/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Singular and Plural in Qur'an

imrano
07-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Can somebody explain why Allah uses Sometimes the singular and sometimes plural?
-""
- If We had so willed, We could have given every soul its guidance, but now My Word is realised - 'I shall fill Hell with jinn and men together. (chapter32 verse13)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Daffodil
07-21-2006, 08:25 PM
We shudnt read too much into these things because we dnt know why Allah ses this n that n does certain things because only he alone knows everything.

He hasnt ever told us why he uses we so any reasons we come up with are pointless n baseless.

However I think he refers to himself as we sometimes due to his so many attributes.

azim
07-21-2006, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by imrano
Can somebody explain why Allah uses Sometimes the singular and sometimes plural?
-""
- If We had so willed, We could have given every soul its guidance, but now My Word is realised - 'I shall fill Hell with jinn and men together. (chapter32 verse13)
Asalaamu alaykum.

'We' used in Arabic in the same was as the Royal 'We' in English. To exalt and honour the speaker.

Also, those who are familiar with the Quran note that different tenses (past/present/future) and pronouns (I, Us, We, You (sing.), You (pl.) are used in different circumstances (talking to Muslims, to the Prophet, about the kuffar etc...) although I don't know too much about this myself so I can't explain it any further.

Daffodil
07-21-2006, 09:09 PM
yea even the queen refers to her self as we.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.