PDA

View Full Version : Use of Itr (Perfume)



thahira
07-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Salam

Question: How does and when can we use the Itr (perfume).? Is there a guidelines for man & woman. :?


Wassalam
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mohammed H Kahn
07-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by thahira
Salam

Question: How does and when can we use the Itr (perfume).? Is there a guidelines for man & woman. :?
Wassalam
:sl:
I think there is no hard and fast rule for use of perfume. It may depend on the common sense of the users, men or women. But most of the perfumes contain alcohol and a Muslim may not use any alcoholic perfume from the point of view in that drinking alcohol is prohibited.
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
07-22-2006, 01:25 AM
I think(not sure).. perfume is prohibited for women.

Only men are allowed to use it.

Allah will be pleased with u if u dont use a perfume which contains alcohol.
Reply

thahira
07-22-2006, 03:46 AM
Salam

Yes understand the use of perfume for women but WHat I menat here was the use of Itr, (Attar) (perfume) which normally used for prayers purpose well in this regards of course it is non-alchohol. Is there a guidelines for man and women.?

wasssalam
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Looking4Peace
07-22-2006, 04:02 AM
perfume can be used as long as its not like permieating and doesnt attract attention, can be used in the company of husband and wife alone, be more specific
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-22-2006, 05:48 PM
wearing Atr is sunnah right? jus wanna make sure... or was it wearing musk :? Which ones sunnah?
Reply

*noor
07-22-2006, 05:53 PM
i don't think that just because there's alcohol in perfume that makes it haraam

what about rubbing alcohol?? thats not haraam
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by *noor
i don't think that just because there's alcohol in perfume that makes it haraam

what about rubbing alcohol?? thats not haraam


and ask youself this, is it ok to stand in front of Allah reeking of that which he forbade you?

:salamext:
Reply

*noor
07-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Majed
be careful about what you say.

and ask youself this, is it ok to stand in front of Allah reeking of that which he forbade you?

:salamext:
my dad asked more than one sheikh about this a while back and the majority said that its not haraam


besides the alcohol in rubbing alcohol and perfume is not from the same chemical makeup as the kind found is beer and liquor......ill get you a source inshaAllah just bear with me because i have a couple of things on my hands now.
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by *noor
my dad asked more than one sheikh about this a while back and the majority said that its not haraam


besides the alcohol in rubbing alcohol and perfume is not from the same chemical makeup as the kind found is beer and liquor......ill get you a source inshaAllah just bear with me because i have a couple of things on my hands now.
lol its kool, i'll avoid wearing it neway :)
Reply

IceQueen~
07-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Hadith - Abu Dawood 4162, Narrated Imran ibn Husayn, r.a. (similar hadith found in At-Tirmidhi #4443)

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: I do not ride on purple, or wear a garment dyed with saffron, or wear shirt hemmed with silk. Pointing to the collar of his shirt al-Hasan (al-Basri) said: The perfume used by men should have an odour but no colour, and the perfume used by women should have a colour but no odour. Sa'id said: I think he said: They interpreted his tradition about perfume used by women as applying when she comes out. But when she is with her husband, she may use any perfume she wishes.


Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari #1.258, Narrated 'Aisha, r.a.

Whenever the Prophet took the bath of Janaba (sexual relation or wet dream) he asked for the Hilab or some other scent. He used to take it in his hand, rub it first over the right side of his head and then over the left and then rub the middle of his head with both hands.

Hadith - Abu Dawood #4162, Narrated Imran ibn Husayn, r.a. (similar hadith found in At-Tirmidhi #4443)

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said ..."The perfume used by men should have an odour but no colour..."

Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari #7.805, Narrated 'Aisha, r.a.

I applied perfume to the Prophet with my own hands when he wanted to assume the state of Ihram, and I also perfumed him at Mina before he departed from there (to perform Tawaf-al-Ifada).

Hadith - Abu Dawood #4166, Narrated Abu Musa, r.a.

The Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) said: Allah does not accept the prayer of a man who has any khaluq (perfume composed of saffron) on his body


Hadith - Abu Dawood 4162, Narrated Imran ibn Husayn, r.a. (similar hadith found in At-Tirmidhi #4443)

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: I do not ride on purple, or wear a garment dyed with saffron, or wear shirt hemmed with silk. Pointing to the collar of his shirt al-Hasan (al-Basri) said: The perfume used by men should have an odour but no colour, and the perfume used by women should have a colour but no odour. Sa'id said: I think he said: They interpreted his tradition about perfume used by women as applying when she comes out. But when she is with her husband, she may use any perfume she wishes.

Hadith - Abu Dawood #4162, Narrated Abu Huraira, r.a.

A woman met him and he found the odour of perfume in her. Her clothes were fluttering in the air. He said: O maid-servant of the Almighty, are you coming from the mosque? She replied: Yes. He said: For it did you use perfume? She replied: Yes. He said: I heard my beloved AbulQasim (peace be upon him) say: The prayer of a woman who uses perfume for this mosque is not accepted until she returns and takes a bath like that of sexual defilement (perfectly).

Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari #7.255, Narrated Um Atiyya, r.a.

The Prophet (saaws) said, "It is not lawful for a lady who believes in Allah and the Last Day, to mourn for more than three days for a dead person, except for her husband, in which case she should neither put kohl in her eyes, nor perfume herself, nor wear dyed clothes, except a garment of 'Asb." Um 'Atiyya added: The Prophet (saaws) said, "She should not use perfume except when she becomes clean from her menses whereupon she can use Qust, and Azfar (two kinds of incense)."

Hadith - At-Tirmidhi #1065, Narrated Abu Musa, r.a.

Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: Every eye is lustful and when a woman applies perfume and then goes about in an assembly, she is like such and such, i.e. an adulteress


Hadith - Abu Dawood 4162, Narrated Imran ibn Husayn, r.a. (similar hadith found in At-Tirmidhi #4443)

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: I do not ride on purple, or wear a garment dyed with saffron, or wear shirt hemmed with silk. Pointing to the collar of his shirt al-Hasan (al-Basri) said: The perfume used by men should have an odour but no colour, and the perfume used by women should have a colour but no odour. Sa'id said: I think he said: They interpreted his tradition about perfume used by women as applying when she comes out. But when she is with her husband, she may use any perfume she wishes.

Hadith - Abu Dawood #4162, Narrated Abu Huraira, r.a.

A woman met him and he found the odour of perfume in her. Her clothes were fluttering in the air. He said: O maid-servant of the Almighty, are you coming from the mosque? She replied: Yes. He said: For it did you use perfume? She replied: Yes. He said: I heard my beloved AbulQasim (peace be upon him) say: The prayer of a woman who uses perfume for this mosque is not accepted until she returns and takes a bath like that of sexual defilement (perfectly).

Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari #7.255, Narrated Um Atiyya, r.a.

The Prophet (saaws) said, "It is not lawful for a lady who believes in Allah and the Last Day, to mourn for more than three days for a dead person, except for her husband, in which case she should neither put kohl in her eyes, nor perfume herself, nor wear dyed clothes, except a garment of 'Asb." Um 'Atiyya added: The Prophet (saaws) said, "She should not use perfume except when she becomes clean from her menses whereupon she can use Qust, and Azfar (two kinds of incense)."

Hadith - At-Tirmidhi #1065, Narrated Abu Musa, r.a.

Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: Every eye is lustful and when a woman applies perfume and then goes about in an assembly, she is like such and such, i.e. an adulteress
Reply

H4RUN
07-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Majed
wearing Atr is sunnah right? jus wanna make sure... or was it wearing musk :? Which ones sunnah?
:sl:
people nowadays can pay loads and loads of money in search for the best perfume, the best scent, but nothing can be comparible to the smell of musk in the form of perspiration from Prophet Muhammad [pbuh]
:w:
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-22-2006, 07:38 PM
jazakALlah khair marya!!!!


