/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Who are the Strangers?

madeenahsh
08-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Who are the Strangers?

By Imaam ibn Rajab

Taken from: Kashf-ul-Kurbah fee wasfi Haali Ahlil-Ghurbah

Concerning the statement of the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam): “Islam began as something strange and will return to being strange, as it began”, Imaam al-Awzaa’ee (d.157H) said:

“As for this, then it does not mean that Islam will go away, rather it means that Ahlus-Sunnah [21] will go away, up to the point that there will not remain any from them in a land except one person.”

Based on this understanding there can be found much praise in the statements of the Salaf for the Sunnah and their describing it as being strange, and describing its adherents and followers as being few.

Al-Hasan al-Basree (d.110H) used to say to his companions:

“Oh Ahlus-Sunnah! Be gentle with one another, and may Allaah have mercy on you, for indeed, you are from amongst the fewest of people.” [22]

Yoonus bin ‘Ubayd (d.139H) said:

“There is not a thing more strange than the Sunnah. But what is stranger than it, is the one who knows it.”

Sufyaan ath-Thawree (d.161H) said:

“Treat Ahlus-Sunnah kindly, for verily, they are strangers.” [23]

The understanding of the term “Sunnah” to these scholars was the way of the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) – that which he and his Companions were upon – free from Doubts (Shubuhaat) and Desires (Shahawaat). This is why Al-Fudayl bin ‘Iyaad (d.187H) would say:

“Ahlus-Sunnah are those who know what enters their stomachs from the Halaal (lawful).”

That is since the consumption of Halaal is from the greatest aspects of the Sunnah, which the Prophet and his Companions were upon.

Then it remained the custom of the majority of the later scholars, from the scholars of Hadeeth and other fields that the Sunnah consisted of that which was free from Doubts in regards to Creed. This was especially the case with issues such as the belief in Allaah, His Angels, His Books, His Messengers, the Last Day, and other issues such as Al-Qadar (Divine Pre-Decree) and the merits of the Companions. They compiled literary works concerning this knowledge and named them books of “Sunnah.” This knowledge was only labelled with the name “Sunnah”, because its significance was tremendous and all those who opposed it were on the brink of destruction.

And as for the complete Sunnah, then it is the path that is free and safe from Doubts and Desires, as has been stated by Al-Hasan, Yoonus bin ‘Ubayd, Sufyaan, Al-Fudayl and others besides them (see above). Due to this, its adherents are described as strange because of their small number and rarity in the Last Days.

This is why it has been mentioned in some of the previously stated reports that they are:

“A righteous people surrounded by people abounding in much evil. Those who disobey them are greater in number than those who obey them.” [24]

In this is an indication of the smallness of their amount in number and in the amount of those who answer and accept their call. We also are made aware of the greatness in number of those who oppose them and disobey them.

This is why there is much praise reported in numerous ahaadeeth for the one who sticks firmly to his Religion during the Last Days. And that he who does so will be like one who holds tightly onto hot pieces of coal. And that the one who acts upon it (i.e. the Sunnah), will receive fifty times the reward more than those before him. [25] This is because he will not find any supporters in doing good deeds (during those times).

These strangers fall into two categories: The first of them are those who rectify themselves when the people have become corrupt. The second category contains those who rectify what the people have corrupted of the Sunnah. And this (latter one) is the highest and most virtuous of the two categories.

Footnotes:

[21] What is meant by the term Ahlus-Sunnah are all the Muslims who strictly follow the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). They learn it, act upon it, enforce it and teach it to others. They consist of the scholars, their students and those that follow in their footsteps

[22] This report was recorded by Al-Laalikaa'ee. Badr Al-Badr indicated its weakness in his notes tovKashf-ul-Kurbah. However, a similar narration to this one has been recorded by Ad-Daarimee (1/72) and its wording is: “For verily, Ahlus-Sunnah are the least of people in number that have preceded, and they are the least of people in number who remain.” This narration is authentic. Refer to Mafhoom Ahlis-Sunnati wal-Jamaa'ah (pg. 84)

[23] This narration was recorded by Al-Laalikaa'ee in his Sharh Usool 'Itiqaad Ahlis-Sunnah (1/64) and it was mentioned from him by Ibn Al-Jawzee in Talbees Iblees. Refer to the book Mafhoom Ahlis-Sunnati wal-Jamaa'ah (pg. 85)

[24] Musnad Ahmad (2/177), and its checking has been stated previously

[25] This saying is based on the following hadeeth of the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam): "Verily, after you there will come times requiring patience. (In those days) the one who holds fast to that which you are upon will have the reward of fifty amongst you. He will receive the reward of fifty (i.e. the one holding onto the way of the Companions in later times).” [Reported by Al-Marwazee in as-Sunnah (no. 35), At-Tabaraanee in al-Kabeer (17/117), Abu Dawood in his Sunan (no. 3441), At Tirmidhee (no. 3057), who declared it saheeh, and Ibn Maajah (no. 4014)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skillganon
08-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Jazak allah khair sis.

amirah_87
08-30-2006, 09:31 PM
As salaamu aalykum,

MashaAllah TabarakAllah that was a a very god read!?

Kashf-ul-Kurbah fee wasfi Haali Ahlil-Ghurbah
This sounds Like A really good book...

Safeena
08-31-2006, 05:37 PM
salaam

jazakallah sis for sharin it

w.salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Musalmaan
09-03-2006, 08:23 AM
:sl:

initially every sect that is newly born is strange and that small group become strangers for the main body.
So One shouldnt try to be stranger rather try to be a humble & remain in the main body of muslims and fight against his own nafs and satan, the cursed one.

Ponder over it.

"Hold fast to the rope of Allah, all of you, and do not split into factions" (3:103).

