/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I notice something.

Skillganon
07-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Most of the people (inlucding me) here on this forum frequent the general chit chat, and the world affair but does not go into islamic education section frequently.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
07-20-2006, 08:00 PM
:salamext:

Yeah, i've noticed that too. I personally think that its not really that useful and alot of people think they can attack islam because of what is going on in the world right now.

A big mistake alot of us make is that we fall for the argument that some people might start, whereas we're better off if we just ignore them same old arguments, and instead - learn about islam so we can protect it with knowledge.

We have a straight way which is from the Qur'an and Sunnah, but the ones who are too attatched to this world - remember that it will perish anyway, and none of us will live in this world forever, we will all become that dust we once were..

:wasalamex

al-fateh
03-08-2007, 05:52 PM
i have been saying this for the longest, i even pmed the mods and admin about it, but i see nothing changed.

I see more trivia and fun games for members to play around with more than there is an Islamic talk

there are several times i posted Islamic material that get no reply at all or maybe just one or two, while other threads that include games have thousands of them

Skillganon
03-08-2007, 05:55 PM
lol bro.

The threads is 6 month old and this is the second reply.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
al-fateh
03-08-2007, 05:57 PM
subhanallah!!

regardless it should bring some attention to the staff and do something about it

dont u think akhi?

shible
03-08-2007, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Most of the people (inlucding me) here on this forum frequent the general chit chat, and the world affair but does not go into islamic education section frequently.
do u mean Basics of Islam section

or any thing else specific?

al-fateh
03-08-2007, 06:13 PM
i think what skill is trying to say is the forum is in lack of Islamic topics that can benefit Muslims rather than simple general talk

Skillganon
03-08-2007, 06:19 PM
I actually said many frequent other topics i.e. world affair and general chat more than the Islamic basic sections e.t.c

but that is just observation on number posts on each section.

It maybe they view and read the Islamic basic section but hardly have anything to post or add that they know.

So I can be quite wrong.

al-fateh
03-08-2007, 06:20 PM
i see it from the same stance bro...

i know exactly what u are talking about.

- Qatada -
03-08-2007, 06:34 PM

Any tips on what we can do bro? :)

al-fateh
03-08-2007, 06:36 PM
reduce the game forums

the halal fun, and the trivia

have mods start at least 2 Islamic topics DAILY

topics must be open to discussion, not just an article.

MASS PM the topics and encourage participation

- Qatada -
03-08-2007, 06:38 PM

jazak Allaah khayr, i'll put the ideas forward insha'Allaah.

shible
03-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Sure i have already started that but i can see some refinment in my posts

but anyhow i shall try to implement the 2 topics per day

tomtomsmom
03-08-2007, 06:48 PM
This is only my opinion, but it can be difficult for me to read the very long posts. There are so many words that I just don't understand so I have to look up what they mean and then I lose my place and have to start all over again. It can be very frustrating. Perhaps instead of just copy/paste a whole article people could take out the major points and post those and then link to the rest of the article if you want to read the whole thing.

Just an idea.

al-fateh
03-08-2007, 06:48 PM
long articles proved to be a failure to readers....

iqbal_soofi
03-08-2007, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

Yeah, i've noticed that too. I personally think that its not really that useful and alot of people think they can attack islam because of what is going on in the world right now.

A big mistake alot of us make is that we fall for the argument that some people might start, whereas we're better off if we just ignore them same old arguments, and instead - learn about islam so we can protect it with knowledge.

We have a straight way which is from the Qur'an and Sunnah, but the ones who are too attatched to this world - remember that it will perish anyway, and none of us will live in this world forever, we will all become that dust we once were..

Only a few people who don't have complete faith in Allah, therefore they think that Allah cannot protect Islam.

In fact Allah who sent Islam to make the lives better for Muslims in this world knows very well how to protect his deen. Then the holy prophet advised us to seek more knowledge not just from Quran and Sunnah but from everywhere to improve ourselves.

It's therefore, the duty of Muslims to get more knowledge (from everywhere) about the world and make their lives better and more respectable.

If we see that Muslims are not in a good shape these days, then we shouldn't blame them. We should do something to make them better off.

aamirsaab
03-08-2007, 06:50 PM
:sl:
With all due respect, it is upto the individual to post on a thread - no amount of rules or moderating will change that.

shible
03-08-2007, 06:51 PM
That's a really good thought sis.

i shall implement it on my next posts.

and i also have a thought to share

Carefully choosing a title is more worthy

since i have seen most of the members here first try to understand the title and then wish to open the threads

NoName55
03-08-2007, 06:56 PM

Any tips on what we can do bro? :)

another thing; you know, when you are engaged in a disscussion with a disbeliever and you are making a very decent progress in refuting him/her/them, then along comes a Muslim with little or no knowledge and butts in

or when an agent provocateur joins in

:w:

al-fateh
03-08-2007, 06:57 PM
members are free to post or not to a topic...

