/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Istinja?

Fishman
08-01-2006, 10:12 PM
:sl:
How compulsory is istinja? I would like to know because my dad wants to stop me from doing it because of the mess, and says that you can only do it with 'primitve' Middle-Eastern toilets? But I've read that most people in the UK use a bottle of water.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mawaddah
08-01-2006, 10:18 PM
The Mess? What mess? If you do Istinja properly there is of course no mess.........
And Istinja is absolutely necessary. Definitely. A Muslim has to cleanse himself properly whenever he leaves the bathroom. If water is not available then tissue can be used.....However they should be used an odd number of times. For example not two wipes, but 3 etc.
But even though it's permissable to use tissue etc. this should only be resorted to if there's no water available.
Rasulullah was once passing by two graves and he said to his companions " Verily the inhabitants of these graves are being tortured, and they are not being tortured for Major [things] as for one of them, he did not used to cleanse himself properly from his urine......"

Perhaps you should find a vessel more suitable for it, because it's definitely not messy.

Fishman
08-01-2006, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
The Mess? What mess? If you do Istinja properly there is of course no mess.........
And Istinja is absolutely necessary. Definitely. A Muslim has to cleanse himself properly whenever he leaves the bathroom. If water is not available then tissue can be used.....However they should be used an odd number of times. For example not two wipes, but 3 etc.
But even though it's permissable to use tissue etc. this should only be resorted to if there's no water available.
Rasulullah was once passing by two graves and he said to his companions " Verily the inhabitants of these graves are being tortured, and they are not being tortured for Major [things] as for one of them, he did not used to cleanse himself properly from his urine......"

Perhaps you should find a vessel more suitable for it, because it's definitely not messy.
Are you supposed to do it after defecating as well, not just urinating? Because my dad's annoyed about the defficating one, saying that I would need a bidet or a 'primitive' toilet.
My dad says that I'm being daft, but that he will discuss it with my mum when she returns.

When I made istinja, it made no mess, but I don't know how well I did it, since it was my first time.

Everytime you do wudhu you do Istinja or after using the toilet, you shoould use a 'lota'
What's a lota? If I don't have one, I don't know where to get one from.

Mawaddah
08-01-2006, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Are you supposed to do it after defecating as well, not just urinating? Because my dad's annoyed about the defficating one, saying that I would need a bidet or a 'primitive' toilet.
My dad says that I'm being daft, but that he will discuss it with my mum when she returns.

When I made istinja, it made no mess, but I don't know how well I did it, since it was my first time.

Everytime one goes to the toilet to releive himself he has to do istinja and not only from urine.
Yeah since it's the first time it's hard I guess, but dont worry! you'll get used to it Insha'allah.....
Hopefully as you get used to it your dad will quit complaining.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mawaddah
08-01-2006, 10:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
Everytime you do wudhu you do Istinja or after using the toilet, you shoould use a 'lota'
Everytime you do wudhu' you do istinja? What exactly do you mean? Istinja is when you cleanse yourself after using the toilet................not making wudhu'

Sorry but I might be misunderstanding you?

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Everytime you do wudhu' you do istinja? What exactly do you mean? Istinja is when you cleanse yourself after using the toilet................not making wudhu'

I mean before you do wudhu you do istinja as it is a part of it, normally a person does wudhu when they have broken it so they do both istinja and wudhu.

[I:GM] Forum
08-02-2006, 11:56 AM
How compulsory is istinja?
very important, if you dont do it properly your salah will not be acepted

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
08-02-2006, 12:00 PM

:sl: bro

one of these:

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/OWNER%7E1.ORG/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/OWNER%7E1.ORG/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/OWNER%7E1.ORG/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG]

lolwatever
08-02-2006, 12:01 PM

looooool rep 4u :D that's too funny lol
your right tho lool

Daffodil
08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
u dnt need to use one of those u can use anything but its easier to use a jug. n it dnt make a mess, if it does that means ur not doing it right.

nutty
08-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Do anyone of you get splashback, meaning when you do istinja with water in a lota, water splash back from the pan onto your body. how do you deal with that problem

Would love to know the answer to that,as that is a recurring problem with me

JAzak-allah

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
08-02-2006, 04:50 PM
dont have the lota so far away lol

syilla
08-03-2006, 01:58 AM
maybe this would help you...

Personal Hygiene in Islam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fatima M. D'Oyen

The Prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said that ‘cleanliness if part of faith’. So we must take care to be well-groomed, keeping our bodies and clothing clean, especially at times of worship.

When visiting the toilet

Regardless of age, we should all take care that our underwear and private parts remain as clean as possible. Underpants, panties and socks should be changed daily in order to avoid unpleasant odours. Females may use pantiliners if necessary. If urine happens to splatter onto your clothing, you should wash it off until no colour or smell remains.

The Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) advised that we should clean ourselves thoroughly after using the toilet. This is called istinja'.

The proper way to make istinja' is to remove all traces of najasa (filth) - urine or faeces with something clean and dry, such as toilet paper. If you are in the countryside and paper tissues are not available, you may use smooth, clean stones or dried clay instead. In At-Tirmidhi it is mentioned not to use bones or dung when performing istinja.

Use your left hand, and wipe your private parts until no trace of impurities can be seen on the toilet paper. It is sunnah to do this an odd number of times. Then clean your private parts with water. Many Muslim homes have special spray hoses installed next to the toilet, or water jugs for this purpose.

After cleaning with water, it is best to dry off again with toilet paper. This is especially recommended for women and girls, in order to prevent infections that occur if your underwear remains damp. For this reason, women and girls should also be careful to wipe from front to back, rather than from back to front. It is also recommended to wear loose, cotton underwear which ‘breathes’ and dries more quickly than panties made from man-made materials such as nylon or polyester.

Take care not to be facing the direction of the Qibla, or with the back towards the Qibla when relieving yourself, and remember that it is sunnah to squat down when doing do.

Wash your hands after using the toilet, taking care that no unpleasant odour remains under or around your fingernails. Finally, it is sunnah to make wudu after using the toilet, so that you are always prepared for prayer and other acts of worship.

Do not relieve oneself at riverbanks, roads and shady places where people walk or rest, or stagnant water (water that does not flow).
[Bukhari and Abu Dawud]

It is recommended to enter the bathroom with the left foot, and to leave it with the right foot; contrary to the way you enter the masjid. It is recommended (sunnah) to enter the masjid with the right foot first, and to leave it with the left foot.
Also, before entering for one to seek refuge in Allah from Shaitan, and say the relevant du'a (supplicaions) when entering and exiting the toilet.

Removing Unnecessary Body Hair

The hair that grows under your arms and around your private parts can also be a source of bad odours, because hair, combined with darkness and moisture, provides and ideal environment for bacteria to grow. When this hair is removed, the body odour is reduced and there is less chance of catching troublesome irritants, such as ‘jock itch’ or body lice. It is also easier to keep the area clean.

The Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said;

Five practices are characteristic of the fitra (the natural state, or tradition of the prophets): circumcision, shaving the pubic hair, cutting the moustache short, clipping the nails, and removing the hair of the armpits.
[Sahih al-Bukhari]

It is permissible to remove the hair under your armpits and your pubic hair by any method that you do not find too difficult or painful: plucking, shaving, cutting it short, using wax treatments, ‘strip’ hair removers, or with any number of special depilatory creams and ointments that are available on the market for this purpose.
This hair should be removed at least once every forty days, or whenever it grows long.

It is also a good idea to use underarm deodorant, especially before participating in sports or going to the school or mosque, so that other people will not be offended by one’s body odour.

It is the custom for girls and women in some countries to shave their legs as well, or to remove all of the hair from their arms and legs with ‘strip’ hair removers or depilatory creams. This is mubah – neither recommended in Islam nor forbidden.

source : http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa/f...l_hygeine.html

searchingsoul
08-03-2006, 05:26 AM
Can you just use babywipes?

Malaikah
08-03-2006, 10:59 AM

^now that would be expensive!

searchingsoul
08-03-2006, 04:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

^now that would be expensive!
Babywipes expensive? They are cheap in the USA. Seems like an easier way to do this. By the way, I never knew there were specific Islamic rules on how to wipe yourself. Something else learned.

lolwatever
08-03-2006, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
Babywipes expensive? They are cheap in the USA. Seems like an easier way to do this. By the way, I never knew there were specific Islamic rules on how to wipe yourself. Something else learned.
I think it's still not as clean as using water though.

syilla
08-04-2006, 01:11 AM
In Islam...there are specific rules for everything...(not really rules but tips and the correct way to do it).

Just ask about anything...and we will teach you.

Malaikah
08-04-2006, 10:11 AM

the great thing about Islam is the way it emcompasses all aspects of ones life...

p.s. imagine buying baby wipes in bulk and using them every time a family member uses the bathroom... it cant be cheaper than normal tissue paper can it? not to mention the water is cheap too, straight from the tap.

searchingsoul
08-04-2006, 11:33 PM

the great thing about Islam is the way it emcompasses all aspects of ones life...

p.s. imagine buying baby wipes in bulk and using them every time a family member uses the bathroom... it cant be cheaper than normal tissue paper can it? not to mention the water is cheap too, straight from the tap.
I use them after toilet paper. As far as the males in my family, I doubt that they could care less if their butts were clean. So a lot aren't used.

rubiesand
08-05-2006, 12:03 AM
:wasalambo br Fishman,

If you can't get a lota, it's no problem. You could use a (thoroughly) cleaned out plastic milk bottle. You know, the two litre size. Does the job!
There's no doubt it is nice to clean using running water; when you are used to it, you would never like to go back to 'wipe & go'!

