/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Only God saves so says the Bible

al-fateh
08-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Isaih 43:11

I am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

so why do christians say its Jesus??

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lavikor201
08-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Chrsians say Jesus was God. They say that God had three parts.

The Father
The Son
The Holy Ghost.

Of course I completly reject this idea as an Orthodox Jew, but it is the foundation of Chrsitian belief.

Therefore when someone says Jesus saves... they mean God saves.

Phil12123
08-04-2006, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
Christians say Jesus was God. They say that God had three parts.

The Father
The Son
The Holy Ghost.

Of course I completly reject this idea as an Orthodox Jew, but it is the foundation of Chrsitian belief.

Not sure I, as a Christian, would say God has three "parts" but rather "Persons". But you have the right idea. Actually, "Persons" causes many to think of three Gods, which is not so. To say God is Savior, the ONLY Savior, is to say The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit IS the only Savior.

And all three are essential to our salvation:

1. The Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world (1 John 4:14).

2. The Son (the "Word") took upon Himself mortal flesh and went and died for our sins (John 1:1,14; Rom. 5:8; 1 Cor. 15:1-3).

3. The Holy Spirit convicts us of our sins and shows us our need for a Savior and, upon our placing our faith in Jesus and what He did at Calvary for our sins, regenerates us and gives us LIFE, eternal life.

This may have been answered in your thread of questions answered by a Jew, but since the original question of this thread was from Isaiah and you answered the question, would you please tell me WHO Isaiah was referring to in Isaiah 53:

3. He is despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.
4. Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed Him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted.
5. But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed.
6. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned, every one, to his own way; and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.
7. He was oppressed and He was afflicted, yet He opened not His mouth; He was led as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so He opened not his mouth.
8. He was taken from prison and from judgment, and who will declare His generation? For He was cut off from the land of the living; for the transgressions of My people He was stricken.
9. And they made His grave with the wicked but with the rich at His death, because He had done no violence, nor was any deceit in His mouth.
10. Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him; He has put Him to grief. When You make His soul an offering for sin, He shall see His seed, He shall prolong His days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in His hand.
11. He shall see the travail of His soul, and be satisfied. by His knowledge My righteous Servant shall justify many, for He shall bear their iniquities.
12. Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great, and He shall divide the spoil with the strong, because He poured out His soul unto death, and He was numbered with the transgressors, and He bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

If you've already answered that, perhaps you can give me a link to your answer, or just copy and paste it. Thanks.

Peace

Dawud_uk
08-04-2006, 04:00 PM
the athenian creed always made no sense to me what-so-ever!

i mean,
1st person = God the father
2nd person = God the son
3rd person = God the holy Spirit

now that is 1 + 1 + 1 and somehow that equals 1 in the minds of the modern christians, absolutely crazy!

1 + 1 + 1 = 3 not 1

when i used to question vicars and priests before i came to islam they would go around and around and eventually just say that i had to accept it blindly to be saved even though it didnt make sense.

this is why islam is superior and shown to be the true faith of God, it combines faith and reason together and uses logical sources and evidence to back up its ideas.

peace be upon those who follow righteous guidence,
Daw'ud

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Phil12123
08-05-2006, 12:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk

i mean,
2nd person = God the son

now that is 1 + 1 + 1 and somehow that equals 1 in the minds of the modern christians, absolutely crazy!

1 + 1 + 1 = 3 not 1

when i used to question vicars and priests before i came to islam they would go around and around and eventually just say that i had to accept it blindly to be saved even though it didnt make sense.

this is why islam is superior and shown to be the true faith of God, it combines faith and reason together and uses logical sources and evidence to back up its ideas.
I think you mean the Athanasian Creed, named after Athanasius (c. 296-373 A.D.). Well, you are half right. 1 Person + 1 Person + 1 Person does equal 3 Persons, not 1 Person. But they do equal the ONE God.

What I would like to know from you is, after knowing Jesus died for your sins, are you going to forsake that and risk paying for them yourself throughout all eternity? Payment MUST be made for ALL sin. If HE didn't make that payment, YOU have to. It is as simple as that. How does your "true faith of God" deal with that FACT? Simply overlook sin, or forgive it without any payment? God would not be a just Judge if He did that.

