/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hezbollah Ruins Lebanon, Loses Credibility

brainiac
08-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Nasrallah ‘did not think’ act would spark war
Hezbollah leader says he wouldn’t have ordered Israeli soldiers’ capture

Updated: 2 hours, 54 minutes ago

BEIRUT, Lebanon - Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah said in a TV interview aired Sunday that he would not have ordered the capture of two Israeli soldiers if he had known it would lead to such a war.

Hezbollah guerrillas killed three Israeli soldiers and seized two more in a cross-border raid July 12, which sparked 34 days of fighting that ended Aug. 14. Five other Israeli soldiers were killed as they pursued the militants back into Lebanon.

“We did not think, even 1 percent, that the capture would lead to a war at this time and of this magnitude. You ask me, if I had known on July 11 ... that the operation would lead to such a war, would I do it? I say no, absolutely not,” he said in an interview with Lebanon’s New TV station.

Nasrallah also said the United Nations and Italy already had initiated “contacts” about beginning negotiations on a prisoner swap.

Israeli officials have been refusing to comment on the record about the prospects of a prisoner exchange, citing the extreme sensitivity of the issue.

But military officials said earlier this month that Israel is holding 13 Hezbollah prisoners and the bodies of dozens of guerrillas that it could swap for the two captive soldiers, but would not include any Palestinian prisoners in such a deal.

“The Israelis have acknowledged that this (issue) is headed for negotiations and a (prisoners) exchange,” he said. “Contacts recently began for negotiations.”

Prisoner exchange in the works?
He said Italy and the United Nations had made contacts to help mediate a prisoner swap with Israel, but did not specify whether they had contacted Hezbollah directly.

“The Italians seem to be getting close and are trying to get into the subject. The United Nations is interested,” Nasrallah said.

The guerrilla leader did not specify in which capacity Italy had expressed interest — on its own or on Israel’s behalf.

Nasrallah said Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri was in charge of the negotiations.

He added that the subject would be discussed during U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan’s visit to Beirut on Monday. He said “some contacts” had been made to arrange a meeting between him and Annan, but that it was unlikely for security reasons. Nasrallah went into hiding on the first day of the war and his whereabouts are unknown.

He said in the interview Sunday that he had no doubt that the Israelis “would not hesitate” to kill him if they knew where he was hiding.

Nasrallah also said he did not believe a second bout of fighting would break out with Israel. “The current Israeli situation, and the available givens tell us that we are not heading to another round,” he said.

© 2006 The Associated Press.

DUH, GENIUS !!! :? :giggling: :? :giggling:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
therebbe
08-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Lebanese people are starting to realize the dumb move he made, and he is starting to get bad press in Lebonon.

QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 01:18 AM
Nasralllah is the biggest winner from this war. Olmert is the overall loser. Only a miracle will get him re-elected.

Samee
08-28-2006, 01:24 AM
He certainly gained from the war. No doubt the people of Lebanon and Israel and all of the people who died did not, but he knows that for him it all turned out good.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
therebbe
08-28-2006, 01:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Nasralllah is the biggest winner from this war. Olmert is the overall loser. Only a miracle will get him re-elected.
Believe me... you want Olmert to get re-elected. Israeli's will probably now turn to the much more right wing politicians who do not hol back so much. The right wing people in israel are all military people who are knowledgable unlike Olmert. You should pray Olmert stays in, because you do not want Israel to be in the power of Military leaders. Then what will become of the Palestinians you care so much about?

QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 01:29 AM
Israeli's will probably now turn to the much more right wing politicians who do not hol back so much. The right wing people in israel are all military people who are knowledgable unlike Olmert. You should pray Olmert stays in, because you do not want Israel to be in the power of Military leaders. Then what will become of the Palestinians you care so much about?
Does it really make a difference? All are terrorists.

therebbe
08-28-2006, 01:31 AM
Does it really make a difference? All are terrorists.
Your point of view that is. Many see it different. The point of you though is irrelevant. What is irrelevant is that if you hate Israel and want to see it limp into battles and be unprepared and not guided well... you want Olmert in power. The right wing Military branch of Israeli's absolutly embarrassed the Islamic world in many wars...'

But you know very well liberals do not know how to fight... ;D

QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 01:33 AM
The right wing Military branch of Israeli's absolutly embarrassed the Islamic world in many wars...
Apparently not Hizbollah.

