/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Names and Characteristics of the Qur'aan

madeenahsh
07-26-2006, 11:18 AM
The Names and Characteristics of the Qur'aan
Source: How To Memorise the Qur'aan (ITI Publications)

To assist you in knowing the true worth of the Qur'aan, you should know that Allaah has named the Qur’an with many names and amongst them are:

Al-Qur’an (theRecital), Al-Furqaan (the Criterion between Truth and falsehood), at-Tanzeel (the Revelation), Al-Kitaab (the Book).
Allaah has also given the Qur’an many descriptions in His verses and amongst them are:

Noor (Light), Huda (Guidance), Mau’idhah (Admonition), Shifaa’ (Healing), Rahmah (Mercy), Mubaarak (Blessing), Mubeen (Clear, Manifest), Bushraa (Good Tidings), Azeez (Mighty), Majeed (Glorious), Basheer (Bringer of Glad Tidings), Nadheer (Warner), Kareem (Noble), Ahsanul-Hadeeth (the Best of Speech)

Allaah the Exalted said, in describing His Book:

Allaah has sent down the most beautiful of speech, a Book, (parts of it) resembling (others) oft-repeated. The skins of those who fear their Lord shiver from it. Then their skins and their hearts soften to the remembrance of Allaah (Zumar 39:23)

Originally from: Kaifa Nafhamul-Qur'aan of Jameel Zainoo, with slight modification.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
umm-sulaim
07-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Thanks again ukhtee, baarakaAllahu feek!

madeenahsh
08-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Asalaam alykum warhamtullahi wabarakatuh

waiyakum

Wasallam alykum.

amirah_87
08-08-2006, 07:48 PM
as salaamu alaykum,

Jazkillahu khayran ukhtiy..

I have a favour to ask of you Insha'Allah!!

surat al-fatiha has a few names aswell I only have a few in memory such as: um al-quraan fatihatal kitaab, as-sab3 al-mathaaniy, ash-shifaa..

if you know or find of any article that names the rest!!...could you post it up inshaAllah!!

BarakAllahu feek :peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
madeenahsh
08-09-2006, 04:19 PM
walykum sallam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

wafeekum barakAllaah

na3am sis I have tafsir here with be maybe ur should try to buy tafsir books very beneficial though its not the 1st ilm u should start with, usool thalaatha is best to start with and tafsir is always very beneficial to have for more studys inshAllah by the time u ready for it ..TRY Tafsir Ibn Kathir near by your area at islamicbook stores. there also many online stores which are rather expensive.ha.
or www.tafsir.com if it work with u inshAllaah kheir if it doesnt I can inshAllaah try to typ up for u some info u need inshAllaah.
wasallam alykum

amirah_87
09-09-2006, 01:17 PM
As salaamu aalykum,

BarakAllahu feeki sister I have That Kitaab but I can't find excatly what I was looking for in it...
Just a footnote I took in one of my classes, I thouhgt you might have it..

JazaKillahu khayr for your efforts sis!!

madeenahsh
09-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Asalam alykum warahmatullaahi wabarakatuh

La , Dearest sister I do not have this book .
Just a very beneficial article which I needed to share .
InshAllaah kheiran

Wasallam alykum.

amirah_87
09-15-2006, 06:31 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

Alhamdulillah, I just stumbled across what I was looking for today whilst I was in search of something else!!

Here it inshaAllah for whoever wishes:

The Names of Al-Faatiha:

It is named al-Faatihah,the Opening - because it opens the Book and by it the recitation in prayer commences.
It is also named Ummul Qur`aan, the Mother of the Qur`aan, and Ummul Kitaab, the Mother of the Book, according to the opinion of the majority. This was mentioned by Anas, however al-Hasan and ibn Seereen disliked this appellation reasoning that this was the most fitting description for the Preserved Tablet. Al-Hasan also said that the unequivocal verses of the Qur`aan comprised the Mother of the Book. However, it is established in at-Tirmidhee from Abu Hurayrah (RA) who said,

The Messenger of Allaah (SAW) said, ‘[the chapter commencing with] “all praises and thanks are due to Allaah the Lord of the Universe” is the Mother of the Qur`aan, the Mother of the Book, the Seven Oft Repeated Verses and the Great Qur`aan.’ [1]

At-Tirmidhee declared the hadeeth to be saheeh. Al-Bukhaaree said in the beginning of the Book of Tafseer in his Saheeh,

It is named Ummul Qur`aan because it is the first chapter written in the Qur`aanic texts and the recitation in prayer commences with it. [2]

Ibn Jareer at-Tabaree said that it was named so because the meaning of the entire Qur`aan is summarised therein. The Arabs named anything that concisely summarises something or comprises the most important part of something Umm, or Mother.

For similar reasons it is also named al-Qur`aan al-Adheem, the Great Qur`aan.

It is also named Sab`ul Mathaanee, the Seven Oft Repeated Verses, because they are frequently recited and indeed recited in every rak`ah of the prayer.

It is also named al-Hamd, the Praise because it contains mention of hamd just as al-Baqarah is named so because it contains mention of the cow. Some scholars also gave the reasoning that al-Hamd constitutes the heart of al-Faatihah. [3] It is also named as-Salaah, the Prayer due his (SAW) saying while reporting from his Lord,

“I have divided the prayer between Myself and my servant equally. Therefore when the servant says, ‘all praises and thanks are due to Allaah, the Lord of the universe,’ Allaah says, ‘My servant has praised Me…’.” [4]

It is named the Prayer because its recitation is a condition for the validity of the prayer.

It is also named ash-Shifaa`, the Cure, due to what ad-Daarimee reports from Abu Sa`eed (RA) from the Messenger of Allaah (SAW),

The Opening of the Book is a cure to every poison. [5]

It is also named ar-Ruqya, the Spiritual Cure due to the hadeeth of Abu Sa`eed (RA) reported in Saheeh Bukhaaree that after he had recited it to cure a person who had been bitten by a scorpion, the Messenger of Allaah (SAW) said to him,

And what made you to know that it was a ruqya? [6]

Ash-Sha`bee reports from ibn Abbaas that he named it Asaasul Qur`aan, the Foundation of the Qur`aan, and that he said, “the foundation of al-Faatihah is, ‘with the Name of Allaah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.’”

Sufyaan bin Uyaynah named it al-Waaqiyah, the Protector.
Yahyaa bin Abu Katheer named it al-Kaafiyah, the Sufficient, because it suffices from everything other than it but anything else does not suffice it, as occurs in the mursal hadeeth,

The Mother of the Book suffices for other than it but nothing else suffices it. [[7]

It is also named Suratus Salaah, the Chapter of the Prayer, and al-Kanz, the Treasure, as mentioned by az-Zamaksharee in ‘Kashshaaf.’

Mawaddah
09-15-2006, 07:55 PM
^ Niiiice Princess Jazakillah Khair, I was just thinking about these the other day also, I remember Layla also used to ask these all the time in her class, but I could only remember a few....Jazakillah Khair :peace:

amirah_87
09-15-2006, 08:03 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

Wa Iyyaaki Darlin' ;)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.