/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Analysing Apathy: Why Muslims Couldn’t Care Less

Ghazi
08-26-2006, 12:20 AM
:sl:

Got this from another forum good read!

Analysing Apathy: Why Muslims Couldn’t Care Less

Really good article mashallah. Was written almost 2 years ago but still applicable today.

07/06/2004

By Umm Rashid
Written for Cageprisoners.com

Let’s take a poll. Show Muslims pictures of the Guantanamo detainees and ask them what they feel. Tick the appropriate reaction:

• Ho-hum (yawn)…So, what else is new?
• Tch-tch. This is so sad. Hey, did you hear there’s a sale on at M&S?
• (Eloquent shrug) These people shouldn’t have been in Afghanistan/Pakistan/or wherever else they were picked up from, in the first place.
• (Lowering voice to a whisper) Look, this is none of my business, and if you know what’s good for you, you shouldn’t make it yours either.
• Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’un. From Allah we come and to Him is the return. I’ll pray for these poor people insha’Allah.
• (Wringing hands) It’s the end of the world. These are signs that the Anti-Christ is coming.

Or one billion permutations of the above.

Coming from an Ummah that was once likened to a human body by the Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alayhi was-sallam), in that if one part of the body was injured the rest would surely feel the same pain, these reactions are symptomatic of a deep malaise.

The Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alayhi was-sallam) said: ”The example of the believers in their affection and compassion and benevolence is like the body; If one part of it becomes ill the whole body comes to its aid with fever and sleeplessness.” [Sahih Bukhari and Muslim]

Today, the Muslim Ummah is behaving like a body alright, but it’s a body that is lobotomised, anaesthetised, paralysed – there is no co-ordination, no sensation, no movement – not even an inclination to acknowledge the inertia.

To give our ailing Ummah credit, we do have sporadic outbursts of activity. But these are usually for venting, breast beating, vilifying the anonymous ‘Other’, trading barbs and takfeer; activities which have earned Muslim discourse the derisive reference, “Muslim radical noise”, in the media. This is usually followed by long periods of somnolence - the proverbial “deafening Muslim silence”.

Muslim activists for Islamic causes have permanently pock-marked furniture – testimony to frustrated punches at the refusal of a majority of their brethren in faith to respond to resuscitation.

Community calls and e-mail alerts for a show of unity – be it at demonstrations, pickets or even a simple letter-to-the-editor campaign– are often ignored, except by a committed few. Most Muslim activists lament that non-Muslims show more interest and support for Islamic causes than ‘devoted’ Muslims.

Why has apathy to the suffering of our brethren in faith become second nature to us? Why do we refuse to allow ourselves to feel enough for them to do something?

- Read the middle part of the article here inshallah. Its too long to post it all here. -

Two things changed me.

One was a TV programme on herd behaviour of animals that I was watching with my children. It showed how animals protect others in their herd, sometimes at the cost of their own lives. I was forced to think of a parallel with the Muslim Ummah. If animals could be inspired to exhibit self-sacrifice and bear injury to protect a member of the herd, how much more protection the Islamic ideal of a universal brotherhood should provide to its members.

How did this ideal, of universal kinship based on faith alone, regress into the chaos of every-man-for-himself?

The second was a report on the family of Shaker Abdur Raheem Aamer, a Saudi national, resident in Britain, who is being held in Guantanamo. The part where his son clamours for his father to come home and take them on a trip to the Masjid al-Haram in Makkah really hit home.

I have made enough road trips with my family to be transported by those words. Nothing brings out a sense of family and togetherness than travelling in a car, one family against the world and its elements; children sleeping in the back seat, secure in the knowledge that as long as Abba is in the driver’s seat and Allah is watching over them from Up Above, all’s well with the world.

When that child was reminiscing about and longing for his father to come home and take them on a trip to Makkah and Madinah, he was really asking for his sense of security and his family to be restored to him, I realised.

That was the first time that I wished I had known the families of the people detained in Guantanamo personally. To tell them that there are people who pray for them as fervently as if they were members of their own family, who say Amen to every prayer and every wish that they wish for themselves.

The Ummah may be lobotomised, anaesthetised and paralysed, but it’s still breathing. And as the doctors say, while there’s breath, there’s still hope .

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
jello
08-26-2006, 02:28 AM

I suppose the situation is more or less like this all over the Muslim world, simply because we do not want to be accused of terrorism and extremism if we simpathize with Islamic beliefs (I am not saying Jihad only, all and every Islamic ideal is now labeled as extremist and absurd by the "world").