Zone Maker
08-28-2006, 01:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
The right wing Military branch of Israeli's absolutly embarrassed the Islamic world in many wars...'

Hmmm:?
Correction:-
Arab world not Islamic world.

QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 01:47 AM
Arab world not Islamic world.
Yeah, I'm sure Hezbollah can beat most of these Arab countries anyday.

Hashim_507
08-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Your point of view that is. Many see it different. The point of you though is irrelevant. What is irrelevant is that if you hate Israel and want to see it limp into battles and be unprepared and not guided well... you want Olmert in power. The right wing Military branch of Israeli's absolutly embarrassed the Islamic world in many wars...'

Right wingers in Isreal are the politicians who fail the road map, Olmart was former right winger. All those right wingers missions is to kill palestinian civilians and destroy palestinians lives, is that a victory?

QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 02:04 AM
I have yet to see a "left-winger" in Israel. All PMs I know so far are right wingers mostly.

Zone Maker
08-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I'm sure Hezbollah can beat most of these Arab countries anyday.
:sl:
I am jealous that a country other than mine has brave men like them who defend their homes without any fear of death. Unfortunately some Lebanese won't relies this:( .
:w:

QuranStudy
08-28-2006, 02:12 AM
Unfortunately some Lebanese won't relies this .
Most Lebanese do realize this.

Dahir
08-28-2006, 02:19 AM
I have yet to see a "left-winger" in Israel. All PMs I know so far are right wingers mostly.
Same here. I think the most Left-wing Israeli PM was Ehud Barak.

north_malaysian
08-28-2006, 02:27 AM
Believe me... you want Olmert to get re-elected. Israeli's will probably now turn to the much more right wing politicians who do not hol back so much. The right wing people in israel are all military people who are knowledgable unlike Olmert. You should pray Olmert stays in, because you do not want Israel to be in the power of Military leaders. Then what will become of the Palestinians you care so much about?
NEtanyahu is waiting on the queue to be next Israeli PM.

north_malaysian
08-28-2006, 02:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
Same here. I think the most Left-wing Israeli PM was Ehud Barak.
How about Shimon Peres?

Dahir
08-28-2006, 02:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
How about Shimon Peres?
He's a staunch supporter of Ariel Sharon...not exactly Left wing.

And this is a famous quote of his - very Nationalist and Right wing in nature:

"When you win a war, your people are united and applaud you. When you make peace, your people are doubtful and resentful."

In 2006, he left the Labor party and joined the newly-formed extreme right wing Kadima party - started by war criminal Sharon. :-\

therebbe
08-28-2006, 03:30 AM
Most Lebanese do realize this.
How do you know? Are you there? Did you take some kind of a poll?

So let me ask you all? How has the Palestinian leadership been? Actually how is any Jew to think there will ever be a peace partner in gaza or the west bank when they cannot even stop killing eachother... :uhwhat

Ninth_Scribe
09-01-2006, 05:12 PM
I really like this guy, Nasrallah! He impressed me because he placed the best interest of his people before his own concerns when he agreed to the cease-fire. But he really wowed me when he humbled himself by admitting he under-estimated the retaliatory strike by Israel. I have not seen this quality in any of the other supposed leaders who, to-date, have not accepted any responsibility for the messes they've made. Mayor Nagan is still blaming a storm for the destruction of his city because there couldn't possibly have been a problem with the design... building a city right on the Gulf Coast... below sea-level?
No rocket science needed for that mental abortion.

Ninth Scribe

Dahir
09-01-2006, 06:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
I really like this guy, Nasrallah! He impressed me because he placed the best interest of his people before his own concerns when he agreed to the cease-fire. But he really wowed me when he humbled himself by admitting he under-estimated the retaliatory strike by Israel. I have not seen this quality in any of the other supposed leaders who, to-date, have not accepted any responsibility for the messes they've made. Mayor Nagan is still blaming a storm for the destruction of his city because there couldn't possibly have been a problem with the design... building a city right on the Gulf Coast... below sea-level?
No rocket science needed for that mental abortion.

Ninth Scribe
I think Nasrallah may be a better public relations coordinator than we could've thought. For an outlaw, he's got a squeeky clean image.

