/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam Is Sexist?

Les_Nubian
07-31-2006, 07:05 PM
I know, controversey blah blah blah, offensive blah blah blah.

I'll just have you know that I am a Muslim (female) and I was slightly offended as well...and I would like to know, because I can't just keep this in the back of my head, nagging and nagging at me untill I explode...is all of this:

25. No un-Islamic, anti-Islamic or inauthenthic URLS in posts, profiles, PMs or signatures

True?

Or...just "hype" and lies?

The article states that "These teachings come from both the Qur'an and the Hadith."

Is this true?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salah ad-din
07-31-2006, 07:31 PM
I didn't click the link you provided, but what do you want to know about specifically?
For your topic question, the answer is no, Islam is not sexist.

Salah ad-din
07-31-2006, 07:36 PM
Verily, for all men and women who have surrendered themselves unto God, and all believing men and believing women, and all truly devout men and truly devout women, and all men and women who are true to their word, and all men and women who are true to their word, and all men and women who are patient in adversity, and all men and women who humble themselves [before God], and all men and women who give in charity, and all self-denying men and self-denying women, and all men and women who are mindful of their chastity, and all men and women who remember God unceasingly, for [all of] them has God readied forgiveness of sins and a mighty reward. (33:35)

O Humankind! Be conscious of your Sustainer, who has created humanity out of one living entity, and out of it created its mate, and out of the two spread abroad a multitude of men and women. And remain conscious of God, in whose name you demand [your rights] from one another, and [reverence] the wombs [that bore you]. Verily, God is ever watchful over you! (4:1)

Hence do not covet the bounties which Allah has bestowed more abundantly on some of you than on others. Men shall have a benefit from what they earn, and women shall have a benefit from what they earn. Ask, therefore, Allah (to give you) out of His Bounty: behold, Allah has indeed full knowledge of everything. (4:32)

sonz
07-31-2006, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Les_Nubian

I'll just have you know that I am a Muslim (female) and I was slightly offended as well...and I would like to know, because I can't just keep this in the back of my head, nagging and nagging at me untill I explode...is all of this:

25. No un-Islamic, anti-Islamic or inauthenthic URLS in posts, profiles, PMs or signatures

True?

The article states that "These teachings come from both the Qur'an and the Hadith."

Is this true?
salama

chk out articles from here

http://www.load-islam.com/family_soc...hp?topic_id=14

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
07-31-2006, 07:41 PM
:sl:

i like you am a female muslim but dont find islam sexist at all. why do you think so sis ? :)

Les_Nubian
07-31-2006, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

i like you am a female muslim but dont find islam sexist at all. why do you think so sis ? :)
If you all would view the website, you would know exactly what I'm talking about, and how this guy outlines with proof from the Qur'an and Hadith how Islam sees women as inferior religiously, morally, and intellectually.

:?

Les_Nubian
07-31-2006, 08:13 PM

It's not like I'm trying to bash Islam, I'm a MUSLIM for goodness sake, people! I just want to know the TRUTH! Is that so wrong? Is the truth filtered out here at islamicboard.com? If so, I guess I should go elsewhere for my answers, or people's genuine points of views.

S_87
07-31-2006, 08:15 PM
If you all would view the website, you would know exactly what I'm talking about, and how this guy outlines with proof from the Qur'an and Hadith how Islam sees women as inferior religiously, morally, and intellectually.

:?

if the site is anti islamice then it would all be blown totally out of proportion. not post the site but if you have any personal queries fee lfree to ask

Les_Nubian
07-31-2006, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

if the site is anti islamice then it would all be blown totally out of proportion. not post the site but if you have any personal queries fee lfree to ask
But I'm saying this guy says these verses that see women as inferior are found in the Qur'an, and Hadith, and I looked some of them up and he's right! (I never finished reading the entirety of the Qur'an, I'm a slow reader :P )

Salah ad-din
07-31-2006, 08:19 PM
Les there are many sites that are un Islamic. As a revert, try to stick with real Muslims and sites/forums like these to help stir you straight, and always ask for proove from Qur'an and Ahadith when something is not clear. The best thing is to link up with a good Imam, Sheikh, Scholar or Ulema.

Some good ones with on line sources are:

Hamza Yusef
Tijane Cisse
Zaid Shakir
etc.

Woodrow
07-31-2006, 08:39 PM
It's not like I'm trying to bash Islam, I'm a MUSLIM for goodness sake, people! I just want to know the TRUTH! Is that so wrong? Is the truth filtered out here at islamicboard.com? If so, I guess I should go elsewhere for my answers, or people's genuine points of views.
Perhaps you can be your own best authority on this subject. As a Muslimah, have you been treated inferior by any Muslims? What examples of sexism have you personaly experienced as a Muslim? I believe that any Muslimah you meet and speak to you will tell you that they have not expeienced it either.

Now in regards to web sites. We must be cautious when viewing web sites. The majority of the ones that come up in searches are often non-trust worthy. Some are by well intentioned people but with little true knowledge. Some are blatant lies, done to make Islam look bad. Some are Valid quotes, taken out of context and shown with something that makes them appear to be what they are not.

It is best to have a fair amount of knowledge about Islam, before trying to find the truth searching on your own. The best way to begin searching for info, is to ask Muslims you know either in person, or on forums to recommend sites.

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-31-2006, 10:37 PM
:sl: Les_Nubian,

You have previously asked questions on the forum, and you recieved answers which you found very helpful and said that they aided your understanding. We had a very efficient process going - why would you want to change that? If you desired to have some misunderstandings removed on the status of women in Islam, why would you not ask questions yourself in a respectful manner as you did before? Why would you suddenly decide to paste a link to a website which misquotes, mistranslates, distorts and slanders Islam and Muslims? If there are some Islamic quotes relating to women's status that you would like clarified then ask about them one by one. It is totally inconsiderate to simply post a list of allegations and lies and the demand others to go through them all at once and refute them.

I will begin by repasting something I wrote before on the forum to clarify your doubts as to the lofty status of women in Islam. Then if you have any misunderstandings we can go through them one by and one and discuss each individual allegation. That is a much more sincere approach and far more loyal to the truth.

format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
The Qur'an clarifies that piety alone, not gender or ethnicity, determines one's status with God:
Qur'an 49:13. O mankind! We have created you from a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Verily, the most noble among you in the sight of Allah is the most pious. Verily, Allah is All-Knowing, All-Aware.

