/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How your child learns

therebbe
08-18-2006, 02:43 AM
(Parenting

) -- Stick with what works. That's what Judi Newell thought when she started talking about coins with her daughter, Fiona, 3. "A penny is brown and worth one cent," she began, pointing to a drawing of one in a book. "A nickel is worth five cents." This is how she'd taught her older daughter, Anna, 9, about money.

But while Anna had slurped up the facts, Newell could tell her approach wasn't helping Fiona make sense of cents. "We both got very frustrated," says Newell, who lives in Clemson, South Carolina. "Finally, a little light went on and I got actual coins to show her. I let Fiona pick them up and see and feel the difference in size and weight and it worked!
In no time, she was able to tell me which coin was which and how much each was worth." For Newell, this was a clear example of a phenomenon many parents struggle with: Every child learns differently. There's no such thing as one-size-fits-all even within a family who shares DNA.
"Usually when we're explaining something to our kids, we just go with what worked for us, or what we've been taught," says Cynthia Ulrich Tobias, author of The Way They Learn. "Then we discover that what works well with one child can fail with another. And that can be exhausting."
Most parents intuitively sense that their child has his own so-called learning style but may be at a loss as to how to capitalize on it. But determining your child's learning style is no more complicated than figuring out what kind of books he likes or the types of games he likes to play. There are three main ways people learn: by listening, looking, or doing. Your child might lean heavily on one of these modes, or he might use a combination. Here's how to figure it out.
Learning by Listening

When our oldest son, Gus, was 2, he asked more than once, "Mommy, does your back hurt in the morning? Maybe you need a sleep-comfort adjustable bed." He'd then go on to recite verbatim an ad he'd heard on TV. We learned early on not only that we were letting him watch too much TV but also that he had a great capacity to retain information he'd heard, which I now know makes him what's known as an auditory learner.
"Jacob, my youngest, wants you to tell him everything," says Angie DeRouen, a mom of two in Austin, Texas. "He loves to learn but likes to do it by having a conversation. When we read, he doesn't seem to care about the pictures in a book. He can be walking around while I'm reading to him and still hear everything. It seems like he's not paying attention, but he is."
Since an auditory learner is likely to be good at remembering songs and ditties, turning school lessons into jingles -- like an ad -- could be a useful trick to remember when he gets older. But these learners don't only like to listen; they like to talk. As I can attest, many auditory types are chattier than a parrot with a Starbucks habit. Repeating information -- sometimes over and over again -- helps them to process it. Most toddlers and preschoolers like to do this to some degree, but kids who learn by listening do it a lot.

How to play to their strengths: Now that Gus, 9, is in school, I've found that when he's learning something new, having him repeat the idea back to me to reinforce it in his mind is a big help. Another strategy is to have your child teach the information to, say, a favorite stuffed animal ("Can you explain to Mr. Hops why we wash our hands after using the toilet?"), says Edgar McIntosh, a first-grade teacher in New York City and the coauthor of Multisensory Strategies. "The act of putting something into words pushes a kid to grasp the concept more fully."
Auditory learners need quiet for concentrated tasks. "One of my twins can do homework anywhere and shut out all the other noises," says Shannon Holt, a mom of four, in Kingsport, Tennessee. "The other will be right next to him in the kitchen and he'll have to shout, 'Will everyone please be quiet!'"
One mom I know uses soft, classical music to drown out competing noises and help her sons focus.
Learning by seeing

Lisa Duncan believes her daughter, Mia, 6, may have a photographic memory. Once when she was 2, she fell into an anthill while playing. "To this day, she can describe exactly what shoes she had on, what her brother was doing, and what the sky looked like," says Duncan, a mom of three from Dripping Springs, Texas, who has found it can be quite convenient to have a visual person around the house.
"If we lose anything, we ask Mia where it might be," she says, "and she usually has a picture in her mind of where she last saw it." Kids like Mia have an ability to store vivid snapshots in their brains and then recall that information when needed. They tend to be able to learn easily from pictures, videos, maps, models, and charts.
I know a friend whose 4-year-old had trouble getting ready for preschool in the mornings. She seemed to be a visually inclined child, so her mom had the idea of taking photos of her doing her morning activities -- getting dressed, making her bed, eating breakfast, and brushing her teeth. She then posted them in the proper sequence on the wall near her bed, and the visual aides did the trick.

