/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can they stop me from Friday Prayer?

*Ladan*
08-10-2006, 11:10 PM
:sl: Hope you all well in Iman and health, well everytime I want to attend the friday prayer my parents tell me I dont have to and try to stop me with so many excuses.
I know is best for a woman to pray at home, but I love going to the Mosque its makes my Iman stronger, so have they got the right to stop me?
:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
DigitalStorm82
08-11-2006, 01:08 AM
Simply put... No.

DigitalStorm82
08-11-2006, 01:12 AM
There is no doubt that a woman’s prayer in her house is better for her than praying in the mosque, as is indicated by the Sunnah of the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him). He said: "Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque, even though their houses are better for them." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa’a fee khurooj al-nisaa’ ilaa’l-masjid: Baab al-tashdeed fee dhaalik. See also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 7458).

Whenever a woman prays in a place that is more private and more hidden, that is better for her, as the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said: "A woman’s prayer in her house is better than her prayer in her courtyard, and her prayer in her bedroom is better than her prayer in her house." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa’a fee khurooj al-nisaa’ ilaa’l-masjid. See also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 3833).

Umm Humayd, the wife of Abu Humayd al-Saa‘idi reported that she came to the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) and said: "O Messenger of Allaah, I love to pray with you." He said: "I know that you love to pray with me, but praying in your house is better for you than praying in your courtyard, and praying in your courtyard is better for you than praying in the mosque of your people, and praying in the mosque of your people is better for you than praying in my mosque." So she ordered that a prayer-place be built for her in the furthest and darkest part of her house, and she always prayed there until she met Allaah (i.e., until she died). (Reported by Imaam Ahmad; the men of its isnaad are thiqaat (trustworthy)).

But the fact that praying at home is preferable does not mean that that women are not permitted to go to the mosque, as is clear from the following hadeeth:
From ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar, who said: "I heard the Messenger of Allaah SAWS (peace be upon him) say: ‘Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque if they ask your permission.’" Bilaal ibn ‘Abdullah said, "By Allaah, we will prevent them." (Ibn ‘Umar) turned to him and told him off in an unprecedented fashion, saying: "I tell you what the Messenger of Allaah (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said, and you say ‘By Allaah, we will prevent them’!!" (reported by Muslim, 667).

But there are conditions attached to the permission for women to go to the mosque, as follows:
(1) She should wear complete hijaab.
(2) She should not go out wearing perfume.
(3) She should have the permission of her husband.

Her going out should not involve any other kind of prohibited acts, such as being alone in a car with a non-mahram driver. If a woman does something wrong like that, her husband or guardian has the right to stop her; in fact it is his duty to do so. And Allaah knows best.

bint_muhammed
08-12-2006, 10:48 PM
i've never prayed ina mosque, only at college! whats the differenc, just pray at home!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Helena
08-12-2006, 10:52 PM
alahmdulilah for the last months have been praying jummah.....it gives moi a diff atmosphere a diff feeling...listening to khutbah, donating charity and praying the jummah wid da others sister...subanallah...simply great..

Alhamdulilah av been going to teraweeh prayers in the mosque too...since GCSE time.....and i avnt stopped..

SirZubair
08-13-2006, 09:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ya_Giney
i've never prayed ina mosque, only at college! whats the differenc, just pray at home!
Some people feel closer to Allah swt when they are praying with a crowd, which is fair enough.

As for the original question, no, they cannot stop you from Praying at the mosque.

Here is an article written by Shaykh Imran Hosein.

THE WOMEN OF ISLAM IN THE HOUSE OF ALLAH

Imran N. Hosein

There is no doubt whatsoever that this essay is going to provoke both positive and negative responses from readers. But our purpose in writing it is to provoke enlightened responses from our intelligent readers – responses that would dispel complacency over (what this writer perceives as) unfortunate instances of misguided tradition.

