/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim women not allowed to drive

imrano
07-29-2006, 12:47 PM
I was talking with a non muslim who was saying that muslim women don't have any rights. He give the exemple of muslim women not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia and i can't manage to argue that. What is the reason Behind this prohibition?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
07-29-2006, 12:53 PM
humm never heard this but maybe cause she is a women and it's allowed but i gurantee it's something like that buit then again like in USA womens were not allowed to drive back then but now they are, but we need evidence to back this up bro we can't just say this.

Halima
07-29-2006, 01:06 PM
:sl:

Well see in Saudi, the woman's head covering is very different with the niquab and veils they were, hence it would be so hard for them to drive.

Women that wear the niquab under various types of material, may have such hardship around them therefore they are prohibited from driving.

I wonder though, since women in America here are allowed to drive while wearing the niquab why not in Saudi then? Have you ever wondered that?

:w:

Far7an
07-29-2006, 01:08 PM

The restriction placed on women in Saudi is not on safety grounds, so it has nothing to do with the niqaab.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
07-29-2006, 01:11 PM
I heard a Muslimah say that she wouldn't want to drive in Saudi arabia (or any other Middle-Eastern country for that matter)!

Halima
07-29-2006, 01:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I heard a Muslimah say that she wouldn't want to drive in Saudi arabia (or any other Middle-Eastern country for that matter)!

Well, it could very well be the population of pedestrians that are on the streets therefore she may feel intimidated to be driving. I can very well understand her circumstances.

REPSTER
07-29-2006, 01:25 PM

Saudi people are cleaver by stopin women from drivin (less accidents):p

They kno women cant drive thats why just to not make it look bad
4 women they hav banned women from drivin;D ;D
(No offence only jokin):brother:
Women are cool drivers:thumbs_up

Halima
07-29-2006, 01:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an

The restriction placed on women in Saudi is not on safety grounds, so it has nothing to do with the niqaab.

Then what does it have to do with?

Fishman
07-29-2006, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Halima
Well, it could very well be the population of pedestrians that are on the streets therefore she may feel intimidated to be driving. I can very well understand her circumstances.
My dad has driven in Jordan, and he thought the roads there were just terrible, with nobody obeying the rules. This is probably what Batool was talking about.

kadafi
07-29-2006, 01:39 PM

The kibaar al-'ulemaa never outlawled that women are forbidden to drive because the issue was never brought them.

News article:

Ulema Council Never Discussed Women Driving

Saad Al-Matrafi, Arab News, 6/6/2005 (28, Rabi` al-Thani, 1426)

JEDDAH, 6 June 2005 — Sheikh Abdullah ibn Munee, a member of the Council of Senior Ulema which is the Kingdom's highest religious body, said the council had not discussed the issue of women driving in its past sessions.

"The issue was never brought up in any of our sessions," Sheikh Ibn Munee said in an exclusive statement to Arab News. The scholar stated that those who have announced either through the Internet or in leaflets that women driving is religiously forbidden — haram — were not telling the truth.

"We never said it was haram for women to drive," said Ibn Munee. He clarified that some members of the committee had, however, expressed their own personal views. "We do not say it is haram but we say that it is for the good of our daughters not to drive."

Sheikh Ibn Munee did say that Saudi society was not yet ready for women to drive. Al-Madinah newspaper, however, stated that the council may discuss the issue officially at one of their sessions in two months.

Sheikh Alfowzan, another member of the Council of Senior Ulema, stated in a reply to the Shoura Council member, Mohammed Al-Zulfa, that the financial cost of bringing foreign drivers was much less than a loss of honor. The sheikh was referring to the possibility that women driving could lead to immorality and a loss of honor.

A number of female voices have raised questions reflecting their confusion about the situation. Khowla Al-Khaldi, a teacher from Jeddah, said, "If the Ulema Council were not going to discuss the issue, and the vice-chairman of the Shoura Council said that the matter was for the Ulema and the Minister of Interior, Prince Naif, said that the matter is social rather than religious, then to whom shall we look for answers?"

Manal Tashkandi said that she had been searching for years for someone to rule on the issue. "I am not keen on driving but for God's sake, when will this hassle end?" said Tashkandi who has a British driving license.

A few women expressed satisfaction about women not being allowed to drive.

Nahla Al-Swailih, a banker in Riyadh, said that she was not interested in driving in the Kingdom although she has an international driving license. "I can never imagine myself driving in these streets which are filled with lunatics driving madly," said Al-Swalih.