Peace

snakelegs
08-05-2006, 01:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Phil12123
I think you mean the Athanasian Creed, named after Athanasius (c. 296-373 A.D.). Well, you are half right. 1 Person + 1 Person + 1 Person does equal 3 Persons, not 1 Person. But they do equal the ONE God.

What I would like to know from you is, after knowing Jesus died for your sins, are you going to forsake that and risk paying for them yourself throughout all eternity? Payment MUST be made for ALL sin. If HE didn't make that payment, YOU have to. It is as simple as that. How does your "true faith of God" deal with that FACT? Simply overlook sin, or forgive it without any payment? God would not be a just Judge if He did that.

Peace
because [Byou[/B] "know" jesus died for you sins, that is true for you
as a christian. he did die for your sins in your religion. obviously, that is not truth to the majority of the world's population, including me.
so as for me, i am not forsaking anything whatsoever. how can i forsake something that is a matter of belief only, if i do not share the belief?
what is says in your holy book is not FACT - it is only fact for those who believe in it. and accept that as their starting premise i've had arguments like this with before - with both christians and muslims.

PrIM3
08-05-2006, 04:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
because [Byou[/B] "know" jesus died for you sins, that is true for you
as a christian. he did die for your sins in your religion. obviously, that is not truth to the majority of the world's population, including me.
so as for me, i am not forsaking anything whatsoever. how can i forsake something that is a matter of belief only, if i do not share the belief?
what is says in your holy book is not FACT - it is only fact for those who believe in it. and accept that as their starting premise i've had arguments like this with before - with both christians and muslims.

your forsaking it if its part of history.

Eric H
08-05-2006, 04:30 AM
Greetings and peace be with you snakelegs;

it is only fact for those who believe in it
I agree with you although, I would say it is only a fact if it is a fact, otherwise it is fiction. I don’t think I will ever understand the power of beliefs, our beliefs can inspire life and death.

Life is a journey always one day at a time, and as we grow in faith our beliefs seem to become our facts that we forge our destiny on.

I believe there is a great need to build relationships with people who have equally sincere but different beliefs to our own.

In the spirit of striving for peace

Eric

Phil12123
08-05-2006, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by Dawud_uk

Originally Posted by Phil12123
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
because you "know" jesus died for you sins, that is true for you as a christian. he did die for your sins in your religion. obviously, that is not truth to the majority of the world's population, including me.
Snakelegs, I was addressing my comments and questions to Dawud_uk who, I guess was once a Christian, at least nominally, and then became a Muslim, not to you, an agnostic. I realize you never forsook anything, not having ever believed it.

You are correct, though, that Jesus did NOT die for YOUR sins, in effect, if you reject that death for your sins. Your sins then remain unpaid for and you will have to pay for them yourself.

Peace

snakelegs
08-05-2006, 05:37 AM
Snakelegs, I was addressing my comments and questions to Dawud_uk who, I guess was once a Christian, at least nominally, and then became a Muslim, not to you, an agnostic. I realize you never forsook anything, not having ever believed it.

You are correct, though, that Jesus did NOT die for YOUR sins, in effect, if you reject that death for your sins. Your sins then remain unpaid for and you will have to pay for them yourself.

Peace
oh.

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 07:15 AM

i mean,
2nd person = God the son

1 + 1 + 1 = 3 not 1

Daw'ud
Here's an analogy:

I am a
1. mother
2. wife
3. daughter
1+1+1=3

Am I three people? No. I'm still just one person.

Abdul-Raouf
08-05-2006, 07:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
Chrsians say Jesus was God. They say that God had three parts.

The Father
The Son
The Holy Ghost.

WHATS THE JEWS BELIEF ABOUT GOD........

Abdul-Raouf
08-05-2006, 07:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
Here's an analogy:

I am a
1. mother
2. wife
3. daughter
1+1+1=3

Am I three people? No. I'm still just one person.
BUT U CANT BECOME MOTHER AND WIFE AND DAUGHTER..... TO THE SAME PERSON...... poor example :giggling:

And u say that holy spirit, son, God.... all are the one :? ???????

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 07:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muzammil
BUT U CANT BECOME MOTHER AND WIFE AND DAUGHTER..... TO THE SAME PERSON...... poor example :giggling:

And u say that holy spirit, son, God.... all are the one :? ???????
Is God capable of anything? Or does he have limitations?

