/* */

PDA

View Full Version : *Embryonic Stem-Cell Research* Halal or Haram!?

Taqiyah
07-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Asalama Alaikum.
:sister:

Millions of people suffer from cancer, Aids, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, spinal cord injuries and other debilitating diseases and disorders for which embryonic stem cell research holds great promise in finding new and better treatments and cures. With further research cure for AIDS could also be found. but with the present state of technology, Opponents of the starting a stem cell 'line' requires the destruction of a human embryo and/or therapeutic cloning. research argue that this practice is a slippery slope to reproductive cloning and tantamount to the instrumentalization of a potential human being.
I was just wondering if this research is Islamicly Haram or Halal:?...it has a good n beneficial side but to get there u would have to take a human live.:X
What do u guys think.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strider
07-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Assalamu alaikum

That's a tough one. InshaAllah, somebody more knowledgable maybe able to help us both out, sister! :D

Ma'assalama

limitless
07-24-2006, 09:57 PM
:sl:

I am interested in the response to that question, from an islamic perspective of course.

:w:

Taqiyah
07-25-2006, 01:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Assalamu alaikum

That's a tough one. InshaAllah, somebody more knowledgable maybe able to help us both out, sister! :D

Ma'assalama

InshaAllah.:D Now where is that someone.:? This question has been botherin me 4 such a long time:rollseyes

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
soulsociety
07-25-2006, 01:31 AM

You can find stem cells in the placenta and umbilical cord and even in Adult tissue, bone marrow etc. Doesn't have to be from embryos.

Taqiyah
07-25-2006, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by soulsociety

You can find stem cells in the placenta and umbilical cord and even in Adult tissue, bone marrow etc. Doesn't have to be from embryos.

Excuse me........I meant "Embryonic Stem-Cell Research":D

MUNIRAH
07-25-2006, 03:06 AM
salam:sister:

I disagree with embryonic stem cell research, not because I'm against progress, or against fighting diseases such as alzheimers, or anything like that, but because I believe that an embryo - even under 14 days - is still a human being. Nothing happens to it but an unpacking of genetic material after it is first conceived, no additions to suddenly 'make it' human, thus... if it is a human prior to being born... I don't want it treated as simply a 'thing', with no say over what is done to it. We make a big fuss over horrible things happening to babies, that have been born. If they'd never had the chance to get past the womb, for instance if they'd been aborted, it's unlikely anyone would care.SubhanaAllah:heated: ... yet the only difference between them and an unborn child is a few months. embryos, We're stronger than they are - does that give us the right to dictate what happens to them?:X the answer is no........subhanaAllah.

Woodrow
07-25-2006, 03:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MUNIRAH
salam:sister:

I disagree with embryonic stem cell research, not because I'm against progress, or against fighting diseases such as alzheimers, or anything like that, but because I believe that an embryo - even under 14 days - is still a human being. Nothing happens to it but an unpacking of genetic material after it is first conceived, no additions to suddenly 'make it' human, thus... if it is a human prior to being born... I don't want it treated as simply a 'thing', with no say over what is done to it. We make a big fuss over horrible things happening to babies, that have been born. If they'd never had the chance to get past the womb, for instance if they'd been aborted, it's unlikely anyone would care.SubhanaAllah:heated: ... yet the only difference between them and an unborn child is a few months. embryos, We're stronger than they are - does that give us the right to dictate what happens to them?:X the answer is no........subhanaAllah.
I agree 100% with that. Any research that depends upon the termination of a human life, no matter what the stage of development, is murder. I can not view it as anything but murder and murder is definetly haraam. Now, that does not mean there needs to be an end to stem-cell research. There are other sources of stem-cells besides embryos. Sources that do not require the termination of a life. So far I have not found anything that would make stem-cell research haraam, but I believe it needs to be verified that the source of the cells is not haraam.

MUNIRAH
07-25-2006, 03:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I agree 100% with that. Any research that depends upon the termination of a human life, no matter what the stage of development, is murder. I can not view it as anything but murder and murder is definetly haraam. Now, that does not mean there needs to be an end to stem-cell research. There are other sources of stem-cells besides embryos. Sources that do not require the termination of a life. So far I have not found anything that would make stem-cell research haraam, but I believe it needs to be verified that the source of the cells is not haraam.