And the Qur'an further says about the rewards for men and women:
Qur'an 3:195 I shall not lose sight of the labor of any of you who labors in My way, be it man or woman; each of you is equal to the other

Qur'an 4:124 If any do deeds of righteousness,- be they male or female - and have faith, they will enter Heaven, and not the least injustice will be done to them.

Qur'an 16:97 Whoever works righteousness, man or woman, and has Faith, verily, to him will We give a new Life, a life that is good and pure and We will bestow on such their reward according to the best of their actions.

Qur'an 40:40 "He that works evil will not be requited but by the like thereof: and he that works a righteous deed - whether man or woman - and is a Believer- such will enter the Garden (of Bliss): Therein will they have abundance without measure.

33:35 For Muslim men and women,- for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humble themselves, for men and women who give in Charity, for men and women who fast (and deny themselves), for men and women who guard their chastity, and for men and women who engage much in Allah's praise,- for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and the greatest reward.

Islam raises the status of the parents and places specific emphasis on one's mother:

Qur'an 31:14 And [God says:] ‘We have enjoined upon man goodness towards his parents: his mother bore him by bearing strain upon strain, and his utter dependence on her lasted two years: [hence, O man,] be grateful towards Me and towards thy parents, [and remember that] with Me is all journeys’ end.”

A man came to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) asking “ O Messenger of God, who among the people is the most worthy of my good company?” The Prophet (peace be upon him) said “Your mother”. The man said “then who else?” The Prophet (peace be upon him) said “Your mother”. The man asked, “then who else?” The Prophet (peace be upon him) replied “Your mother” When the man asked for the fourth time, only then did the Prophet (peace be upon him) say, “Your father” ( Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim)

Shaykh Muhammad Ali Hashimi comments:
“This hadith confirms that the Prophet (peace be upon him) gave precedence to kind treatment of one’s mother over one’s father and the companions of the Prophet used to remind the Muslims of this after the death of the Prophet (peace be upon him)”
The famous companion of the Prophet, Abdullah ibn Abbas said, I know of no other deed that brings people closer to Allah more than kind treatment and respect towards ones mother.

Read the following incident from another famous companion, Abdullah Ibn Umar.
Abdullah Ibn Umar saw a Yemeni man performing pilgrimage carrying his mother on his back then the man said to Ibn Umar “ I am like a tame camel for her, I have carried her more than she has carried me! Do you think I have paid her back Ibn Umar?”
Ibn Umar said, “No, not even one contraction!” (Bukhari, Book of Manners)

And we all know the hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) “Paradise lies at the feet of your mother” (Musnad Ahmad, Sunan An-Nasaa’i, Sunan Ibn Majah)

Islam has also elevated the status of daughters. The following hadith establishes the unsurpassable reward for kind treatment of one's daugters.

Aisha, wife of the Prophet (peace be upon him), said: “A poor woman came to me carrying her two daughters. I gave her three dates to eat. She gave each child a date, and raised the third to her own mouth to eat it. Her daughters asked her to give it to them, so she split the date that she had wanted to eat between them. I was impressed by what she had done, and told the Messenger of Allah P about it. He said, “Allah has decreed Paradise for her because of it”. (Sahih Muslim)

And the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “Anyone who cares for three daughters, gives them a good upbringing, marries them to good husbands and treats them with compassion, he/she will enter paradise.” A man asked, “What if one only has two, O’ Messenger of Allah?” He said, “Even if one only has two.” Another man asked, “What if one only has one, O’ Messenger of Allah?” He said, “Even if one only has one”. (Sunan Abi Dawud, Musnad Ahmad, Mustadarak Al-Haakim)

And the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said, “Whoever has a daughter born to him, and he did not prefer his son over him, Allah will admit him to Paradise because of her” (Mustadarak Al-Haakim)

And he also specified sisters:
“There is no one who has three daughters, or three sisters, and he treats them well, but Allah will admit him/her to Paradise.” (Bukhari, Book of Manners)

And further:
“There is no one among my ummah who has three daughters, or three sisters, and he supports them until they are grown up, but he will be with me in Paradise like this” – and he held up his index and middle fingers together. (Tabaraani)

As for marriage, the Qur'an clarifies that is is a bond of love:
Qur'an 30:21 And among His signs is that He created mates from among yourselves that you may live in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your hearts

Read what the Prophet (peace be upon him) has said in this matter:

“The best of you is the one who is best to his wife” (Sahih Ibn Hibban)

“None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner. And none but an ignoble treats women disgracefully” (Sunan At-Tirmidhi)

“I command you to be kind to women” (Sahih Bukhari)

The renowned scholar of hadith, Imam Ad-Dhahabi (d. 1358CE) writes:
Lest one should suppose that all the responsibilities are on the wife and all the rights belong to the husband, we mention that the husband is obliged to be gentle, kind, and loving to his wife. He must show forbearance and patience toward her in case she is occasionally abusive or ill-tempered. It is his duty to feed and clothe her and to provide for her needs well, within his means, according to the command of Allah Most High: Live with them on a footing of kindness and equity (4:19) and the advice of the Prophet: Consult with women. Indeed, you have some rights over your women and they have some rights over you. It is their right on you that you provide for their food and clothing generously, and your right on them is that they do not let anyone whom you dislike in the house, walking upon your floor. (Related by Ibn Majah and Tirmidhi who declared it Hasan Saheeh)

He said: "The best among you is the one who is best to his wife" (Related by Ibn Hibban) in another version it is the one who is most kind to his wife. The Prophet himself was very gentle and kind in dealing with women.

The Prophet saws also said: "If any man shows patience with his wife's bad temper, Allah will give him a reward similar to the reward of Ayyub (Job) for his patience, and if any woman shows patience with her husband's bad temper, Allah will give her a reward similar to the reward of Asiyah daughter of Muzahim, the wife of Pharoah (Cf. Qur'an 66:11)."