So that is why we have become paralyzed for the most part. :uuh:

Woodrow
08-26-2006, 06:51 AM
About 40 years ago there was a cartoon strip written by Walt Kelly called "Pogo"

Pogo was a possum that lived in the Okekefenokee Swamp. The strip was about him and all of his animal friends. about in the 1960s Walt did a series about invaders in the swamp. the swamp was being destroyed by garbage and trash. Pogo and his friends armed themselves and went out to battle and destroy the enemy. the strip carried on for several weeks. They never met any invaders. Then in the last frame of the last strip, pogo looked around and saw the trail of trash and litter he and his friends left while looking for the invaders. With tears pouring down his eyes he looked and his friends and said "We have met the enemy................... and he is us."

i_m_tipu
08-26-2006, 08:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

Got this from another forum good read!

Analysing Apathy: Why Muslims Couldn’t Care Less

Really good article mashallah. Was written almost 2 years ago but still applicable today.

07/06/2004

By Umm Rashid
Written for Cageprisoners.com

Let’s take a poll. Show Muslims pictures of the Guantanamo detainees and ask them what they feel. Tick the appropriate reaction:

• Ho-hum (yawn)…So, what else is new?
• Tch-tch. This is so sad. Hey, did you hear there’s a sale on at M&S?
• (Eloquent shrug) These people shouldn’t have been in Afghanistan/Pakistan/or wherever else they were picked up from, in the first place.
• (Lowering voice to a whisper) Look, this is none of my business, and if you know what’s good for you, you shouldn’t make it yours either.
• Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’un. From Allah we come and to Him is the return. I’ll pray for these poor people insha’Allah.
• (Wringing hands) It’s the end of the world. These are signs that the Anti-Christ is coming.

Or one billion permutations of the above.

Coming from an Ummah that was once likened to a human body by the Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alayhi was-sallam), in that if one part of the body was injured the rest would surely feel the same pain, these reactions are symptomatic of a deep malaise.

The Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alayhi was-sallam) said: ”The example of the believers in their affection and compassion and benevolence is like the body; If one part of it becomes ill the whole body comes to its aid with fever and sleeplessness.” [Sahih Bukhari and Muslim]

Today, the Muslim Ummah is behaving like a body alright, but it’s a body that is lobotomised, anaesthetised, paralysed – there is no co-ordination, no sensation, no movement – not even an inclination to acknowledge the inertia.

To give our ailing Ummah credit, we do have sporadic outbursts of activity. But these are usually for venting, breast beating, vilifying the anonymous ‘Other’, trading barbs and takfeer; activities which have earned Muslim discourse the derisive reference, “Muslim radical noise”, in the media. This is usually followed by long periods of somnolence - the proverbial “deafening Muslim silence”.

Muslim activists for Islamic causes have permanently pock-marked furniture – testimony to frustrated punches at the refusal of a majority of their brethren in faith to respond to resuscitation.

Community calls and e-mail alerts for a show of unity – be it at demonstrations, pickets or even a simple letter-to-the-editor campaign– are often ignored, except by a committed few. Most Muslim activists lament that non-Muslims show more interest and support for Islamic causes than ‘devoted’ Muslims.

Why has apathy to the suffering of our brethren in faith become second nature to us? Why do we refuse to allow ourselves to feel enough for them to do something?

- Read the middle part of the article here inshallah. Its too long to post it all here. -

Two things changed me.

One was a TV programme on herd behaviour of animals that I was watching with my children. It showed how animals protect others in their herd, sometimes at the cost of their own lives. I was forced to think of a parallel with the Muslim Ummah. If animals could be inspired to exhibit self-sacrifice and bear injury to protect a member of the herd, how much more protection the Islamic ideal of a universal brotherhood should provide to its members.

How did this ideal, of universal kinship based on faith alone, regress into the chaos of every-man-for-himself?

The second was a report on the family of Shaker Abdur Raheem Aamer, a Saudi national, resident in Britain, who is being held in Guantanamo. The part where his son clamours for his father to come home and take them on a trip to the Masjid al-Haram in Makkah really hit home.

I have made enough road trips with my family to be transported by those words. Nothing brings out a sense of family and togetherness than travelling in a car, one family against the world and its elements; children sleeping in the back seat, secure in the knowledge that as long as Abba is in the driver’s seat and Allah is watching over them from Up Above, all’s well with the world.

When that child was reminiscing about and longing for his father to come home and take them on a trip to Makkah and Madinah, he was really asking for his sense of security and his family to be restored to him, I realised.

That was the first time that I wished I had known the families of the people detained in Guantanamo personally. To tell them that there are people who pray for them as fervently as if they were members of their own family, who say Amen to every prayer and every wish that they wish for themselves.

The Ummah may be lobotomised, anaesthetised and paralysed, but it’s still breathing. And as the doctors say, while there’s breath, there’s still hope .
:salamext:

JajakAllaah kayir Brother that is very good article

The Ummah may be lobotomised, anaesthetised and paralysed, but it’s still breathing. And as the doctors say, while there’s breath, there’s still hope
lets be united or die........

:wasalamex

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.