Exactly brother.........so that would make the ESCR haraam then.....right:?

mlsh27
07-25-2006, 03:37 AM
I agree that it would be haram since abortion is also haram.

Taqiyah
07-25-2006, 03:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mlsh27
I agree that it would be haram since abortion is also haram.

what about the million lives being saved..by this research....isn't that somethin too:? :?

mlsh27
07-25-2006, 04:00 AM
I am not saying let's not find solutions, but I think since it would include abortion, than obviously Allah swt does not want these diseases cured this way.

Woodrow
07-25-2006, 07:32 AM
Keep in mind stem cell research can be done without the use of embryos. The question was in regards to Embryonic stem cell research. From all I can see is that would require an abortion. However, stem cell research can still be done without the need of an aborted foetus. As far as stem cell research being haraam, I believe that would be determined on the purpose of the research.

I have full confidence that if good can be obtained from anything, Allah(swt) will grant us the knowledge to do it in a manner that is not haraam. We just can't always take what looks like the easiest and cheapest path.

Takumi
07-25-2006, 05:02 PM
The embryonic stem cell researchers want to use the UNUSED embryos in fertility clinics which would otherwise be thrown away since they are not used.

Their argument is, since the embryos are going to be thrown away anyway (terminated?) why not use them for therapeutic purposes?

I'm gonna pass this one.

Taqiyah
07-25-2006, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Takumi
The embryonic stem cell researchers want to use the UNUSED embryos in fertility clinics which would otherwise be thrown away since they are not used.
throwing them away or using them 4 research=in both cases the embryos are killed...right?:? :?

Woodrow
07-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Their argument is, since the embryos are going to be thrown away anyway (terminated?) why not use them for therapeutic purposes?

On the surface that makes sense and seems justifiable. But, it is also a statement that condones the death of the foetus and encourages it. Sort of like a person saying "Since my neighbor already robbed the bank, I should help him spend the money"

Taqiyah
07-25-2006, 07:19 PM
As far as stem cell research being haraam, I believe that would be determined on the purpose of the research.

well we already know the purpose of the research is to find cures 4 many life threatening diseases.:rollseyes :?

Woodrow
07-25-2006, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah
well we already know the purpose of the research is to find cures 4 many life threatening diseases.:rollseyes :?
That does appear to be a valid purpose. However, keep in mind other lines of research could be directed more in terms of military usage. Such as how to develope the ultimate soldier, how to geneticaly alter humans before birth for excellence in specific roles. How, to develope weapons that damage specific reagons of the body. ETC.

If a wrong reason can be found, us humans will find it and find support of it. This is why I state that the purpose is important.

Taqiyah
07-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Such as how to develope the ultimate soldier, how to geneticaly alter humans before birth for excellence in specific roles. How, to develope weapons that damage specific reagons of the body. ETC.

wooooow! 4 real?....I neva knew about that....:heated:

Woodrow
07-25-2006, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah
wooooow! 4 real?....I neva knew about that....:heated:
For real. With just my limited understanding of Stem-cell research I can see the potential for military use.

Historicaly, nearly all things became priority of development out of an attempt to be used as a weapon.

Nobel's intent for dynamite was to make coal mining less hazardous. The military found other uses.

The airplane was first conceived of as a means of transportation. It developed through research as a war weapon.

Eintsein and Fermi's dreams of nuclear research was unlimited low cost energy for all people. The same research led to more disasterous developments when it was seen to be a viable military tool.

The list goes on enlessly. It is important to see that the reasons for the research stay for the benefit of mankind not for the distruction of it.

strider
07-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Assalamu alaikum

That does appear to be a valid purpose. However, keep in mind other lines of research could be directed more in terms of military usage. Such as how to develope the ultimate soldier, how to geneticaly alter humans before birth for excellence in specific roles. How, to develope weapons that damage specific reagons of the body. ETC.

