/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Taraweeh - Can be prayed at home?

shanu
08-14-2006, 11:27 PM
I have a question concerning Taraweeh..
If we cannot pray Taraweeh at masjid..can we pray at home? I heard from a friend that we cant do taraweeh at home?
I also heard that The Prophet Mohammed (Pbuh) prayed 8 rakahs of taraweeh at masjid and did the rest at home
is this true
Can someone help me get hadith refernces for these two?
Thank u so much!
Love u brothers and sisters!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
08-14-2006, 11:44 PM
:sl:

Taraweeh In Jamaa`ah
The Messenger of Allah (saas) was the first to establish the Sunnah of congregational, jamaa`ah prayer of taraweeh in the Masjid. Then he did not continue with the Sunnah for fear that it might be made mandatory on the Ummah in Ramadan, and they might not be able to do it. In the books of Bukhari and Muslim, 'Aishah (raa) has been reported as saying:

"The Messenger of Allah (saas) observed Taraweeh prayer in the Masjid one night and people prayed with him. He repeated the following night and the number of participants grew. The companions congregated the third and fourth night, but the Messenger did not show up. In the morning he told them, "I saw what you did last night, but nothing prevented me from joining you except my fear that it might be made mandatory on you in Ramadan."

The general rule is that Tarawih prayer is Sunnah. Therefore, it can be performed individually at home or in congregation in the mosque. If it is easy for you to go to the mosque and perform it, then you will be greatly rewarded for that. If, for a reason or another, you won't be able to go to the mosque, still the reward promised by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is there and you won't be deprived of it.

Number of rak'aahs in taraweeh prayer
With regard to the evidence quoted by those who say that it is not permissible to do more than eight rak’ahs in Taraaweeh, they quote the hadeeth of Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan, who asked ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), “How did the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) pray during Ramadaan?” She said: “He did not pray more than eleven rak’ahs in Ramadaan or at other times. He would pray four, and do not ask how beautiful and long they were, then he would pray four, and do not ask how beautiful and long they were, then he would pray three. I said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, will you sleep before you pray Witr?’ He said, ‘O ‘Aa’ishah, my eyes sleep but my heart does not.’”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1909; Muslim, 738

They said: This hadeeth indicates that the Messenger of Allaah was consistent in his prayers at night in Ramadaan and at other times.

The scholars refuted this use of the hadeeth as evidence by saying that this is what the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did, but the fact that he did something does not imply that it is obligatory.

The evidence that there is no set number for prayers at night – which include Taraaweeh – is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar according to which a man asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about prayer at night. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Prayers at night are to be offered two by two (two rak’ahs at a time). If any of you fears that the time of dawn is approaching then let him pray one rak’ah as Witr.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 846; Muslim, 749)

Allah (swt) knows best.

:w:

thc
08-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Asalamu alaikum warahmtullhi wabarakatuhu,

Taraweeh can be performed at home and for women namaaz (prayer) is better at home.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.