/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Quran teachings apply in current/old times

swanlake
07-20-2006, 03:40 PM
:sl:

How do we know that some Quran's teachings are not something that was only meant for those times - in the same way that some other verses are only meant for current times? How do scholars decide upon this?

What are the criteria for deciding that one verse doesn't apply because of context, whereas another one does?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
07-20-2006, 07:22 PM
:wasalamex

Allaahu ta'aala a'lam (Allaah Almighty knows best) sister, but i think that when a verse was abrogated, then the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings be upon him) would tell the sahabah (may Allaah Almighty be pleased with them) that from now on the ruling has changed etc. And these are recorded within the ahadith - hence the scholars would realise if a verse has been abrogated by referring to the ahadith which were narrated by the sahabah (radhiAllaahu anhum) themselves.

This links really useful too insha'Allaah:

The Abrogated Verses
http://www.youngmuslims.ca/online_li...an/Ch5S3s7.htm

:wasalamex

swanlake
07-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Salaam aleykum brother

I wasnt talking about the abrogated verses. I was talking about the verses that was meant for the Quraish at the time and the verses that apply today. How can we tell the difference?

------
07-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Hmm... interesting... anyone know?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
07-21-2006, 09:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by swanlake
Salaam aleykum brother

I wasnt talking about the abrogated verses. I was talking about the verses that was meant for the Quraish at the time and the verses that apply today. How can we tell the difference?
:sl:

can you give an example?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.