/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do Muslims Want the whole world to be Muslim?

AvarAllahNoor
08-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Is this what you hope to achieve? And why may i ask?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rabi'ya
08-04-2006, 01:47 PM
:sl:

MY PERSONAL OPINION

I dont think its possible for the whole world to become Muslim - thats Allahs will. However, as Muslims and believing that Islam is the path of truth we would want people to accept Islam as their way of life for their own benefit.

If you believe so strongly in something, that its the right thing and there is no other way, then yes, you do try to put your views across to the other party as best as possible.

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

AvarAllahNoor
08-04-2006, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya

MY PERSONAL OPINION

I dont think its possible for the whole world to become Muslim - thats Allahs will. However, as Muslims and believing that Islam is the path of truth we would want people to accept Islam as their way of life for their own benefit.

If you believe so strongly in something, that its the right thing and there is no other way, then yes, you do try to put your views across to the other party as best as possible.

Ok, i can uderstand that. But is it wrong to allow others to follow the path that's also been laid out by God for the non-muslims? Even though i know it states in the Kuran Islam is the only religion, is that correct? Can you provide links of this please? :)

Mawaddah
08-04-2006, 01:51 PM
No The whole world today cant' possibly be Muslim, But having the world under Muslim rule would be wonderful.
Which will, of course, happen one day :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aakhirah
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Simply 'Muslim' is not good enough (although it's better than not being one of course); we want every human being (and Jinn) in the world to be practising Muslims. Obviously, that means we need to get out act together too!

Then the world would be a very peaceful place to live in (Insha-Allah)...

A.

IbnAbdulHakim

if the whole world was ruled under the islamic ruling then there is no chance for crime to prevail and if every muslim is a genuine and sincere believer then without a doubt this world would be in perfect peace and harmony so i would definitly say

YES !!!!!

Hijaabi22
08-04-2006, 01:53 PM
lol - I'm sure it would but the Lord has created other paths too :)
Yea thats true but as muslims we believ that Islam is the true religion :) But then again thats what followers of all major world religions believe :)...but I agree with what sis Rabiya sed she put it nicely

Mawaddah
08-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Ok, i can uderstand that. But is it wrong to allow others to follow the path that's also been laid out by God for the non-muslims? Even though i know it states in the Kuran Islam is the only religion, is that correct? Can you provide links of this please? :)
In the Qur'an it states that Islam is the only accepted religion in the sight of Allah. Of course there are numerous other religions, but in Allahs sight they are not accepted to be true.

Other paths laid out by God for the non Muslims? God did not lay out those paths for them, the Shaytaan led them astray from the true path which God laid out for mankind :)

And no, Muslims are not here to force anyone to accept Islam.....and yes we do allow anyone to follow their own beleifs which they have been led to beleive is true, Because in Islam there is no compulsion.

Rabi'ya
08-04-2006, 01:54 PM
I dont quite understand what you mean, and to be honest the only reason i gave my opinion is coz i havent got the evidence to back it up. Im sure either Khaldun, bro Fi or another knowledgable person will be able to answer that more easily.

I dont believe that Allah has created "other routes", as you say, Islam is the only path.Ultimately I have my reservations about certain topics to which i have found no hard evidence but I dont think its relevant to discuss it here just yet.

I hope someone else can step in and answer you more fully.

IbnAbdulHakim
08-04-2006, 01:56 PM
lol - I'm sure it would but the Lord has created other paths too :)
its a test my friend :).

The satan decieves people and beautifies that which is evil in order to mislead them and take them away from the truth. Our task is to stick to the "SIMPLE" truth of One God and no partners besides him.

ILLALALAH!

The sheer simplicity of it is beautiful, logical. Everything fits. Dont you think? :)

Daffodil
08-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Yes of course muslims want the whole world to be muslim, if u had a beautiful precious thing wudnt u want every one to know about it n to share it, in islam we love for our brothers what we love for our selves, we want paradise n want every one to be saved from the fire of hell n into paradise. but thats not gonna happen, if it did that wud be like heaven on earth.

AvarAllahNoor
08-04-2006, 02:02 PM

I dont believe that Allah has created "other routes", as you say, Islam is the only path.Ultimately I have my reservations about certain topics to which i have found no hard evidence but I dont think its relevant to discuss it here just yet.
:
Guru Nanak was once asked the question by a Muslim, “which religion is better?”
Guru Nanak replied, your religion is good for you, my religion is good for me.
At the end of the day, there is only one God.
it doesn’t matter which religion you practice, but what matters is your dedication to God and living a honest and good life.

GURU NANAK puts emphasis in these Words:
He Is The ETERNAL GIVER and ‘There is no other.’

(There Is Only One GOD but There are many forms of worship)

‘There is no other’; this expression says than GURU NANAK is Alive, in this time and in the all the time. God ‘Is’ EK, THE ONE.

There Is Only One GOD; EK ON KAR.

AvarAllahNoor
08-04-2006, 02:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
Yes of course muslims want the whole world to be muslim, if u had a beautiful precious thing wudnt u want every one to know about it n to share it, in islam we love for our brothers what we love for our selves, we want paradise n want every one to be saved from the fire of hell n into paradise. but thats not gonna happen, if it did that wud be like heaven on earth.
But what if you've found that same beautuful thing in another relgion. Why would you want to leave and seek another?

IbnAbdulHakim
08-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Guru Nanak was once asked the question by a Muslim, “which religion is better?”
Guru Nanak replied, your religion is good for you, my religion is good for me.
At the end of the day, there is only one God.
it doesn’t matter which religion you practice, but what matters is your dedication to God and living a honest and good life.

‘There is no other’; this expression says than GURU NANAK is Alive, in this time and in the all the time. God ‘Is’ EK, THE ONE.

subhanAllah i respect you a lot bro but i gotta ask you, when did Guru Nanak come about? Was it After Islam :eek: ?

Rabi'ya
08-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Indeed, and my favourite quote from the Quraan (surah Kafirun) "to you be your religion and to me be mine"

You need to search for the truth and there is no compulsion but as soon as you find something which is possible you need to use your own sense and logic and pray to Allah that He shows you the way.

There is no way someone can be forced into believing as it needs to come directly from the heart.

In response to you last post, unless you search for the truth you wont find it, and you need ot ask Allah to open your heart to the truth and protect you from shaitaan.

I pray that you find the info your looking for brother :)

AvarAllahNoor
08-04-2006, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mazed
subhanAllah i respect you a lot bro but i gotta ask you, when did Guru Nanak come about? Was it After Islam :eek: ?
1469 AD to be precise, so yes after Mohammed (PBUH)

IbnAbdulHakim
08-04-2006, 02:09 PM
1469 AD to be precise, so yes after Mohammed (PBUH)
and he was aware of islam... believed in monotheism.. oneness of God... he had a nice beard... lol how comes he wasnt muslim :?

lavikor201
08-04-2006, 02:11 PM

This guy likes the idea of that.

Geronimo
08-04-2006, 02:13 PM
The question is not whether they want the whole world to be muslim the question is how far are they willing go to reach that goal

IbnAbdulHakim
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201

LOL !

its destiny my friend. Jesus (peace be upon him) will descend, kill anti-christ, peace will reign for 7 years in a completely islamic world, then the soul of every believer will be taken away wiv the gust of a wind and only the disbelievers will remain and the day of judgement will come upon them.

:peace: :)

IbnAbdulHakim
format_quote Originally Posted by Geronimo
The question is not whether they want the whole world to be muslim the question is how far are they willing go to reach that goal
persuasion my friend, we only fight when defending :(

AvarAllahNoor
Indeed, and my favourite quote from the Quraan (surah Kafirun) "to you be your religion and to me be mine"

You need to search for the truth and there is no compulsion but as soon as you find something which is possible you need to use your own sense and logic and pray to Allah that He shows you the way.

There is no way someone can be forced into believing as it needs to come directly from the heart.

In response to you last post, unless you search for the truth you wont find it, and you need ot ask Allah to open your heart to the truth and protect you from shaitaan.

I pray that you find the info your looking for brother :)

I know i've found it as as i pary to Allah as i wake u in the abrosial hours of the morning and sit and recite the Mool Mantar!

IK ONKAAR - There is only One God
SAT NAAM -Truth is His Name
KARTA PURKH -He is the Creator

NIRBHAU - He is without fear
NIRVAIR - He is without hate
AKAAL MOORAT -He is timeless and without form

AJOONI SABHANG - He is beyond birth and death,
GUR PARSAAD - The enlightened one He can be known by The Guru’s Grace

:)

AvarAllahNoor
08-04-2006, 02:15 PM
and he was aware of islam... believed in monotheism.. oneness of God... he had a nice beard... lol how comes he wasnt muslim :?
Lol well some claim he was a muslim, but then some claim he was hindu, but these statements are false as he only claimed to be a servant of of Allah

IbnAbdulHakim
08-04-2006, 02:16 PM
I know i've found it as as i pary to Allah as i wake u in the abrosial hours of the morning and sit and recite the Mool Mantar!