Hadith - Sahih Al-Bukhari #1.258, Narrated 'Aisha, r.a.

Whenever the Prophet took the bath of Janaba (sexual relation or wet dream) he asked for the Hilab or some other scent. He used to take it in his hand, rub it first over the right side of his head and then over the left and then rub the middle of his head with both hands.



whats hilab sis :?
Reply

- Qatada -
07-22-2006, 07:44 PM
:salamext:


Check out hilab from here insha'Allaah:

http://www.islamicgoodsdirect.co.uk/...oducts_id/2004

http://www.onlineislamicshop.co.uk/i.../cPath/107_159



this is a useful link too insha'Allaah azawajal:

http://muttaqun.com/perfume.html


:wasalamex
Reply

Daffodil
07-22-2006, 08:08 PM
The point of reference for Islamic rulings must be the texts of the Qur’aan and Sunnah, not one’s own opinion, mood, desire or ideas about what is nice. Concerning this very issue many reports have been narrated which strictly forbid this (women wearing perfume when they go out). These reports include saheeh ahaadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade women to wear perfume when they go out of their houses:

Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Any woman who puts on perfume then passes by people so that they can smell her fragrance, is an adulteress.”

Zaynab al-Thaqafiyyah reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you (women) goes out to the mosque, let her not touch any perfume.”

Abu Hurayrah said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Any woman who has scented herself with bakhoor (incense), let her not attend ‘Ishaa’ prayers with us.”

Moosa ibn Yassaar said that a woman passed by Abu Hurayrah and her scent was overpowering. He said, “O female slave of al-Jabbaar, are you going to the mosque?” She said, “Yes,” He said, “And have you put on perfume because of that?” She said, “Yes.” He said, “Go back and wash yourself, for I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: ‘If a woman comes out to the mosque and her fragrance is overpowering, Allaah will not accept any prayer from her until she goes home and washes herself.’”

The reason for this prohibition is quite clear, which is that women’s fragrance may cause undue provocation of desires. The scholars also included other things under this heading of things to be avoided by women who want to go to the mosque, such as beautiful clothes, jewellery that can be seen, excessive adornments and mingling with men. See Fath al-Baari, 2/279.

Ibn Daqeeq al-‘Eed said:

This indicates that it is forbidden for a woman who wants to go to the mosque to wear perfume, because this causes provocation of men’s desires. This was reported by al-Manaawi in Fayd al-Qadeer, in the commentary on the first hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah quoted above.

Having examined all this saheeh evidence, there can be no room for debate or argument. Muslim women have to understand the seriousness of the issue and the sin involved in going against this shar’i ruling. They should remember that they are going out to seek reward, not to fall into sin. We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound.

By the way, we recently read that biologists have discovered a sexual gland in the nose, i.e., there is a direct connection between the sense of smell and the provocation of desire. If this is true, then it is one of the signs that prove even to the kuffaar how precise are the rulings of this sharee’ah which came to preserve chastity and to block the ways that lead to immorality.



Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

the prophet saw sed that the two wordly things that he loved was women and perfume.

attr is a sunnah of the prophet saw and men are recommended to wear it.

women however arnt allowed to wear it out, only for their husbands.
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-22-2006, 09:05 PM
is hilab like incense>? i might buy some :D
Reply

H4RUN
07-22-2006, 09:41 PM
:sl:
isit the product that looks like a chopped version of soap? this soap like product is rubbed on to your clothes or body i guess, me and my coousin went looking for it few days ago, it's called mushk something....
:w:
Reply

amirah_87
07-22-2006, 09:43 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

yeah we have sum of that stuff lying around sumwhere!!, it's real nice.:happy:

if you live in the UK you can find it @ the ZamZam bookstores inshallah:peace:
Reply

