PDA

View Full Version : Queen Mary University



seeker_of_ilm
09-12-2006, 06:14 PM
:sl:

Well basically...time to fill out Ucas applications is getting closer and closer. I am thinking of applying to Queen Mary University London, but I have a few questions first insha'allah.

1) I gather its in East London, how far is the University from East London Mosque?
2) Are there madrasas/evening classes, for a person to complete Hifz, in East London..preferably close by.
3) One of the major reasons I don't want to go out of my city for University, is the amount of Fitnah, and also, the fact that I would have to stay on campus, therefore sharing facilities with possibly women as well. Any suggestions to get around this?
4) Is there a strong muslim community in East London?

So can anyone answer my questions Insha'allah?

:w:
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Helena
09-12-2006, 06:24 PM
1) I gather its in East London, how far is the University from East London Mosque?
well the university is in mileend....so roughly if u walk it to the mosque wud be rougly 15-2omins...if fast walker...den half an hour...but also u can take the bus number 25....that stops right outside the mosque...with the bus its 10 mins.....about 3-4 stops....

2) Are there madrasas/evening classes, for a person to complete Hifz, in East London..preferably close by.
hifz classes...alhamdulilah there shud be....there are many mosques can be found in east london...two in stepney geen...and there is east london mosque...am sure there is evening classes....i cud find out for u.....my dads a imam at stepney green masjid....if not i could give the number of east london mosque or stepney green mosque...u can find it out urself inshalah....theres also ibrahim college...dunno if that can help ya...

3) One of the major reasons I don't want to go out of my city for University, is the amount of Fitnah, and also, the fact that I would have to stay on campus, therefore sharing facilities with possibly women as well. Any suggestions to get around this?
wot do u exactly mean?

4) Is there a strong muslim community in East London?
alhamdulilah there is.....full of bengali muslims down there....alhamdulilah there shudnt be a prob....

one more thing which course u applying for?
Reply

chacha_jalebi
09-12-2006, 06:54 PM
salaam

yeh queen marys mashallah, they have a madrassah right on mile end road, but its like a mission to walk down the road, :p so 25 bus, towards ilford, theres a madrasah der :D its hevy :p

erm erm bro wherever you go there will be fitnah, it depends on yaself and your intentions innit, jus keep it real and woo hoo :D:D:D:D
Reply

seeker_of_ilm
09-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by HAJI_HELENA
well the university is in mileend....so roughly if u walk it to the mosque wud be rougly 15-2omins...if fast walker...den half an hour...but also u can take the bus number 25....that stops right outside the mosque...with the bus its 10 mins.....about 3-4 stops....

wot do u exactly mean?


one more thing which course u applying for?

:sl:

What I mean is, the fact that I would be staying on campus, would mean that I would ultimately be in a shared room system thing, where I'd get my own room, but the facilities like Kitchen, seating area is shared usually, so I could even end up having to share with a non-mahram woman. So I was just wondering if there was ways I could avoid this.

About the course I will be applying for...I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of studying for a maths degree! :uuh:

:w:
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
amirah_87
09-12-2006, 07:13 PM
As salaamu aalykum,

4) Is there a strong muslim community in East London?
I believe IN East London we have one of the strongest muslim communties in London.. MashaAllah

Right Guys?? :)

yeh queen marys mashallah, they have a madrassah right on mile end road,:p but its like a mission to walk down the road, so 25 bus, towards ilford, theres a madrasah der :D its hevy :p
Lol @ mission to walk down Mile End road.. I know what you mean!! ;D
Reply

Helena
09-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm
:sl:

What I mean is, the fact that I would be staying on campus, would mean that I would ultimately be in a shared room system thing, where I'd get my own room, but the facilities like Kitchen, seating area is shared usually, so I could even end up having to share with a non-mahram woman. So I was just wondering if there was ways I could avoid this.

About the course I will be applying for...I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of studying for a maths degree! :uuh:

:w:
ohhhh...so basically ur plannning to stay in da campus...how to avoid dat...am not too sure....u gotta discuss wid the ppl incharge there inshalah....am sure there will be fellow muslims brother der...inshalah....

woah...maths...that is...:uuh: :uuh: :uuh: ........all the best bro.....as long as u enjoy da course that matters.....

career plans?
Reply

seeker_of_ilm
09-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by amirah_87
As salaamu aalykum,

I believe IN East London we have one of the strongest muslim communties in London.. MashaAllah
:sl:

Thats good to hear, cos if I am going to be away from home for University....it would be nice to be surrounded by muslims and masjids. Are there any Masjids near QMUL?

