/* */

PDA

View Full Version : First day of college/university

*noor
08-30-2006, 11:16 PM
salaam

today was my first day of college and it went pretty well alhamdulillah

if you just started college, use this thread to tell us how your first day of college was.....im curious!!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Vaseline
08-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, mine was back in Feb (university) and it was enjoyable. Not that bad and you get used to the routine. There are many girls from another aussie muslim-based forum who go to the same uni I do (check signature) so I see them around sometimes.

On my first day, there as an Islamic stall set up by the muslim society at uni. There was a hijabi so I went up talked to her a few times..and I was really really curious to know who she was. So I asked her...do you go on MV? And it turned out that she did ;)

Dahir
08-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Deleted

Jayda
08-31-2006, 12:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *noor
salaam

today was my first day of college and it went pretty well alhamdulillah

if you just started college, use this thread to tell us how your first day of college was.....im curious!!!
it was really fun and a lot like high school for me... i went to a boarding school so unstructured class times and dorming were nothing new... lol the first thing i did was find a sorority and i tried to make as many friends as possible, that really helped me through the transition. i was depressed for a long time because i was so far away from my boyfriend... so my friends helped a lot...

i see you are in new york... do you go to columbia?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jayda
08-31-2006, 12:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
Noor, what college are you attending?

I'm hoping of getting into Columbia or NYU in two years...:shade:

oh go to columbia!! I went to columbia for undergraduate school and now i go to the medical school, it is the best time of your life a great balance of really challenging work, good teachers and all the fun of the city!

Dahir
08-31-2006, 12:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
oh go to columbia!! I went to columbia for undergraduate school and now i go to the medical school, it is the best time of your life a great balance of really challenging work, good teachers and all the fun of the city!
Its going to be REALLY tough to get into, I'm just slightly above average. :uhwhat

My first choice for school is out of the US, probably in the Mid East, I'm looking into Islamic schools. :)

Jayda
08-31-2006, 12:48 AM
Its going to be REALLY tough to get into, I'm just slightly above average. :uhwhat

My first choice for school is out of the US, probably in the Mid East, I'm looking into Islamic schools. :)
lol oh dont worry you will be just fine, columbia is difficult but they know that perfect grades does not mean brilliant people and brilliant people does not mean perfect grades... just be yourself and shine

but where are you thinking about outside the united states? I have never heard of an islamic school...

Dahir
08-31-2006, 12:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
lol oh dont worry you will be just fine, columbia is difficult but they know that perfect grades does not mean brilliant people and brilliant people does not mean perfect grades... just be yourself and shine

but where are you thinking about outside the united states? I have never heard of an islamic school...
You know how there are many Catholic schools, like St. John's University....well, there are many Islamic schools, in Egypt, Iran, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, etc.

I'm aiming for any of the four countries listed above, but I'm still applying for at least 2 American schools.

Jayda
08-31-2006, 12:57 AM
You know how there are many Catholic schools, like St. John's University....well, there are many Islamic schools, in Egypt, Iran, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, etc.

I'm aiming for any of the four countries listed above, but I'm still applying for at least 2 American schools.
lol gracias... i did not know about that at all... is there any islamic school that is more prestigious than the rest? like notre dame with catholic schools?

*noor
08-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Noor, what college are you attending?

I'm hoping of getting into Columbia or NYU in two years...:shade:
EDIT***

so far its awesome except for my geography professor :offended:

i love it because its so diverse, has an awesome teachers education program, its so friendly, i made so many new friends so many of them muslims

let me tell you something about Columbia and NYU

they're awesome colleges and dont get me wrong but they're not much better than the senior colleges of CUNY especially Hunter and Brooklyn......dont pay the cash for NYU or Columbia where you can get an equivalent quality education someplace else. i picked Hunter over NYU and im happy alhamdulillah.

Jayda
08-31-2006, 08:40 PM
I loved Columbia... i had the time of my life, that is why i wanted to come back for medical school... but everything is different with my husband gone all the time and all my friends away, the city is bleaker... i jog in central park now rather than harlem, lol that used to scare dave so much...