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 06:44 PM
How do you know? Are you there? Did you take some kind of a poll?
http://www.democracynow.org/article..../07/27/1423248

Basically, 87% of all Lebanese support Hezbollah's resistance against Israel today. And that includes 80% of all Christian respondents, 80% of all Druze respondents, and 89% of all Sunnis. And this, of course, is non-Shiite groups, so those which have supported the March 14 pro-American -- the March 14, sorry, alliance, which is seen as being pro-American, pro-French, anti-Syrian.
o let me ask you all? How has the Palestinian leadership been?
They suck. But so does Olmert's administration.

Actually how is any Jew to think there will ever be a peace partner in gaza or the west bank when they cannot even stop killing eachother...
How is any Palestinian to think they can for peace with Israel after Israelis massacres their family members on a daily basis? That is why they all have a "resistance" mentality. They belive Israelis are occupyers, not "neighbors."

lavikor201
09-01-2006, 07:11 PM
How is any Palestinian to think they can for peace with Israel after Israelis massacres their family members on a daily basis? That is why they all have a "resistance" mentality. They belive Israelis are occupyers, not "neighbors."
Look to the beggining... who commited the first massacre of who... The first massacre was commited against the Jews before immagration and before the Holocaust. There are over 1 million Mizrakhi (im one of them) Jews in israel who have always been in the holy land. This counters the (there all from europe line) jews have always lived in the holy land.

There are polls that say its less than 50%. All these polls are very inaccruate.

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 07:22 PM
There are polls that say its less than 50%. All these polls are very inaccruate.
Well, according to CNN most of the Lebanese do regard Hezbollah as their heroes. Lebanese politicians (esp Christian ones are alligning) themselves with Nasrallah as a political strategy.

According to a poll released by the "Beirut Center for Research and Information" on 26 July during 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict, 87 percent of Lebanese support Hezbollah's fight with Israel, a rise of 29 percent on a similar poll conducted in February. More striking, however, is the level of support for Hezbollah's resistance from non-Shiite communities. Eighty percent of Christians polled supported Hezbollah along with 80 percent of Druze and 89 percent of Sunnis.[161][162], while according to another poll, from July 2005, 74 percent of Christian Lebanese viewed Hezbollah as a resistance organization.[163]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hezboll...s_of_Hezbollah

Similarly, only 28% of Israelis (polling) believe Israel won the war against Hezbollah.

arabiyyah
09-01-2006, 07:24 PM
who would align with a man who shoots rockets at homes? just because israel does it, im not going to lower myself to support muslims doing it. follow the quran not a bomb making book!!!

arabiyyah
09-01-2006, 07:24 PM
support peace. :)

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 07:26 PM
who would align with a man who shoots rockets at homes? just because israel does it, im not going to lower myself to support muslims doing it. follow the quran not a bomb making book!!!
So Hezbollah has no right to defend it's country? Irael with their f16s and rockets killed over 800 civilians (esp children). Hezbollah killed more IDF soldiers than civilians. Who do you think the terrorists are now?

http://israelfails.ytmnd.com/

wilberhum
09-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Who do you think the terrorists are now?
Both of them.

Kidman
09-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Nasrallah didn't goof; Israel over-reacted and used the opportunity to destroy lebanon.

Kidman

i_m_tipu
09-01-2006, 07:57 PM
So Hezbollah has no right to defend it's country? Irael with their f16s and rockets killed over 800 civilians (esp children). Hezbollah killed more IDF soldiers than civilians. Who do you think the terrorists are now?

a little correction over 1000 people killed mostly civilians.

over 130000 (thireen hounderd thousand building are boomed). (source BBC)

lands , roads , bridges, airport, sea, fuel tanks, electrical power plants, factories (food industry), warehouses, dams school, TV/radio stations, churchs, mosques, hospitals, civil defense center, un base all bombed.

using wmd cause serious damage and suffer to civillian.

u must not forget those bomb are soundly guided by radio frequency.

and it proves Isreal are fully aware of all the bombing.
all the bombing are intentional.

a little details
http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...006-a.html#top

lavikor201
09-01-2006, 08:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kidman
Nasrallah didn't goof; Israel over-reacted and used the opportunity to destroy lebanon.

Kidman
So Nasralla is wrong? isn't he your hero... your hero admitted it!

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Even Ehud Olmert admitted he goofed.

lavikor201
09-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Even Ehud Olmert admitted he goofed.
Were not talking about Olmert. Your comment is like me saying apples are really bad, and then you who loves apples replying well grapes are bad also!