It is reported that a man came to 'Umar ibn Al-Khattab raa to complain about his wife's ill-temper. While he was waiting for 'Umar to come out of his house, he heard 'Umar's wife scolding him and 'Umar quietly listening to her, and not answering her back. The man turned around and started walking away, muttering to himself: "If that is the case with 'Umar, the leader of the believers, who is famous for his uprighteness and toughness, then what about poor me?!" At that moment, 'Umar came out of his house and saw the man walking away. He called him and said, "What is it you want of me, O man?" The man replied: "O leader of the believers, I came to complain to you about my wife's bad-temper and how she nags me. Then I heard your wife doing the same to you, so I turned around, muttering to myself, 'If that is the situation of the leader of the believers, then what about me?'" 'Umar replied, "O my brother, I bear with her because of her rights over me. She cooks my food, bakes my bread, washes my clothes, breast-feeds my child...and yet none of these are her duty;* and then she is a comfort to my heart and keeps me away from forbidden deeds. Consequently, I bear with her." The man said, "It is the same with me, O leader of the believers." 'Umar said: "Then, O my brother, be patient with her, indeed this life is short. (Adh-Dhahabi, Al-Kabâ'ir 194)
The last hadith about 'Umar is a beautiful example of the lofty status that Islam has given women. The Khalifa himself used to listen patiently while his wife scolded him and he instructed his followers to likewise be patient and grateful for all the favours their wives gave them. Dr. M. Moinuddin Siddiqui, who has translated Al-Kabâ'ir into english, includes the following footnote in the place I have marked above with an asterisk [*]:
According to the Shari'ah, a Muslim wife has no obligation to do all this; rather, it is the husband's obligation to take care of it [either himself or] by hiring a servant (or even, in the case of breast-feeding, a wet-nurse). Therefore, if a woman does this, it is out of good-will and compliance on her part, not because it is obligatory on her, and consequently it is a cause for appreciation and helpfulness on the part of her husband. (Translator)
I could continue to quote more evidences and information, but instead I'll just refer you to some links for more info:
http://magic-city-news.com/article_2694.shtml
http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_se...&main_cat_id=2
Now if you have any questions about a particular issue, feel free to ask and we will answer inshaa'Allah.

:w:

Les_Nubian
08-01-2006, 01:32 PM
:sl: Les_Nubian,

You have previously asked questions on the forum, and you recieved answers which you found very helpful and said that they aided your understanding. We had a very efficient process going - why would you want to change that? If you desired to have some misunderstandings removed on the status of women in Islam, why would you not ask questions yourself in a respectful manner as you did before? Why would you suddenly decide to paste a link to a website which misquotes, mistranslates, distorts and slanders Islam and Muslims? If there are some Islamic quotes relating to women's status that you would like clarified then ask about them one by one. It is totally inconsiderate to simply post a list of allegations and lies and the demand others to go through them all at once and refute them.

I will begin by repasting something I wrote before on the forum to clarify your doubts as to the lofty status of women in Islam. Then if you have any misunderstandings we can go through them one by and one and discuss each individual allegation. That is a much more sincere approach and far more loyal to the truth.

Now if you have any questions about a particular issue, feel free to ask and we will answer inshaa'Allah.

How does he misquote? I have a Qur'an, and I looked some of the stuff up myself. It's there.

M.B
08-01-2006, 01:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.B
ISLAM IS NOT SEXIST OK, END OF IT THAT IS THE TRUTH .WHY ARE PEOPLE ASKING STUPID QUESTION IF U ALL READY KNOW THE TRUTH PEOPLE HAVE SAID IT BEFORE IT SAY SO MANY TIMES PEOPLE WROTE 'ISLAM IS NOT SEXIST.

:W:
That is what i've got to say.

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-01-2006, 02:19 PM
How does he misquote? I have a Qur'an, and I looked some of the stuff up myself. It's there.
Give me one quote that you have difficulty understanding and think that it is sexist and I will explain it. It is very strange that you are so comfortable accepting the allegations of others against your religion after performing only a cursory search in an english translation!

IbnAbdulHakim
08-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Give me one quote that you have difficulty understanding and think that it is sexist and I will explain it. It is very strange that you are so comfortable accepting the allegations of others against your religion after performing only a cursory search in an english translation!
i was thinking the same. Reading out of context is one of the main causes of confusion, you should always read in context ie, the event/reason to why that ayah was revealed etc. Also i've seen too much proof that both men and women are equal and infact theres one part where the blame for Adam and Eve gettin sent out of the Garden is leaned more at Adam then Eve. Did you know that?

Sis i sincerely hope you find the truth inshaAllah.

:salamext:

PS: Zakir Naiks talk on the status of women may help you understand better.

Hijrah
08-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Well, do you think the person is not going to try using "evidence" from the Quran and Hadith to make his case and just use baseless insults come on now stuff like this has been going on for a while-the misuse of Hadith and Quran

Daffodil
08-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Issues in which Men and Women are treated alike or Women are treated favorably

by Shaykh Abdul Ghaffar Hasan
Translated by Khola Hasan

This chapter discusses issues, which carry little or no controversy.

1. Education

The Messenger of Allah once said: "Acquiring knowledge is compulsory for every Muslim. (At-Tabarani) This narration applies equally to men and women. "Knowledge" in this context refers primarily to knowledge of the Qur’ân and the Sunnah as no Muslim should be ignorant of his or her Faith, but it also covers other areas of general education, which can contribute to the welfare of civilization. It is precisely the ignorance about their religion among Muslims that has led to men oppressing women because they believe it is permitted, women not demanding their Godgiven rights because they are ignorant of them, and children growing up to perpetuate their parents' follies. Throughout Islamic history, men and women both earned respect as scholars and teachers of the Faith. The books of Rijal (Reporters of Hadith) contain the names of many prominent women, beginning with 'Aishah and Hafsah.

2. Worship

It has already been discussed in detail that both men and women are the slaves of Allah and have a duty to worship and obey Him. Men and women have to pray, fast, give charity, go on pilgrimage, refrain from adultery, avoid the prohibited, enjoin the good and forbid the evil, and so on. Because of women's roles as mothers, a role which does not end at a specific time but is a roundthe- clock career, they have been exempted from attending the Mosque for the five daily prayers or for Jumu 'ah (Friday) prayer. Nevertheless, if they wish to attend the Mosque, no one has the right to stop them.

3. Charitable Acts

Men and women are both encouraged to give charity, and there is nothing to stop a woman giving charity from her husband's income. 'Aishah reported that the Messenger of Allah said: "A woman will receive reward (from Allah) even when she gives charity from her husband's earnings. The husband and the treasurer (who keeps the money on the husband's behalf) will also be rewarded, without the reward of any of them decreasing." Asmâ' once said to the Prophet "O Messenger of Allah, I have nothing except what Zubair (her husband) brings home." The Prophet told her: "O Asmâ, give in charity. Don't lock it lest your subsistence is locked."