How to play to their strengths: Sometimes a visually oriented child can be so captured by what she sees that she can't concentrate on one element. "When I sit down to read with my son Sam, his eyes go all over the page," says DeRouen. "He tries to take in everything at once." To help him learn to read, she puts a small rectangle cut out of a piece of cardboard over a page of a book so only words show through the hole. "It's improved his reading because he can concentrate better now, but he still looks at all the pictures first," she says.
That's okay, since a picture is likely to be worth at least a thousand words to a child who learns best by seeing -- whether it's your showing her a photo or your child making a drawing to help her under-stand something she's just learning.
Like auditory learners, visual kids often need order and quiet. Trying to get them to remember something while the TV is on is as irrational as asking a 1-year-old to put away your bone china.
Learning with your body

I remember that when my boys were 5 and 3, I thought they should learn to identify rhymes. But they wouldn't sit still long enough. They were wearing capes from old Halloween costumes, so in a moment of inspiration, I held their hands as they stood on the arm of an easy chair. Each time they made a rhyme, they got to leap to the carpet below. They adored the game with these hyperactive rules and constantly begged me to play.
On my own, I'd discovered that my boys were kinesthetic learners, which means they like to learn with their bodies. (Actually, most young children are kinesthetic to some degree or another, as you've probably noticed.) This can mean a child needs to move around while thinking or use his fingertips to absorb meaning.

How to play to their strengths: Don't get impatient if your child can't sit still for more than one book at a time. Better yet, let him act out a story as you read along. When he reads or colors, don't worry if he sprawls out on the floor. If he's comfortable, he'll be more likely to pay attention. You might help your child make letters out of Play-Doh or hop out the alphabet. "Active learners are easy to spot because they always want you to show them," says Allison Jackson, a mom of two in Bulverde, Texas. "My youngest, who's definitely a kinesthetic learner, is always saying, 'That's too many words!'"
Jeannie Ralston is a Parenting contributing editor.

cnn.com

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
08-18-2006, 02:47 PM
I found this free online learning style test, which you might find interesting ...
http://www.acceleratedlearning.com/m...our_style.html

Peace.

Umm Khalid06
08-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Helping your child learn

Many children learn best by touching (tactile learning) and through body movement (kinesthetic learning.) e.g. If there is motion in the story a boat rocking on the waves, a baby on a swing, a horse galloping, or a mom stirring soup, you can act out the motion with your child. Talking, touching, moving, and playing make the book come alive to all of the child’s senses .nevertheless young children mostly learn by exploring all their senses e.g. sight, hearing, tough, taste and smell. Children play and learn at the same time e.g. one type of play is constructive play in here children learn fine motor skills and hand – eye coordination .another type of play is physical play children develop large motor skills( use of their body, arm and legs) and fine motor skill ( use of their hands and fingers ). Physical play is important for children’s health and well being as it strengthens bones and muscles, improvers the enthusiasm and encourages good sleep patterns. Another type of play can be manipulative play this play involves the use of hands, muscles, and eyes. It helps to develop coordination and a wide variety of skills. Playing with puzzles, crayons, painting, and cutting with scissors, stringing beads, the use of tools, block building, dolls, and trucks are examples.You can make your child choose some activities that he/she wants to do, you let him know that his ideas and interests have value. You can further reinforce this interest by asking your child to teach you what he learns

What children need
Your child needs a good education, shelter love food and also the rights to affection, contact, security, stimulation and opportunities for learning these are fundamental for a child as it is growing up. Nevertheless the child needs a routine to know what it is doing and has to do and it stimulates its brain.