Christianity teaches that God is capable of anything.

Woodrow
08-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Is God capable of anything? Or does he have limitations?

Christianity teaches that God is capable of anything.
The same God(swt) who is capable of revealing the Qur'an to Muhammad, so that it would be seen by all nations. The same God(swt) who is cabable of forgiving sins with just a thought.

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 08:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The same God(swt) who is capable of revealing the Qur'an to Muhammad, so that it would be seen by all nations. The same God(swt) who is cabable of forgiving sins with just a thought.
This is my point. If muslims can believe in the awesome event of the Quran being revealed, they can surely understand why Christians would believe in something as complex as the trinity.

Woodrow
08-05-2006, 08:54 AM
This is my point. If muslims can believe in the awesome event of the Quran being revealed, they can surely understand why Christians would believe in something as complex as the trinity.
On a personal note I can understand why a Christian would believe so. I believed so for many years myself. It was only after I sought evidence as to why we were taught about the Trinity, when I could find no reference prior to the Nicene Counsel. Then it struck me as even odder that since the Nicene Council was composed of the Catholic Church, why do so many who consider themselves Christian deny other teachings of the Catholic Church. Seems like it is a belief brought about through selective "evidence".

I don't think many would not believe in God's(swt) ability to create a trinity. I just do not think we have seen any evidence that he has done so.

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 04:09 PM
On a personal note I can understand why a Christian would believe so. I believed so for many years myself. It was only after I sought evidence as to why we were taught about the Trinity, when I could find no reference prior to the Nicene Counsel. Then it struck me as even odder that since the Nicene Council was composed of the Catholic Church, why do so many who consider themselves Christian deny other teachings of the Catholic Church. Seems like it is a belief brought about through selective "evidence".

I don't think many would not believe in God's(swt) ability to create a trinity. I just do not think we have seen any evidence that he has done so.
That's fair enough. There are some good refutations about the trinity. But to me it comes down to faith, like any other religious belief.

Dawud_uk
08-07-2006, 11:56 AM

Peace
look you see all mankind as sinful, i simply do not.

every person is capable of repentence to God, to seek their salvation and knowing God is most merciful,

you are denying God's mercy when you say we must go through another person to get mercy.

peace,
Daw'ud

Dawud_uk
08-07-2006, 12:00 PM

Peace
actually i was never a christian, was never christened and only ever turned up at church when forced into it for family christenings, weddings and funerals.

i have had this discussion with christian missionaries, vicars and priests and none of them could make me believe 1 + 1 + 1 = 1 or that we are all born sinful.

peace,

Daw'ud

Phil12123
08-07-2006, 03:42 PM

Woodrow, many people who are raised in a Christian home (at least nominally Christian) might believe in the Trinity because it is just part of the Christian "package" of beliefs. A person like that who later tries to figure God out using only reason and logic might then question or even reject a belief like the Trinity that was initially accepted on faith. That is all understandable. But then there are so many other things we cannot, and should not be expected to, understand about God using only reason and logic, that where does it end? Not believing in God at all, like some of the atheists who post here?

When you're dealing with God and the supernatural, at some point I think we all just accept certain things on faith and expect that at some point later, in the sweet by and by, we will get all the answers to our unanswered questions. At that point, I suspect many of our questions will not even be important anymore. The thing I think important is that eternity is soooo long and our present life is soooo short that when so much depends on what we do or believe in this short side of eternity, it becomes crucial to the extreme---a matter of spiritual (and eternal) life and death, so much so that if we mess up and get it wrong now, we will likely not have a second chance to get it right on the other side.

I appreciate this forum because it gives us all an opportunity explore the belief systems of people who reject our own belief system, as well as to perhaps explain to them that which we presently hold dear, while hearing how others explain what they presently hold dear. Hopefully, we all have as a goal the search for TRUTH, even though at any given moment we may all think we already have it. This forum is like a grand cyberspace university offering countless classes, each thread a different class, in which ideas pro and con are bounced off each other in the search for that TRUTH. I appreciate the role of the moderators to keep that process civil and respectful, and therefore fruitful. It is usually lack of understanding of another person's point of view that leads to lack of civility, which we may all be guilty of from time to time.