4. The Right to own Wealth and Property

A woman has the right to keep her property or wealth, whether earned or inherited, and spend it as she may please.
This right was granted to Western women only very recently, and the women of India had to wait until 1956 for a right which Muslim women have always taken for granted. Concerning the right to one's earnings, the Qur’ân says:
"And wish not for the things in which Allah has made some of you excel the others. For men there is reward for what they have earned, (and likewise) for women there is reward for what they have earned, and ask Allah of His Bounty. Surely, Allah is Ever All-Knower of everything." (V. 4:32)

5. Freedom to express One's Opinion

Few societies exist in which the ordinary citizen can confront the ruler face to face and challenge his policies. Even fewer societies allow women to be so bold, yet the Islamic ideal has always been open and accessible. This freedom of expression is aptly demonstrated by a famous incident involving 'Umar the second Rightly- Guided Caliph.
'Umar was once standing on the pulpit, severely reprimanding the people and ordering them not to set excessive amounts of dower at the time of marriage. A woman got up and shouted, "Umar You have no right to intervene in a matter which Allah the All-Mighty has already decreed in the Qur’ân:
"But if you intend to replace a wife by another and you have given one of them a Qintar (of gold, i.e., a great amount as Mahr bridal money), take not the least bit of it back; would you take it wrongfully without a right and (with) a manifest sin?" (V.4:20)
After being reminded of this Verse, 'Umar withdrew his order, saying, "I am in the wrong and she is correct."

6. Participation in Jihâd

The battlefield is a place, which frightens many men let alone women. Due to the aggressive and violent nature of war, only men have a duty to participate in Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) while women are exempted. A woman once asked the Prophet to allow women to go on Jihâd with men because of its excellence and the unlimited reward promised to Mujâhidin (Muslim fighters) in the Hereafter. The Prophet replied: "For them is a Jihâd without fighting,"which referred to the Hajj and ' Umrah. Nevertheless the Prophet did permit women to nurse the injured and supply provisions to the Mujâhidin at some battles. A woman from the tribe of Ghifâr came with a large group of women to the Prophet when he was preparing to leave for the conquest of Khaibar. She said: "O Allah's Messenger, we wish to accompany you on this journey so that we may nurse the injured and help the Muslims." The Prophet responded, "Come may Allah shower His blessings upon you." Umm 'Atiyyah an Ansâri woman, once said:
"I have participated in seven battles with the Prophet. I used to guard the camels of the Mujahidin in their absence, cook the food, treat the injured and care for the sick."
Mu'âdh bin Jabal reports that his cousin Asmâ' bint Yazid killed nine Roman soldiers with a tent-pole during the battle of Yarmuk.

7. Freedom to choose Her Husband

The guardian of the girl, whether her father, brother or uncle, plays an important role in her marriage, such as finding a suitable match for her. But under no circumstance does this allow him to force his choice on her against her wishes. She is free to accept or reject his choice, or make her own choice. A woman named Khansâ bint Khidâm once came to the Prophet and complained:
"My father has forced me to marry my cousin in order to raise his own status (in the eyes of the people)."
The Prophet told her that she was free to dissolve this marriage and choose whomever she wished to marry. She replied,
"I accept my father's choice, but my aim was to let the women know that fathers have no right to interfere in the marriage." (Ahmad, An-Nasa 'i and Ibn Mâjah)

8. A Woman's Guarantee in War is acceptable

If a woman gives surety to a war-captive or gives him shelter, her guarantee will be accepted. Umm Hâni a cousin of the Prophet, said to him after the conquest of Makkah: " I have given shelter to two of my in-laws." The Prophet said: "O Umm Hâni, we have given shelter to whom you have given shelter." According to another narrative, Umm Hâni gave shelter to a man but her cousin 'Ali tried to kill the man. She complained to the Prophet who endorsed her act of giving shelter to the man.

9. The Right to custody of Children

Divorce is especially painful and difficult when the couple have had children, and awarding custody to either party involves difficulties. According to Western law, both father and mother have to prove to the Court that they are more capable of looking after the children, and this often involves maligning the other party in order to strengthen their own claims to custody. Islamic law has its own clear decision on this issue. Custody of young boys and girls goes to the mother. The son stays with his mother until he is about seven or nine years of age, after which he is looked after by the father. The daughter remains with her mother until she gets married. The exception is when the mother herself re-marries, in which case custody may be awarded to someone else such as the girl's grandmother or aunt. This is based on the Prophet's words to the divorcee:
"Your right to custody of the child is greater as long as you do not remarry."

10. Participation in extending cooperation for the promotion of good and elimination of evil.

The Qur’ân deals with this subject in clear terms:
"The believers, men and women, are Auliyâ ' (helpers, supporters, friends, protectors) of one another; they enjoin (on the people) Al-Ma'ruf (i.e. Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam orders one to do), and forbid (people) from Al-Munkar (i.e.. polytheism and disbelief of all kinds, and all that Islam has forbidden); they perform As-Salât (Iqįmat-as-Salįt), and give the Zakât, and obey Allah and His Messenger. Allah will have His Mercy on them. Surely, Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise." (V. 9:71)

Durrah
08-01-2006, 07:33 PM

Islam is not sexist, however many of our muslim brothers are. Some of our attitudes and actions of our brothers today towards women is dispicable. It reminds me of the catholics 200 yrs ago who believed women were the devils, women were inferior, women were a curse and the cause of all evil. That mentality has unfortantly seeped into some of our brother's heads, which seriously needs to be iradicated.

Obviously if these brothers bothered to practise islam, read and act upon the quran and sunnah and not their backward, oppressive cultural ideas, then we wouldnt have these problems.

Les_Nubian
08-02-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm not "accepting the alligations of others against my religion", I'm trusting that, as Muslims claim, that the Hadith, and the words and actions of the Prophet, actually mean something. Am I wrong?