Healthy baby and happy baby
Healthy and happy baby needs most are love and affection which are essential healthy emotional developed child. They help children to feel confident and secure in themselves and express their feelings. Also a healthy baby needs good food, sleep and rest, exercise, good hygiene routines and care when they are ill. Breastfeeding is the best nutrition for all healthy and happy babies

Long term benefits
Giving a child love and affection helps he/her feel confident, relaxed and happy, which in turn, promotes hers/his’s intellectual development and which then provides a warm and loving environment also ensures them to feel safe also engaging healthy growth and development. Make sure you give the child a lot of affection. A healthy baby needs good food, sleep and rest, exercise, good hygiene routines and care when they are ill if you give the child all of these the child in the long run will benefit because they turn out to be to have high self-esteem experienced less guilt and anxiety. Breast milk is the most complete form of nutrition for infants. A mother's milk has just the right amount of fat, sugar, water, and protein that is needed for a baby's growth and development. Most babies find it easier to digest breast milk than they do formula. Also breast milk is the most ideal food for your baby. It contains easily digestible proteins, many factors that support your new baby's immature immune system, and other factors that aid in digestion. It is also low in cost and requires no preparation. Breast fed babies are also less likely to have colic, upper respiratory infections, ear infections, constipation, asthma or allergies.

therebbe
08-18-2006, 05:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I found this free online learning style test, which you might find interesting ...
http://www.acceleratedlearning.com/m...our_style.html

Peace.
It was actually very interesting. Thank you for posting it. I have young children so this kind of stuff always interests me.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
08-18-2006, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
It was actually very interesting. Thank you for posting it. I have young children so this kind of stuff always interests me.
I only tried it for myself. I suppose I could try it with my children.

How old are yours? I have one daughter (12) and one son (9)

Peace.

therebbe
08-18-2006, 06:10 PM
How old are yours? I have one daughter (12) and one son (9)
I have 3 boys (10, 7 and 4 years old) and 2 girls (6 and 2 years old)

glo
08-18-2006, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
I have 3 boys (10, 7 and 4 years old) and 2 girls (6 and 2 years old)
Wow! That's a lot of children! :D

Bet they keep you busy ...

therebbe
08-18-2006, 06:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Wow! That's a lot of children! :D

Bet they keep you busy ...
My wife is 4 months pregnant with another. :)

And Hashem blessed them; and Hashem said unto them: 'Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that creepeth upon the earth.' (Genesis 1:28)

וַיְבָרֶךְ אֹתָם, אֱלֹהִים, וַיֹּאמֶר לָהֶם אֱלֹהִים פְּרוּ וּרְבוּ וּמִלְאוּ אֶת-הָאָרֶץ, וְכִבְשֻׁהָ; וּרְדוּ בִּדְגַת הַיָּם, וּבְעוֹף הַשָּׁמַיִם, וּבְכָל-חַיָּה, הָרֹמֶשֶׂת עַל-הָאָרֶץ

mlsh27
08-20-2006, 10:37 PM
I am a bodily-kinesthetic learner...

czgibson
08-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Greetings,

Here's a paper I wrote on how children learn a while ago. It formed part of my teacher training, which accounts for its academic tone. Hopefully it will give interested parents an insight into what educationalists think about how children learn, and will go some way towards explaining what teachers try to do in the classroom:

An Analysis of the Contrasting Learning Experiences of Pupils

Abstract:

This paper begins with a discussion of learning theories, before moving on to consider practical implications for the classroom and personal experience, and their contribution to my professional development. All names of pupils have been changed to protect anonymity.

How do children learn?

This question has to be considered at the outset. It is not an easy question to answer, since various theories of learning have been put forward, and unanimous agreement among professionals is not to be expected. Also, part of the discussion could consider the extent to which knowledge acquisition relates to learning. The disagreement that exists over what actually constitutes knowledge has meant that it has an entire discipline to itself: epistemology.

According to most theories of knowledge, its instantiation depends on such factors as observation, intuition, memory and the processes of inductive and deductive reasoning from these. Interpretation as to how these factors and processes relate forms a discussion too wide for the purposes of this paper; therefore it is limited to discussion of three key thinkers who have had a major influence on educational thought. Their ideas are presented in a structure that moves from the general to the particular: Piaget’s general view of child development is followed by Vygotsky’s more classroom-oriented approach, which precedes consideration of Gardner’s theory of the multiple intelligences of an individual.