but the problem is not htat, the problem is with the lack of Islamic topics and the abundance in non-sense topics

shible
03-08-2007, 07:01 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by al-fateh

but the problem is not htat, the problem is with the lack of Islamic topics and the abundance in non-sense topics
yes i agree that

i have also tried one more thing that is

by providing all my threads into a single thread so that it would be easy to view. and i am also updating it

why not we categorize such valuable threads and post them as a single thread for easy viewing.

tomtomsmom
03-08-2007, 07:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55

another thing; you know, when you are engaged in a disscussion with a disbeliever and you are making a very decent progress in refuting him/her/them, then along comes a Muslim with little or no knowledge and butts in

or when an agent provocateur joins in

Yes that is true. I have had questions that I asked and getting very good answers that were most helpful and then it ends up getting hijacked by someone only wanting to argue.

That is another problem here. Good threads with legit questions go unanswered while the ones that are obviously there to start a fight have 4 pages of replies in 12 hours. It is a bit backwards if you ask me.

al-fateh
03-08-2007, 07:04 PM
another issue here on this forum is... topic closing

its either the forums way or no other way. the mentality of being perfect.

especially when it comes to belief matters and explanation.

why not leave room for people to express their opinion and express their thoughts?

NoName55
03-08-2007, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al-fateh

I bet, If I try to revive older, very good Islaamic discussions, it will *not be allowed* by atleast 3 of the staff here.

Brother Fi_Sabilillah (with Allah Ta'ala's blessings) is more than adequate at his job, in-fact he is excellent thus I stand by my assertion about people of no knowledge playing at being refuters as well as at least 7 people who are *NOT* Muslim but something else

- Qatada -
03-08-2007, 07:08 PM

We usually close threads which will become sectarian bro al fateh ^ and the threads we do close, we usually do it because people start insulting each other personally [which is common for some reason on the forum.]

shible
03-08-2007, 07:29 PM
i can even say some of the non-muslims who joined the forum have left due to such reasons.

so i would say that closing a thread is good , But viewing it from all aspects will give a clear idea whether to close it or not

iqbal_soofi
03-08-2007, 07:41 PM

We usually close threads which will become sectarian bro al fateh ^ and the threads we do close, we usually do it because people start insulting each other personally [which is common for some reason on the forum.]
That's the right policy to delete the posts when people start misbehaving with each other or if some people put vulgar stuff. But I've observed that posts are deleted that go against the belief (misbelief) of the mods.

al-fateh
03-08-2007, 07:43 PM

i disagree bro...

i opened a topic about the "face and hand" mentioned in the Quran relating to Allah, asking more proof and knowledge

the topic got closed, and the answer was YES Allah does have a hand and a face, but different....

how fair is this????

- Qatada -
03-08-2007, 07:52 PM

It's because beliefs are really important right? And we have to understand the Qur'an and Sunnah according to the understanding of the companions of the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him.)

Iqbal - yes we are allowed to have new things like technology, medicine and all that so long as it doesn't go past the boundaries of islaam, but things which are controversial (in regard to beliefs) are usually closed as they lead to sectarian issues.

That's why if you have any questions in regard to that - you can PM the mods, otherwise its forum rules that we're not allowed to discuss sectarian for the sake of uniting the muslims without having heated debates throughout the forum.

al-fateh
03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
how are we to learn the attributes of Allah then??????

this is aqeeda, and its a must know on every muslim...

iqbal_soofi
03-08-2007, 08:27 PM

It's because beliefs are really important right? And we have to understand the Qur'an and Sunnah according to the understanding of the companions of the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him.)

Iqbal - yes we are allowed to have new things like technology, medicine and all that so long as it doesn't go past the boundaries of islaam, but things which are controversial (in regard to beliefs) are usually closed as they lead to sectarian issues.

That's why if you have any questions in regard to that - you can PM the mods, otherwise its forum rules that we're not allowed to discuss sectarian for the sake of uniting the muslims without having heated debates throughout the forum.
What do you mean by the 'secterian'. The tafseers of Quran presented by different scholars in differnt times differed a lot of times which means that some beliefs were changed by the religious scholars themselves. Why it's not permitted for other Muslims to question or to discuss when they see some changes in the interpretaions? Who do authorise the religious scholars to make changes in the interpretations of Quran and Hadith? How can the Muslims be sure that the changes made in the interpretations of Quran by a reigious scholar or group of scholars are right?

al-fateh
03-08-2007, 08:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by iqbal_soofi
What do you mean by the 'secterian'. The tafseers of Quran presented by different scholars in differnt times differed a lot of times which means that some beliefs were changed by the religious scholars themselves. Why it's not permitted for other Muslims to question or to discuss when they see some changes in the interpretaions? Who do authorise the religious scholars to make changes in the interpretations of Quran and Hadith? How can the Muslims be sure that the changes made in the interpretations of Quran are right?
thats exactly my point....

cz u will find scholars who will say and disagree with others, even though they have used hadith and quranic references.

like the isue with the face of Allah....some scholars differ from others on that aspect.

