/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ruling on eating crops and fruits that grow at the side of the road

glo
09-05-2006, 07:41 AM
This Q&A caught my eye.

Now harvest time is here, I love to gather fruit from the hedgerows (cherries, apples, plums, blackberries) to make pies, fruit stews, jams (ermmm, yes ... and wine)
I get great pleasure out of harvesting what God has provided free for us.

Does anybody else share that interest?

Question:
What is the ruling on eating from public property such as trees that are planted at the side of the road and on government property?.
Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

There is nothing wrong with eating from trees that are planted at the side of the road, because they are public property belonging to all the Muslims, and the fact that they are left with no fence or guards is an indication that permission is given to eat from them.

[...]
For whole answer, follow link at the bottom of main page.

peace :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
09-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Peace.

cherries never reach me, the birds eat them and kiddos somehow like them sour. >_< and the apples and plums are eaten out :lol:

the Fatwa you have quoted was saying though, that you cant collect the fruits, just eat as you are passing.

glo
09-05-2006, 11:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
Peace.
the Fatwa you have quoted was saying though, that you cant collect the fruits, just eat as you are passing.
Actually, after re-reading the whole answer it doesn't seem so clear anymore:
There is nothing wrong with eating from the plants and crops that are found at the side of the road, and which do not belong to anyone, or eating from gardens that are privately-owned, subject to the conditions mentioned above.
Does that mean, fruit from hedgerows and public land (which doesn't belong to anybody per se) can be freely eaten?
The conditions mentioned relate to fruit growing on private land, which can only be eaten from
1) if one is hungry,
2) if possible with the owners permission, and only
3)if the propery isn't fenced in ...

That's how I understand it, anyway.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.