"O you who believe, obey Allah and obey the Prophet and those of authority among you" (4:59).

"Whoever contraverts the Messenger after guidance has become clear to him and follows other than the believers' way, We shall give him over to what he has turned to and expose him unto hell, and how evil an outcome!" (4:115).

"Obey Allah and obey the Messenger and those who are in charge of affairs among you. Should you happen to dispute over something, then refer it to Allah and to the Messenger." (4:58-59)

"You have to follow the Congregation for verily Allah will not make the largest group of Muhammad's Community agree on error." Ibn Abi Shayba relates it with a sound chain.

"Verily Allah will not make my Community agree on error” Tirmidhi with a fair (hasan) chain.

"Verily Allah will not make my Community -- or Muhammad's Community -- agree on error, and Allah's hand is with the largest Congregation." Tirmidhi said: "And the meaning of "jama`a" according to the people of knowledge is: the people of jurisprudence, learning, and hadith." Tirmidhi (gharib) #2256, Cairo ed. `Aridat al-ahwadhi (11:9).

"Whoever among you wants to be in the middle of Paradise, let him cling to the Congregation." Tirmidhi related it and said it is sound (sahih).
"Shaytan is a wolf like the wolf that preys on sheep, taking the isolated and the stray among them; therefore, avoid factionalism and keep to the Congregation and the collective and the masjid.” Ahmad relates it through Mu`adh and through Abu Dharr, the two chains being respectively fair [hasan] and sound [sahih] according to Haythami in Majma` al-zawa'id.

"My Community shall never agree upon misguidance, therefore, if you see divergences, you must follow the greater mass or larger group." Ibn Majah (2:1303 #3950) from Anas with a weak chain. Ahmad narrates it mawquf through three sound chains to Abu Umama al-Bahili and Ibn Abi Awfa. However, it is marfu` to the Prophet from Abu Umama by Ibn Abi Shayba in his Musannaf as well as Ibn Jarir al-Tabari, the latter two's narration stating that Abu Umama heard this from the Prophet up to seven times. Bayhaqi in al-Madkhal narrates something similar from Ibn `Abbas.

"My Community shall not agree upon misguidance. Therefore, you must stay with the Congregation, and Allah's hand is over the Congregation." Tabarani narrated it with two chains from Ibn `Umar, one of which is sound (sahih). See Haythami, Majma` al-zawa'id, chapter on the obligation to stay with the Congregation.

“People used to ask the Prophet about the good and I used to ask him about the evil... I said: O Messenger of Allah, describe them to us [the callers at the door of the fire]. He said: They are of our complexion and they speak our very language. I said: What do you order me to do if that day reaches me? He said: You must keep to the Congregation of Muslims and to their leader.” Bukhari and Muslim on the authority of Hudhayfa ibn al-Yaman. Bukhari and Muslim on the authority of Hudhayfa ibn al-Yaman.

There the Beloved(SAW) has told us that if we see this group, we should stick to the majority of Muslims.

"Allah's hand is over the group.” Tirmidhi (hasan).

al-Munawi said: "Allah's hand is over the group means His protection and preservation for them, signifying that the collectivity of the people of Islam are in Allah's fold, so be also in Allah's shelter, in the midst of them, and do not separate yourselves from them. Whoever diverges from the overwhelming majority concerning what is lawful and unlawful and on which the Community does not differ has slipped off the path of guidance and this will lead him to hell."

"Allah's hand is over the group, and whoever dissents from them departs to hell." Tirmidhi (gharib) from Ibn `Umar, al-Hakim both from Ibn `Umar and Ibn `Abbas, and Ibn Jarir from Ibn `Umar.

"Allah's hand is over the group, follow the largest mass, for verily whoever dissents from them departs to hell." [ Narrated by al-Hakim and al-Tabari from Ibn `Abbas, and al-Lalika'i in al-Sunna and al-Hakim also narrated it from Ibn `Umar

"Whoever leaves the Community or separates himself from it by the length of a span, dies the death of the Jahiliyya (period of ignorance prior to Islam)" Muslim (Imara #55) through Ibn `Abbas. Muslim relates it with slight variations through three more chains. Ibn Abi Shayba also relates it in his Musannaf.

The Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) said: “There was disagreement amongst Jews and they split into 72 groups. In exactly the same way, there will be disagreement and divisions in my Ummah. It will split into 73 groups. Apart from one of those groups, all the remaining 72 will be thrown into Hell.” When asked which group will be on the right path, the Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) replied: “The group on the right path, which will enter Paradise, will be the group which follows my Sunnah and that of my Sahaba and this will be the largest group of Muslims.” (Tirmizi, Imam Ahmad, Abu Daud, Mishkat)

The Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) said: “Allah will never allow my Ummah to unite upon misguidance and incorrect beliefs. Allah’s mercy, blessings and protection are with the largest group of Muslims. And he who deviates from this largest group of Muslims will be thrown into Hell.”(Tirmizi)

Hazrat Shah Wali’ullah Muhaddith Dehlwi (radi Allahu anhu) states in his book “Aqdul Jayyad”: “As the Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) has stated, ‘follow the Sawad-e-Azam’, and when the four Madhabs are within the Sawad-e-Azam, then following of any one of them, is followance of the Sawad-e-Azam. Therefore, refuting any one of them is refuting Sawad-e-Azam.”

may Allah guide us all along to the right straight path.

:w:

islamicgirl
09-10-2006, 12:42 AM
assalamu alaikum,

masha'allah, masha'allah!
i really loved it,:!:
may allah bless you for every knowledge you have shared with us.

Jazakallah

Khayal
04-15-2008, 12:52 AM
:sl:
Jazaak Allah Sister,
Amazing article.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.