- Qatada -
03-08-2007, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by iqbal_soofi
What do you mean by the 'secterian'. The tafseers of Quran presented by different scholars in differnt times differed a lot of times which means that some beliefs were changed by the religious scholars themselves. Why it's not permitted for other Muslims to question or to discuss when they see some changes in the interpretaions? Who do authorise the religious scholars to make changes in the interpretations of Quran and Hadith? How can the Muslims be sure that the changes made in the interpretations of Quran are right?

If you look at the tafsir of ibn kathir for example, you'll see many times throughout that he quotes someone called Mujaahid. Mujaahid was the student of Abdullah Ibn Abbaas, who was the cousin of the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him.) And obviously Ibn Abbaas got his understanding of Qur'an from the Messenger of Allaah himself, and the other companions. So if we look at the tafsir - we'll see that the companions of the Messenger of Allaah believed that Allaah has a Hand as stated in Qur'an, instead of hand simply meaning Authority, and Allaah does have a face because the companions understood it that way.

www.tafsir.com

Brother al-fateh, i agree with you in a way - however there are articles on the forum which are similar to that. They are the views of the ahlus sunnah [people of sunnah] and those aren't deleted, the ones which are closed are those which lead to arguments, however before a mod usually closes it - they link to other threads which are related to a similar subject. If you want, i can try to find you some related to what you're looking for insha'Allaah.

al-fateh
03-08-2007, 08:35 PM
why link the threads or merge them?

every thread has the eligibilty on reaching a common ground of agreement, those which are closed are closed, but i see people moving forward to close a thread rather than get to an answer

- Qatada -
03-08-2007, 08:39 PM

Akhi trust me, its a hard job to go to different parts of the forums and to see the same arguments being started all over again, so by closing them and linking them to a previous thread [which probably had a similar argument anyway] - it makes the job easier and we don't have to go through the whole 20 page thread to delete all the insults in the new thread again.

England
03-08-2007, 08:43 PM
I don't have interest in "Islam" but the attitudes of muslims. I'm only interested in their way of thinking.

iqbal_soofi
03-08-2007, 08:54 PM

If you look at the tafsir of ibn kathir for example, you'll see many times throughout that he quotes someone called Mujaahid. Mujaahid was the student of Abdullah Ibn Abbaas, who was the cousin of the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him.) And obviously Ibn Abbaas got his understanding of Qur'an from the Messenger of Allaah himself, and the other companions. So if we look at the tafsir - we'll see that the companions of the Messenger of Allaah believed that Allaah has a Hand as stated in Qur'an, instead of hand simply meaning Authority, and Allaah does have a face because the companions understood it that way.

www.tafsir.com
Did the messenger of Allah authorise anybody to do the tafsir of Quran or people do it on their own?

What about the companions of the messenger of Allah? Did all of them understand Quran in the same way? If so then why they had differences which resulted in some wars too? What was the reason, they couldn't resolve their differences in the light of Quran and Hadith? Did the religious scholars decreased the differences with Quran and Hadith or did they increase it? Can we get help from Quran to resolve those differences now?

al-fateh
03-08-2007, 08:56 PM
tafsir was done by the companions brother yes, as well as the naskh

- Qatada -
03-08-2007, 09:09 PM

There were different companions in different situations in the lifetime of the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him), if you look at the seerah and also the Qur'an - some verses are talking about the wives of the Messenger of Allaah, while others are talking about the hypocrites for example.

Now all the companions weren't always with the Messenger of Allaah at the same time, as some would have to work, while others would follow the Messenger of Allaah on an empty stomach etc.

If the companions were with the Messenger of Allaah on different situations, the moment he recieved revelation - the ones who were with him understood that the verse was revealed within that specific situation. If they weren't there, they may not have heard of it and the ones who were there may have explained to them why a certain verse was revealed.

We also know that there were other companions who only became muslim later on [i.e. after the conquest of Makkah] and therefore they never had the best understanding of Qur'an, compared to the earlier companions. This may have been one of the reasons why they never had the full context of the verse.

So you see how if you look in the tafsir, especially ibn kathir - you'll see that he mentions many ahadith within the lifetime of the Messenger of Allaah and why they were revealed, i.e. for what situation. And you see that a companion narrates them.