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Were not talking about Olmert. Your comment is like me saying apples are really bad, and then you who loves apples replying well grapes are bad also!
My points are:

1.) Nasrallah is the biggest winner from the conflict.
2.) Olmert goofed and may not be reelected.

ManchesterFolk
09-01-2006, 08:22 PM
My points are:

Nasrallah is the biggest winner even though he admitted he goofed, his country is in shambles, and the UN is now controlling hsi territory...

what a win for him!

brainiac
09-01-2006, 08:27 PM
My points are:
[

That's the difference between a democraticly elected official and a tyrant. The tyrant doesn't have to worry about winning or losing an election. He just installs himself to power, and if anyone doesn't like it, they go 'bye-bye'. But history shows tyrants usually meet a messy end. (like a laser guided bomb) I expect the same for Nasrallah.;D

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 08:30 PM
That's the difference between a democraticly elected official and a tyrant. The tyrant doesn't have to worry about winning or losing an election. He just installs himself to power, and if anyone doesn't like it, they go 'bye-bye'. But history shows tyrants usually meet a messy end. (like a laser guided bomb) I expect the same for Nasrallah.
George Bush and Ariel Sharon were tyrants. A tyrant is defined as a cruel and oppressive leader. Both fit this description. Thank God Ariel is suffering as a vegatable! He deserved it. As you're right about tyrants meeting messy ends. Only time will tell us when Israel and USA will fall harder than the Roman Empire.

ManchesterFolk
09-01-2006, 08:33 PM
George Bush and Ariel Sharon were tyrants. A tyrant is defined as a cruel and oppressive leader. Both fit this description. Thank God Ariel is suffering as a vegatable! He deserved it. As you're right about tyrants meeting messy ends. Only time will tell us when Israel and USA will fall harder than the Roman Empire.
Shows you know the English language now... A tyrant ruler is one that has 'absolute power' as used in the context braniac used it in...

Did Sharon have absolute power???? No.

Ghazi
09-01-2006, 08:35 PM

This whole thread is biased, It's the west who have goofed with their current foreign policy.

ManchesterFolk
09-01-2006, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

This whole thread is biased, It's the west who have goofed with their current foreign policy.
That is right... Nasrallah says he goofed... and this thread is biased... are you still talking?

brainiac
09-01-2006, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

Now the whole thread is bad ?! That's funny !! :giggling: ;D :giggling: ;D

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Shows you know the English language now... A tyrant ruler is one that has 'absolute power' as used in the context braniac used it in...

Did Sharon have absolute power???? No.
Looks like you dont know much English yourself. Does Hassan Nasharallah have absolute power?? NO.

brainiac
09-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Looks like you dont know much English yourself. Does Hassan Nasharallah have absolute power?? NO.

Over Hezbollah, yes.

ManchesterFolk
09-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Oh he doesn't? suprising ... his representitives never aproved of the kidnapping. it was a direct order from the tyrant himself.

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Oh he doesn't? suprising ... his representitives never aproved of the kidnapping. it was a direct order from the tyrant himself.
LOL, he is a leader of an ORGANIZATION, not a COUNTRY. Please go use a dictionary. Your posts are killing my brain cells.

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brainiac
Over Hezbollah, yes.
Hezbollah is not a country.

brainiac
09-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Hezbollah is not a country.

But they are the cowards who started the war.

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 08:55 PM
But they are the cowards who started the war.
Wow...strong diversion off the discussion. I guess you were technically wrong for calling Nasrallah a tyrant :D. Do you need the meaning of "cowards" too?? You tend to use words in the wrong context LOL

brainiac
09-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Wow...strong diversion off the discussion. I guess you were technically wrong for calling Nasrallah a tyrant :D. Do you need the meaning of "cowards" too?? You tend to use words in the wrong context LOL

No 'diversion' off the subject. You are 'seeing' something that isn't there. This thread is about Nasrallah screwing up. This is relevant because he is the tyrant who runs Hezbollah, the cowards who started the war. My context is just fine, thank you. If you're having trouble following, read a little slower. ;D

QuranStudy
09-01-2006, 09:38 PM
No 'diversion' off the subject. You are 'seeing' something that isn't there. This thread is about Nasrallah screwing up. This is relevant because he is the tyrant who runs Hezbollah, the cowards who started the war. My context is just fine, thank you. If you're having trouble following, read a little slower.
You are making the same mistake again.