Muna Bukhari said that she agreed with Ibn Munee's comment about society. "Unfortunately, our young men need to be taught proper behavior and respect before we women can be allowed to drive," said Bukhari. She added that one could sense what problems women drivers would face by simply being aware of the harassment they are subjected to in malls.

Rabi'ya
07-29-2006, 01:41 PM

any restrictions on women driving have no basis in Islam...unless you can show me the proof where it sez women cannot drive....:?

Just because one so-called "muslim country" has restricted women from driving does not mean that it is an islamic law.

in response to the man who claimed this i would say that women in Saudi have less rights and not women in Islam...

Rabi'ya:rose:

S_87
07-29-2006, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hitman

Saudi people are cleaver by stopin women from drivin (less accidents):p

They kno women cant drive thats why just to not make it look bad
4 women they hav banned women from drivin;D ;D
(No offence only jokin):brother:
Women are cool drivers:thumbs_up

funny you say that saudi arabia is known for one of the worse countries in driving worldwide ;D

but anyhow its saudi social climate, scholars in saudi have given reason why they want women being banned from driving and to be honest if they want it that way thats up to them.

scentsofjannah
07-29-2006, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by imrano
I was talking with a non muslim who was saying that muslim women don't have any rights. He give the exemple of muslim women not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia and i can't manage to argue that. What is the reason Behind this prohibition?
you dont have to defend that..theres no justification..this is again a distortion of God's Beautiful Religion..that is Just, Wise and Logical..

this law applies to our poor sisters in SaudiArabia..Sharia law is mixed with arab customs and practises and then those in power present that as 'authentic Islam'.

totally disgusting.

mujahedeen2087
07-29-2006, 07:40 PM
their is no true islamic goverment on earth at this moment. only a few nations have adopted some sharia and mix it with local customs or other ideals. the west takes advantage of this and shows islam in a bad light based on these nations.

inshallah when the state is established we will be an example for the world.

syilla
07-30-2006, 08:26 AM
maybe someone should design a car specially for woman wearing niqab...

that will be nice

lolwatever
07-30-2006, 08:37 AM
I guess if it's a cultural thing and they're sauid's are happy with that, then that's upto them lol... one saudi sis was saying "I'm a Saudiyyah, and i don't drive, I'm a Queen, and since when does a Queen drive?"

lol i must say i love the line :p

Disgraceful that they kicked the Imam of Madinah out of his position because he disagreed though.. he's a scholar afterall and should be allowed to voice his opinion.
salamz

Snowflake
07-30-2006, 09:15 AM
I came across this question about women drivers in Saudia before. After some research I found that the reason they aren't allowed to drive is in case they begin to abuse the freedom that comes with this form of independance. But that could apply to men too. They obviously don't trust women enough. Talk about double standards.

Tania
07-30-2006, 09:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by imrano
I knew in Saudi the bedouin wive are allowed to drive. Even trucks, if i remember correctly. Lot of car accidents are caused by camels-it seems the camel is not big enough to can be avoid by the driver :(

Malaikah
07-30-2006, 09:23 AM

Actually my friend who lives in saudi said that they are allowed to drive now, but most choose not to because its just in their culture.

lolwatever
07-30-2006, 09:36 AM
^^ yeh but it's veery very disgraceful and humiliating that they kick out the Imam of Madeenah from his post just because he disagrees with that! Even if his opinion is not correct (which very well may be), it's just wrong!

i mean.. where's the freedom of speech and freedom of difference of opinion?

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that it's haram for women to drive, i havnt seen any evidence to back that up.. it's not like its a fitnah if a woman drives, otherwise you migth as well she's not allowed to ride on a car or more so a camel or any form of transport at all. (and probaby not even allowed to walk too lol)

but if they have any evidence, let them bring it on.. there's absolutely nothign wrong about that..

mano_the_cat
07-30-2006, 09:50 AM
hmm ..muslim women specially saudi women are not allowed to drive because they are not allowed to travel without mahram. thats the reason if women drive ...like in other muslim coutries they are not bound to be accompanied by anyone ...they can drive on their own. but when it comes to saudi women, they have this view that if in case they encouter an accident or something there wont be an mahram with them when the police etc comes. so thats the main reason.
by the way, women in saudia are allowed to drive within the boundries of residential complexes of companies such as ARAMCO etc ... they dont have to wear veils etc there if they dont want as well ... thats the western world within an eastern islamic area.
my view, i dont consider what saudis are doing as bad ... all religions & cultures have their own limitations & requirements and you cant force your on others.
i know its bad .... but like i like in pakistan & i dont cover my head or anything but when im in saudia i do ... i cant give justification to them that because im from pakistan & its more liberal over there that i am not going to wear abayah here in saudia.