IK ONKAAR - There is only One God
SAT NAAM -Truth is His Name
KARTA PURKH -He is the Creator

NIRBHAU - He is without fear
NIRVAIR - He is without hate
AKAAL MOORAT -He is timeless and without form

AJOONI SABHANG - He is beyond birth and death,

:)
mashAllah, that sounds good :D

but chek this out

KUL HU ALLAHU AHAD - SAY, he IS the ONE and ONLY
ALLAHU SAMAD - Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;
LAMYA LID WA LAMYU LAD - He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;
WA LAMYA KULLAHU KUFFUAN AHAD - And there is none like unto Him.

:) :)

AvarAllahNoor
08-04-2006, 02:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201

LOL - Yeah, but we all get a few fanatics in all relgions, us Sikhs have a few too!

Hijaabi22
08-04-2006, 02:18 PM
LOL - Yeah, but we all get a few fanatics in all relgions, us Sikhs have a few too!
THANK YOU! U cannot brand all muslims fanatics terrorists call em WAREVA just by the actions of only a handful!

AvarAllahNoor
08-04-2006, 02:19 PM
mashAllah, that sounds good :D

but chek this out

KUL HU ALLAHU AHAD - SAY, he IS the ONE and ONLY
ALLAHU SAMAD - Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;
LAMYA LID WA LAMYU LAD - He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;
WA LAMYA KULLAHU KUFFUAN AHAD - And there is none like unto Him.

:) :)
Waheguru!

Well the praise is similar so we could assume the paths are both laid out by God! :)

AvarAllahNoor
08-04-2006, 02:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -----------
THANK YOU! U cannot brand all muslims fanatics terrorists call em WAREVA just by the actions of only a handful!
I don't tar all with the same brush. I associate with people from all paths and tolerance is the key to a beautiful relationship with all :)

IbnAbdulHakim
08-04-2006, 02:23 PM
^ im afraid in my belief thats not possible bro because he came after our Prophet Muhammad SAWS so its impossible for him to be given revelations by God. But its very possible for him to have been given dreams by Allah.

Who knows, Allah knows best :)

AvarAllahNoor
08-04-2006, 02:26 PM
^ im afraid in my belief thats not possible bro because he came after our Prophet Muhammad SAWS so its impossible for him to be given revelations by God. But its very possible for him to have been given dreams by Allah.

Who knows, Allah knows best :)
Well as you stand by your doctrine i stand by mine, your conclusion would be the best i think! Like you say Allah knows best :)

Hijaabi22
08-04-2006, 02:28 PM
^^I noticed you got teh word ''Alah'' (swt) in ya username, how cum?? jus curious

AvarAllahNoor
08-04-2006, 02:34 PM
^^I noticed you got teh word ''Alah'' (swt) in ya username, how cum?? jus curious
As stated in our holy srcriptures (Guru Granth Sahib)

Aval Allah noor upaiyaa, kudrat ke sab bande, Ek noor te sab jag upjiya, kaun bhale kaun mande"

First of all, God has developed the light, then human being and all are children of almighty. All the world has been developed from only one light, either some bad or some body is decent here.

Hijaabi22
08-04-2006, 02:36 PM
hmmmmmmmm intrestin..

AvarAllahNoor
08-04-2006, 02:38 PM
hmmmmmmmm intrestin..
It is isn't it :giggling:

scentsofjannah
08-04-2006, 02:42 PM

we believe we have a duty to invite people by our beautiful actions and words...if nonmuslims believe in our message and accept Islam wholeheatedly this pleases us as we believe this is the best way of life.

That doesnt mean we should convert people with force or through deception or go on a campaign to 'dominate' the whole world...this is forbidden.

sameer
08-04-2006, 03:01 PM

I dont know if i misunderstood u but this ayah dosent not mean that each man should follow his own religion.
basically its talks abvout how the Quraish wanted to make a deal with Muhammad asking himn to follow their religon for one year and they would follow islam for one year. Thus Allah revealed to him that even if they follow islam for one year and something else another year they would never really foloow islam. There is no bridge between belief and dis belief or no compromise between religions and Allah instructed in this Surah to say this to the Quraish.

HeiGou
08-04-2006, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
Correct me if I am wrong, but what you had for yourself was the freedom to choose to be a Muslim if you wanted to wasn't it?

Zulkiflim
08-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Salaam,

there is a verse in the quran..

A time when the Prophet grew sad when people did not beleive or become muslim even after seeing the sign,but Allah sent this reply in summary...

You are but man if Allah so wills the whole of mankind will be muslim but Allah does not,so why do you wish the whole of mankind to be muslim when Allah does not wish it?

And then the burden was lifted from Prophet Muhammad saw shoulders,for he finally understand that even tho he was a Prophet he was still a man...

So Inshallah people will choose their own religion.and that is their choice.

As allah said a messenger is sent to every race..

Woodrow
08-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Do Muslims Want the whole world to be Muslim?

The strange thing about that Question, any answer to it can be misunderstood. People often think of the word want in terms of taking or desire to take. As a Muslim I look at it in terms of giving something not forcing something upon another.

With that said: Yes, I do want the whole world to be Muslim. The reason why is because I desire peace and happiness for all people.

sonz
08-04-2006, 06:20 PM
10:99-100 "If it had been thy Lord's will, they would all have believed, all who are on earth! wilt thou then compel mankind, against their will, to believe! No soul can believe, except by the will of God, and He will place doubt (or obscurity) on those who will not understand."

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 12:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
No The whole world today cant' possibly be Muslim, But having the world under Muslim rule would be wonderful.
Which will, of course, happen one day :)
Yikes! That seems a bit extreme!

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 12:31 AM
^^ why?

let me pose a simple question... Muslims believe that disbelievers will go to hell right? So if Muslim's don't want everyone to become Muslim, that means they're selfish, stuckup and watn everyone else to go to hell except them...

and if they are loving and love the best for people, why wouldn't they want everyone to become Muslim to enter paradise with them :)

hence the purpose of prophets and messengers and messages.

salamz

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 12:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
^^ why?

let me pose a simple question... Muslims believe that disbelievers will go to hell right? So if Muslim's don't want everyone to become Muslim, that means they're selfish, stuckup and watn everyone else to go to hell except them...

and if they are loving and love the best for people, why wouldn't they want everyone to become Muslim to enter paradise with them :)

salamz
I understand why you would want everyone to be a muslim, for the unselfish reasons you mentioned above.

I don't understand why a muslim would want the whole world to be under muslim rule. I would never want the whole world to be under christian rule. Being that humans err and sometimes in grotesque ways, it would never be advantageous for one religion to have complete control. This would lead to discrimination and atrocities.

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 12:44 AM
i too can understand why you and i won't want the world to be under christian rule... history speaks for itself..

But it wasn't anywhere near as bad when the lands where under Islamic rule, the jews had their golden age under Muslim rule and there was alot of technological adn scientific developments.. while medieval europe was reeling from its darkage...

yes there was ALOT of corruption towards the end, but guess what, as soon as corruption began, that was the beginning of Muslims end :) that's something that Allah promised to always happen as soon as we become unjust.. we lose the reigns of power.

but i know what you think "living under Muslim rule = forced becoming Muslim"... but that's not true.. you're living in USA right.. you're living under their rule.. you have to abide byt he laws, but it doesnt mean you have to become a zionist christian for example.. similar in Islamic state.. you live under their rule (no promiscuity, no porn TV, no alchohol trade.. but you are perfectly free to visit your church, do whatever you want in your christian ways)

tc all the best!

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 12:48 AM
i too can understand why you and i won't want the world to be under christian rule... history speaks for itself..

But it wasn't anywhere near as bad when the lands where under Islamic rule, the jews had their golden age under Muslim rule and there was alot of technological adn scientific developments.. while medieval europe was reeling from its darkage...

yes there was ALOT of corruption towards the end, but guess what, as soon as corruption began, that was the beginning of Muslims end :) that's something that Allah promised to always happen as soon as we become unjust.. we lose the reigns of power.

but i know what you think "living under Muslim rule = forced becoming Muslim"... but that's not true.. you're living in USA right.. you're living under their rule.. you have to abide byt he laws, but it doesnt mean you have to become a zionist christian for example.. similar in Islamic state.. you live under their rule (no promiscuity, no porn TV, no alchohol trade.. but you are perfectly free to visit your church, do whatever you want in your christian ways)

tc all the best!
I actually know that living under Muslim rule doesn't equal being a muslim. I still wouldn't want ANY religion to rule.

Christian rule had (has) it's bad times, so did (does) Muslim rule. I think they both are equally evil and beautiful.

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 12:52 AM
^^ i actually disagree..

based on that we wouldn't want anything to rule.. because today's rule has some seriously evil sides to it, humanity has never seen so much killing in the past few years compared to the entire history...

I would argue that as soon as Christianity ruled over another faith, there was never any freedom granted to them, as opposed to when Muslims ruled over Christians, they had full right to worship in their churches and even drink their alchohol when they proved that it was part of their ceremonies.