Jean Piaget saw learning as sequential, involving a child’s construction of meaning via the completion of operations, either in thought or in specific tasks. He saw this development as progressing through four stages:

1. Sensorimotor stage
2. Pre-operational stage
3. Concrete operational stage
4. Formal operational stage

These correspond to learning through sensory input; awareness of others’ views and object classification; mental and physical manipulations a posteriori, and finally a priori abstract reasoning. The stages represent a continually evolving series of structured existing ideas (schemata) adopted by the child in order to understand the world. This kind of stage theory has proved influential, although studies have shown that pupils are not necessarily limited in the problems they can solve according to their particular stage of development. Others, such as Flavell (1982), have argued that while thinking about development in terms of stages may be unhelpful, Piaget’s ideas about the features of development within each stage are still valid. It is possible that the National Curriculum level descriptors represent an analogous conceptualisation of learning, although on a much more specific scale. For Piaget, issues such as mood and motivation were not crucial, since he believed that every child naturally wants to learn; and that “genuine intellectual competence is a manifestation of a child’s largely unassisted activities”. Children develop their understanding of reality through an individual process of mental construction.

Lev Vygotsky, whose radical social constructivism expanded and modified Piaget’s work, outlined a more interactive view of learning. Vygotsky placed more emphasis on the construction of meaning through social interaction, with discussion as an important area for learning. For him, the culture and environment of learning are vitally important: we learn through interaction with others, and gradually internalise knowledge of the shared culture. The teacher becomes a facilitator, guiding pupils to the point when they can continue autonomously. This idea is known as “scaffolding”, and was further developed by Jerome Bruner in his related concept, “instructional scaffolding”. Vygotsky also stressed the fundamental importance of language in the development of thinking. For Piaget, language was a tool of thought; for Vygotsky, language arises because of the need to communicate, and helps to organise thought. Some say that the best way to learn something is to teach it to someone (indeed, medical students are taught many procedures with the method “see one, do one, teach one”), and Vygotsky’s view provides support for this idea.

Vygotsky’s concept of the Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD) represents the difference between what a child can achieve unaided (actual development) and when given assistance by an adult or more capable peer (potential development). This suggests that children should be given tasks which are “just out of reach”; in this way the children will be given a challenge that is achievable with as little prompting as possible, and that is not so easy as to be a pointless exercise. Here is a four-stage diagram illustrating the ZPD, making use of Jerome Bruner’s concept of the “spiral curriculum” for the recursive loop.

During the first stage of understanding a particular subject area, the child is given assistance until they reach unaided competence at the second stage. Next, information and strategies are internalised. Finally, the recursive loop brings the child back to the previous stages when the subject area is revisited. If it is being studied in more detail at this stage, the child will be likely to go further back in the process; each revision of the subject area should give the child the knowledge and confidence to recur from the second stage, with less prompting from others required.

A controversial modern theory that has gained ground in recent years is Howard Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences theory. This seems to have developed from Gardner’s dissatisfaction with standard intelligence tests. He saw them as, for the most part, being limited to measuring just two areas of ability: linguistic and logico-mathematical. Modern IQ tests often include a visual element in addition to these. Gardner found this very limiting: “IQ tests predict school performance with considerable accuracy, but they are only an indifferent predictor of performance in a profession after formal schooling.” He believed that standard notions of intelligence fail to account for various impressive human abilities. To illustrate this point, he considered talented musicians, chess players and athletes – front-runners in their respective fields. “If they are [‘intelligent’], then why do our tests of ‘intelligence’ fail to identify them? If they are not ‘intelligent’, what allows them to achieve such extraordinary feats?” Gardner’s answer is that they all possess particular combinations of seven basic intelligences, which he saw as being distinct, and possessed by everyone to a greater or lesser degree. He listed them as: logico-mathematical, linguistic, spatial, bodily-kinaesthetic, musical, interpersonal and intrapersonal intelligences. Some of these can be traced to particular areas of the brain, due to their dysfunction in patients with damage to those areas.

One criticism that can be made of Gardner’s theory is that although the concept of multiple intelligences is a useful one for understanding learning, he has simply used the word ‘intelligence’ to mean ‘aptitude’ or ‘interest’, concepts which could perhaps explain the performance of world-class athletes, chess players and musicians by themselves. Also, the theory neglects to mention the practice that such achievements require, which relies on interest and motivation to be developed effectively.