Here is one (Hadith found in Sahih al-Bukhari:)

"Allah's Apostle once said to a group of women : 'I have not seen any one more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. A cautious, sensible man could be led astray by some of you.' The women asked: 'O Allah's Apostle, what is deficient in our intelligence and religion?' He said: 'Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?' They replied in the affirmative. He said: 'This is the deficiency of your intelligence' ... 'Isn't it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?' The women replied in the affirmative. He said: 'This is the deficiency in your religion.'"[14]
---------------------------------------------------

A "Muslim Scholar", Dr. Buti, states the (supposed) reason behind the wearing of Hijab:

"Allah, the most high, decreed that the woman should be veiled. He did so in protecting the chastity of the men who might see her, and not in protection of the chastity of the woman from the eyes of those who look at her."[32]

---------------------------------------------------

Now this one I DON'T understand where this "Razi" person is getting this from. I think that he is greatly distorting this verse, and coming up with all of this other CRAP when it's not even there in the Qur'an! (at least not in my Qur'an).

Razi, (a "commentator", commenting on Q. 4:11, said:

"(The males share is that of two females). Man is more perfect than the woman in creation, and intelligence, and in the religious sphere, such as the suitability to be a judge, and a leader in worship. Also, the testimony of the man is twice that of the woman. So that whoever is given great responsibilities must be given correspondingly great privileges. As the woman is deficient in intelligence and of great lust, if she is given much money, much corruption will be the result. "[9]
-----------------------------------------------

Then the author goes on to claim:

The above material, in the first place, is not the personal opinion of some individuals, but it represents the will of Allah as expressed in the teachings of Qur'an and the Hadith. What the Qur'an teaches in black and white, the Hadith teaches in colour. The Hadith quoted in this booklet is consistent with the spirit of Islam and the teachings of the Qur'an

------------------------------------------------

I think that they greatly distort most of the verses in the Qur'an, but what about the Hadith?

Les_Nubian
08-02-2006, 05:42 PM
^that smiley up there was an accident, I'm not really laughing. :/

Hijrah
08-02-2006, 05:44 PM
http://www.irf.net/book2.zip

^download that it gives a good answer to a lot of what you are saying

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-02-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm not "accepting the alligations of others against my religion", I'm trusting that, as Muslims claim, that the Hadith, and the words and actions of the Prophet, actually mean something. Am I wrong?
They mean something but often a person reads one narration and then tries to come to conclusion by themselves. You need to look at ALL the narrations, the arabic text, the asbab laghwal hadith [circumstances behind the prophetic statement] and the commentary. This is why a layman cannot just go to the hadith and try to figure things out themselves, they need to consult the scholars who have done the research.

"Allah's Apostle once said to a group of women : 'I have not seen any one more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. A cautious, sensible man could be led astray by some of you.' The women asked: 'O Allah's Apostle, what is deficient in our intelligence and religion?' He said: 'Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?' They replied in the affirmative. He said: 'This is the deficiency of your intelligence' ... 'Isn't it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?' The women replied in the affirmative. He said: 'This is the deficiency in your religion.'"[14]
The problem is the full arabic meaning is not conveyed:
In this narrative of the Prophet (pbuh), according to a normal principle of the classical Arabic language, some words have been suppressed. The words "Naqisa'tul-`aql wal-deen" translated as: "deficient in intellect and religion" have the noun "umu'r" suppressed. The complete phrase is: "Naqisa'tu umu'ril-`aql wal-di'n" or "Naqisa't fi' umu'ril-`aql wal-di'n" i.e. "deficient in responsibility in matters pertaining to intellect and religion. [...] The Prophet (pbuh) has not interpreted it as a 'deficiency in faith', on the contrary, it has been termed as a deficiency in the responsibility imposed on women in matters relating to religion. The two, as you can see, are not synonymous.
Also, the context has not been coveyed either. The Prophet Muhammad pbuh was encouraging the women to donate money in the cause of Islam after the Eid prayers. So he challenged them to do extra good deeds by reminding them of their responsibility.

Shaykh Salmân Al-'Awdah notes:
When Islam discusses the deficiencies of women, it is neither insulting them nor belittling them. Some men, unfortunately, do precisely that when they quote the words of the Prophet (peace be upon him) that women "have a deficiency in their intellect and their religion". They take these words out of context as a means of oppressing women and putting them down.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) meant something quite different. He said: "I have never seen among those who have a deficiency in their intellect and their religion anyone more capable than women of swaying the intellect of the most determined of men." He is actually asserting here the power of women to influence men and sway their opinion. This is one of the distinctions that women, in their natures, have.

He then went on to define precisely what he meant by these deficiencies. In the remainder of the hadîth, some women asked him: "O Messenger of Allah, what is this deficiency in our intelligence and religion?" He replied: "Isn't it that a woman's testimony as a witness is half of the testimony of man?" They said: "Yes." He said: "This, then, is the deficiency in her intelligence. Isn't it true that when she is in her menses, she leaves off prayers and fasting?" They said: "Yes." He said: "This is the deficiency in her religion."

These are matters of Islamic Law. A woman is neither sinful nor blameworthy because of the prayers and fasts that she misses. She, in fact, receives blessings by obeying Allah and abstaining from those acts while she is menstruating. Her testimony as a witness is half that of men only in matters wherein she is generally less versed than men. In other matters wherein women have particular knowledge, like fosterage and virginity, the testimony of a woman is accepted but not that of a man.
Shaykh Bin Bâz writes:
As for the shortcoming in religion, this stems from the fact that when menstruating or having post- partum bleeding, women neither pray nor fast, and they do not have to make up for their prayers.

As we know, women have no hand in the obstacles that disrupt their religious performances. This is something divine, which reflects Almighty Allah’s overflowing mercy on them, for it will be extremely hard for a woman to be tasked with religious obligation while she is having menstruation or post-partum bleeding. That’s why she is exempted from fasting or praying, as a sign of mercy on her. Also, they do not make up their prayers. This is because if they were ordered to make up their prayers, it would be extremely hard for them, given that prayers are performed five times a day. Menses may last for a number of days, up to seven or eight or more. Post-partum bleeding lasts for forty days. It’d be definitely hard for women to be obliged to make up the prayers missed while responding to the demands of nature.