When the christians ruled in europe, they where arguing over the obvious, they couldn't even agree whether a woman was a Human or not.. when teh renaissance spread.. for soem odd reason taht struck fear in the priests hearts... Muslim scholars greated sciecne and math with delight, and they even used the Quran as a basis for their scientific explorations...

e.g. algebra was invented to simplify inheritence calculation, astronomy was being developed to help people find qiblah during the night, etc...

Lamaggad
08-05-2006, 12:52 AM
Here is what the Qur'an say since your asking from an Islamic perspective
To you be your religion, and to me my religion (Islâmic Monotheism)

Qur'an 109:6
لَكُمْ دِينكُمْ وَلِيَ دِين
سورة الكافرون (6 آية)

but that still does not mean not to spread the word of God and guide non Muslims to that path... if they have accepted Islam with an honest heart then that's great, if not.. then that is fine as well.

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 12:56 AM
^^ i actually disagree..

based on that we wouldn't want anything to rule.. because today's rule has some seriously evil sides to it, humanity has never seen so much killing in the past few years compared to the entire history...

I would argue that as soon as Christianity ruled over another faith, there was never any freedom granted to them, as opposed to when Muslims ruled over Christians, they had full right to worship in their churches and even drink their alchohol when they proved that it was part of their ceremonies.

When the christians ruled in europe, they where arguing over the obvious, they couldn't even agree whether a woman was a Human or not.. when teh renaissance spread.. for soem odd reason taht struck fear in the priests hearts... Muslim scholars greated sciecne and math with delight, and they even used the Quran as a basis for their scientific explorations...

e.g. algebra was invented to simplify inheritence calculation, astronomy was being developed to help people find qiblah during the night, etc...
I'm not denying that there was some glory during the Muslim rule. I also do not accept that there were not any forced conversions. Sorry if that offends you but my research has lead me to believe differently.

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 12:59 AM
^^ oh definately no one denying that.. ill give you example, prisoners can be executed or freed right.. some prisoners obviously make the choice to become Muslim so they can escape the capital punishment...

I don't see that as being forced, but from your perspective you probably would.. but regardless hence the hadith "some people are dragged to paradisei n chains".

and let's say there where ACTUAL forced conversions... that would be the beginning of the fall of the empire.

apart from that.. all what i mentioned justifies why Islam ruling is a very good idea.

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 01:00 AM
^^ oh definately no one denying that.. ill give you example, prisoners can be executed or freed right.. some prisoners obviously make the choice to become Muslim so they can escape the capital punishment...

I don't see that as being forced, but from your perspective you probably would.. but regardless hence the hadith "some people are dragged to paradisei n chains".

apart from that.. all what i mentioned justifies why Islam ruling is a very good idea.
We can agree to disagree about the history.

I respect your desire to have a muslim ruled world but I would fight like mad woman to prevent it. But if it's any consolation, I'd fight like a mad woman to prevent a christian ruled world.

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 01:01 AM
lol it's like a lil one fightling like mad to prevent an immunisation needle ;)

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 01:04 AM
lol it's like a lil one fightling like mad to prevent an immunisation needle ;)
Exactly, the kid has to be held down against its will. The same would happen to the religions that didn't belong to the religion of the ruling power.

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 01:07 AM
the kid is only held for a short while.. and then the benefits start flowing and he lives happily ever after :)

I think no two Muslims will differ that Umar's and Umar Ibn Abdul-Aziz where the periods which where the most ideal... (there where many others too), i think if you readup on these guys, alot of your fears will be quenched.

Infact, i'll argue something greater, Islam is the only religion which was a legal system that allowed other legal systems to flourish under it, the Christians could apply their law between themselves if they didn't want to take their matter to an Islamic court, and the jews could apply their laws amongst themselves if they too where not happy to ask Islam to be the judge.

I don't see any legal system today which allows other legal systems (e.g. Islamic law) to be practiced in full.

salamz :)

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 01:10 AM
the kid is only held for a short while.. and then the benefits start flowing and he lives happily ever after :)

I think no two Muslims will differ that Umar's and Umar Ibn Abdul-Aziz where the periods which where the most ideal... (there where many others too), i think if you readup on these guys, alot of your fears will be quenched.

Infact, i'll argue something greater, Islam is the only religion which was a legal system that allowed other legal systems to flourish under it, the Christians could apply their law between themselves if they didn't want to take their matter to an Islamic court, and the jews could apply their laws amongst themselves if they too where not happy to ask Islam to be the judge.

I don't see any legal system today which allows other legal systems (e.g. Islamic law) to be practiced in full.

I don't want my legal system controlled by a religion. I like to keep them separate.

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 01:17 AM
well under Islam they are seperate lol... i don't knwo of any restrictions the christians had imposed on them under the Islamic government, besides them having to keep their practices and stuff localized withint heir cities etc.

salamz

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 01:21 AM
well under Islam they are seperate lol... i don't knwo of any restrictions the christians had imposed on them under the Islamic government, besides them having to keep their practices and stuff localized withint heir cities etc.

salamz
taxations

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 01:23 AM
they're for your own protection, infact when the Muslims felt they where going to lose a city in Sham (around syria) they payed back the taxes they collected from the inhabitants (who where non Muslim) because they couldn't guarentee they'd defend them from the romans up in antiok..

and guess what, the taxes there aren't applicable to you, it's only for males who are above age of puberty and who aren't extremely old and frail;)

salamz

Malaikah
08-05-2006, 01:28 AM

why would you want to keep religion and the legal system seperate? When the legal system is based on religion that means it will be based on Gods laws, making it the perfect system... would you rather have some man-made set of laws or the law that God himself gave us?

Man made laws are faulty, Gods law is perfect and full of wisdom and justice.

taxations
my dad has to pay half his pay check as tax!! and we live is a country that follows democracy... based on shariah he only has to pay 2.5%!! 50% tax or 2.5%? i know which one i prefer....

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 01:31 AM
they're for your own protection, infact when the Muslims felt they where going to lose a city in Sham (around syria) they payed back the taxes they collected from the inhabitants (who where non Muslim) because they couldn't guarentee they'd defend them from the romans up in antiok..

and guess what, the taxes there aren't applicable to you, it's only for males who are above age of puberty and who aren't extremely old and frail;)

salamz
Some sources list excessive taxes. Then again, when discussing the Islamic and Christian conversions in history it's next to impossible to find unbiased sources. So, I read both biased sources and form an opinion based upon my logic and void of my religious convictions.

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 01:34 AM
well i'll guarentee you something, that's false, atleast as far as Islamic law is concerned.

If you look at any single of the khalifs who applied Islamic law in full, none of that happened.. the funny thing is.. opression always happens with the rulers who drank alchohol and danced to music and lived in super palaces at the cost of their people..

One thing though.. you might consider our history bias, but atleast our history is thoroughly documented and authenticated via very strict methods.. if that wasn't the case, there's many stories which make the Muslims seem to be angels, but they where rejected by Muslim scholars on grounds of inauthenticity...

Christian historians... i wonder if they have any way to verify the ifnormation they disseminate and attribtue to Islam and Muslims..

salamz

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 01:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

why would you want to keep religion and the legal system seperate? When the legal system is based on religion that means it will be based on Gods laws, making it the perfect system... would you rather have some man-made set of laws or the law that God himself gave us?

Religions don't agree upon Gods laws. I think that there's one God and many ways to him. I want all those who worship differently to be afforded the same rights.

my dad has to pay half his pay check as tax!! and we live is a country that follows democracy... based on shariah he only has to pay 2.5%!! 50% tax or 2.5%? i know which one i prefer....
I'm referring to non-muslims being taxed in excess of muslims. Big difference.
:) :) :)

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 01:41 AM
well i'll guarentee you something, that's false, atleast as far as Islamic law is concerned.

Hey, Islamic law maybe perfect. I'm not denying that! Humans who enforce laws are less than perfect. It's a trait of being human.

One thing though.. you might consider our history bias, but atleast our history is thoroughly documented and authenticated via very strict methods.. if that wasn't the case, there's many stories which make the Muslims seem to be angels, but they where rejected by Muslim scholars on grounds of inauthenticity...

As long as it is only agreed upon by muslims, I consider it biased. It may in fact be 100% true but logic tells me that it can't be.

Christian historians... i wonder if they have any way to verify the ifnormation they disseminate and attribtue to Islam and Muslims..

I would imagine it to be as accurate as Muslim accounts of the Islamic and Christian crusades. It's strange how the two accounts differ.
thanks

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 01:43 AM
Religions don't agree upon Gods laws. I think that there's one God and many ways to him. I want all those who worship differently to be afforded the same rights.
There's one thing about Islam though, it's open for debates... I think if anyone takes a serious look at Islam and what it has to offer, and it's stance towards other religions, and just takes a look at the miracles the Quran and the prophet comes with... and looks at the fruits of its application in practice.. it's not hard to see which religion stands out from amongst all.