Personal Experience

During my first weeks of training at Kingsdown School, I have observed classes from Years 7 – 11 and been attached to a Year 8 tutor group. Most of my observations have been English classes, but during two days spent following individual pupils from Years 8 and 10 I was able to see classes in other subjects; it was also possible to observe the transitions between classes, and the different atmospheres they engendered.

The practical aspect of this investigation is a comparison between two male pupils with similar levels of motivation and ability, but an age gap of two years. I observed their lessons for a day each. For the purposes of this paper they will be referred to as Robert and Andrew, in Years 8 and 10 respectively.

Although their assessed levels and predicted results are similar, in character they are quite different. On the day I saw him, Robert was quiet and relatively aloof from his peers, yet clearly motivated, and on-task for nine minutes in ten during a sample lesson (History). Andrew, by contrast, was sociable and lively, similarly keen and on-task for seven minutes in ten (Maths).

On account of their differing approaches to interaction, Robert could be seen as a Piagetian learner, Andrew a learner who responds more to an interactive classroom with negotiated tasks, in the Vygotskian approach. Having said this, when I saw him, Robert’s day featured two lessons with cover teachers (History and I.C.T.), and two with regular teachers (D & T and P.E.), so the opportunity for an interactive classroom was slightly limited. Robert needed no assistance in I.C.T., but could have benefited from some discussion during History. Generally, though, working alone seemed to suit him. Not so Andrew, who consistently chatted, but only after he had completed the required lesson tasks. He relished the interactive classroom, frequently asking sensible questions, as well as answering questions from the teacher, without being afraid of making mistakes. In my view, if this approach could be encouraged in Robert, his learning would accelerate, and he would move from the stage he is at now, where he seems to be disassociated from his learning, and instrumentally motivated. He needs to be able to see the value of certain subjects for him, rather than them being a necessity simply to pass exams.

The limitations on this research have been various. Observing each pupil for a day in this instance equated to four lessons with Robert and three with Andrew, and it is impossible to form complete judgements on the basis of such limited evidence. Also, at times it was not possible to see the work Robert and Andrew were producing due to relative positions in the classroom. As mentioned earlier, two of Robert’s lessons on the day I saw him were supervised by cover teachers, which can impede effective observation. The most important restriction, however, is my own limited teaching experience, which means that my interpretations and conclusions are necessarily of a tentative nature.

Professional Development

Conducting this research has led me to consider the implications of theories of learning for my own teaching, as well as their relation to my classroom observations. The theorists whose work I examined looked at the question from progressively more specific viewpoints; it is partly for this reason that Vygotsky’s ideas have proven easiest to relate to my classroom observations and my aims as a teacher.

I would attempt to promote a learning environment, where questions are encouraged and discussion is an important aspect. I hope this would encourage students to be curious, without being afraid of making mistakes. An interactive classroom, where students share responsibility for their progress, can only accelerate that progress. Negotiated tasks give students a feeling of empowerment, and promote ‘ownership’ of the subject at hand. Responsibility for learning can be encouraged through pupils’ awareness of their own progress (metacognition), brought about by having National Curriculum learning objectives displayed in the classroom and grades clearly explained. Peer correction is also a useful tool, if certain pupils find correction from the teacher embarrassing or a blow to their confidence. Also, following Vygotsky, it solidifies knowledge in the corrector. Finally, when planning lessons, consideration should be given to different combinations of intelligences prominent in different pupils in the class.

All of these are intentions, and I do not expect that putting them into practice will be easy. However, seeing different teachers make use of these different approaches has shown me various ways they might be incorporated into lessons, and research into the theories behind them has further convinced me of their value.

Bibliography

Bloomfield, Scott-Baumann & Roughton, Becoming a Secondary School Teacher, Hodder Arnold, 1997

Capel, Leask & Turner, Learning to Teach in the Secondary School, 4th edn., Routledge, 2005

Moon and Mayes (eds.), Teaching and Learning in the Secondary School, Routledge / Open University, 1994

Internet Resources

Tharp and Gallimore, Rousing minds to life, 1988: http://www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/issu...ing/lr1zpd.htm

Psychology Resources: http://www.psy.pdx.edu/PsiCafe/KeyTheorists/Piaget.htm

Vygotsky Resources: http://www.kolar.org/vygotsky/

Gardner Homepage: http://www.howardgardner.com/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.