So, in the light of the above-mentioned facts, the Hadith does not have any indication of looking down upon women or considering them as inferior, especially when we know that some women excel men in many matters. Yes, no one can deny the fact that a woman may perform many good deeds and exceed many men in virtue, morality, etc. Islamic history abounds with examples of great women who have made great contribution to the progress of mankind. This is very clear to anyone who is well informed about the status of women during the time of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, and the early generations.
In addition, the Hadith in question does not disqualify women from being narrators of Hadiths, and there is nothing that prevents a woman from being one of Allah’s pious servants, if she is steadfast in her religion even with her being excused from fasting or praying during menstruation or post-partum bleeding”
A "Muslim Scholar", Dr. Buti, states the (supposed) reason behind the wearing of Hijab:
Islam is based on the Qur'an and Sunnah. Personal opinions of different people are disregarded if they conflict with established evidences in the religion. The Qur'an clearly establishes that the hijab is for the benefit of the women, and then the rest of society:

33:59 O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to cover themselves with their outer garments. That is better so that they will be recognized [as free respectable women] AND NOT HARASSED. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

The same thing is true for Razi. His personal thoughts are not evidence in the religion. It is not my concern to defend what Razi said or didn't say, even though it seems the quote attributed to him is distorted since he has also mentioned that women are NOT inferior to men.

I think that they greatly distort most of the verses in the Qur'an, but what about the Hadith?
They picked one hadith out of context, distorted it and didn't show any of the other hadith on women in Islam:

The Prophet said: 'Anyone who cares for three daughter, gives them a good upbringing, marries them to good husbands and treats them well, they will enter paradise. The companions asked, "What about two daughters?" He said, "Even two daughters". They asked what about one daughter? He said "even one". (Sunan Abi Dawûd, Musnad Ahmad, Mustadarak Al-Hâkim)
A man came to Prophet Muhammad asking “ O Messenger of God, who among the people is the most worthy of my good company?” The Prophet said “Your mother”. The man said “then who else?” The Prophet said “Your mother”. The man asked, “then who else?” The Prophet replied “Your mother” When the man asked for the fourth time, only then did the Prophet say, “Your father” ( Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)
The Prophet said: 'Paradise lies at the feet of your mother' (Musnad Ahmad, Sunan An-Nasâ’i, Sunan Ibn Mâjah)
A'isha, the wife of the Prophet (peace be upon him), said: 'A poor woman came to me carrying her two daughters. I gave her three dates to eat. She gave each child a date, and raised the third to her own mouth to eat it. Her daughters asked her to give it to them, so she split the date that she had wanted to eat between them. I was impressed by what she had done, and told the Messenger of Allah P about it. He said, “Allah has decreed Paradise for her because of it”.' (Sahîh Muslim)
The Prophet said: 'Whoever has a daughter born to him, and he did not prefer his son over him, Allah will admit him to Paradise because of her.' (Mustadarak Al-Hâkim)
The Prophet said: 'There is no one who has three daughters, or three sisters, and he treats them well, but Allah will admit him/her to Paradise.' (Al-Adab Al-Mufrad of Bukhârî)
The Prophet said: 'There is no one among my ummah who has three daughters, or three sisters, and he supports them until they are grown up, but he will be with me in Paradise like this – and he held up his index and middle fingers together. (Mu'jam At-Tabarânî)
The Prophet said: 'The best of you is the one who is best to his wife. I am the best of you to his wife and I'm the best to my wife.' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî, Sunan Ad-Dârimî, Sahîh Ibn Hibbân)
The Prophet said: 'The most perfect of the believers in faith are the best of them in moral excellence, and the best of you are the kindest to their wives. (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)
The Prophet said: 'None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner. And none but an ignoble treats women disgracefully' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)
The Prophet said: 'I command you to be kind to women.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)
The Prophet said: 'The believer should not harbor hatred towards his wife. If he dislikes something in her, then surely he will be pleased with another quality in her.' (Sahîh Muslim)
The Prophet said to Abd-Allah ibn 'Amr ibn al-'Aas, who used to fast all day and pray all night: 'Do not do that. Fast and break your fast, pray qiyaam and sleep, for your body has a right over you, your eyes have a right over you, your wife has a right over you and your visitors have a right over you.' (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)
A'isha, the wife of the Prophet, was asked, "What did the Prophet used to do at home?" She answered, "he kept himself busy helping the members of his household, and when the time for prayer came, he would go out for the prayer". (Sahîh Bukhârî)
The Prophet said: 'Verily among the most evil of people with Allah in ranking on the Day of Resurrection is a man who goes to his wife and whose wife goes to him, and then he spreads her secrets.' (Sahîh Muslim, Musnad Ahmad, Sunan Abû Dawûd)
The Prophet said: "Iblîs (Satan) sets up his throne on water, then he sends out his armies of devils (to incite humans to do evil). The closest to him of these troops are the ones who cause the most tribulation. One of them comes and says, 'I have done such and such.' Iblîs says, 'You have not done enough.' Then another one comes and says, 'I never left him alone until I created trouble and caused division between him and his wife.' Then Iblîs comes close to this devil and says, 'How excellent you are!' " (Sahîh Muslim)
The Prophet said: 'A woman may be married for four reasons: for her property, her status, her beauty, and her religion; so marry one who is religious, may you be blessed.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)
The Prophet said: 'If any man shows patience with his wife's bad temper, Allah will give him a reward similar to the reward of Ayyub (Job) for his patience, and if any woman shows patience with her husband's bad temper, Allah will give her a reward similar to the reward of Asiyah daughter of Muzahim, the wife of Pharoah (Cf. Qur'an 66:11).' (Al-Kabâ'ir of Adh-Dhahabî)
The Prophet said: 'Consult with women. Indeed, you have some rights over your women and they have some rights over you. It is their right on you that you provide for their food and clothing generously, and your right on them is that they do not let anyone whom you dislike in the house, walking upon your floor. (Sunan Ibn Mâjah, Sunan At-Tirmidhî)
Al-Khansaa’ bint Khidaam complained to the Prophet that her father wanted her to marry someone she didn’t want, saying “I do not wish to accept what my father has arranged.” The Prophet said, “Then this marriage is invalid, go and marry whomever you wish.” Al-Khansaa’ said, “I have actually accepted what my father has arranged, but I wanted women to know that fathers have no right in their daughter’s matters” (i.e. they have no right to force a marriage on them). (Fath Al-Barî Ibn Hajr, Sunan Ibn Mâjah)
The Prophet said: 'The most perfect believers are the best in conduct and best of you are those who are best to their wives.' (Musnad Ahmad)
The Prophet said: 'The life of this world is bountiful, and the best of the bounties of this world is the righteous woman.' (Sahîh Muslim)

The Prophet said: 'Assuredly, women are the twin halves of men.' (Sunan Abî Dawûd, Sunan At-Tirmidhî, Musnad Ahmad)

Les_Nubian
08-03-2006, 02:21 AM
They mean something but often a person reads one narration and then tries to come to conclusion by themselves. You need to look at ALL the narrations, the arabic text, the asbab laghwal hadith [circumstances behind the prophetic statement] and the commentary. This is why a layman cannot just go to the hadith and try to figure things out themselves, they need to consult the scholars who have done the research.