Let us at the outset remind the Muslim reader of the prophecy of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah Most High be upon him) concerning the Day of Judgment:

“Narrated Anas ibn Malik: One day when the Messenger of Allah was sitting amongst us, he dozed off. He then raised his head, smiling. We asked: What makes you smile, Oh Messenger of Allah? He said: A Surah has just been revealed to me, and then recited: “In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful. Verily We have given thee al-Kawthar (fountain of abundance). Therefore turn to thy Lord for prayer and offer sacrifice, and surely thy enemy is cut off (from the good).” Then he (the Holy Prophet) asked: Do you know what al-Kawthar is? We said: Allah and His Messenger know best. The Holy Prophet said: It (Kawthar) is a fountain (spring or river) which my Lord, the Exalted and Glorious, has promised me, and there is an abundance of good in it. It is a cistern and my people will come to it on the Day of Resurrection, and tumblers there (for drinking) would be equal to the number of stars. A servant will be turned away from (among those gathered there). Upon this I shall say: My Lord, he is one of my people. He (the Lord) will say: You do not know that he created new things (in Islam) after you. Ibn Hujr made this addition in the Hadith: "He (the Holy Prophet) was sitting amongst us in the mosque, and He (Allah) said: (You don't know) what he innovated after you."
(Sahih Muslim)

The implication of this Hadith is that those who change the religion that was left by Prophet Muhammad would pay a very bitter price for such misguided conduct. It should not be difficult for anyone to realize that the most dangerous place of all in which to effect any change in the religion of Islam as established by Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah Most High be upon him) is in the House of Allah (Masjid).

Let us also recall another prophecy concerning the alarming extent to which Muslims would deviate from the original religion of Islam. The Prophet prophesied that Muslims could be divided into seventy-three sects and that in such an event all but one would enter into Hell:

“Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr: Allah's Messenger said: There will befall my Ummah exactly (all those) evils which befell the people of Israel, so much so that if there was one amongst them who openly committed fornication with his mother, there will be among my Ummah one who will do that, and if the people of Israel were fragmented into seventy-two sects my Ummah would be fragmented into seventy-three sects. All of them will be in Hell-Fire except one sect. They (the Companions) said: Allah's Messenger, which is that? Whereupon he said: It is one to which I and my companions belong.”
(Sunan Tirmidhi)

What should we do if we Muslims are to protect ourselves and our religion at that time of monstrous abandonment of the religion as left by the blessed Prophet? He was very clear and precise in his response that we should hold fast to the Qur’an:

“Narrated Ali ibn Abi Talib: Al-Harith al-A'war: While passing through the Masjid I found the people engrossed in (prohibited) talk, so I went to Ali and told him. He asked if that was really so, and when I assured him that it was, he said: I heard Allah's Messenger say, "Dissension will certainly come." I asked him what is the way out of it, to which he replied, "Allah's Book is the way (out), for it contains information of what has happened before you, news of what will happen after you, and a decision regarding matters which occur among you. It is the distinguisher and is not jesting. If any overweening person abandons it Allah will break him, and if anyone seeks guidance elsewhere Allah will lead him astray. It is Allah's strong cord, it is the wise reminder, it is the straight path, it is that by which the desires do not swerve nor the tongues become confused, and the learned cannot grasp it completely. It does not become worn out by repetition and its wonders do not come to an end. It is that of which the jinn did not hesitate to say when they heard it, 'We have heard a wonderful recital which guides to what is right, and we believe in it.' He who utters it speaks the truth, he who acts according to it is rewarded, he who pronounces judgment according to it is just, and he who invites people to it guides to a straight path."
(Sunan Tirmidhi)

The Qur’an, in turn, has asked us to hold fast to the Sunnah (way) of the Prophet:

"You have, indeed, in the Messenger of Allah an excellent model (of conduct) for any one whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day, and who engages much in the praise of Allah.
(Qur’an, al-Ahzab, 33:21)

And so, it is with the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of His Messenger that we must respond to all trials. And this brings us to the subject of “the greatest of all trials that mankind would experience from the time of Adam to the Last Day”, i.e., the fitnah (trials) of Dajjal the false Messiah or Anti-Christ. It was in connection with that attack of Dajjal that the Prophet warned that “the last people to come out to Dajjal would be women, and that a man would have to return to his home and tie down his wife, sister and daughter to protect them from being seduced by Dajjal.”
It is clear that Prophet Muhammad anticipated, in the above prophecy, the modern feminist revolution that has deceptively misled and corrupted so many women in the modern age.

We write this essay to warn that the feminist revolution will exploit to its advantage every mistake that Muslims make concerning their women. And we direct attention to one grave mistake that has already been made, and which is likely to explode in the face of this Ummah with devastating effect in the not-too-distant future as Dajjal moves to exploit that mistake to his advantage. What is that mistake?

