural acts it takes for a couple to conceive a child, and compare it to the number of natural acts the have within their lives, I'm sure there's no comparison.

Gender selection isn't any more robotic than any other nonpreventive health service provided.

your funny its very robotic in fact i see it the same as being steralized when not needed, plastic surgery etc etc, be normal have a baby as God intended, being your Christian and all you should know that we shouldnt be messing around like that. And i dont agree with the acts to precieve a child other then natural sex, i say this because with the millions of children to adopt out there people are selfish enough to take tons of fertility drugs "cause i want my own baby" its very selfish, but maybe u dont see things as i do, so no arguement there.

P.s- Do to my failing ovaries i might be challenged when it comes to fertility and its already in my plans to adopt if i cant have one, in no ways am i taking any drugs or doing anything else nuts.

thahira
07-27-2006, 05:49 PM
your funny its very robotic in fact i see it the same as being steralized when not needed, plastic surgery etc etc, be normal have a baby as God intended, being your Christian and all you should know that we shouldnt be messing around like that. And i dont agree with the acts to precieve a child other then natural sex, i say this because with the millions of children to adopt out there people are selfish enough to take tons of fertility drugs "cause i want my own baby" its very selfish, but maybe u dont see things as i do, so no arguement there.

P.s- Do to my failing ovaries i might be challenged when it comes to fertility and its already in my plans to adopt if i cant have one, in no ways am i taking any drugs or doing anything else nuts.
Salam

Well I couldn't agree more with you sis in this matter, as married for five years and not be able to get a child most parents would defientely opt for having a invitro fertilisation so on whatever the technology offers.... But truly we are challenging God, sorry no offence to anyone it is just my own opinon.

I have waited this far willing to wait for Allah s.w.t to give me a child Insyallah I would just be happy whatever the gender would be. But if not I would just adopt one.

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thahira
Salam

Well I couldn't agree more with you sis in this matter, as married for five years and not be able to get a child most parents would defientely opt for having a invitro fertilisation so on whatever the technology offers.... But truly we are challenging God, sorry no offence to anyone it is just my own opinon.

I have waited this far willing to wait for Allah s.w.t to give me a child Insyallah I would just be happy whatever the gender would be. But if not I would just adopt one.
I need some clarification. It's my understanding that adoption is less personal in Islam. Is this correct? I've read that the parents don't give the child their last name and the child doesn't get inheritence rights.

Looking4Peace
07-27-2006, 07:33 PM
I dont know about the legalities of it but either way its seen as a good deed i think from the perspective of all faiths, better off being cared for with no inheritance (if this is in fact true) then living in institutional type places dont ya think?

rania2820
08-15-2006, 07:22 PM
i think scientist have too much time on their hands.why cant people just be happy that allah gives them a child.it shouldnt matter whether it is a girl or boy.

searchingsoul
08-19-2006, 05:41 PM
I dont know about the legalities of it but either way its seen as a good deed i think from the perspective of all faiths, better off being cared for with no inheritance (if this is in fact true) then living in institutional type places dont ya think?
I agree.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.