Looking4Peace
07-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by *noor
my dad asked more than one sheikh about this a while back and the majority said that its not haraam


besides the alcohol in rubbing alcohol and perfume is not from the same chemical makeup as the kind found is beer and liquor......ill get you a source inshaAllah just bear with me because i have a couple of things on my hands now.

exactly two totally different types of alcohol, the rubbing alcohol cannot be drank and is of different properties, they use it in hospitals duh, it kills bacteria. You are right though, i was confused about this in the beginning.
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-23-2006, 12:04 AM
the prophet used to apply perfume...i think it is a sunnat...but im guessing it has to be without alcohol...correct me if im wrong.. i think its right. >,<
Reply

Malaikah
07-23-2006, 03:53 AM
Originally Posted by *noor
i don't think that just because there's alcohol in perfume that makes it haraam

what about rubbing alcohol?? thats not haraam
Exaclty. Alcohol is just a common name given to certain chemical compounds because they have something in common on a chemical level. Ethanol is the type of alcohol that is in beer and intoxicating drinks, and is unlawful, but just because other chemicals are called alcohols it doesnt mean they are intoxicating and therefore haram.

If that doesnt make sense, a dumb example would be like saying mammal is the name given to a certain group of animals, and pig is a mammal which is haram. but that doesnt mean that all mammals are haram. the same way that the alcohol ethanol is haram, but that doesnt mean all alcohols are haram.

For a fatwa see here.

So just because a perfume says alcohol on it, its doesnt mean that it is ethanol. But you might want to check just in case because i have no idea if they use ethanol in perfumes lol.

:w:
Reply

Daffodil
07-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Question :


What is the ruling on using perfumes which contain some alcohol?

Answer :

If a person knows that there is a perfume which contains something that would prevent its use, such as intoxicants or impure materials (najaasah), then he should not use it. That includes colognes, because we know from the testimony of the doctors that they are not free from intoxicants. They contain a large amount of alcohol which is an intoxicant. So we should not use them unless we find kinds which are free of such materials. There are enough kinds of permissible perfumes to leave us with no need for these, praise be to Allaah. The same applies to all kinds of drinks or foods which contain intoxicants – we should not use them. The guideline is that whatever intoxicates in large quantities is haraam in small quantities. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whatever intoxicates in large quantities is haraam in small quantities.” And Allaah is the source of strength.



Shaykh ‘Abd-Alazeez ibn Baaz (www.islam-qa.com)


Q: Is it permissible to use a perfume, deodorant, etc. which contains alcohol, and if so, can one perform Salaat without washing it off?

A: It is not permissible to use deodorants that contain alcohol from grapes or date extracts. Such perfumes are impure and Salaat with it is invalid. However, if the alcohol is synthetic, it is pure and permissible to use. Salaat without washing off such perfumes will be valid. Sometimes, it becomes difficult to differentiate between genuine and synthetic alcohol. Thus, to be on the safe side, one should rather prefer using deodorants and perfumes that are labelled as alcohol-free, especially when such perfumes are easily available. (Mufti M Saeed Motara; Azaadville)

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai


Question
What is the Islamic views of Muslims using cosmetics, e.g. lipstick, foundation, perfume, after-shave, etc.or even consuming food that has traces (not the main ingredient) of alcohol in them.

Question 6(a) Principally, if the alcohol is extracted from grapes or dates it is not permissible. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu &#193;layhi Wasallam) said, "Khamr (wine) is from these two trees, dates and grapes." (Mishk&#227;t p. 317). Furthermore, Rasulullah (Sallallaahu &#193;layhi Wasallam) said, 'Alcohol itself is prohibited and intoxication in every other beverage.' (Hidaaya vol. 4 p. 497).

However, if the alcohol in foods is not from dates or grape extract but from, for example, ethanol which is fermented from sugar cane mollasses and does not intoxicate, then it is permissible.