Now then... back to the Trinity. I think the belief in Jesus' Deity may have been one of those things that was accepted early on but which later called for a gathering of teachers and theologians to debate it, hence Nicea, when someone began to question it and teach something against it. All the early church Fathers taught His Deity, calling Jesus "God" and when the final decision was made concerning it at that Council, there was perhaps one or two (among hundreds) that argued against His Deity. I mean the vote was not even close. And it was not really a matter of Catholic vs. non-Catholic. It was a matter of what saith the Scriptures? That was their authority so that is what really decided the issue. Arianism (named after Arius, the dissenter) was determined to be heresy and therefore rejected by the Council. There may have been no reference, or very little, to the Trinity prior to that Council, as you note, because it was not until then that it was even an issue.

As a non-Catholic I don't think it is "selective evidence" that causes me to reject some Catholic teachings---it is no evidence at all, from a scriptural standpoint. For example, I reject the idea of purgatory because I believe there is NO evidence for that doctrine in the Bible, and much evidence that goes against it. I mean, that is such a major doctrine---what happens when you die? do you go straight to heaven or hell, or stop off in purgatory on your way to heaven?---that if it were true, it would be explicitly and unambiguously taught in place after place (like hell is) throughout the Scriptures. But it is NOT! So I reject it.

Peace

Phil12123
08-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Phil12123
look you see all mankind as sinful, i simply do not.

every person is capable of repentence to God, to seek their salvation and knowing God is most merciful,

you are denying God's mercy when you say we must go through another person to get mercy.
Well, yes, I see all mankind as sinful and needing forgiveness and salvation, and you "simply do not"? How so? Are there some sinless people that you know of (let's exclude babies and small children, for the moment)? They have never sinned in word, thought, or deed? I would love to meet them!!

Yes, every person is capable of repentance and seeking salvation. But the issue is, what is the basis for God's granting that salvation and forgiveness of sins? If it is not Christ's payment for your sins, what is it? YOU paying for them? Or NO ONE paying for them? Are they simply wiped out with no payment? How is God just, if that is the case? To say that He is merciful does not cut it. He is also JUST. Justice requires that ALL sin be punished. His mercy is based on the sins being PAID for, at the same time that He is saying YOU don't have to pay for them. The only acceptable payment before God is the payment Christ has made. When you accept that, the payment is credited to your account before God.

Romans 4(NAB):
3 For what does the scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."
22 That is why "it was credited to him as righteousness."
23 But it was not for him alone that it was written that "it was credited to him";
24 it was also for us, to whom it will be credited, who believe in the one who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead,
25 who was handed over for our transgressions and was raised for our justification.

Before that credit is granted, your account before God (like everyone's) is full of sin, nasty sin, that needs dealt with. The beauty of it is that GOD has already dealt with it at Calvary. All you need to do is receive it, as a free gift. When Jesus bore your sins on the cross, He paid the price for them to be freely forgiven. Payment was made. Now God can be both MERCIFUL and JUST in saying YOU walk free, no more to ever have those sins brought up against you. It's a beautiful thing...if you don't reject it.

Peace

strider
08-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Interesting.

All this 1+1+1=3=1 stuff was once put to me by a Christian in the following manner: 1 x 1 x 1=1 -- three forms of the same entity. I can't say i ever did understand it, but there you have it.

Phil12123
08-07-2006, 05:31 PM
actually i was never a christian, was never christened and only ever turned up at church when forced into it for family christenings, weddings and funerals.

i have had this discussion with christian missionaries, vicars and priests and none of them could make me believe 1 + 1 + 1 = 1 or that we are all born sinful.
For the moment, let's set aside the math problem and talk about the other matter, that we are all born sinful. That, of course, is treated in another thread, about original sin, but let me say this here:

I don't believe we are all born "sinful" in the sense that we have any sins at birth that we are guilty of before God that need cleansing. But we all have a fallen, sin nature that leads to actual sins of choice that make us guilty before God. We are not guilty for having a sin nature (we had nothing to do with that), but we are guilty of sins that result from it.

We both agree, I think, that all adults are sinners. We all sin in word, thought, and deed, perhaps every day. WHY is that? At what point did we commit our first sin, with the rest of our lives contaminated by all of our other sins that occurred thereafter? Did you have to teach your child to disobey you? How did he/she learn that? Why did he/she do that? How did WE learn to sin?