The problem is the full arabic meaning is not conveyed:
In this narrative of the Prophet (pbuh), according to a normal principle of the classical Arabic language, some words have been suppressed. The words "Naqisa'tul-`aql wal-deen" translated as: "deficient in intellect and religion" have the noun "umu'r" suppressed. The complete phrase is: "Naqisa'tu umu'ril-`aql wal-di'n" or "Naqisa't fi' umu'ril-`aql wal-di'n" i.e. "deficient in responsibility in matters pertaining to intellect and religion. [...] The Prophet (pbuh) has not interpreted it as a 'deficiency in faith', on the contrary, it has been termed as a deficiency in the responsibility imposed on women in matters relating to religion. The two, as you can see, are not synonymous.
Also, the context has not been coveyed either. The Prophet Muhammad pbuh was encouraging the women to donate money in the cause of Islam after the Eid prayers. So he challenged them to do extra good deeds by reminding them of their responsibility.

Shaykh Salmân Al-'Awdah notes:
When Islam discusses the deficiencies of women, it is neither insulting them nor belittling them. Some men, unfortunately, do precisely that when they quote the words of the Prophet (peace be upon him) that women "have a deficiency in their intellect and their religion". They take these words out of context as a means of oppressing women and putting them down.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) meant something quite different. He said: "I have never seen among those who have a deficiency in their intellect and their religion anyone more capable than women of swaying the intellect of the most determined of men." He is actually asserting here the power of women to influence men and sway their opinion. This is one of the distinctions that women, in their natures, have.

He then went on to define precisely what he meant by these deficiencies. In the remainder of the hadîth, some women asked him: "O Messenger of Allah, what is this deficiency in our intelligence and religion?" He replied: "Isn't it that a woman's testimony as a witness is half of the testimony of man?" They said: "Yes." He said: "This, then, is the deficiency in her intelligence. Isn't it true that when she is in her menses, she leaves off prayers and fasting?" They said: "Yes." He said: "This is the deficiency in her religion."

These are matters of Islamic Law. A woman is neither sinful nor blameworthy because of the prayers and fasts that she misses. She, in fact, receives blessings by obeying Allah and abstaining from those acts while she is menstruating. Her testimony as a witness is half that of men only in matters wherein she is generally less versed than men. In other matters wherein women have particular knowledge, like fosterage and virginity, the testimony of a woman is accepted but not that of a man.
Shaykh Bin Bâz writes:
As for the shortcoming in religion, this stems from the fact that when menstruating or having post- partum bleeding, women neither pray nor fast, and they do not have to make up for their prayers.

As we know, women have no hand in the obstacles that disrupt their religious performances. This is something divine, which reflects Almighty Allah’s overflowing mercy on them, for it will be extremely hard for a woman to be tasked with religious obligation while she is having menstruation or post-partum bleeding. That’s why she is exempted from fasting or praying, as a sign of mercy on her. Also, they do not make up their prayers. This is because if they were ordered to make up their prayers, it would be extremely hard for them, given that prayers are performed five times a day. Menses may last for a number of days, up to seven or eight or more. Post-partum bleeding lasts for forty days. It’d be definitely hard for women to be obliged to make up the prayers missed while responding to the demands of nature.

So, in the light of the above-mentioned facts, the Hadith does not have any indication of looking down upon women or considering them as inferior, especially when we know that some women excel men in many matters. Yes, no one can deny the fact that a woman may perform many good deeds and exceed many men in virtue, morality, etc. Islamic history abounds with examples of great women who have made great contribution to the progress of mankind. This is very clear to anyone who is well informed about the status of women during the time of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, and the early generations.
In addition, the Hadith in question does not disqualify women from being narrators of Hadiths, and there is nothing that prevents a woman from being one of Allah’s pious servants, if she is steadfast in her religion even with her being excused from fasting or praying during menstruation or post-partum bleeding”
Islam is based on the Qur'an and Sunnah. Personal opinions of different people are disregarded if they conflict with established evidences in the religion. The Qur'an clearly establishes that the hijab is for the benefit of the women, and then the rest of society:

33:59 O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to cover themselves with their outer garments. That is better so that they will be recognized [as free respectable women] AND NOT HARASSED. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.

The same thing is true for Razi. His personal thoughts are not evidence in the religion. It is not my concern to defend what Razi said or didn't say, even though it seems the quote attributed to him is distorted since he has also mentioned that women are NOT inferior to men.

They picked one hadith out of context, distorted it and didn't show any of the other hadith on women in Islam:

The Prophet said: 'Anyone who cares for three daughter, gives them a good upbringing, marries them to good husbands and treats them well, they will enter paradise. The companions asked, "What about two daughters?" He said, "Even two daughters". They asked what about one daughter? He said "even one". (Sunan Abi Dawûd, Musnad Ahmad, Mustadarak Al-Hâkim)
A man came to Prophet Muhammad asking “ O Messenger of God, who among the people is the most worthy of my good company?” The Prophet said “Your mother”. The man said “then who else?” The Prophet said “Your mother”. The man asked, “then who else?” The Prophet replied “Your mother” When the man asked for the fourth time, only then did the Prophet say, “Your father” ( Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)
The Prophet said: 'Paradise lies at the feet of your mother' (Musnad Ahmad, Sunan An-Nasâ’i, Sunan Ibn Mâjah)
A'isha, the wife of the Prophet (peace be upon him), said: 'A poor woman came to me carrying her two daughters. I gave her three dates to eat. She gave each child a date, and raised the third to her own mouth to eat it. Her daughters asked her to give it to them, so she split the date that she had wanted to eat between them. I was impressed by what she had done, and told the Messenger of Allah P about it. He said, “Allah has decreed Paradise for her because of it”.' (Sahîh Muslim)
The Prophet said: 'Whoever has a daughter born to him, and he did not prefer his son over him, Allah will admit him to Paradise because of her.' (Mustadarak Al-Hâkim)
The Prophet said: 'There is no one who has three daughters, or three sisters, and he treats them well, but Allah will admit him/her to Paradise.' (Al-Adab Al-Mufrad of Bukhârî)
The Prophet said: 'There is no one among my ummah who has three daughters, or three sisters, and he supports them until they are grown up, but he will be with me in Paradise like this – and he held up his index and middle fingers together. (Mu'jam At-Tabarânî)
The Prophet said: 'The best of you is the one who is best to his wife. I am the best of you to his wife and I'm the best to my wife.' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî, Sunan Ad-Dârimî, Sahîh Ibn Hibbân)
The Prophet said: 'The most perfect of the believers in faith are the best of them in moral excellence, and the best of you are the kindest to their wives. (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)
The Prophet said: 'None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner. And none but an ignoble treats women disgracefully' (Sunan At-Tirmidhî)
The Prophet said: 'I command you to be kind to women.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)
The Prophet said: 'The believer should not harbor hatred towards his wife. If he dislikes something in her, then surely he will be pleased with another quality in her.' (Sahîh Muslim)
The Prophet said to Abd-Allah ibn 'Amr ibn al-'Aas, who used to fast all day and pray all night: 'Do not do that. Fast and break your fast, pray qiyaam and sleep, for your body has a right over you, your eyes have a right over you, your wife has a right over you and your visitors have a right over you.' (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)
A'isha, the wife of the Prophet, was asked, "What did the Prophet used to do at home?" She answered, "he kept himself busy helping the members of his household, and when the time for prayer came, he would go out for the prayer". (Sahîh Bukhârî)
The Prophet said: 'Verily among the most evil of people with Allah in ranking on the Day of Resurrection is a man who goes to his wife and whose wife goes to him, and then he spreads her secrets.' (Sahîh Muslim, Musnad Ahmad, Sunan Abû Dawûd)
The Prophet said: "Iblîs (Satan) sets up his throne on water, then he sends out his armies of devils (to incite humans to do evil). The closest to him of these troops are the ones who cause the most tribulation. One of them comes and says, 'I have done such and such.' Iblîs says, 'You have not done enough.' Then another one comes and says, 'I never left him alone until I created trouble and caused division between him and his wife.' Then Iblîs comes close to this devil and says, 'How excellent you are!' " (Sahîh Muslim)
The Prophet said: 'A woman may be married for four reasons: for her property, her status, her beauty, and her religion; so marry one who is religious, may you be blessed.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)
The Prophet said: 'If any man shows patience with his wife's bad temper, Allah will give him a reward similar to the reward of Ayyub (Job) for his patience, and if any woman shows patience with her husband's bad temper, Allah will give her a reward similar to the reward of Asiyah daughter of Muzahim, the wife of Pharoah (Cf. Qur'an 66:11).' (Al-Kabâ'ir of Adh-Dhahabî)
The Prophet said: 'Consult with women. Indeed, you have some rights over your women and they have some rights over you. It is their right on you that you provide for their food and clothing generously, and your right on them is that they do not let anyone whom you dislike in the house, walking upon your floor. (Sunan Ibn Mâjah, Sunan At-Tirmidhî)
Al-Khansaa’ bint Khidaam complained to the Prophet that her father wanted her to marry someone she didn’t want, saying “I do not wish to accept what my father has arranged.” The Prophet said, “Then this marriage is invalid, go and marry whomever you wish.” Al-Khansaa’ said, “I have actually accepted what my father has arranged, but I wanted women to know that fathers have no right in their daughter’s matters” (i.e. they have no right to force a marriage on them). (Fath Al-Barî Ibn Hajr, Sunan Ibn Mâjah)
The Prophet said: 'The most perfect believers are the best in conduct and best of you are those who are best to their wives.' (Musnad Ahmad)
The Prophet said: 'The life of this world is bountiful, and the best of the bounties of this world is the righteous woman.' (Sahîh Muslim)

The Prophet said: 'Assuredly, women are the twin halves of men.' (Sunan Abî Dawûd, Sunan At-Tirmidhî, Musnad Ahmad)
Thanks for that explanation. :sister:

Looking4Peace
08-03-2006, 02:26 AM

True?

Is this true?

um what does this have to do with sexism?:rollseyes

Les_Nubian
08-03-2006, 03:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crystal4Peace
um what does this have to do with sexism?:rollseyes
The link has been deleted, sweetie.

Quruxbadaan
08-03-2006, 03:29 AM
o my gosh this is great

well im a muslim sister and soo far i dont find islam to be sexist at all whatsoever

on the contrary islam is liberation

And the beauty of it is a blessing from our merciful creator

Malaikah
08-03-2006, 11:07 AM

Shaykh Salmân Al-'Awdah notes:[INDENT] When Islam discusses the deficiencies of women, it is neither insulting them nor belittling them. Some men, unfortunately, do precisely that when they quote the words of the Prophet (peace be upon him) that women "have a deficiency in their intellect and their religion". They take these words out of context as a means of oppressing women and putting them down.

now thats interesting, why didnt they just translate it that way in the 1st place? :?

scentsofjannah
08-03-2006, 11:50 AM
But I'm saying this guy says these verses that see women as inferior are found in the Qur'an, and Hadith, and I looked some of them up and he's right! (I never finished reading the entirety of the Qur'an, I'm a slow reader :P )
sis Les Nubian..people will bring whatever they see is evidence to support their views..havent you heard how nonmuslims even say theres proof Islam is for the killing of innocents jews and christians and then they bring a load of verses taken out of context...its nothing new :)

Qur'an is the word of God , the hadeeth is not protected and contains authentic sayings of Prophet Muhammed (saw) as well as totally false and fabricated reports..we should be careful...basically if any hadeeth establishes something new (bida) or contradicts the spirit of Islam embodied in the Quran etc then we have to reject it.

hope that helps ..also go to this site www.crescentlife.com there are many articles about Islam and femenism etc

Les_Nubian
08-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Thank you scentsofjannah for your kind words.

That's more than I can say for some people.

syilla
06-08-2007, 05:16 AM
*bump

if only i read this first then maybe i can easily tell them.

boriqee
06-08-2007, 08:14 PM

True?

Is this true?

well regardless of everything you come acorss

Let this be your hujjah (final proof in judgement) for all matters such as these.

asalamu alaikum

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.