A dangerous mistake for which we will pay dearly

Prophet Muhammad warned his followers:

“Do not prevent women from coming to the Masjid (for prayer)”. If Allah Most High, or His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah Most High be upon him), were to give an order, then Muslims have a religious obligation to submit to that order and to obey it. No one has the authority to cancel an order which has come from Allah or His Messenger. An order can be suspended in consequence of an abnormal situation having arisen (such as a suspension of the divine law of cutting of the hand of the thief in consequence of an abnormal situation created by drought and famine). But neither can an order be cancelled, nor can it be permanently suspended.

And yet, despite the clear orders of the Prophet concerning the rights of Muslim women in the house of Allah it is a quite common sight around the world of Islam today to witness Masājid (plural of Masjid) from which women have been permanently excluded. Such a flagrant violation of women’s rights is sure to provoke a bitter response from the feminist revolution. Indeed we are eventually likely to witness that revolution so exploiting this matter as to eventually succeed in having women give the Juma Khutbah (sermon) from the Mimbar (pulpit) of the Masjid. Already one such profoundly misguided woman has blindly led the way in New York City to open the gates for that evil destructive storm.

But the deprivation of Muslim women’s rights is not limited to their exclusion from the House of Allah. Even when they are allowed to come to the Masjid they are often not allowed to pray in the same space with the men. Rather, a separate space is allocated to them. This can even be in a separate building, an annex, an upstairs gallery, a basement, etc. And finally, when they are allowed to pray on the same floor with the men, two separate spaces are created through the imposition of a barrier (of bricks, wood, cloth etc.) which has the effect of creating two separate spaces for prayer – one for men and the other for women. Sometimes the separate space created for women is at the back of the men; but sometimes, and alarmingly so, it is at the side of the men.

In addition to creating a separate space for women, the barrier also has the effect of reducing women to praying congregational prayers with their ears alone, and not their eyes. Women cannot see the congregation (Jama’ah) at prayer. They can only hear!

But Prophet Muhammad very clearly placed men and women in the Masjid to pray ‘in the same space’ with women behind the men, and gave men and women the right to pray with both their ears and their eyes.

Consider the following:

Abu Hurairah reported that the Prophet said: “The best row for the men (in the Masjid) is the first (row) and the worst or most dangerous is the last; and the best row for woman (in the Masjid) is the last, and the worst (or most dangerous) is the first.”
(Sahih Muslim)

It is quite clear from the above Hadith that men are supposed to first fill the front row in the Masjid, and then proceed after that to fill row after row in the direction away from the Mimbar (pulpit). If and when women choose to attend Salaat in the Masjid, they are supposed to first fill the last row, and then proceed after that to fill row after row in the direction towards the Mimbar (pulpit). As the Masjid fills up the back row of men would draw closer and yet closer to the front row of women. And it is that close physical proximity of men and women, with no barriers in between them, which creates the situation that is pregnant with danger. Among the dangers described by the Prophet himself was that a man may not have enough cloth to cover his private parts when he prostrates. And so the Prophet ordered women to keep their heads down on the ground in prostration (Sijdah) until the men (in front of them) had a chance to sit up:

“Narrated Asma' daughter of Abu Bakr: I heard the Messenger of Allah say: One of you who believes in Allah and in the Last Day should not raise her head until the men raise their heads (after prostration) lest they should see the private parts of men.”
(Sunan Abu Daud)

The inescapable implication of both the above Ahadith is that women prayed in the Prophet’s Masjid in the same space with the men, but behind them, and that they prayed with both their ears and eyes since a woman who raised her head too soon could see the private parts of the man in front of her (if he was not adequately clothed). This possibility also indicated that there was no barrier in the Prophet’s Masjid between men and women as would obstruct women’s vision.

If women choose to perform their Salaat at home, on the grounds that such is preferable, it still would not solve the problem faced by those women who choose to visit the Masjid for Salaat, and are denied rights mentioned above. Indeed they are forced into such situations of prayer (such as praying at the side, rather than behind the men) in which their Salaat would be in manifest conflict with the Sunnah and hence would most likely be invalid!