1.) Nasrallah is the leader of Hezbollah. How is a tyrant. I dont see him oppressing anyone. Get a dictionary.

2.) Apparently "Nasrallah screwing up" cannot be backed.

3.) Look at your definition of "coward." From my understanding even the IDF acknowledged that Hezbollah had balls (unlike them).

4.) Your context is not fine. You should think before you type. Otherwise, you look like a fool :D

Muezzin
09-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Nasrallah is the head of the organisation Hezbollah. He is not Lebanon's head of state.

Now that's out of the way, can we continue discussing the topic at hand before I'm forced to delete some posts?

brainiac
09-02-2006, 02:19 AM
You are making the same mistake again.

1.) Nasrallah is the leader of Hezbollah. How is a tyrant. I dont see him oppressing anyone. Get a dictionary.

2.) Apparently "Nasrallah screwing up" cannot be backed.

3.) Look at your definition of "coward." From my understanding even the IDF acknowledged that Hezbollah had balls (unlike them).

4.) Your context is not fine. You should think before you type. Otherwise, you look like a fool :D

You don't need to be the leader of a country to be a tyrant. Nasrallah has managed to oppress all those Lebanese by having Hezbollah kidnap the soldiers and starting the war, therefore bringing strife to the Lebanese people. Not to mention shooting rockets from neighbourhoods. And there are parts of southern Lebanon that the Lebonese army hasn't visited in twenty years because Hezbollah won't let them. And as far as Nasrallah 'screwing up', he admits this. Read the first post of this thread. :D

QuranStudy
09-02-2006, 02:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by brainiac
You don't need to be the leader of a country to be a tyrant. Nasrallah has managed to oppress all those Lebanese by having Hezbollah kidnap the soldiers and starting the war, therefore bringing strife to the Lebanese people.
And yet 87% of Lebanese back Hezbollah. 80% of LEBANESE Christians support Nasrallah after the war. Nasrallah is far from being a tyrant.

Not to mention shooting rockets from neighbourhoods.
Ah yes, another myth debunked from the Qana Massacre 2.

And there are parts of southern Lebanon that the Lebonese army hasn't visited in twenty years because Hezbollah won't let them. And as far as Nasrallah 'screwing up', he admits this. Read the first post of this thread.
He felt remorse for the innocent deaths. Doesnt mean he screwed up at all. He's being human. Olmert admitted he screwed up but shows no remorse. Also, the Lebanese army strong support Hezbollah (60% of the army are Shiite Muslims and the most of the remaining Christians respect Hezbollah as well).

Moral of the story: Smoking pot results in adverse effect on the body, as you exemplify.

brainiac
09-02-2006, 02:45 AM
...Moral of the story: Smoking pot results in adverse effect on the body, as you exemplify.

Sticks and stones... Where are you going with that, dude ?:)

brainiac
09-02-2006, 02:48 AM
...BEIRUT, Lebanon - Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah said in a TV interview aired Sunday that he would not have ordered the capture of two Israeli soldiers if he had known it would lead to such a war...:

Duh !! Where was HIS head ?;D

QuranStudy
09-02-2006, 02:50 AM
Sticks and stones... Where are you going with that, dude ?
Make fire??

Duh !! Where was HIS head ?
Interesting...from a mishap to a success story for Hezbollah.

brainiac
09-02-2006, 02:54 AM
[QUOTE=QuranStudy;475263]...He felt remorse for the innocent deaths.../QUOTE]

He should feel remorse. Look at all the trouble he's caused ! He has Lebanese and Israeli blood on his hands because of his huge 'miscalculation'.

QuranStudy
09-02-2006, 03:00 AM
He should feel remorse. Look at all the trouble he's caused ! He has Lebanese and Israeli blood on his hands because of his huge 'miscalculation'.
So feeling remore is a drawback? Hezbollah killed less than 30 civilians, Israelis killed about 1000. LOL, enjoy your Zionist wet dream. It'll comfort you from reality :D

brainiac
09-02-2006, 03:03 AM
.. enjoy your Zionist wet dream...