There's only one way to god, during the time of Jesus, it was the Islam that Jesus came with (today labelled as Christianity), and durign the time of Moses, it was the Islam that he came with (today labelled as judaism), and when Muhammad came, his way is the way to god till the end of time.

As far as taxation is concerned, i'm very sure that in Umars time Muslims had to pay more tax than did non Muslims, i was hearing a tape which was saying that really.. people who converted to Islam where financially worse off because they'd have to pay more taxes than someone paying the 'dhimmi tax'.

corrupt rulers may have charged exess tax (i'd like to see the proof tho), but the question is.. where they ruling by Shariah or their whims?

And i can definately bet that the "excess" tax was no where near the 50% tax that people have to cough up today.

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 01:51 AM
There's one thing about Islam though, it's open for debates... I think if anyone takes a serious look at Islam and what it has to offer, and it's stance towards other religions, and just takes a look at the miracles the Quran and the prophet comes with... and looks at the fruits of its application in practice.. it's not hard to see which religion stands out from amongst all.

There's only one way to god, during the time of Jesus, it was the Islam that Jesus came with (today labelled as Christianity), and durign the time of Moses, it was the Islam that he came with (today labelled as judaism), and when Muhammad came, his way is the way to god till the end of time.

As far as taxation is concerned, i'm very sure that in Umars time Muslims had to pay more tax than did non Muslims, i was hearing a tape which was saying that really.. people who converted to Islam where financially worse off because they'd have to pay more taxes than someone paying the 'dhimmi tax'.

corrupt rulers may have charged exess tax (i'd like to see the proof tho), but the question is.. where they ruling by Shariah or their whims?

And i can definately bet that the "excess" tax was no where near the 50% tax that people have to cough up today.
A dhimmi (also zimmi, Arabic: ذمي‎, plural: اهل الذمۃ, ahl al-dhimma) was a "free" (i.e. non-slave), non-Muslim subject of a state governed in accordance with sharia — Islamic law. A dhimmi is a person of the dhimma, a term which refers in Islamic law to a pact contracted between non-Muslims and authorities from their Muslim government. This status was originally only made available to non-Muslims who were People of the Book (i.e. Jews and Christians), but was later extended to include Zoroastrians, Mandeans, and, in some areas, Hindus.[1] The status of dhimmi applied to millions of people living from the Atlantic Ocean to India from the 7th century until modern times.[2] Over time, many dhimmis converted to Islam. Most conversions were voluntary and happened for a number of different reasons but forced conversion played a role in some later periods of Islamic history, mostly in the 12th century under the Almohad dynasty of North Africa and al-Andalus as well as in Persia where Shi'a Islam is dominant.[3]

Dhimmis were allowed to "practice their religion, subject to certain conditions, and to enjoy a measure of communal autonomy" and guaranteed their personal safety and security of property, in return for paying tribute to Muslims and accepting Muslim supremacy.[4] Taxation from the perspective of Dhimmis who came under the Muslim rule, Cahen states, was "a concrete continuation of the taxes paid to earlier regimes" and from the point of view of the Muslim conqueror was a material proof of Dhimmi's subjection. [5] Various restrictions and legal disabilities placed on Dhimmis, such as prohibitions against bearing arms or giving testimony in courts in cases involving Muslims.[6] Most of these disabilities had a social and symbolic rather than a tangible and practical character. [7] Disarmed and unable to defend themselves in courts, dhimmis were vulnerable to the whims of rulers and the violence of mobs,[8] although persecution in the form of violent and active repression was rare and atypical.[9] While recognizing the inferior status of dhimmis under Islamic rule, Bernard Lewis holds that in most respects their position was "was very much easier than that of non-Christians or even of heretical Christians in medieval Europe."[10]

Also note the other restrictions placed on non-muslims. You may ague the validity of Wikipedia. If so, can you show me another definition of the dhimmi that you feel is unbiased?

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 01:51 AM
Hey, Islamic law maybe perfect. I'm not denying that! Humans who enforce laws are less than perfect. It's a trait of being human.
That's cool, hence why many of our scholars put their lives at risk to make sure the rulers would be as close as possible to perfect.. Imam malik got tortured for speaking out against the opression of the ruler of his time.. (but at the end, he won out and a just ruler was appointed), Imam Ahmad went through alot also with his ruler.. Shafi'3ee had soem serious advises for his ruler as well.. and Abu Hanifah was well known for keeping his ruler on guard.

Really if you look at it objectively, if you look at the criterion for a ruler, there's no doubt that Islamic Law will be applied perfectly... just look at history, when the criterion's wheren't met.. you had all sorts of mess created, when they wehre fulfilled, the empire sparkled. (Abu Bakr, Umar are the classic examples).

As long as it is only agreed upon by muslims, I consider it biased. It may in fact be 100% true but logic tells me that it can't be.
lol some non-Muslim historians do seem to agree actually.. there's a documentary called 'Planet Islam', sensational stuff.. non Muslim historians giving their persepctive as well as Muslims.

secondly... i think if non Muslims where objective, they should hav a bit of a read into Muslims methods of authentication and then make up their mind. Judging by intuition is definately not an objective way to go about things.

I would imagine it to be as accurate as Muslim accounts of the Islamic and Christian crusades. It's strange how the two accounts differ.
It's easy, let the Muslim bring their sources and stories, and let them bring theirs and get each to give an accoutn of the chains of narration and describe hwo they authenticated their stories...

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 01:59 AM
[S]Really if you look at it objectively, if you look at the criterion for a ruler, there's no doubt that Islamic Law will be applied perfectly[/S]

Is it today in Muslim countries?

[S] Judging by intuition is definately not an objective way to go about things.[/S]

I'm judging by logic, which is different than intuition. I give credit to all sources, and question all sources.

I see your method of believing that muslim history is infalliable being lead by blind faith. No disrespect intended.

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 02:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
A dhimmi (also zimmi, Arabic: ذمي‎, plural: اهل الذمۃ, ahl al-dhimma) was a "free" (i.e. non-slave), non-Muslim subject of a state governed in accordance with sharia — Islamic law. A dhimmi is a person of the dhimma, a term which refers in Islamic law to a pact contracted between non-Muslims and authorities from their Muslim government. This status was originally only made available to non-Muslims who were People of the Book (i.e. Jews and Christians), but was later extended to include Zoroastrians, Mandeans, and, in some areas, Hindus.[1] The status of dhimmi applied to millions of people living from the Atlantic Ocean to India from the 7th century until modern times.[2] Over time, many dhimmis converted to Islam. Most conversions were voluntary and happened for a number of different reasons but forced conversion played a role in some later periods of Islamic history, mostly in the 12th century under the Almohad dynasty of North Africa and al-Andalus as well as in Persia where Shi'a Islam is dominant.[3]

Dhimmis were allowed to "practice their religion, subject to certain conditions, and to enjoy a measure of communal autonomy" and guaranteed their personal safety and security of property, in return for paying tribute to Muslims and accepting Muslim supremacy.[4] Taxation from the perspective of Dhimmis who came under the Muslim rule, Cahen states, was "a concrete continuation of the taxes paid to earlier regimes" and from the point of view of the Muslim conqueror was a material proof of Dhimmi's subjection. [5] Various restrictions and legal disabilities placed on Dhimmis, such as prohibitions against bearing arms or giving testimony in courts in cases involving Muslims.[6] Most of these disabilities had a social and symbolic rather than a tangible and practical character. [7] Disarmed and unable to defend themselves in courts, dhimmis were vulnerable to the whims of rulers and the violence of mobs,[8] although persecution in the form of violent and active repression was rare and atypical.[9] While recognizing the inferior status of dhimmis under Islamic rule, Bernard Lewis holds that in most respects their position was "was very much easier than that of non-Christians or even of heretical Christians in medieval Europe."[10]

Also note the other restrictions placed on non-muslims. You may ague the validity of Wikipedia. If so, can you show me another definition of the dhimmi that you feel is unbiased?
Actually that report seems to be not THAT bad. Atleast they admit that forced conversions kicked in towards teh 12th century in the later periods of Islamic history, which is exactly what i tried to make a point of.

I don't know about the Islamic ruling as far as dhimmi's carryign arms, but i think it makes sense they wouldn't be.. becaue it's the responsibility of the Muslim's to provide the security services to them. Hence why the dhimmi's where refunded when the Muslim's had a feeling they might lose the city or it may be in danger from teh side of the Romans..

I don't try to hide that there was ALOT of corruption towards the end, and it naturally lead to the demise of Muslims all over the place, that's why i'm trying to argue that it's not to be used as a point of reference..

And thank god that there where perfect examples, so it's not like i'm talkign airy fairy theory...

oh actually look at this, perfect hadith that describes it
"There will be a khilafah on the path of prophecy, and following it will be a dynasty which clutches onto power strongly, following it will be a period of tyranny and treachery, and following it will be another Khilafah on the path of prophecy"

That hadith makes it clear that we shouldnt' be using the middle 2 periods as examples of Shareeah.

otherwise I would be on your side, because Saudi claism to apply Shareeah... and i definately wouldn't want them ruling over the world :offended: :offended: :offended: every human would visit a torture chamber atleast twice in their lives on average lol by the end fo their lives.