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 12:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rubiesand
:wasalambo br Fishman,

If you can't get a lota, it's no problem. You could use a (thoroughly) cleaned out plastic milk bottle. You know, the two litre size. Does the job!
There's no doubt it is nice to clean using running water; when you are used to it, you would never like to go back to 'wipe & go'!
I still don't get the whole jug concept. Do you use it sitting down, or do you stand up and do it?

rubiesand
08-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Sitting. If you stood up, you'd get mess all over the place.:X

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 12:16 AM
I still don't get the whole jug concept. Do you use it sitting down, or do you stand up and do it?
no man, sitting down..

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 12:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
no man, sitting down..

How does it reach the underside?

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 12:19 AM
guys is there some link which explains it in detail 4searchingsoul? perhaps some stickfigure sketch to make it clear lol.
salamz

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 12:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
guys is there some link which explains it in detail 4searchingsoul? perhaps some stickfigure sketch to make it clear lol.
salamz
Yes, that would be perfect.

I can see how it would clean if the toilet shot up a forceful gush of water, but my toilet doesn't do that. The trickle down theory doesn't seem plausible to me. Maybe I should just get off my tush now and go try it.

rubiesand
08-05-2006, 12:30 AM
It's a wonder of engineering for sure, but I doubt there'll be an illustrated guide out there :giggling:

Malaikah
08-05-2006, 12:50 AM

heres an idea, try it yourself. ;)

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 12:54 AM

heres an idea, try it yourself. ;)
Great news! I tried it myself! I found it messy. I think I'd have better luck using the detachable shower head. But this will be inconvenient to say the least. I'll stick to baby wipes. Aren't you glad you know?:D

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 12:55 AM
^^ lol some sis PM her with details please.

if it turned out messy it meant you didn't do it right lol.
salamz

afriend
08-05-2006, 01:03 AM
;D This topic makes me crack up....some of the replies should be published in a jokes book :p....

Try this, get one of those watering pails, those sall sized ones, seeing as though it has a spout with a small opening, the targetting becomes more precise :p...

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 01:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
;D This topic makes me crack up....some of the replies should be published in a jokes book :p....

Try this, get one of those watering pails, those sall sized ones, seeing as though it has a spout with a small opening, the targetting becomes more precise :p...
Oh, that's a lovely idea. I think a turkey baster would work well. It holds a lot of water and would allow for a precise aim.

afriend
08-05-2006, 01:06 AM
LOOL......I'm such a fool.....Now everyone is gonna use the word 'aim'....which is also quite laughable :p

Malaikah
08-05-2006, 01:19 AM

lol this thread is hilarious... searchingsoul, did u use a bucket or something? :?

that picture that someone posted that looks like teapots seems like a good idea if you want to get your 'aim' right.

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 01:20 AM

lol this thread is hilarious... searchingsoul, did u use a bucket or something? :?

that picture that someone posted that looks like teapots seems like a good idea if you want to get your 'aim' right.
I used a 2 quart milk jug.

afriend
08-05-2006, 01:22 AM
you need something with a gun barrel at the tip ;D

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 01:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
you need something with a gun barrel at the tip ;D
Yes, my sons B.B. Gun would work nicely.

- Qatada -
08-05-2006, 05:20 PM
:salamext:

If you go arabia, you'll see that alot of toilets have some sort of small shower head thing next to them. So they work really well, and you don't run out of water either. You just press the button and water comes out.

That's more reliable insha'Allaah.

:wasalamex

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
08-06-2006, 11:43 AM
There are those other kind of toilets in Pakistan and in some masjids, I forgot the name for them, may istinja can be performed more swiftly and mess free on that.

Kittygyal
08-06-2006, 11:50 AM
lolz ;D using baby wipes hehe, anyway and yes they are very cheap in USA than UK indeed.

Kittygyal
08-06-2006, 11:52 AM
I used a 2 quart milk jug.

oh my words in USA them jugs with a pointed bit at top you used them?? ;D :X

syilla
03-25-2007, 02:52 AM
Istinja’ (Cleansing the Private Parts after answering the Call of Nature)

4.1 It is compulsory that one ensures that the drops of urine have ceased, and that one’s heart is content according to one’s general habit, either by walking, coughing, lying down or any other method. [Z: Other methods, which may be used, are to gently press one’s penis or place a tissue under one’s lower garment and take a brisk walk, methods may vary in accordance with the severity of one’s problem].