Malaikah
07-30-2006, 12:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
i mean.. where's the freedom of speech and freedom of difference of opinion?

Since when was saudi known for respecting its scholars and letting them voice their opinions in the 1st place? :rollseyes

lolwatever
07-30-2006, 12:05 PM
i heard saudi was the best example of free speech and application of shareeah in the world (turning a blind eye to their human right abuses..) ... :rollseyes .. well that's what their sheikhs say and we should obey them otherwise we be called extremists.... maybe i'm mistaken :X

Fishman
07-30-2006, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mano_the_cat
i know its bad .... but like i like in pakistan & i dont cover my head or anything but when im in saudia i do ... i cant give justification to them that because im from pakistan & its more liberal over there that i am not going to wear abayah here in saudia.
But isn't it obligatory for women to cover their heads (and possibly recommended for men)?

imrano
07-30-2006, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mano_the_cat
but when it comes to saudi women, they have this view that if in case they encouter an accident or something there wont be an mahram with them when the police etc comes. so thats the main reason.
Sister mano_the_cat, I think the reason you gave is the most suitable for this issue. I think this prohibition is a consequence of another Islamic law that don’t allow women to travel without a mahram so in case of accident, a non-mahram do not touch them. But a new question can arise here. In Bus, rail and other accident that are involved many people, how womens are assisted, only by womens?

mano_the_cat
07-30-2006, 05:24 PM
for fishman, yes its obligatory ... but you know muslims take things for granted and this is where the culture comes in .... indian subcontinent was never so much into covering etc ... so thats what the west calls
'liberalism' & 'rights of women'.

for imrano, you are right ... bus,rails & other means of transport can cause problem.... but you know saudis dont have railway tracks throughout their country ..its only from dammam to riyadh ...means 4-5 houres drive. other than that you need buses, cars or planes to travel to other cities. within the city there is no mass transport facility like buses ..only taxis where saudi women mostly are accompanied by males(boys & kids). so, you see they dont have much problem ... they ahve their husbands to drive them everywhere ..or some have drivers(mostly pakistani, indian, srilankan or bangladeshis). what i told you the reason by women not allowed to drive in saudia is what i have been told & it does make sense .... women going outside home can be cause of 'fitnah' which occassionally happens there too and which they very efficiently curb & manage to eradicate.
by the way, i havent seen any women police there as yet ...when it will ..i would let you all know.

Daffodil
08-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Asalamulaikum

U have to remember that there is alot of desert and empty secluded places in saudi, if a woman was to drive n her car broke down or something n she was in the middle of no where n some guy stopped, she cud be taken advantage of, n in a secluded place who else wud be able to see her, sometimes places go without cars coming through for ages n ages. its dangerous for her, if she has a mehram with her then theres no reason why she shudnt be able to drive.

searchingsoul
08-02-2006, 07:25 PM
If I didn't have to drive I don't think I would.

Malaikah
08-03-2006, 10:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
Asalamulaikum

U have to remember that there is alot of desert and empty secluded places in saudi, if a woman was to drive n her car broke down or something n she was in the middle of no where n some guy stopped, she cud be taken advantage of, n in a secluded place who else wud be able to see her, sometimes places go without cars coming through for ages n ages. its dangerous for her, if she has a mehram with her then theres no reason why she shudnt be able to drive.

but that does apply in the big cities though does it?

S_87
08-03-2006, 01:28 PM

^^ nah sis but i think saudi society is very male no?

just on arab news i think last month ther ewas the issue of men throwing their numbers to womens open windows. that in itself is harassment, and the women have a man with them.
what would happen if the women were alone?

Tania
08-03-2006, 02:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

^^ nah sis but i think saudi society is very male no?

just on arab news i think last month ther ewas the issue of men throwing their numbers to womens open windows. that in itself is harassment, and the women have a man with them.
what would happen if the women were alone?
Which numbers? Some paper?

Sis786
08-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Maybe because the Saudi men are insane on the street and its too dangerous for a women.

I was once reading a book about Saudi and 4 women drove cars on the street and one of the gilrs parents killed her as the embrassment was too much....

Umm Yoosuf
08-04-2006, 04:09 AM
This topic has already be exhausted here:

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...+women+driving

If you feel the need please continue your discussion there.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.