Question 6 (b) A: It is not permissible to use cosmetics that contain alcohol from grapes or date extracts. Such cosmetics are impure and Salaat with it is invalid. However, if the alcohol is synthetic, it is pure and permissible to use. Salaat without washing off such cosmetics will be valid. Sometimes, it becomes difficult to differentiate between genuine and synthetic alcohol.
Thus, to be on the safe side, one should rather prefer using cosmetics that are labelled as 'alcohol-free', especially when such cosmetics are easily available.

By Mufti Ebrahim Desai

http://askimam.org/search/keywordSea...p?keyw=perfume
Reply

Malaikah
07-23-2006, 11:52 AM
:sl:

^I think the key point there is that just because something is an alcohol, does not mean it is also an intoxicant.
Reply

Daffodil
07-23-2006, 12:24 PM
the point is that there are hadith regarding anything that is haram, i.e intoxicants are haram not just in large quantities but even in small quantities, even if its too small to intoxicate u, yes ur not drinking it but u can inhale it and it can go into ur blood stream n some scholars also differ on the opinion as to whether it is najis or not. so therefore ur namaz wudnt be valid if it was on ur clothes etc.

there are numerous hadith regarding avoiding that which is doubtful so even with a slight doubt we shud avoid such things especialy when there are alcohol free perfumes out there made especialy for us muslims such as attr.
Reply

thahira
07-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Daffodil
The point of reference for Islamic rulings must be the texts of the Qur’aan and Sunnah, not one’s own opinion, mood, desire or ideas about what is nice. Concerning this very issue many reports have been narrated which strictly forbid this (women wearing perfume when they go out). These reports include saheeh ahaadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade women to wear perfume when they go out of their houses:

Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Any woman who puts on perfume then passes by people so that they can smell her fragrance, is an adulteress.”

Zaynab al-Thaqafiyyah reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you (women) goes out to the mosque, let her not touch any perfume.”

Abu Hurayrah said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Any woman who has scented herself with bakhoor (incense), let her not attend ‘Ishaa’ prayers with us.”

Moosa ibn Yassaar said that a woman passed by Abu Hurayrah and her scent was overpowering. He said, “O female slave of al-Jabbaar, are you going to the mosque?” She said, “Yes,” He said, “And have you put on perfume because of that?” She said, “Yes.” He said, “Go back and wash yourself, for I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: ‘If a woman comes out to the mosque and her fragrance is overpowering, Allaah will not accept any prayer from her until she goes home and washes herself.’”

The reason for this prohibition is quite clear, which is that women’s fragrance may cause undue provocation of desires. The scholars also included other things under this heading of things to be avoided by women who want to go to the mosque, such as beautiful clothes, jewellery that can be seen, excessive adornments and mingling with men. See Fath al-Baari, 2/279.

Ibn Daqeeq al-‘Eed said:

This indicates that it is forbidden for a woman who wants to go to the mosque to wear perfume, because this causes provocation of men’s desires. This was reported by al-Manaawi in Fayd al-Qadeer, in the commentary on the first hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah quoted above.

Having examined all this saheeh evidence, there can be no room for debate or argument. Muslim women have to understand the seriousness of the issue and the sin involved in going against this shar’i ruling. They should remember that they are going out to seek reward, not to fall into sin. We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound.

By the way, we recently read that biologists have discovered a sexual gland in the nose, i.e., there is a direct connection between the sense of smell and the provocation of desire. If this is true, then it is one of the signs that prove even to the kuffaar how precise are the rulings of this sharee’ah which came to preserve chastity and to block the ways that lead to immorality.



Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

the prophet saw sed that the two wordly things that he loved was women and perfume.

attr is a sunnah of the prophet saw and men are recommended to wear it.

women however arnt allowed to wear it out, only for their husbands.
Salam sis

Thanks for the info, indeed it is a good post.

Wassalam
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 05:40 PM
  2. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 09:30 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 10:15 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2007, 09:37 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 09:52 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!