Because we all have a will, some stronger than others, we all have asserted it in ways that are harmful to ourselves and others. However you define "sin," we all do it when we assert our own wills in a way contrary to God's will.

What we were born with is a free will, to make choices every day. It is only when those choices amount to "sin" that we become "sinful." That obviously has to happen at some point after birth. So perhaps it is wrong to say we are "born sinful," other than having that fallen nature that at some point in time will result in our making sinful choices, or sin. Comments?

Peace.

Phil12123
08-07-2006, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Interesting.

All this 1+1+1=3=1 stuff was once put to me by a Christian in the following manner: 1 x 1 x 1=1 -- three forms of the same entity. I can't say i ever did understand it, but there you have it.
Yes, very interesting. I have heard about that idea of multiplying instead of adding. Obviously, the result comes out better if you want to end up with a 1, to show ONE God. The addition comes out with a 3, to show 3 Persons.

I think, though, that if we can explain God by simple math, HE would no longer be GOD!! Like I said in one of my other posts, us trying to explain God is like one ant explaining to another ant how man got to the moon and back. It is all so far beyond our pea-brains that it isn't even funny.

All we can really do, is try to understand what God has revealed of Himself in Scripture. I think He does want us to KNOW Him and have a personal relationship with Him, as our children have with us. It's the sin problem that is the main difficulty in having or maintaining that relationship. When our children disobey, there is punishment or some consequences. We don't kill our children when they disobey; we try to correct them. Similarly, when we sin, there is a consequence---either it breaks our relationship with God, or is a problem that must be dealt with before such a relationship can be established.

That is why how the sin problem is dealt with in any religion is really the ultimate issue. If that issue is resolved, most everything else will fall into place. And as I posted elsewhere, all religions deal with that problem in one of two ways---you solve your own sin problem by good works, etc., or GOD solves the sin problem by sending His Son to pay for all our sins.

Peace

strider
08-07-2006, 06:45 PM
For the moment, let's set aside the math problem and talk about the other matter, that we are all born sinful. That, of course, is treated in another thread, about original sin, but let me say this here:

I don't believe we are all born "sinful" in the sense that we have any sins at birth that we are guilty of before God that need cleansing. But we all have a fallen, sin nature that leads to actual sins of choice that make us guilty before God. We are not guilty for having a sin nature (we had nothing to do with that), but we are guilty of sins that result from it.

We both agree, I think, that all adults are sinners. We all sin in word, thought, and deed, perhaps every day. WHY is that? At what point did we commit our first sin, with the rest of our lives contaminated by all of our other sins that occurred thereafter? Did you have to teach your child to disobey you? How did he/she learn that? Why did he/she do that? How did WE learn to sin?

Because we all have a will, some stronger than others, we all have asserted it in ways that are harmful to ourselves and others. However you define "sin," we all do it when we assert our own wills in a way contrary to God's will.

What we were born with is a free will, to make choices every day. It is only when those choices amount to "sin" that we become "sinful." That obviously has to happen at some point after birth. So perhaps it is wrong to say we are "born sinful," other than having that fallen nature that at some point in time will result in our making sinful choices, or sin. Comments?

Peace.
Hmm.. i have a question, which i hope you won't mind answering.

Say a person was born into a non-Christian home so was never Christaned but was in a home with good morals. They grew up and went through life without sinning (not because of religious beliefs but because of good morals), never encountered Christianity, and died. Will such a person be saved?

Phil12123
08-07-2006, 11:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Hmm.. i have a question, which i hope you won't mind answering.

Say a person was born into a non-Christian home so was never Christaned but was in a home with good morals. They grew up and went through life without sinning (not because of religious beliefs but because of good morals), never encountered Christianity, and died. Will such a person be saved?
I realize it is a hypothetical question, which means you can make up any facts you want to put into it, but can you really say anyone can go through life "without sinning"? Sinning is a universal experience, even in the most moral home. Nevertheless, if you want to maintain that he never sinned, then he has no sin to be saved from, no need for a Savior, and he goes to heaven without ever hearing about Jesus.