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 02:05 AM
Is it today in Muslim countries?
i answered that in the above post, final paragraph.

I'm judging by logic, which is different than intuition. I give credit to all sources, and question all sources.

I see your method of believing that muslim history is infalliable being lead by blind faith. No disrespect intended.
I made it clear that our way of differentiating between right adn false is a very scientific and objective method.. if you checkout cheese's blog and lookup the section on 'science of hadith' (scienc eof narrations) that will becoem objective...

oh and btw.. incase you want a practical example of Muslim scholars being very critical of stories and accounts... checkout Ibn Kathir's "The Beginning and End".. one of the first history encyclopedia's to be written...

salamz

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 02:09 AM
oh ps: Michael Heart seems to be in awe of Umar's rule.. so yeh.. read up on his rule and tell us what you think of Shareeah in practice :)

manaal
08-05-2006, 02:21 AM
if the whole world was ruled under the islamic ruling then there is no chance for crime to prevail and if every muslim is a genuine and sincere believer then without a doubt this world would be in perfect peace and harmony so i would definitly say

YES !!!!!

Just because one is a Muslim, it does not mean that he is a saint!

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 02:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by manaal
Just because one is a Muslim, it does not mean that he is a saint!
yeh defiantely i don't think anyone would say that..

I think the best example is teh society of the companions, some of them fornicated, some of them drunk alchohol, occasionally they even had heated disputes that resulted in squabbles... it was a perfect society with all the faults of human beings embedded in it.. a human society.

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 02:46 AM
i answered that in the above post, final paragraph.

I made it clear that our way of differentiating between right adn false is a very scientific and objective method.. if you checkout cheese's blog and lookup the section on 'science of hadith' (scienc eof narrations) that will becoem objective...

oh and btw.. incase you want a practical example of Muslim scholars being very critical of stories and accounts... checkout Ibn Kathir's "The Beginning and End".. one of the first history encyclopedia's to be written...

salamz
Thank you for the reference. I will check it out.

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 02:49 AM
oh ps: Michael Heart seems to be in awe of Umar's rule.. so yeh.. read up on his rule and tell us what you think of Shareeah in practice :)
I will read up on Michael Heart and Umar.

I'm not saying that all Islamic rulers were unjust. The fact that some were makes me support a non-Islamic world (by rule).

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 02:54 AM
^^ yeh fair enough, but i think once you readup on Umar's rule.. and when you realise that so far all the prophets predictions and prophecies have been realized to date... you won't be as worried about Islam ruling hte world the way it was applied under Umar, Abu Bakr's rule :)

take care all the best

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 03:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lamaggad
Here is what the Qur'an say since your asking from an Islamic perspective

but that still does not mean not to spread the word of God and guide non Muslims to that path... if they have accepted Islam with an honest heart then that's great, if not.. then that is fine as well.
I agree!

Rabi'ya
08-05-2006, 10:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sameer
I dont know if i misunderstood u but this ayah dosent not mean that each man should follow his own religion.
basically its talks abvout how the Quraish wanted to make a deal with Muhammad asking himn to follow their religon for one year and they would follow islam for one year. Thus Allah revealed to him that even if they follow islam for one year and something else another year they would never really foloow islam. There is no bridge between belief and dis belief or no compromise between religions and Allah instructed in this Surah to say this to the Quraish.
:sl: brother

i know. but i just think that the ayat sums it up nicely that we do not force people to follow or have faith. Each is entitled to follow their own and its only with the guidance of Allah that they will come to embrace Islam anyway.

jazakAllah kheir for your post :)

SirZubair
08-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Before i start having desires such as "i wish everyone in this world became a muslim.." what i REALLY want is for every single person in this world to BE (or atleast PRETEND) to be CIVIL.

Once that is achieved, i will pray to ALlah that he makes everyone a Muslim.

The last thing i want is More Lunatics entering islam and Hijacking it like SOME Muslims have done.

Subhan'allah.

Abdul-Raouf
08-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Having the world under Muslim rule would be wonderful.
Which will, of course, happen one day:)

HeiGou
08-05-2006, 01:05 PM

There are so many hidden assumptions and prejudices in that I hardly know where to start. You assume that Islamic law is God's law, which may even be true, but you will have some work trying to convince any non-Muslims of that. You assume that God's law is perfect. See above. You ignore the fact that God's law has to be applied by very human Humans. So what you get is not God's justice, but human justice carried out by people who think they are carrying out God's law.

All in all I would prefer a legal system based on reason - if Islamic law is better, you can make a case, we can study it, and if we like bits we can adopt them. If not we won't. Better than having a military coup and some dictator who insists that he knows what God wants.

He would have to pay 2.5 percent of the value of his possessions wouldn't he? Whereas in the West he has to pay 50 percent of his income. So a widow in an Islamic system might own a house left to her by her late husband, but have no income. In the West she would pay nothing even if her house was worth a million dollars. But in an Islamic system wouldn't she have to pay 25,000 each and every year? While a young man with no house but a Big Job in the City could earn a million dollars and pay little because he does not yet own anything?

Of course you have to look at what people get for their 50 percent.

HeiGou
08-05-2006, 01:10 PM

Everything you say about Muslim rule is also true of Christian rule as well. You say that Jews had their Golden Age under the Muslims. They did in Algeria too under the French. There was a lot of scientific and technological devleopments in Europe in the 18th and 19th centuries - while the Muslims were in a Dark Age - and European colonialism brought those to Muslim lands. European colonialism in the 19th century was much more tolerate than Muslim rule was.

So therefore we should all support a return of French rule to Algeria, no?

As long as you are a Christian or a Jew or a Zoroastrian. Historically Muslims have been tough on atheists and Buddhists.

Md Mashud
08-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Do Muslims Want the whole world to be Muslim?

LOL, STOPPED READING THERE!

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
Everything you say about Muslim rule is also true of Christian rule as well. You say that Jews had their Golden Age under the Muslims. They did in Algeria too under the French. There was a lot of scientific and technological devleopments in Europe in the 18th and 19th centuries - while the Muslims were in a Dark Age - and European colonialism brought those to Muslim lands. European colonialism in the 19th century was much more tolerate than Muslim rule was.
erm Science started progressing especially during the renaissance, especially after state was seperated from religion. Before that, priests where labelling discoverers and researchers as heretics.

The difference is that with Muslims.. science adn technology advanced when state was bound to the guidelines of Islam. as soon as that bound began to break, so did the empire.. and in turn.. Muslims themselves.

I beg to differ about euro colonialism.. when the europeans colonised, their legal system was imposed on Muslims, when the Muslims conquered jerusalem (e.g. Under Umar) the Christians where allowed to keep their legal system and doctrine fully functioning within their communities.

For mroe detail, check out at-Tabari's encyclopedia of history as well as Ibn Kathir's "Beginning and End".. they go into alot of detail especially about Umar's rule...

sorry i keep using Umar as an example... it's just that i know alot about him in particular so i know very well he's an excellent point of reference..

So therefore we should all support a return of French rule to Algeria, no?
No, because the effects of french colonialism is pretty obvious on that country.

As long as you are a Christian or a Jew or a Zoroastrian. Historically Muslims have been tough on atheists and Buddhists.
Yep, because the criteria of tolerance is based on who Allah can tolerate.. not humans.. Atheists and Budhists are asked to keep away from the Islamic state if they want to keep their religion and no one will harass them as long as they don't cause any problems.

kadafi
08-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Everything you say about Muslim rule is also true of Christian rule as well. You say that Jews had their Golden Age under the Muslims. They did in Algeria too under the French.
This is interesting since it is the first time I have heard someone referring the period of the French rule as a Golden Age for the Jews.

Historically, the only case that the Jewish people have achieved a Golden Age was during the Muslim rule in Spain (Andulsia). Some historians have also pointed out after they were expelled by the Christians in circa 1500, the Muslims helped them facilitate their Golden Age in North Africa (Maghreb) during the Ottoman rule, again a Muslim rule.

There was a lot of scientific and technological developments in Europe in the 18th and 19th centuries - while the Muslims were in a Dark Age - and European colonialism brought those to Muslim lands. European colonialism in the 19th century was much more tolerate than Muslim rule was.
Indeed, those developments were as a result from the Islamic Golden Age. While you claim that the Muslim World was wandering in Dark Ages, you have failed the mention the cause of the decline in the period of Enlightenment. After the Muslims removed Europe from the Dark Ages, they were attacked, massacred, and had all their developments suppressed through warfare.

If the Muslim World did not intervene and incite Europe, then the decline would have never occurred. Libraries and maddrassas wouldn't have been sacked, hospitals ruined. The Christian pirates repeatedly attacked the city ports and jeopardised the trading infrastructure. The Tartars went on a holocaust spree. The Spanish, the Portuguese all contributed to the decay of the Islaamic presence in Europe.

