/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Changing your last name

doodlebug
09-03-2006, 02:40 AM
Is it haram for a woman to change her last name to be her new husband's last name?:?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
09-03-2006, 02:42 AM
its not recommended, but not sure if its haram

because in Islam we're not suppose 2 try change our lineage.. e.g. for example wife changing her surname implies that she's from a diff family... if u get wat i mean

infact that's why the verse regarding zaid was revealed, the copmanion adopted by the prophet, Allah commanded us to keep our lineage intact and not change it by claiming to be the children of someoen else (whether by name or action)

but bottom line is, even fi its OK, she's not allowed 2b forced into changing her surname.. totally her choice, that's IF its ok .. not sure tho

lol if the west was so serious about honoring women, y do they make them change their surnames :? weird ay?

tc all the best :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-03-2006, 02:43 AM
The woman can either keep her own name or take the name of her husband.
i think its right..is it?

doodlebug
09-03-2006, 02:44 AM
hmm...well i currently have my ex husband's name and i really don't wanna be associated with my maiden name for reasons i'd rather not disclose so i guess i'm in a bit of a quandry. lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
doodlebug
09-03-2006, 02:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
The woman can either keep her own name or take the name of her husband.
i think its right

Really? So it's not going against anything? That would be great! (although his name is like reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy long lol)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-03-2006, 02:45 AM
Lol.. i hope some1 can confirm it tho...my mom has taken my dads last name...but then again..my parents r cousins..so basically the lineage is still there looll... i think..:?

Malaikah
09-03-2006, 05:05 AM
:sl:

i think there is a difference in opinion (not sure though), but we had a thread like this in the sisters section and the best contibution there was given by Umm Hamzah, so i might as well quote her:

format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Hamzah

Question :
i was just browsing this site and I came across ur answer to the question 2537 which deals with changing surnames of womens.. as u said it is haraam... can u plz gimme a refrence from quran on that or a hadith if possilbe..?

Answer :
Praise be to Allaah.

It seems that what is meant in the question is a woman changing her family name to that of her husband after she gets married. This is haraam and is not allowed in sharee’ah, because it is not permissible for anyone to claim to belong to anyone other than his or her father. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allaah…” [al-Ahzaab 33:5].
The Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has cursed the one who claims to belong to someone other than his father.”
(Reported by Imaam Ahmad and others). And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

Dhulqarnaeen
09-06-2006, 08:57 AM
This often happen right, the wife using their husband last name.
I dont know wether its haram or halal, but reading the fatwa of syaikh Shalih Al Munajjid above make me know taht its haram.
And what I know is, its ok to change your name if your name doesnt sound islamic, or sound like non muslims name, or like musikeen goddes, etc. Even its wajeeb. Cause like in hadith said that we will be called in yaumul qiyamah with our names and our father names. So Rasulullah said "So pretty your name". And theres no evidences from Quran and sunnah that theres sahabiyah change their names or add their names with their husbands name. Sunnah said name only with one words, but if we wanna make it two words or three, Alahu A'lam but I never heard this is haram.

Woodrow
09-06-2006, 09:05 AM
I don't know if this is the preffered, but in every Muslim country I been in the wife took the husbands first name. i.e. Amina Azowi marries Mohammad ben Kitani and from then on is called Amina bint Mohammad (I used 2 people I actually know and used the spellings they use)

lolwatever
09-06-2006, 09:08 AM
salamz bro woodrow

r u sure its 'amina bintmohammad'? lol coz that means 'amina daughter of muhammad' which is defffo haram, perhpas wat they say is

'amina zawjat muhammad' (amina wife of muhammad) ?

salamz

north_malaysian
09-06-2006, 09:10 AM
I think the reason why a woman retains her family name is because to show that she have rights and responsibilities for her father property and family.