That is the second sexual comment you've made to me in the last five minutes ! What's up with that, dude ? You got a problem, man. :uuh:

QuranStudy
09-02-2006, 03:06 AM
That is the second sexual comment you've made to me in the last five minutes ! What's up with that, dude ? You got a problem, man.
It's apparent that you get excited thinking about Nasrallah and his beard.

brainiac
09-02-2006, 03:12 AM
It's apparent that you get excited thinking about Nasrallah and his beard.

I'm more of a 'neatly trimmed Ahmadinejad' type of guy. Why does he remind me a little of Ringo?. :giggling:

Ninth_Scribe
09-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Not meaning to stomp out a good flame or anything, but Ariel Sharon did one of the most impressive 180 degree turns I'd seen in history. I doubt I'll find very much cooperation with Omert... back to the drawing board. Sigh.

Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
09-03-2006, 11:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by arabiyyah
You're confusing things a bit. We don't go off on the soldiers because they were given orders to defend their people. That's just what soldiers do. And we don't call soldiers, murderers, because they follow their orders. It's always the failure of the leadership that causes wars. The soldiers lay their lives on the line, whether they agree or disagree with the cause of a given war. I can't handle it when I hear people dissing the soldiers... anyone's soldiers. No matter what may be said to the contrary, there is no way to make surgically precise strikes during a war.

Ninth Scribe

S_87
09-04-2006, 10:52 AM
i dont see it as him admitting he goofed but rather him caring about his fellow citizens

Ninth_Scribe
09-04-2006, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
i dont see it as him admitting he goofed but rather him caring about his fellow citizens
The admission is supported when he said he would not have arrested the two soldiers had he known that Israel would have launched such a devestating counter-offensive. This display of humility sent a powerful message, along with the actions that followed, that proved he cared deeply for his people. He took the stick for his part in the horrible picture... while Israel scoffed at him. Scoffing about the death of over a thousand civilians... well, that also sent a message. In terms of human Grace, something I didn't think existed, Nasrallah mopped the floor with Israel!

Israel, in this instance, just condoned the actions of Abu Musab Al Zarqawi.

Ninth Scribe

brainiac
09-04-2006, 04:51 PM
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/n...l/15434938.htm

Posted on Mon, Sep. 04,

Hezbollah lost credibility in Lebanon
Charles Krauthammer is a columnist with the Washington Post Writers Group

"We did not think, even 1 percent, that the capture would lead to a war at this time and of this magnitude. You ask me, if I had known on July 11... that the operation would lead to such a war, would I do it? I say no, absolutely not."

- Hasan Nasrallah,

Hezbollah leader, Aug. 27

So much for the "strategic and historic victory" Nasrallah had claimed less than two weeks earlier. What real victor declares that, had he known, he would not have started the war that ended in triumph?

Nasrallah's admission, vastly underplayed in the West, makes clear what the Lebanese already knew. Hezbollah may have won the propaganda war, but on the ground it lost. Badly.

True, under the inept and indecisive leadership of Ehud Olmert, Israel did miss the opportunity to militarily destroy Hezbollah and make it a nonfactor in Israel's security, Lebanon's politics, and Iran's foreign policy. Nonetheless, Hezbollah was seriously hurt. It lost hundreds of its best fighters. A deeply entrenched infrastructure on Israel's border is in ruins. The great hero has had to go so deep into hiding that Nasrallah has been called "the underground mullah."

Most important, Hezbollah's political gains within Lebanon during the war have proved illusory. As the dust settles, the Lebanese are furious at Hezbollah for provoking a war that brought them nothing but devastation - and then crowing about victory amid the ruins.

The Western press was once again taken in by the mystique of the "Arab street." The mob came out to cheer Hezbollah for raining rockets on Israel - surprise! - and the Arab governments that had initially criticized Hezbollah went conveniently silent. Now that the mob has gone home, Hezbollah is under renewed attack - in newspapers in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Egypt, as well as by many Lebanese, including influential Shiite academics and clan leaders. The Arabs know where their interests lie. And they do not lie with a Shiite militia that fights for Iran.

Even before the devastation, Hezbollah in the last election garnered only about 20 percent of the vote, hardly a mandate. Hezbollah has guns, however, and that is the source of its power. But now even that is threatened. Hence Nasrallah's admission. He knows that Lebanon, however weak its army, has a deep desire to disarm him and that the arrival of Europeans in force, however weak their mandate, will make impossible the rebuilding of the vast Maginot Line he spent six years constructing.