If a wrong reason can be found, us humans will find it and find support of it. This is why I state that the purpose is important.
That is an arguement which always crops up in the Great Genetics Debate, citing that it is too risky to progress too far down the road of genetics. ESCR would undoubtably help scientists understand and help combat many diseases, but there is always a chance that somebody somewhere might exploit the scheme and use it for their own not so good purposes. But i'm sure ESCR shall be strictly and closely regulated.

Although stem cells can be retrieved from elsewhere such as the placenta and umbilical cord, scientists argue that they shall not be as effective as those from an embryo.

As scientists have proposed using unwanted embryo's which shall otherwise be thrown away, maybe it would be plausible to reconsider the whole issue. Such a situation can be comparable to a person who has been involved in a serious accident and shall die very soon BUT has a beating heart. That heart could die with the person and no use shall come of it but it could also save the life of somebody else who needed a heart transplant. Either way, the person who had the serious accident would die but if another life could be saved/benefitted isn't that a worthy cause?

Ma'assalama

Woodrow
07-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Assalamu alaikum

That is an arguement which always crops up in the Great Genetics Debate, citing that it is too risky to progress too far down the road of genetics. ESCR would undoubtably help scientists understand and help combat many diseases, but there is always a chance that somebody somewhere might exploit the scheme and use it for their own not so good purposes. But i'm sure ESCR shall be strictly and closely regulated.

Although stem cells can be retrieved from elsewhere such as the placenta and umbilical cord, scientists argue that they shall not be as effective as those from an embryo.

As scientists have proposed using unwanted embryo's which shall otherwise be thrown away, maybe it would be plausible to reconsider the whole issue. Such a situation can be comparable to a person who has been involved in a serious accident and shall die very soon BUT has a beating heart. That heart could die with the person and no use shall come of it but it could also save the life of somebody else who needed a heart transplant. Either way, the person who had the serious accident would die but if another life could be saved/benefitted isn't that a worthy cause?

Ma'assalama
One big difference the person in the accident was not preplanned. The use of embryo's necessitates the use of lives that are deliberatly terminated. Yes, they are going to die anyway. But, this gives further justification for the life terminations. Caring that to extreme it is tantamount to saying "Young lady, go out get pregnant have an abortion and you will be contributing to the welfare of mankind by providing raw material for embryonic cell-stem research. Young ladies that get pregnant often and have many abortions are doing good for humanity."

MUNIRAH
07-26-2006, 04:44 AM
One big difference the person in the accident was not preplanned. The use of embryo's necessitates the use of lives that are deliberatly terminated. Yes, they are going to die anyway. But, this gives further justification for the life terminations.

Exactly:sister: I totally agree with u.

MUNIRAH
07-26-2006, 04:52 AM
Assalamu alaikum
Ma'assalama
Should we use embryonic stem cells or adult stem cells for future medical therapies? Embryonic stem cells are taken from a developing embryo at the blastocyst stage, destroying the embryo, a developing human life. Adult stem cells, on the other hand, are found in all tissues of the growing human being and, according to latest reports, also have the potential to transform themselves into practically all other cell types, or revert to being stem cells with greater reproductive capacity. Embryonic stem cells have not yet been used for even one therapy, while adult stem cells have already been successfully used in numerous patients, including for cardiac infarction (death of some of the heart tissue).
This shows that in tissues of the body, adult stem cells possess a much greater potential for differentiation than previously assumed. This knowledge must be brought into the public consciousness with all possible emphasis. If stem cell research were really only meant for therapeutic uses, which it most obviously should be, adult stem cells would promise a very productive research field–and beyond that, a possibility, without moral objection, to discover fundamentals of the dynamics of tissue differentiation.