It is also worthwhile to note that according to Norman Daniel, the notion of toleration in Christendom was borrowed from Muslim practice
N. Daniel: Islam, Europe and Empire, University Press, Edinburgh, 1966. p.12

lolwatever
08-05-2006, 09:18 PM
There are so many hidden assumptions and prejudices in that I hardly know where to start. You assume that Islamic law is God's law, which may even be true, but you will have some work trying to convince any non-Muslims of that. You assume that God's law is perfect. See above. You ignore the fact that God's law has to be applied by very human Humans. So what you get is not God's justice, but human justice carried out by people who think they are carrying out God's law.
Well that's because you have no idea about God's law and Allah's criteria about who is to rule and how. I think you should have a bit of a read about the criteria for selecting a ruler and the many hadith that go on about this.

No doubt if a corrupt person is appointed as a ruler, he will fail to Apply Allah's law in full and consequently corrupt the empire.

Heigou, I think it's obvious that when you look at people like Umar who strove to apply God's rule in full, and compare them with some of the more corrupt guys towards the end, it becomes obvious that the corrupt ones didn't even try to justify what they where doing based on Quran and Hadith... whereas Umar done his best to insure that his application was in line with what God legislated.... hence the disparity between the two sorts of rules.. the rule of Umar which was perfectly what Allah had wanted, and the rule of the corrupt ones which was based on whms and desires.

All in all I would prefer a legal system based on reason - if Islamic law is better, you can make a case, we can study it, and if we like bits we can adopt them. If not we won't. Better than having a military coup and some dictator who insists that he knows what God wants.
I think it's your job to go take a good look into the books of Hadith and Quran and compare what the prophet said with reality... he made it clear to us that so long as our rulers will be good, so will the Muslims under them.... he also prophecised that there will be a Khilafah on his path right after his death.. followed by a dynasty that is followed by a kingdom which is followed by tyranny which will then be followed by another Khilafah on the path of prophecy....

implying that the Khilafah to come will be like the way it started out, a just one strictly following what Allah had ordered. And all in between these two points of time was a mixture of corruption and injustice.

He would have to pay 2.5 percent of the value of his possessions wouldn't he? Whereas in the West he has to pay 50 percent of his income. So a widow in an Islamic system might own a house left to her by her late husband, but have no income. In the West she would pay nothing even if her house was worth a million dollars. But in an Islamic system wouldn't she have to pay 25,000 each and every year? While a young man with no house but a Big Job in the City could earn a million dollars and pay little because he does not yet own anything?
Actually you're mixing a few things up there... a woman doesn't have to pay anything in the first place, let alone a widow... And if you read into Umar's incident with the old jew who was begging for money to pay his jizyah (poll tax), Umar demanded that people not be charged if they don't have the money, and that the tax should be waved from old people.

Not much, compared to what they would of got with the 2.5% they pay under Umar's rule.

Musalmaan
08-06-2006, 12:13 AM

hey, i hope you know that Guru Nanak visited Sheikh Ibrahim, the Muslim successor of Baba Farid, the great Sufi dervish of the twelfth century at Ajodhan. When asked by Ibrahim which of the two religions was the true way to attain God, Guru Nanak replied, "If there is one God, then there is only His way to attain Him, not another. One must follow that way and reject the other. Worship not him who is born only to die, but Him Who is eternal and is contained in the whole universe."

On his fourth great journey Guru Nanak dressed in the blue garb of a Muslim pilgrim and traveled to Makkah. He visited Madinah and Baghdad, too.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...AskAboutIslamE

Only Muslims are allowed to stay in Makkah and to enter the pilgrimage area, this obviously indicates that he must be a Muslim who accepted the way, as presrcibed by Allah SWT to attain His pleasure.

manaal
08-06-2006, 04:05 AM
:sl: brother

i know. but i just think that the ayat sums it up nicely that we do not force people to follow or have faith. Each is entitled to follow their own and its only with the guidance of Allah that they will come to embrace Islam anyway.

jazakAllah kheir for your post :)

"All praise is due to Allah; we praise Allah and seek Allah’s help and forgiveness. And we seek refuge in Allah, Most High, from the evils of our own selves. Whomsoever has been guided by Allah, none can misguide him, and whomsoever is misguided, no one can guide him except Allah."

In the ayath: "Lakum dheenukum waliya dheen" (to you be your religion and to me be mine"

The word "dheen" does not mean only religion. we must understan that in the Arabic langugae and specially in the quranic language, a single word has several meanings. Therefore we must explore the ayath in several different angles.

Dheen also means way, way of life and path. You will find that different translation of the Holy Quran would translate each ayath in a different manner. (This is why we can never fully rely on a transaltion of the holy quran to fully understand it).

YUSUFALI: To you be your Way, and to me mine.
PICKTHAL: Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.
SHAKIR: You shall have your religion and I shall have my religion.

Therefore I don't agree that the above ayath means that one can be a kaafir if he chooses to.

And Allah knows best

HeiGou
08-06-2006, 11:03 AM
erm Science started progressing especially during the renaissance, especially after state was seperated from religion. Before that, priests where labelling discoverers and researchers as heretics.
Well that is a gross generalisation, but so what?

The difference is that with Muslims.. science adn technology advanced when state was bound to the guidelines of Islam. as soon as that bound began to break, so did the empire.. and in turn.. Muslims themselves.
You can believe that if you like, but it is not true. Muslims inherited a great deal from Rome and Greece. The Persian converts added something to that but not much. As the Empire became more religious, scientific works dried up and stopped.

I beg to differ about euro colonialism.. when the europeans colonised, their legal system was imposed on Muslims, when the Muslims conquered jerusalem (e.g. Under Umar) the Christians where allowed to keep their legal system and doctrine fully functioning within their communities.
Well no that is not true at all. Virtually everywhere the Europeans went, and especially in the Muslim world, they left the Muslims under Islamic courts. In Algeria a Muslim could become a French citizen simply by rejecting the legal juridiction of the Qadi courts and accepting the French ones. India still operates the British-established Muslim court system for Indian Muslims. So does Malaysia oddly enough.

No, because the effects of french colonialism is pretty obvious on that country.
Sure. Roads, excellent agriculture, the wine industry, the oil industry, factories, Universities. The French left an excellent infrastructure behind. The enormous population as well. Better than the legacy left in Spain.

So can we all agree that French colonialism was an excellent thing?

Atheists and Budhists are asked to keep away from the Islamic state if they want to keep their religion and no one will harass them as long as they don't cause any problems.
That is hardly the history of Buddhists living near Muslims either but no matter.

InToTheRain
08-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Sigh... if only it was so :D

HeiGou
08-06-2006, 11:15 AM
You ignore the fact that God's law has to be applied by very human Humans. So what you get is not God's justice, but human justice carried out by people who think they are carrying out God's law.
Well that's because you have no idea about God's law and Allah's criteria about who is to rule and how. I think you should have a bit of a read about the criteria for selecting a ruler and the many hadith that go on about this.
I have tried my best to find out about it and I have to say I am less than impressed - it comes down to a committee of the Great and the Good appointing one of their own to rule for life doesn't it? Now ideally they should all be learned men and ideally the ruler ought to be the best of Muslims. But do you have any reason to think they will be? It sounds a lot like the way that dictators are appointed all over the world.

No doubt if a corrupt person is appointed as a ruler, he will fail to Apply Allah's law in full and consequently corrupt the empire.
What do you mean "if"? Unless God works constantly to protect the State a corrupt person will be appointed as a ruler. What will you do then?

I think it's obvious that when you look at people like Umar who strove to apply God's rule in full, and compare them with some of the more corrupt guys towards the end, it becomes obvious that the corrupt ones didn't even try to justify what they where doing based on Quran and Hadith... whereas Umar done his best to insure that his application was in line with what God legislated.... hence the disparity between the two sorts of rules.. the rule of Umar which was perfectly what Allah had wanted, and the rule of the corrupt ones which was based on whms and desires.
Hmmm, I am not so sure about that. It is not my field of course, but as far as I can see those later rulers just got qadis and muftis to agree what they were doing was Islamic. They asked for and got fataws as they needed them. Indeed some of the later regimes, the Abbasids for instance, were notably more respectful of the Ulama than earlier ones like the Umayyads. The Ottomans never had any problems finding Qadis who would allow them to murder their brothers or whatever usually on the basis of necessity. To this day most Arab regimes get support from some sections of the Ulama. Which is not to say that what they did was Islamic. I just don't think that they were so much the slaves of their whims and desires as you think.

I think it's your job to go take a good look into the books of Hadith and Quran and compare what the prophet said with reality
I think what you wrote is interesting, but does not really relate to what I said. I am happy to leave it if you like.

Actually you're mixing a few things up there... a woman doesn't have to pay anything in the first place, let alone a widow... And if you read into Umar's incident with the old jew who was begging for money to pay his jizyah (poll tax), Umar demanded that people not be charged if they don't have the money, and that the tax should be waved from old people.
But that was an old destitute Jew wasn't it? Surely rich old people are a different matter? Besides who says the widow is old?