In Malaysia, British introduced name registration system....and Malays dont have family names...So it person name is Ali and his father Ahmad.. his name will be registered as Ali bin Ahmad. But there are Muslims among Arabs, Indians, Chinese too ... but because all Muslims are considered Malays... many from those Arabs, Indians etc lost their family names.... and now, we dont really know OR even care about our family name... because it's not important under Malaysian laws.

north_malaysian
09-06-2006, 09:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dhulqarnaeen
This often happen right, the wife using their husband last name.
I dont know wether its haram or halal, but reading the fatwa of syaikh Shalih Al Munajjid above make me know taht its haram.
And what I know is, its ok to change your name if your name doesnt sound islamic, or sound like non muslims name, or like musikeen goddes, etc. Even its wajeeb. Cause like in hadith said that we will be called in yaumul qiyamah with our names and our father names. So Rasulullah said "So pretty your name". And theres no evidences from Quran and sunnah that theres sahabiyah change their names or add their names with their husbands name. Sunnah said name only with one words, but if we wanna make it two words or three, Alahu A'lam but I never heard this is haram.
Do Indonesians have family names? I've met several Muslim Bataks in Malaysia having "Nasution" in their name...

Woodrow
09-06-2006, 09:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
salamz bro woodrow

r u sure its 'amina bintmohammad'? lol coz that means 'amina daughter of muhammad' which is defffo haram, perhpas wat they say is

'amina zawjat muhammad' (amina wife of muhammad) ?

salamz
Nope that was the common usage in Morocco and Algeria, back in the 1960's. They are the only two whose names I could remember. Also in Morocco they use bintee to mean "my wife"

nishom
09-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Allah says,

“Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allaah…” [al-Ahzaab 33:5].

As it is in this world, so it will also be in the Hereafter, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“On the Day of Resurrection, each betrayer will have a banner raised beside him, and it will be said, this is the betrayer of So and so the son of So and so.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5709, and Muslim, 3265).

Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd (may Allaah preserve him) said: This is one of the beauties of sharee’ah, because calling a person by his father’s name is more appropriate for knowing who is who and telling people apart. The father is the protector and maintainer of the child and his mother both inside and outside the home.

This is why the father mixes with people in the marketplaces and takes risks by travelling to earn a halaal living and strive for their sakes. So the child is given the name of the father, not of the mother who is hidden away and who is one of those whom Allaah commanded (interpretation of the meaning):
“And stay in your houses…” [al-Ahzaab 33:33]
(Tasmiyat al-Mawlood, 30, 31).

On the basis of the above, there is no blood tie between the husband and wife, so how can she take his surname as if she is part of the same lineage? Moreover, she may get divorced, or her husband may die, and she may marry another man. Will she keep changing her surname every time she marries another man? Furthermore, there are rulings attached to her being named after her father, which have to do with inheritance, spending and who is a mahram, etc. Taking her husband’s surname overlooks all that. The husband is named after his own father, and what does she have to do with the lineage of her husband’s father? This goes against common sense and true facts. The husband has nothing that makes him better than his wife so that she should take his surname, whilst he takes his father’s name.

Hence everyone who has gone against this and taken her husband’s name should put matters right. We ask Allaah to put all the affairs of the Muslims right.

(islamqa.com)

Dhulqarnaeen
09-07-2006, 08:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Do Indonesians have family names? I've met several Muslim Bataks in Malaysia having "Nasution" in their name...
Thats one of the family name in Sumatera. Yes Indo, for some culture have family names, but not all indo have family names. And Nasution is like a tribe's name, in arab we usually hear like "At Tamimi" or "Al Halabi" or etc.

lolwatever
09-07-2006, 08:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Nope that was the common usage in Morocco and Algeria, back in the 1960's. They are the only two whose names I could remember. Also in Morocco they use bintee to mean "my wife"
oh ok.. moroccans.. fair enough... they prob have teh worst slang you could possibly think of.. followed by the lebos :hiding: (no im not pickin on ne1 ch cough ee cough.. s)

north_malaysian
09-07-2006, 08:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dhulqarnaeen
Thats one of the family name in Sumatera. Yes Indo, for some culture have family names, but not all indo have family names. And Nasution is like a tribe's name, in arab we usually hear like "At Tamimi" or "Al Halabi" or etc.
Famous Hadhrami surnames in Malaysia are Al Sagoff, Badjenid, Albar, Jamalulail and Al Junid

Salah ad-din
10-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Great posts guys, to elaborate and explain one of the signifcance of this is that, this is important to the roots of the individual, when a woman keeps the name of her father she helps her decendants to track down her lineage.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.