4.2 It is unlawful to perform wudu’ until one is content that the drops of urine have ceased. [Z: If Satan is continually creating doubts about the leakage of urine, then these doubts should be ignored.
One should sprinkle some water over the genitals and the lower garment. Thereafter, when afflicted with doubt the wetness felt may be regarded as the sprinkled water. This is in the case of a doubt, but if one is sure that the wetness is urine then the required measures for purification will have to be undertaken, Mf+t: p.29].

4.3 It is sunna to perform istinja’ from any najasa that exits from the front or back passage of the private parts and has not spread past the orifice. However, it is wajib if the najasa has spread past the orifice and is equivalent to the size of a dirham. And fard if it has spread more than a dirham. [Z: A dirham is approximately the size of a British fifty pence coin].

4.4 To wash away whatever (najasa) is in the orifice whilst bathing to remove a state of major ritual impurity, menstruation and postnatal bleeding is fard. Even though the najasa may be of a small quantity.

4.5 It is sunna to do istinja’ with a cleansing stone or the like [Z: all things pure and not valued or venerated can be used in place of a stone, Mf+t: p.30]. To perform istinja’ with water is preferred. The best is to combine both water and stone, first by wiping with the stone and then washing. To use only water or to wipe with stones alone is also permissible.

[Z: Paper being a source of attaining knowledge is a venerated item, thus to perform istinja’ with it is makruh tanzih. Whilst the usage of toilet paper which is specifically made for the purpose of istinja’ and not for writing is permitted, Ahf: 1/108].

4.6 The usage of a prescribed number of stones is mustahab and not sunna mu`akkada.

To use three stones is mustahab, even though one may achieve cleanliness with less.

4.7 Method of performing istinja’: if one’s testicles are hanging one should wipe with the first stone from the front to the back and with the second from the back to the front and with the third from the front to the back [for fear of defiling one’s testicles, Mf: p.89]. If the testicles are not hanging, then one should start from the back. A female should start from the front to the back for the fear of defiling her vagina.

4.8 Thereafter, one should wash the hand and using water wipe the soiled area with the inner side of one, two, or even three fingers if needed. A male will raise his middle finger over the rest when commencing the istinja’ [then after washing slightly, Mf: p.90] he will raise the ring finger [Z: and if need be then the small finger and then the index finger, Mf: p.90]. One should not suffice upon the use of one finger. A female should raise her ring and middle finger simultaneously from the outset for
fear of being sexually aroused.

4.9 The utmost should be done in cleansing oneself until the foul smell has been eliminated, whilst thoroughly relaxing one’s buttocks [Z: so as to clean what is in the passage to the best of one’s ability, Mf: p.91], unless fasting. Upon completion one should wash the hand again. If fasting one should wipe oneself before standing.

4.10 It is unlawful to uncover one’s `awra (the private parts that need to be covered) for istinja’ in the presence of others. [Z: If one does, he will be regarded a fasiq. The uncovering of one’s `awra in the presence of others is haram (def: 1.5) and the perpetrator of a haram act is regarded as a fasiq, regardless of whether the najasa has spread past the orifice or has exceeded the size of a dirham, Mf+t: p.32].

If the najasa has spread past the orifice and covered an area more than that of a dirham, then with the availability of any substance that will remove the najasa, ritual prayer is unlawful.

One should try to remove the najasa without exposing one’s `awra in the presence of others.

It is makruh (def: 1.6) to perform istinja’ with:

(1) a bone [because it is the food of the jinns, Mf: p.93];

(2) the food of a man or animal [Z: as this would be disrespectful to sustenance, Mf: p.93];

(3) baked bricks, pottery, charcoal;

(4) glass, gypsum [Z: because of the physical harm that it may cause, Mf: p.93];

(5) items of value, such as a piece of velvet or cotton;

(6) and the usage of the right hand without an excuse. [Z: The scholars are unanimous that it is mustahab to start with the right in all those things of reverence, such as wudu’, bathing, wearing clothes, shoes, socks, trousers, when entering the mosque, when performing miswak, applying antimony, trimming the nails, plucking the hair from the armpits, when shaving the head, performing the salam at the termination of the prayer, when departing from the lavatory, whilst drinking, performing istilam (kissing) of the hajr al-aswad (the black stone), when taking, giving and other
similar tasks. It is mustahab to start from the left when performing those actions which are to the contrary, i.e. not revered, such as blowing the nose, performing istinja’, when entering the lavatory or departing from the mosque, removing the khufayn, shoes, trousers or other garments, al-Binaya, 1/188].

Everybody
05-24-2012, 07:22 PM

This is what you need

glo
05-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Gosh, this is an old thread. I wonder what happened to Fishman and Kittygyal? Does anybody know?

CosmicPathos
05-24-2012, 07:35 PM
I am sure Fishman would have perfected his aim by now. Right into the bullseye. And his daddy is probably very proud of the son and complains no more. :d

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.