There are only three ways to get to heaven: (1) never sin; i.e., live a perfect, sinless life; or (2) die before you are accountable for your sins, such as very young children who have not yet reached an age of accountability, or (3) accept the Savior Who died to pay for your sins and rose again. Your hypo put the person in the first category, though no one has ever lived a perfect, sinless life on the earth, other than the Savior Himself.

Peace

Md Mashud
08-08-2006, 12:02 AM
If you told a secret to the mother, the wife, and the daughter too would know - As its the same person.

However, in the bible it says Jesus states that (rough quote) no one has the knowledge of the hour (day of judgement), not he himself, nor the holy ghost, but the father alone.

This verse proves that the 3 are not the same being - rather an innovation/misconception. Jesus was just a prophet - NOT God himself.

This is just one reason, of many - which shows indefinate proof of Jesus not being God.

Phil12123
08-08-2006, 01:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud
If you told a secret to the mother, the wife, and the daughter too would know - As its the same person.

However, in the bible it says Jesus states that (rough quote) no one has the knowledge of the hour (day of judgement), not he himself, nor the holy ghost, but the father alone.

This verse proves that the 3 are not the same being - rather an innovation/misconception. Jesus was just a prophet - NOT God himself.

This is just one reason, of many - which shows indefinate proof of Jesus not being God.
Wording must be precise, or we may have a strawman argument. No one says the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are "the same being"---they are separate and distinct Persons, 3 Persons. But they are all GOD, of the same essence, substance, or nature. Similar in semantics to saying a husband and wife are ONE flesh. They both have the same essence, substance, or nature, namely, human, and yet they are separate and distinct persons.

Peace

Md Mashud
08-08-2006, 02:37 AM
BUt your not saying Husband = WIfe, as you are Jesus = God, so same knowledge should apply.

Dawud_uk
08-08-2006, 07:25 AM

this is an interesting discussion but it comes back to exactly the same points made in previous discussions with vicars and priests.

Christians ask people to accept things on faith without any or little resort to reason or evidence.

Atheists ask people to ask things things on reason and evidence alone without using their faith.

islam asks people to believe but has a logical and reasonable method of varifying their beliefs according to evidence.

Now the evidence of islam we use for denying the trinity and original sin is the word of God, the Quran. The bible when subjected to the same logical scrutiny comes up lacking because of its mixed up formation.

so i accept islam because to me it is in accordance with logic and faith combined, the two important parts of the human nature working together.

atheism and christianity are both lacking in this.

i actually think it was the fact the bible was so full of flaws and errors that led western thinking men to reject their faith and look for other things where as islam has not had this problem as faith and reason can be perfectly combined in our way of life.

Daw'ud

Phil12123
08-09-2006, 05:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Md Mashud
BUt you're not saying Husband = WIfe, as you are Jesus = God, so same knowledge should apply.
I am saying the husband and wife are both of the same essence, substance, or nature (human), just as Jesus, the Son, is of the same essence, substance, or nature as God, the Father (Deity). And yet the husband can have certain things which might make one conclude he is "greater" than his wife, in the same way Jesus said His Father is "greater" than He (position or whatever).

So, both are equal as to essence, substance, or nature, but the Father has perhaps retained the prerogative to send the Son back according to HIS (the Father's) will, when the Father decides to do it, and the Son has submitted His will to the Father in that matter, and therefore leaves that up to the Father, which might be a self-imposed limitation of knowledge. Remember how Jesus prayed in the Garden, "Not my will, but yours be done"? That shows they are separate personages with separate wills when the Son is praying to His Father, just as they were separate before the incarnation ("and the Word was with God"). And yet we also see they are of the same essence, substance, or nature ("...and the Word was God"), which did not change after the incarnation. When the Word or Son left heaven, He did give up something when He "made Himself of no reputation" or "emptied Himself" (Phil. 2:7), though that was probably just His glory and the use of His divine prerogatives when He "took the form of a servant" and "humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross" (2:8).

In any event, Mark 13:32 cannot be interpreted in such a way as to make conclusions like Jesus is not God, thereby negating all the other verses that clearly teach He is God. One verse cannot negate a dozen others, so we must interpret the one to be consistent with all the others. That's much easier than making all the others mean something that they clearly do not say. I do not mean to minimize the difficulty of understanding that one verse and perhaps that is one of the many questions I will want to ask Him when I get there. Nevertheless, that ONE cannot negate the many others.

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.