/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Board Software

Z
06-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

Would you be in favour or against the board switching software?

Which would you prefer. I don't know why, but I have read about IPB being a better software to run forums and something better about the database structure. I'm not a geek in this, so mind anything incorrect.

Cast your votes, and state why if you want to.

(By the way, I was just bored when I created this.)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
06-01-2005, 02:49 PM
:sl:

I believe you mean 'invision' power board not invasion lol. I must say that vbulletin is the most handsome one by far :shade:. Invision doesn't have a WYSIWYG editor so that would make it harder for me because I'm used to it. :( Ah, well, the one for the many . . . . .

I have used both IPB and vbulletin and as a member have found vbulletin better. I don't know which is easier to manage though. :brother:

:w:

BlissfullyJaded
06-01-2005, 08:41 PM

Ermm...if you change software, will it be possible to move the posts over to the new forum? *unsure* Dunno if that is possbile.

Personally, it doesn't bother me what software is being used.. :)

A7med
06-01-2005, 08:47 PM
vBulletin
i it dont matter to me

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Far7an
06-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Using vBulletin right now and I have no problems with it alhamdulillah, dont see why we should change.

Danish
06-01-2005, 09:27 PM
i must confess, i prefer IPB...thats what i use for my fourm anyway

Ermm...if you change software, will it be possible to move the posts over to the new forum? *unsure* Dunno if that is possbile.
i was gonna suggest diff software too..but there be transering post prob...they can do it via phpMyAdmin, but that would be as fun and as error-prone as poking urself in the eye for no reason...

other choice would be to use a soft which CLAIMs to transfer posts from one soft to other

Ataraxis
06-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Vbulletin..for reasons already stated above :)

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-13-2005, 12:25 AM

Same here. :)

Roswell
06-13-2005, 02:40 AM
Salaam All,

If you don't have the money and your community is not that serious use phpbb. If you have the money and want to give your community the best software use Vbulletin. It blows phpBB away. You get what you pay for with Vbulletin. IPB closes to phpBB. phpBB has the dangerous scripting problem however vbulletin is realible and stable, plus there is no forum so much you can customize. Check this site out, it's all in vBulletin.
My vote goes to vBulletin.

Regards,

A7med
12-18-2005, 09:40 PM

maybe one of the mods or admins cud help..........i was wondering which forum type is better phpBB or vBulletin?? I need some advice

:w:

Far7an
12-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Threads merged, the comments in this thread will help you out bro.

akulion
12-19-2005, 02:05 AM
salam alaikum
i read the post so i thought i would give some insight into the matter since I have done a lot of research

First of all - switching from vB to another system will be tiring for the administrators since it will involve converting the database to another format, this is usually done automatically by scripts written by the board sites like IPB, SMF, vB or others.

Current 'top board systems' are:

vBulliten Homepage: http://vbulliten.com

Pros: Good coding causing less queries to be generated thus less load on the server, plus its coding is probably the most compatible with other systems.

Cons: vB Charges $160 for its software plus $30 annually for license upgrades, wheras other board systems nearly as good as this one are completely free.

Simple Machines Forums (SMF) Homepage: http://simplemachines.org

Pros: Completely free, very fast and customizable plus very high level of security.

Cons: None known of so far

Invision (IPB) Homepage: http://www.invisionboard.com/

Pros: Fast and reliable coding

Cons: Costs money to buy not free - not very user friendly

phpBB Homepage: http://www.phpbb.com/

Pros: Completely free and probably the most powerful with regards to mods and addons available

Cons: Not very fast and coding is a little tiring for servers

-------------------------

Apart from these there are other boards available as well which I dont know too much about:
myBB (clone of vB - completely free)

The pros and cons expressed in this post are based on my personal inference of the boards and my knowledge on them through reading different articles.

My Opinion: Islamic Board should stay with vB if they feel the cost is justified otherwise if they want to save money they should switch over to SMF which is excellent and free.

Board I use on my site: SMF

kadafi
12-20-2005, 01:39 PM
:sl: brother akulion

The board's first software was SMF! It was during the beta stages so we decided that Vbulletin was more reliable.

Bittersteel
12-20-2005, 02:51 PM
vBulletin.

afriend
12-31-2005, 12:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Asalamu Alaikum

Would you be in favour or against the board switching software?

Which would you prefer. I don't know why, but I have read about IPB being a better software to run forums and something better about the database structure. I'm not a geek in this, so mind anything incorrect.

Cast your votes, and state why if you want to.

(By the way, I was just bored when I created this.)
well I don't like change once I've gotten used to something...But If we do change the software then we need the best 1 around...Dont we?:peace:

sapphire
12-31-2005, 12:45 PM
VBulletin is fine...it doesnt bother me what it is really.....so why not leave it as it is.........

afriend
01-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Other meaning can't we just leave things as they are?

But then again it's up 2 u mods and Admins....Do what's best 4 da forums.

Inshallah u will make the right choice!

LOL!!!

:coolious:

sapphire
01-01-2006, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zAk
huh ?
who sed we are changing ? :-\

we are not :-\

this thread is just to get views of the members abt the various Bulletin softwares.
I knewwwwwwwwwww you would say that before i even checked the thread.....and i meant anytime they plan to change etc!!!!!!!no one said it was being change well i never anyway!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.