You'll also see that there are certain situations within the lifetime of the Messenger of Allaah when he will ask the companions a question, they will say "Allaahu wa Rasooluhu a'lam" (Allaah and His Messenger know best.) And then he will tell them the answer, which usually explains certain things from the Qur'an. So the Messenger of Allaah taught the interpretation of the Qur'an to his companions also.

And Allaah Almighty knows best.

snakelegs
03-08-2007, 09:49 PM
i assume you mean the "basics of islam" and its sub-forums.
i go there much more than "world affairs" which is a lot of people jumping up and down and screaming at each other.
i've learned a lot there as well as from links that i've found there.
so the sections are appreciated by those who do visit there even if more people like "world affairs". i think some people really enjoy getting angry.

Muslim Woman
03-09-2007, 12:30 PM

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&

format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
---sometimes i avoid religious threads because it's hard to tolerate rude /aggresive comments on Islam . I avoid some topics though sounds very interesting if i see specific participants +o( are taking part there .

aamirsaab
03-09-2007, 03:20 PM
A good thread doesn't require 100 posts.

S_87
03-09-2007, 03:41 PM

meaning theres no replies doesnt mean its not being read. i personally read quite a few things in the islamic section but dont always reply because ive got nothing to say cept jazakAllah.

that could be the case with others too

jzcasejz
03-09-2007, 04:00 PM
As A Board Itself, I Think That This Message Board Has Done Enough To Provide And Spread Islamic Knowledge To All. The Fact That Not Much People Read/Spend Time In The Islamic Sections Is Their Choice I Guess. It Is Ones Desire And Thirst For Knowledge That'll Make Them Seek Knowledge.

So, You Can Have Suggestions On How To Make People Participate In Topics, But As For The Restrictions On The Halal Fun Section That Somebody Suggested...Personally I Dont Think That's A Good Idea...Because That's Like Forcing Them In A Way, If You Get Wat Im Sayin...

I Think We Need Suggestions On Making It More Appealing To Them, Not By Means Of Force. And As For Suggestions, I Ain't Got Any :-[, Sorry...I'll Post If I Have Any Though...

IbnAbdulHakim
03-09-2007, 04:07 PM
i frequent cybercounselling most :X

but i understand, its just i get most islamic knowledge from talks and books and i guess it might be same for most. hmm

:)

shible
03-09-2007, 05:29 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by shible
Sure i have already started that but i can see some refinment in my posts

but anyhow i shall try to implement the 2 topics per day

As i told you i have posted more than two topics

If you wish you can view them

Muhammad
03-09-2007, 06:05 PM

About long articles... there was a thread about that here: http://www.islamicboard.com/comments...-articles.html You can add your suggestions there Insha'Allaah.

As members, you can also help the staff by reporting when a thread gets hijacked or when you see arguments breaking out etc. You simply have to click on the red button (appearance depends on your forum skin) which says 'Report Post' and this notifies us immediately of a problem.

These issues of members being argumentative or spending too much time on idle topics are worth contemplating over and trying to address. As Muslims, we should avoid getting angry with one another and we should spend our time wisely, ensuring that our posts on this forum do not go against Islamic teachings such as freemixing with the opposite gender.

Closing and merging threads most often occurs because members have not used the search facility or just didn't find other threads on the same topic.

It should also be noted that our source of knowledge is the Qur'an and the Sunnah, as it was understood by the noble companions, may Allaah have mercy upon them all. Therefore it is our responsibility to ensure that all knowledge propagated on this forum matches up to this standard and is authentic information. We should remember our place and our limitations. Expressing personal opinions is fine in many places but when it comes to Islamic knowledge, then there is no room for such things. Islam is based upon firm foundations. If people wish to discuss an issue and try to understand it from the Islam perspective (so long as it is within the capability of the members), that is good and well, but the moment someone begins speaking without knowledge, then it is our duty to take action accordingly.

Skillganon
03-10-2007, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

meaning theres no replies doesnt mean its not being read. i personally read quite a few things in the islamic section but dont always reply because ive got nothing to say cept jazakAllah.

that could be the case with others too

I think I realized, and I did mention it in the later post.

snakelegs
03-14-2007, 09:45 PM
as i said already, i like this section and learn a lot there. sometimes i wish there were more replies. sometimes a mod will answer first and then it seems like others are reluctant to for some reason.
on the other hand, the "discover islam" section i find pretty boring.
yes - the long copy and paste articles are really hard to read even when i am interested in the subject. i'd like it a lot more if people shared their thoughts on a subject rather than copy and paste someone else's.

Hashim_507
03-14-2007, 09:55 PM
I am interest in the Islamic Education section but nobody really cares about the thread i will post. We need to tackle that problems, politics is on our way, dunya issues. At the same i have to discussed the muslim brothers and sisters that are being oppressed by tyrants. Its another issue we should tackle too, its growing problem and we should not ignored.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.