The remedy for the present situation in which women are deprived of their rights, even in the house of Allah, is quite evident. It is that Muslims must now insist that women be allowed to come to the Masjid; that they be allowed to pray in the same space with the men but behind them; and that they be allowed to pray with both eyes and ears, and hence with no barrier between men and woman as would obstruct women’s vision of the men in front of them.

Nothing less than that can save Muslims from the grave charge of having changed the religion left by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah Most High be upon him) even in the Masjid itself! And nothing less than that can save Muslims from the evil feminist storm that is sure to sweep the world of Islam in the not-too-distant future, and sure to exploit this mistake of the Ummah to reap evil capital from it. .

End

Durrah
08-13-2006, 04:36 PM

No sister, they havent got the right to stop you as the prophet s.a.w said:

“Do not prevent women from coming to the Masjid (for prayer)”.

Its a sahih hadith as well. Out of interest though, what part of the world are your parents orginally from? A few of my asian female friends have been brought up not to attend mosque (with the expection of eid prayer). When i asked why, they said their parents believed that women should not attend mosue, therefore they were never really able to come for lessons, taraweeh at ramadan or friday prayers.

I've also noticed that in asian populated areas, many of the mosques dont allow women neither, so it tends to be a cultural thing as opposed to religion.

Anyways, if i were you sis, i would just go! Its not like its haram or you need permission to attend the house of allah s.w.t, so you wouldnt be sinning for enjoying the good!

Daffodil
08-14-2006, 04:12 PM
Hope you all well in Iman and health, well everytime I want to attend the friday prayer my parents tell me I dont have to and try to stop me with so many excuses.
I know is best for a woman to pray at home, but I love going to the Mosque its makes my Iman stronger, so have they got the right to stop me?
Obeying ur parents is like obeying Allah swt.

Its not wajib or fardh for a woman to pray in the masjid apart from eid salah.

If they tell u to pray at home then u have to obey them because they arnt asking u to do something haram.

If they were telling u not to pray at all, then u have to disobey them.

However as women praying in the masjid isnt fardh then u have to obey them.

DigitalStorm82
08-14-2006, 04:49 PM
I disagree, when you go against a hadith... it's like your going against the prophet.

The sahabas: "we hear, and we obey"

Sure, we have to treat parents with kindess and love... and be obedience. Even though its not fardh for a sister to go to the masjid. I think if the sister wants to go to the masjid, she should show the hadith to her parents and Inshallah they will learn.

There is no obedience to parents in disobedience to the prophet

w'salaamz,
Hamid

Annie
08-14-2006, 11:52 PM
salams
i think you should ask your parents, why they dont agree with you praying at the mosque.

azim
08-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Asalamu alaykum.

There is a hadith which answers your question: -

Prophet

: "Do not forbid the Slave of Allah from [going to] the mosques of Allah."

Also: -

Umar himself narrated that the Prophet

said more explicitly, "If your women ask permission to go out to Salat, do not forbid them!" Musnad Ahmad (1:40).

Taken from: -
http://www.abc.se/~m9783/fiqhi/fiqha_e48.html

shanu
08-15-2006, 01:04 AM
the reason why Prophet Mohammed told women to pray at home is simple
Its nt becos a women should be hidden
its becos its more convenient 4 the women
becos a women unlike men has to take care of her children and cooking..and leaving thses responsibilies and running to the masjid is diffcult 4 her! Becos even a modern women who goes to office n leaves her child behind,,is always thiniking of her baby and getting distracted. Prayer is abt concentration. N for a women is better at home becos she wouldnt get distracted abt thinking abt her children. If u have no such responisbilies then it should be ok going to the masjid..Another reason why we shouldnt wear perfume is becos we women get a little carried away abt all this. And in a masjid ppl from all sorts of backgrounds come. Some are poor and rich.. N once wen i was praying in congregation, i culd smell the perfume of this lady and 4 a moment my mind gt distracted thinking what perfume is she using? Islam is a practical religion. N Allah cares 4 his creatures. He does nt condemn one gender and raise another gender

the reason why we ask the permission of our husbands is becos we women are caretakers of the house..If we suddenly disppear..then it would be worrying 4 them and its better to inform him or ask him if its ok...its more of consulting him .

A women will certainly be rewarded 4 the extra efforts she take to reach the masjids. Becos after we do all our daily werk and we leave to the masjid, Allah sees how much of love we put in praying to him in a group.

