/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women among prophets?

whitemuslimah
08-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Salaam walaykum bros and sis,
My question might sound silly. It is (i think) a well known fact that there were no prophets raised among women. How comes and why? Any links, useful sourses are appreciated.
Jazak Allah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azim
08-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Asalamu alaykum.

Are you asking "why are there no female Prophets" are asking "why aren't there any male prohpets who were raised among women"?

Sorry, it's just not 100% clear.

Rabi'ya
08-13-2006, 09:50 PM
:sl:

sister, its a good question, alhamdulillah. Ive asked the same thing before and I have been told an answer similar to this....(im sure other will add to it)

It would be hard for a woman to hold the title of Prophet as her duties basically lie elsewhere. It is the duty of a woman to serve Allah in a different way to men. Men are natural leaders and its easier for them to spread the word. If you think around the rules of hijab and dealings with non mahrams it would make it difficult for a woman to be aprophet. Men can speak to all other men and spread the word this way then down through their wives and children. The laws of Allah say that the child takes the religion of the father. If this was the case then even if the mother was a prophet then the children may not have been.

Im not sure i explained that too well(im not much good at this kinda thing;P ) but inshallah someone else will answer better.

You shoudl remember sis, that there are still many other pious women in Islam who we can respect and look up to, even if they werent prophets. Maryam - mother of Isa
the sister of Musa - i believe her name was Maryam or Maria too
The wife of Pharoah - Asiya
Aisha
Khadijah
:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

- Qatada -
08-13-2006, 09:54 PM
:salamext:

format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
The hadith says:
Many men attained perfection, but no women attained perfection except 'Âsiyah the wife of Pharoah and Maryam bint 'Imrân. (Mishkât al-Masâbîh 3/118)

This hadith was used by scome scholars - including Imâm Ibn Hazm, Imâm Al-Qurtubî and Imâm Abu al-Hasan Al-Ash'arî - as evidence in favor of the prophethood [Nubuwwah] of women since they argued perfection implies Prophethood.

The response given by other scholars to their argument - including Imâm Al-Qâdi 'Iyâd and Imâm An-Nawawî - was that the hadîth does not necessitate prophethood and in the absence of clear and irrefutable evidence we cannot claim anyone to be a Prophet. They said perfection simply implies attaining completion in all virtues. There were few non-prophets - amongst both men and women - who attained such a status. These scholars also point out that there are hadith which say that Khadija was clearly amongst the perfect women (related by Ibn Mardawayh) and that Fatima would be the leader of the women in paradise apart from Maryam (related by Ahmad, its isnad is jayyid). If this is the case however, then it negates the literal exception of the first hadith which restricts perfection to only two women.

Whichever of these two views is correct, it changes absolutely nothing in terms of beliefs, concepts or actions. And Allah swt knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rabi'ya
08-13-2006, 09:56 PM

also check this link inshallah - some nice info on here

http://www.jannah.org/sisters/famous...t#265,5,Famous Companion Women

check slide 18 inshallah

whitemuslimah
08-13-2006, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
Asalamu alaykum.

Are you asking "why are there no female Prophets" are asking "why aren't there any male prohpets who were raised among women"?

Sorry, it's just not 100% clear.
sorry for confusing you, i am asking why are there no female prophets?

wasalaam

whitemuslimah
08-13-2006, 10:05 PM
thank you for the info and a link rabiya.

just wanted to add, when i asked my husband he said women get pregnant and women have periods (implying being uclean during those times) so they can't prophesize and spread the word of islam for at least those 2 reasons. i am still thinking on his response ...

Rabi'ya
08-13-2006, 10:08 PM

grr, id just like to say that women are NOT unclean during that time grrrrr and please tell me why a woman could not prophesize during pregnancy?

anyhoo...its Allahs choice. there are reasons, but i cant see these as being the main ones.

Alhamdulillah ew've got enough with bringing up kids and running a household. Leave the rest to the men inshallah

whitemuslimah
08-13-2006, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya

grr, id just like to say that women are NOT unclean during that time
i know it is off the topic of the thread, but why then women don't pray when they have their menses, isn't it because they are in a state of impurity?

Joe98
08-13-2006, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya

It would be hard for a woman to hold the title of Prophet as her duties basically lie elsewhere. .

Men are natural leaders and ........

Thank you for teaching us about Islam :)

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-13-2006, 11:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by whitemuslimah
Salaam walaykum bros and sis,
My question might sound silly. It is (i think) a well known fact that there were no prophets raised among women. How comes and why? Any links, useful sourses are appreciated.
Jazak Allah
As to the difference of opinion regarding whether some women were Prophets, please see my post quoted earlier by br. Fi_Sabilillah.

There are numerous rational reasons scholars have outlined for this. Being a prophet has much more to it than just relating a prophecy to people. A Prophet is an active caller to the way of God and is often rejected by his people, persecuted and fought against. He may often be physically abused, or need to participate in battle. They may need to secretly meet chiefs or leaders of other groups, and such privacy would not be appropriate between unmarried men and women. And the nature of a woman's desire for a man is very different from a man's desire for a woman. Men may travel alone while women need guardianship to ensure their safety. To deny such would be to deny the massive disparity in the number of female rape victims to male rape victims. The Prophet must lead his followers in congregational prayers and other acts of worship. And men are burdened with neither pregnancy nor menstrual periods so they are much better suited to the continuous physical harships associated with their call.

The bottom line is that men and women differ in many ways and God has assigned to them different roles best suited to their natures. Please see the following article for more info:
Muslim Women: Concept of Equality

QuranStudy
08-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Arent Mary and the daughters of Muhammad prophets?

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-13-2006, 11:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
and the daughters of Muhammad prophets?
Absolutely not. Whoever claims that there is a Prophet after Muhammad pbuh has left the fold of Islam.

Hussein radi
08-13-2006, 11:57 PM
A friend of mine told me that Firdaws is mostly men and not women becuase alot of men die as Shaheeds. Also he told me that in janah only men get to see Allah(SAW) every friday and then they tell thier wifes. IS he right? just wondering.

Ansar Al-'Adl
08-14-2006, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hussein radi
A friend of mine told me that Firdaws is mostly men and not women becuase alot of men die as Shaheeds. Also he told me that in janah only men get to see Allah(SAW) every friday and then they tell thier wifes. IS he right? just wondering.
No, that's not true at all. Both believing men and believing women will see their Lord in Paradise.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.