Not much, compared to what they would of got with the 2.5% they pay under Umar's rule.
Now you are pulling my leg.

lolwatever
08-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Well that is a gross generalisation, but so what?

You can believe that if you like, but it is not true. Muslims inherited a great deal from Rome and Greece. The Persian converts added something to that but not much. As the Empire became more religious, scientific works dried up and stopped.
Did i say anywhere up there that Science didn't exist before Islam and Muslims? what i did say was that they're the ones who pretty much brought it back to life and literally re-incarnated much of greek and roman literature and took on board what whoever else had to offer.

lol i find it hilarious that you're on the view that as the empire grew it became more religious, that's just hilarious lol.

Well no that is not true at all. Virtually everywhere the Europeans went, and especially in the Muslim world, they left the Muslims under Islamic courts. In Algeria a Muslim could become a French citizen simply by rejecting the legal juridiction of the Qadi courts and accepting the French ones. India still operates the British-established Muslim court system for Indian Muslims. So does Malaysia oddly enough.
Now talk of serious exagerations, bring me any shred of evidence that happened under Umar (no Muslim would dispute the Justice of Umar). Such things defiantely didn't happen with the knowledge of any other Just Khalifs who followed him, it's a matter of principle.

The courts you refer to (or what remains of them) is localised to family related matters, barely representative of the laws that Allah set to be applied.

Sure. Roads, excellent agriculture, the wine industry, the oil industry, factories, Universities. The French left an excellent infrastructure behind. The enormous population as well. Better than the legacy left in Spain.
You seem to think that there's no economic incentive behind doing all that for the french. How about taking a look at what the french decided to do when the Algerians wanted their religion to rule them via democratic elections, obviously no one bothers to remember that..

So can we all agree that French colonialism was an excellent thing?
It was an economic ingenuinity on part of the french no doubt, afterall it was a colony, and as rational economic thinkers, you don't colonise a country for no economic reason. whether it was done on any moral ground, just take a look at the relationship between the two countries today and answer for yourself. (If France had any sense of human rights, how could it support such a regime and not bother about the corruption going on).

But it comes down to one thing, you're picking and choosing segements of history to suit your purpose, instead of critically analysing the laws and actual legal system... you seem to find it easier to scavange through dark periods of history (who no Muslim approves off) and use that as evidence to disqualify Islamic rule.

But you're quite happy to ignore taking an example like Umar and trying to prove your claims using him as an example...

HeiGou
08-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Did i say anywhere up there that Science didn't exist before Islam and Muslims? what i did say was that they're the ones who pretty much brought it back to life and literally re-incarnated much of greek and roman literature and took on board what whoever else had to offer.
I disagree. They are the ones that invaded Rome and Persia and eventually brought an end to their traditions of learning. Moreover Muslims were not that interested in Classical learning in their original languages - I am told there is not one single Muslim who translated anything into Arabic - which shows that the work that survived survived because Christians and Jews became Arabic-speaking, not because Arabs became interested.

lol i find it hilarious that you're on the view that as the empire grew it became more religious, that's just hilarious lol.
Do you? And yet. It is noticeable that some of the later Umayyads were more religious than the earlier ones - Umar II for instance - and that the Abbasids were clearly far more religious than the Umayyads. I am surprised that you dispute that but I don't see any need to argue over it. Deny it if you like.

Now talk of serious exagerations, bring me any shred of evidence that happened under Umar (no Muslim would dispute the Justice of Umar). Such things defiantely didn't happen with the knowledge of any other Just Khalifs who followed him, it's a matter of principle.
Again I do not see how that relates to what I said.

The courts you refer to (or what remains of them) is localised to family related matters, barely representative of the laws that Allah set to be applied.
Well that is mostly true, but why does that matter?

You seem to think that there's no economic incentive behind doing all that for the french.
And there wasn't for the Arabs in Spain?

Anatole France was once that the Law prevented the Rich man as well as the Poor sleeping under bridges. Of course he could have said that Bridges allow both the Rich man and the Poor man to walk over them.

How about taking a look at what the french decided to do when the Algerians wanted their religion to rule them via democratic elections, obviously no one bothers to remember that..
By that time France had left Algeria and all they did was support the government in power. I don't see the relevance.

It was an economic ingenuinity on part of the french no doubt, afterall it was a colony, and as rational economic thinkers, you don't colonise a country for no economic reason.
I replace the word "French" with "Muslim" and I don't see how that does not apply to Spain.

whether it was done on any moral ground, just take a look at the relationship between the two countries today and answer for yourself. (If France had any sense of human rights, how could it support such a regime and not bother about the corruption going on).
France does not rule Algeria anymore. It is not responsible for what goes on there, it just has to deal with whoever is in power. Why wouldn't it support a regime in power? French foreign policy is about French interests, not those of the Algerians. Name me a country that behaves any other way.

But it comes down to one thing, you're picking and choosing segements of history to suit your purpose, instead of critically analysing the laws and actual legal system... you seem to find it easier to scavange through dark periods of history (who no Muslim approves off) and use that as evidence to disqualify Islamic rule.
I am doing no such thing, or at least no more than you. You concentrate on Spain and on Umar - two very interesting and widely separated periods. What else is that but picking and choosing segements of history to suit your purpose, instead of critically analysing the laws and actual legal systems?

You will notice I am not using dark periods of history - and you are wrong about no Muslim approving of them - I am using your chosen period - Muslim Spain - and comparing it with a European equivalent - French Algeria. Why should you be the only one to pick and choose?

But you're quite happy to ignore taking an example like Umar and trying to prove your claims using him as an example...
So little is known about Umar and I know so little of what is known that there is no point for me to debate it. But as the old Jew issue shows I am also prepared to deal with that period too. Any second now I am going to ask how Umar died. Don't you think it odd that so many of the Rashudun died by violence?

Malaikah
08-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Any second now I am going to ask how Umar died. Don't you think it odd that so many of the Rashudun died by violence?
yeh.. allah swt took mercy on them, honoured them, promised them paradise and made them martys...

thats assuming i know who you are talking about in the first place, whats Rashudun?

HeiGou
08-06-2006, 02:30 PM
yeh.. allah swt took mercy on them, honoured them, promised them paradise and made them martys...

thats assuming i know who you are talking about in the first place, whats Rashudun?
الخلفاء الراشدون

מדינת ישׂראל
08-06-2006, 09:42 PM
الخلفاء الراشدون
What does that mean?

lolwatever
08-07-2006, 03:43 AM
I disagree. They are the ones that invaded Rome and Persia and eventually brought an end to their traditions of learning. Moreover Muslims were not that interested in Classical learning in their original languages - I am told there is not one single Muslim who translated anything into Arabic - which shows that the work that survived survived because Christians and Jews became Arabic-speaking, not because Arabs became interested.
You claim that the Arabs weren't interested in learning things in their original languages and that "the work that survived survived because Christians and Jews became Arabic-speaking" which doesn't sound right. Firstly, how do you know that the Muslims did not study things in their original languages, when they welcomed contributions from other civilisations? Secondly, the fact that non-Muslims translated their works does not mean that the work would otherwise have never survived. There could be many Muslim translators too that you don't know of. Perhaps you should bring some evidence for these claims, and not jump to poor conclusions.

There are few articles on this site about why the Golden Age declined (http://muslimheritage.com) - I think you will find it is more to do with corruption and attack from others than it is with "becoming more religious", if I understand that argument correctly! And the reason why it flourished was because of the faith, attitude and morals prevalent among the Muslims. Check this list: http://muslimheritage.com/topics/def...onomyTypeID=25

Do you? And yet. It is noticeable that some of the later Umayyads were more religious than the earlier ones - Umar II for instance - and that the Abbasids were clearly far more religious than the Umayyads. I am surprised that you dispute that but I don't see any need to argue over it. Deny it if you like.
I made it clear that there where other great Khalifs which could be used as examples, but what i found surprising was your claim that the general trend had a positive religious gradient all along which was inversely proportional to it's technological development! If you checkout this article it makes things alot clearer, http://muslimheritage.com/topics/def...&ArticleID=419 , you've got very little evidence ot peg religion as teh cause of the fall of Grenada on the hands of Abu Abdullah "Boadbil" amongst most if not all other cases of the empire's collapse.

Again I do not see how that relates to what I said.
It's very relevent, you made the accusation that: "Virtually everywhere the Europeans went, and especially in the Muslim world, they left the Muslims under Islamic courts." And i asked you to prove that was teh case with Umar for example, who we all agree was a genuine just Khalif.

Well that is mostly true, but why does that matter?
Erm Muslim's believe that the Islam is a way of life, to be applied in all aspects, not in bits and pieces, so we don't pick and chose.. whether we like it or not. So having semi Islamic courts isn't a solution... otherwsie why would we sit here arguing that the Khalifs towards the end where mostly corrupt? i mean they still kept the family laws and other fragments intact, as long as it didn't interfere too much with their personal affairs...