Dahir
08-31-2006, 08:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *noor
I go to Hunter College of the City University of New York.

so far its awesome except for my geography professor :offended:

i love it because its so diverse, has an awesome teachers education program, its so friendly, i made so many new friends so many of them muslims

let me tell you something about Columbia and NYU

they're awesome colleges and dont get me wrong but they're not much better than the senior colleges of ____ especially ____ and ____......dont pay the cash for NYU or Columbia where you can get an equivalent quality education someplace else. i picked Hunter over NYU and im happy alhamdulillah.
I've been told that many times, don't pay twice the price for the same education. That's why I'm going to an Islamic school - cost effective and they're in countries with a lower currency exchange. :D

lol gracias... i did not know about that at all... is there any islamic school that is more prestigious than the rest? like notre dame with catholic schools?
There's IIU, which is in Malaysia, I've been told my a forummer that its top notch. And there's a school in Egypt and I'm kicking myself for not remembering its name. And there's Madeenah University in Saudi Arabia, its the most strict one, all-male, I think its the most prestigeous one.

*noor
08-31-2006, 10:37 PM
I've been told that many times, don't pay twice the price for the same education. That's why I'm going to an Islamic school - cost effective and they're in countries with a lower currency exchange. :D

smart choice

youngsister
09-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Well i am starting properly on monday but i met a couple of teachers and students, i havent seen any practising muslims really and the few muslims girls at my college seem stuck up :( Poor me another year there.

Starseeker
09-16-2006, 01:47 PM
I HATEDDDD my first day at college.:heated:

My first lesson finshes and 11:45 and my second lesson started at 3:40 so I had a three and a half hour break of doing NOTHINGGG.:grumbling

I couldn't go to the common room because everyone was smoking in there.:rant: The prayer room was locked so I couldn't go there and to make things worse I didnt get home till 7 in the evening :'( I'd go back to school instead anyday.

- Qatada -
09-16-2006, 03:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starseeker

My first lesson finshes and 11:45 and my second lesson started at 3:40 so I had a three and a half hour break of doing NOTHINGGG.:grumbling

I couldn't go to the common room because everyone was smoking in there.:rant: The prayer room was locked so I couldn't go there and to make things worse I didnt get home till 7 in the evening :'( I'd go back to school instead anyday.

:salamext:

Sister, why don't you ask to change your timetable? they might change it to suit what you want insha'Allaah.. i know of people who have asked and they helped out.

Make lot's of dua too - it can change your destiny insha'Allaah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...p-destiny.html

http://makedua.com

:wasalamex

^..sTr!vEr..^
09-16-2006, 03:29 PM
:sl:

hmmm...nyc thread...
i HATE college..its the worst place eva!! :grumbling
my first day was extremely bad n borin n miserable!! ..it was friday n we dont get break on fridayz + the girlssssss...i cant describe how they WERE..most of them had friends from skool n i dint hav ne1!!...i felt sooo lonely n unhappy n a whole lot more..n though 1 week has passed still ivent adjusted n feel lyk crying loudly all the tym... :cry:
i hate the place!! ..hate it to the max!! :grumbling :heated:

Starseeker
09-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the adivce Fi_Sabilliah

I'm going to go to my tutor on monday Inshallah and ask for my timetable to be changed. I dont mind the evening lessons so much but I don't like having the extended break.

Anyway, I doubt they'll change it because most classes are full and a lot of poeple have already asked for theirs to be changed and they were rejected do we'll see what they say to me......

Hijaabi22
09-21-2006, 07:50 PM
ahahahahhaha freshers week was coooooooooool :shade: was 2 yaers ago but hada laff! :thumb_up

Hijaabi22
09-21-2006, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Starseeker

Use dat tym to jus CHILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL like go shoppin or sumattttttttt thats wat I do durin my breaks :shade:

My tymtable ROX dis semester tho, go in 2 days a week, 5 lectures hahaah which is like NUTIN not that I go anyways, one day work experience then THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY SUNDAY to sleeeeeeeeppppppppp cooooooooool eh?! Lectures start next week!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.