Praying in a courtyard and praying in the bedroom
Once my sister who is a teacher was praying at school. N there was an electrician there, and she felt really self concious as she went into sujood. This is why its better a women prays in her bedroom. Becos its nt the fact that men look...its that we women are self concious..and we will keep concentrating of ppl is looking at us than talking to our Lord. Allah knows his creatures well.

Bt the Non Mahram driver
if its in a taxi i can understand
But in a bus, its nt quite possible. I dun own a car
and i cant drive so i take a bus. and i live in a kafir country. so i have no choice. I hate taking taxis becos its really weird and i scared that tehy will rob me. But its moe on intention...Smtimes we have no choice.. We creatures are judged by our intention more than actions. If u have a illict desire on the non mahram driver than its wrong, but if u have no other choice than Allah understands. Becos Allah does nt burden one more than her can bear. Islam is easy to follow.

But i will encourage u to go to the masjeed. Becos the rewards especially for isha is high.But that is after ur free from ur werk..becos u need to concentrate..ok sis..May Allah bless u!

chacha_jalebi
08-15-2006, 01:09 AM
salaam

sista, prayin in congregation is more rewardly then prayin @ home, so just go & you allowed to go :D simple :D no ifs or buts, if you wana go, you can :D

Woodrow
08-15-2006, 01:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *Ladan*
:sl: Hope you all well in Iman and health, well everytime I want to attend the friday prayer my parents tell me I dont have to and try to stop me with so many excuses.
the simple and immediate answer is no. At least no right in what is most important.

But the problem is going to come from with being how old you are and where you live. Most societies do not give people under the age of 18 or 21 the right to make any personal choices.

so, as long as they are not asking you to do anything haraam, it may be best to respect their wishes. they might be hard headed and unkowing about Islam, but it is still best to obey as long as the obedience is not haraam.

al-fateh
08-15-2006, 01:47 AM

There is no doubt that a woman’s prayer in her house is better for her than praying in the mosque, as is indicated by the Sunnah of the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him). He said: "Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque, even though their houses are better for them." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa’a fee khurooj al-nisaa’ ilaa’l-masjid: Baab al-tashdeed fee dhaalik. See also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 7458).

Whenever a woman prays in a place that is more private and more hidden, that is better for her, as the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said: "A woman’s prayer in her house is better than her prayer in her courtyard, and her prayer in her bedroom is better than her prayer in her house." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa’a fee khurooj al-nisaa’ ilaa’l-masjid. See also Saheeh al-Jaami‘, no. 3833).

Umm Humayd, the wife of Abu Humayd al-Saa‘idi reported that she came to the Prophet (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) and said: "O Messenger of Allaah, I love to pray with you." He said: "I know that you love to pray with me, but praying in your house is better for you than praying in your courtyard, and praying in your courtyard is better for you than praying in the mosque of your people, and praying in the mosque of your people is better for you than praying in my mosque." So she ordered that a prayer-place be built for her in the furthest and darkest part of her house, and she always prayed there until she met Allaah (i.e., until she died). (Reported by Imaam Ahmad; the men of its isnaad are thiqaat (trustworthy)).

But the fact that praying at home is preferable does not mean that that women are not permitted to go to the mosque, as is clear from the following hadeeth:
From ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar, who said: "I heard the Messenger of Allaah SAWS (peace be upon him) say: ‘Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque if they ask your permission.’" Bilaal ibn ‘Abdullah said, "By Allaah, we will prevent them." (Ibn ‘Umar) turned to him and told him off in an unprecedented fashion, saying: "I tell you what the Messenger of Allaah (Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said, and you say ‘By Allaah, we will prevent them’!!" (reported by Muslim, 667).

But there are conditions attached to the permission for women to go to the mosque, as follows:
(1) She should wear complete hijaab.
(2) She should not go out wearing perfume.
(3) She should have the permission of her husband.

Her going out should not involve any other kind of prohibited acts, such as being alone in a car with a non-mahram driver. If a woman does something wrong like that, her husband or guardian has the right to stop her; in fact it is his duty to do so. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

:w:

thc
08-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Asalamu alaikum warahmatullhi wabaraktuhu,

In non muslim countries the mosque can be a good place or the only place to learn and socialize and that is why women wish to go there.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.