And there wasn't for the Arabs in Spain?
Whether that was the primary aim is a different story, it might be hard for you to comprehend, but Muslim's have the duty to give everyone access to Islamic knowledge all over the world, so that everyone has the same opportunity to learn abotu Allah, at the same time, to uphold the laws that Allah has sent for humanity to apply on themselves.

So the primary aim is to spread Islam everywhere, whether the people choose to become Muslim or not is purely upto them, whether certain Khalifs broke that law is irrelevent because they are not our source of guidance. Following from that, Muslims are commanded to take care of the land and keep it in order, prior to Muslim's invasion of spain, the spanyards where lurking in dirty streets, majority bathing once in every god knows how long... by the time Muslims had establisehd themselves, things that where previously unkown to the rest of europe where common in the Islamic empire (street lighting, paved roads etc.)

With the french, it was obvious that their prime aim for colonising Algeria wasn't for any religious or moral reason... Pleven, the French Commissioner for the Colonies, stated:

"In [Algeria] there are no peoples to liberate, no racial discrimination to abolish...
The overseas populations do not want any kind of independence other than the independence of [rather than from] France."

Whereas in the case of the Spanish, when they where strict in their religion, even non-Muslim commentators agree that everyone was happy under them, (e.g. take a look at the documentary "Planet-Islam").

Anatole France was once that the Law prevented the Rich man as well as the Poor sleeping under bridges. Of course he could have said that Bridges allow both the Rich man and the Poor man to walk over them.
What's that got to do with anything?

By that time France had left Algeria and all they did was support the government in power. I don't see the relevance.
Which was a just and un-corrupt regime :?

I replace the word "French" with "Muslim" and I don't see how that does not apply to Spain.
From what i explained above, i think the difference is very obvious, the french came in primarily for their own benefit, the Muslims came in with a religious motive which was to spread Islam further, the economic prosperity came as a bypass product, not as a primary aim... afterall, there wasn't much that was exciting about spain before the Muslims entered it, compared to Algeria's strategic position and natural endowments as far as teh french where concerned.

France does not rule Algeria anymore. It is not responsible for what goes on there, it just has to deal with whoever is in power. Why wouldn't it support a regime in power? French foreign policy is about French interests, not those of the Algerians. Name me a country that behaves any other way.
I guess that explains half the stuff i mentioned above..

It's simple, every political entity acts in its own interests, the difference is, the Islamic legal system is designed to act in the interests of those who live within it from a hereafter point of view, all other entities act for personal gains.

I am doing no such thing, or at least no more than you. You concentrate on Spain and on Umar - two very interesting and widely separated periods. What else is that but picking and choosing segements of history to suit your purpose, instead of critically analysing the laws and actual legal systems?
Actually, what you're doing is, picking and choosing segments where the legal system was applied partially or in a corrupt manner, and relying on the fact that the rulers had under dogs who legitimised thier rule... to support your claim that the Islamic legal system is cactus.

It's like telling me that cars are pointless and can never function properly because of so and so incidents and drivers, as if the driver is related to the performance of the car.

You will notice I am not using dark periods of history - and you are wrong about no Muslim approving of them - I am using your chosen period - Muslim Spain - and comparing it with a European equivalent - French Algeria. Why should you be the only one to pick and choose?
The topic of the thread is about the world accepting Islam, so essentially the history of Muslims is being used to highlight their successes as an outcome of their faith. If the French invaded Algeria and were kind and helped its civilisation (which wasnt quite the case), that's all good and well , but what does it have to do with the topic - we should ask what were their beliefs and underlying goals and would such a belief system be a global success today?

So little is known about Umar and I know so little of what is known that there is no point for me to debate it. But as the old Jew issue shows I am also prepared to deal with that period too. Any second now I am going to ask how Umar died. Don't you think it odd that so many of the Rashudun died by violence?
I heard that Anwar awlaki has a very detailed series on him, listen to it and it'll be obvious that there isn't as little as you think there is about him... his primary referencse where at-Tabari's "history" as well as Ibn Kathir's "Beginning and End" (i think he used that im not sure) and a couple others...

His last days are also covered in that story (including his assasination). What cheese said about Khalif's dying is true, i think what's pivotal to this topic is a difference that exists between us...

You measure costs and benefits with a narrow scope, so if a Khalif is killed, you see that as a cost (a negative one) and a loss, whereas, with Muslims, they look at it relative to the hereafter, which means we see it as an honour and great rewards in the hereafter.

You're going to probably give me the response "you can believe that, but you'll have a hard time convincing non-Muslims of that", and that's exactly why Muslims would love their doctrine to be in control, because talk is cheap, it's only when you guys will see it in action that people will take things a little more seriously.

To sum this up, you're argument is that faith (for Muslims) is the cause of scientific decline, the question is, do you have any evidence from the Quran or hadith from that? Infact, from what i read in the quran, there's the opposite. It comes as no surprise that people like Khawarizmi made it clear that their inventions where for the sake of serving Allah and his religion, for example in the preface of his algebra book, he mentions that his discovery is to serve "The practical needs of people concerning matters of inheritance, legacies partition, law suits and commerce."

The challenge is for you to bring even the slightest evidence that Islam discourages scientific development which is of benefit to mankind, especially in the fields of physics, biology, chemistry and mathematics. Some people today may even claim that Islam is against that, just because they say so, is that representative of Islam's outlook on such matters?

Do you want the whole world to be Muslim? Yes, for the reasons mentioned a page or two ago.

lolwatever
08-07-2006, 03:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by מדינת ישׂראל
What does that mean?
It means 'Guided Khalifs' :)

מדינת ישׂראל
08-07-2006, 03:51 AM
It means 'Guided Khalifs' :)
Thank you. :D

lolwatever
08-07-2006, 03:53 AM
no probs :)

AvarAllahNoor
08-07-2006, 07:59 AM
^^ why?

salamz
Jews believe all that worship Jesus are going to hell...
Muslims believe all the non-believers will go to hell...
Christians beleive all those that don't believe in Jesus will go to hell...

It's all confusing is God goint around in cirlces or something as if your relgions are all 'of the book' why so many contradictions?

lolwatever
08-07-2006, 08:06 AM
^^ Actually, in the case of Muslims, it's a bit different.

Non-Believers = People who hear of the message but ignore it.

Also, the followers of Musa (the Jews) are definately classified as believers, so are the followers of Jesus..

However, the people who decided to disbelieve in Jesus and stick to Musa's teachings when Jesus was around, they are classed as disbelievers because they are following their desires and not Allah's commands... And Christians/Jews who saw Muhammad and preferred their former religion over Islam are classified as disbelievers because they are rejecting Allah's commands and following their desires instead.

However, suppose if a christian never heard of Muhammad PBUH and they worship Allah sincerely, they will enter paradise because they where genuinely ignorant and where following whatever they knew, furthermore.. suppose someone had no idea about any religion btu decided to worship God in his own peculiar way.. he too will be accepted because Allah does not impose on a soul beyond its capacity.

So Muslim's are more pragmatic in their outlook of these things.. and anyway, the bible and tawrah make mention of the coming of a prophet, so if they where believers in their books.. they shouldn't have a problem in adapting to what Muhammad pbuh came with.

But that's not the topic of this thread... the question is, Do Muslims want the whole world to be Muslim... yes, for the reasons i mentioned in what you quoted :)

take care, All the best!

AvarAllahNoor
08-07-2006, 08:09 AM
But that's not the topic of this thread... the question is, Do Muslims want the whole world to be Muslim... yes, for the reasons i mentioned in what you quoted :)

take care, All the best!
If that was intended by Allah he'd have done it from the word go! It's not to be, hence the reasons of the other religions! :)

lolwatever
08-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Actually your point is answered by Allah himself:

Ar-Ra'3d (Thunder): 31: "And if there had been a Qur'ân with which mountains could be moved (from their places), or the earth could be cloven asunder, or the dead could be made to speak (it would not have been other than this Qur'ân). But the decision of all things is certainly with Allâh. Have not then those who believe yet known that had Allâh willed, He could have guided all mankind? And a disaster will not cease to strike those who disbelieve because of their (evil) deeds or it (i.e. the disaster) settle close to their homes, until the Promise of Allâh comes to pass. Certainly, Allâh does not fail in His Promise."
Also, if Allah wished, he could hav sent those who will inevitably endup in hell to hell from now, and those who's actions will lead to paradise, he could have placed them in paradise now... but Allah in his wisdom has decided to give human's free will and free decision to test them, for those who believe and pass teh test, paradise awaits them, and for the others, their destiny is hell.

take care all the best

Yanal
11-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Allah wants everyone to realize the true religon, Islam. If Allah wants it we want it because Muslims only hope good on others that everyone can go to heaven:).

Woodrow
11-03-2008, 12:49 AM
This is an old long ago debated thread. It is time to let the old timers rest in peace and be for reference reading only. Many of the original posters are long gone from here and can not update their views or defend their comments.

:threadclo:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.