Woodrow
07-26-2006, 05:01 AM
Should we use embryonic stem cells or adult stem cells for future medical therapies? Embryonic stem cells are taken from a developing embryo at the blastocyst stage, destroying the embryo, a developing human life. Adult stem cells, on the other hand, are found in all tissues of the growing human being and, according to latest reports, also have the potential to transform themselves into practically all other cell types, or revert to being stem cells with greater reproductive capacity. Embryonic stem cells have not yet been used for even one therapy, while adult stem cells have already been successfully used in numerous patients, including for cardiac infarction (death of some of the heart tissue).
This shows that in tissues of the body, adult stem cells possess a much greater potential for differentiation than previously assumed. This knowledge must be brought into the public consciousness with all possible emphasis. If stem cell research were really only meant for therapeutic uses, which it most obviously should be, adult stem cells would promise a very productive research field–and beyond that, a possibility, without moral objection, to discover fundamentals of the dynamics of tissue differentiation.
That would also allow for the donor to make the decision with informed consent and have a voice as to how it would be used.

MUNIRAH
07-26-2006, 05:28 AM
That would also allow for the donor to make the decision with informed consent and have a voice as to how it would be used.

yes! that is the beauty of it:D

Taqiyah
08-05-2006, 11:37 PM

Asalama Alaykum.

*Agreed* :D
So y r they desperete to take human life when they already have a better alternative...a way out of this!:grumbling

cleo
08-06-2006, 02:47 AM
I disagree with stem cell research, I think it is a sick underminded process, that may, and can, lead to research, that is distructive to human life. If there werent' so many chemicals being used in our food, and water, and of course the air we breath, there wouldn't be sickness. It is the cause of illness, that one should look for, and the cure, not kill unborn cells. I think it is sick/

mpk
08-27-2006, 04:07 AM
here's an interesting read.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...0823/20060823/

Malaikah
08-27-2006, 04:15 AM

has anyone considered at all that the soul isnt breathed in to the fetus as soon as the egg is fertalised?

there is a difference in opinion of the scholars, but the soul is not breathed in before the 40th day, thats something there is no doubt about.

On the authority of Abdullah bin Masud, who said : the messenger of Allah, and he is the truthful, the believed narrated to us :

"Verily the creation of each one of you is brought together in his mother's belly for forty days in the form of seed, then he is a clot of blood for a like period, then a morsel of flesh for a like period, then there is sent to him the angel who blows the breath of life into him and who is commanded about four matters: to write down his means of livelihood, his life span, his actions, and whether happy or unhappy. By Allah, other than Whom there is no god, verily one of you behaves like the people of Paradise until there is but an arm's length between him and it, and that which has been written over takes him and so he behaves like the people of Hell-fire and thus he enters it; and one of you behaves like the people of Hell-fire until there is but an arm's length between him and it, and that which has been written over takes him and so he behaves like the people of Paradise and thus he enters it."

related by Bukhari and Muslim
becuase of this i personally dont have an issue with embryonic stem cell research as long as the embyro is destroyed before the soul is breathed in, however what does worry me is the other ethical implcations such to what use the finding will be put, i personally would hate to see it being used for anything other than curing people of illnesses.

format_quote Originally Posted by cleo
If there werent' so many chemicals being used in our food, and water, and of course the air we breath, there wouldn't be sickness.
thats not quite true... illnesses have been around for much longer than this age of development. many illness have little to do with what we eat.

Taqiyah
08-29-2006, 04:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

has anyone considered at all that the soul isnt breathed in to the fetus as soon as the egg is fertalised?

there is a difference in opinion of the scholars, but the soul is not breathed in before the 40th day, thats something there is no doubt about. .
salaamz.

I don's see y that matters at all....
in both cases they r either killing a human life...or what would be a human life:uhwhat

seriously I don't know y that matters at all.^o)

Malaikah
08-29-2006, 08:16 AM
^IMO it matters becuase you cant kill something that is not alive. Its just a bunch of cells with out a soul. Its not a human yet. It hasnt had its fate written for it yet in the womb. Therefore it wont be resurrected as a human on the Day of Judgement. (i think? :?)

Taqiyah
08-29-2006, 07:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese
^IMO it matters becuase you cant kill something that is not alive. Its just a bunch of cells with out a soul. Its not a human yet. It hasnt had its fate written for it yet in the womb. Therefore it wont be resurrected as a human on the Day of Judgement. (i think? :?)

salaamz..

well "the bunch of cells" would have become alive if it weren't 4 those ruthless scientists. right?????:?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.