Which is why the expected Round Two will, in fact, not happen. Hezbollah is in no position, either militarily or politically, for another round. Nasrallah's admission that the war was a mistake is an implicit pledge not to repeat it, lest he be completely finished as a Lebanese political figure.

The Lebanese know that Israel bombed easy-to-repair airport runways when it could have destroyed the new airport terminal and set Lebanon back 10 years. The Lebanese know that Israel attacked the Hezbollah TV towers when it could have pulverized Beirut's power grid, a billion-dollar reconstruction. The Lebanese know that next time Israel's leadership will hardly be as hesitant and restrained. Hezbollah dares not risk that next time.

Even more important is the shift once again in the internal Lebanese balance of power. With Nasrallah weakened, the other major factions are closing in around him. Even his major Christian ally, Michel Aoun, has called for Hezbollah's disarmament. The March 14 democratic movement has regained the upper hand and, with outside help, could marginalize Hezbollah.

In a country this weak, outsiders can be decisive. A strong European presence in the south, serious U.S. training and equipment for the Lebanese army, and relentless pressure at the United Nations can tip the balance. We should be especially aggressive at the U.N. in pursuing the investigation of Syria for the Rafiq Hariri murder and in implementing resolutions mandating the disarmament of Hezbollah.

It was just a year and a half ago that the democrats of the March 14 movement expelled Syria from Lebanon and rose to power, marking the apogee of the American democratization project in the region. Nasrallah's temporary rise during the just-finished war marked that project's nadir. Nasrallah's crowing added to the general despair in Washington about a rising "Shiite crescent" stretching from Tehran to Beirut.

In fact, Hezbollah was seriously set back, as was Iran. In the Middle East, however, promising moments pass quickly. This one needs to be seized. We must pretend that Security Council Resolution 1701 was meant to be implemented, and exert unrelieved pressure on behalf of those Lebanese - a large majority - who want to do the implementing.

;D

Ninth_Scribe
09-05-2006, 05:08 PM
True... but I would rather have Ariel Sharon back in action. He was gaining so much ground!

Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
09-05-2006, 05:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
Lavikor, please! Ariel Sharon admitted he was wrong also, and he set about resolving those poor decisions he made in his earlier years. Have you any idea how HARD that is to do???

Believe me, a little humility goes a very long way here on Earth.

Ninth Scribe

lavikor201
09-05-2006, 07:56 PM
This display of humility sent a powerful message, along with the actions that followed, that proved he cared deeply for his people.
Yet it is his fault the conflict started.

I'm sure "Saddam" cared about his people to...

Ninth_Scribe
09-05-2006, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
Yet it is his fault the conflict started.

I'm sure "Saddam" cared about his people to...
Not his exact wording but, yes. Let's not get started on Saddam. As I said before, we've all done stupid things. I judged against him soley because I was ticked off by the idol of his likeness in Baghdad. In retrospect, I still don't understand why that bothered me so much... but I failed to investigate the Iraqi Freedom campaign because I wanted to see it torn down. Some weird part of me ignored the obvious.

Ninth Scribe

therebbe
09-07-2006, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
Not his exact wording but, yes. Let's not get started on Saddam. As I said before, we've all done stupid things. I judged against him soley because I was ticked off by the idol of his likeness in Baghdad. In retrospect, I still don't understand why that bothered me so much... but I failed to investigate the Iraqi Freedom campaign because I wanted to see it torn down. Some weird part of me ignored the obvious.

Ninth Scribe
I judge him as the murderer of thousands Kurds gased... But do you glorify him for this?

Ninth_Scribe
09-07-2006, 07:51 PM
I judge him as the murderer of thousands Kurds gased... But do you glorify him for this?
I didn't say I glorified him. I was actually saying I felt badly because I knew next to nothing about him and I felt weird that I went off on him the way I did, just because I saw a statue of him in Baghdad! I still haven't figured out why that bothered me so much, but it had a powerful reaction that sent me 20 claws into the ceiling! I wanted the thing destroyed... I even twacked a mock up of it off my coffee table. The Middle East drives me nuts like that sometimes. What I see in certain people and how I react to them would shock a psychologist!

Ninth Scribe

Vishnu
09-07-2006, 07:54 PM
The ME drives you nuts? We have something in common!

Muezzin
09-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Off-topic posts drive me nuts...

Vishnu
09-07-2006, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Off-topic posts drive me nuts...
lol :p sorry. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.