:w:
Reply

InToTheRain
09-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm
:sl:

Thats good to hear, cos if I am going to be away from home for University....it would be nice to be surrounded by muslims and masjids. Are there any Masjids near QMUL?

:w:
:sl:

Ye there is a masjib near stepney green station, its actually closer to the student residents then the station. Its literally 1 mins walk from student campus in mileend. Its refurbished also and madrasah students study there so you can take can take courses inshallah.

One of the other possitive sides of going to the uni other then those mentioned already is the huge selection of chicken & chips takeaways/restaurants you have there :D

:w:
Reply

seeker_of_ilm
09-12-2006, 07:55 PM
:sl:

Jazakallah for all the replies...I'm happy on the masjid/islamic side of things. Now remains the problem of accomodation *sigh*
Reply

amirah_87
09-12-2006, 07:58 PM
As salaamu aalykum,

Wa Iyyaaka Akhee, hope everything works out for you InshaAllah!! :peace:
Reply

Helena
09-12-2006, 08:05 PM
oh yeah...if u didnt knw......there are prayer room in da uni itself......to accomodate student need....so inshalah u can pray der if u dnt wanna travel far from da uni......am sure there is islamic society there too....inshalah there will be islamic events held in da uni...obvioulsy there will be jummah pray held in da uni.....

coz i remember going into da prayer room wid my friend.....yes yes the room and wudhu room are separated for both men and women....

and def da food around da uni are great....u wont miss anything inshalah...food will be easily available...try barakah nxt to east london mosque...love dat...and one in green street called thrill grill even better...loadsa PFC, kebabish resturant der......
Reply

InToTheRain
09-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by HAJI_HELENA
oh yeah...if u didnt knw......there are prayer room in da uni itself......to accomodate student need....so inshalah u can pray der if u dnt wanna travel far from da uni......am sure there is islamic society there too....inshalah there will be islamic events held in da uni...obvioulsy there will be jummah pray held in da uni.....

coz i remember going into da prayer room wid my friend.....yes yes the room and wudhu room are separated for both men and women....

and def da food around da uni are great....u wont miss anything inshalah...food will be easily available...try barakah nxt to east london mosque...love dat...and one in green street called thrill grill even better...loadsa PFC, kebabish resturant der......
There are prayer rooms for both brothers and sisters there. The Uni accomodates the Jamat prayer by giving a bigger hall for prayer and of course theres is the Islamic events etc which happen in uni. There is an islamic society and no probs for food during ramadan. They make space in the cafeteria for brothers and sisters to break theer fast and they used to get funds to by food to break theie fast... Dont know if the funds are still given :?

My personal fave place to eat while in uni was RealTaste (chicken, biryani, kebabs etc)
Reply

Umm Yoosuf
09-12-2006, 08:27 PM
:w:

1) I gather its in East London, how far is the University from East London Mosque?
East London is not that far...although the nearest Masjid to Queen Mary is Al-Huda Masjid. There are Quranic classes for brothers also study circles Masha Allah.

:w:
Reply

Helena
09-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by WnbSlveOfAllah
There are prayer rooms for both brothers and sisters there. The Uni accomodates the Jamat prayer by giving a bigger hall for prayer and of course theres is the Islamic events etc which happen in uni. There is an islamic society and no probs for food during ramadan. They make space in the cafeteria for brothers and sisters to break theer fast and they used to get funds to by food to break theie fast... Dont know if the funds are still given :?

My personal fave place to eat while in uni was RealTaste (chicken, biryani, kebabs etc)
HOPE THIS helpa bro seeker_ilm_.....real taste is good too.....hmmmmm....inshalah u'll enjoy it bro...prayer facilities are available for u...food resturants is there...transports is near by there.....sainsbury near by.....dnt worry...everything will go fine inshalah...
Reply

seeker_of_ilm
09-12-2006, 08:44 PM
:sl:

Jazakallah to everyone for the help! Its been interesting, and I'm more convinced that East Londons the place to go. And I guess I'll have to keep looking for a way round the shared accoomodation thing.
Reply

Helena
09-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm
:sl:

Jazakallah to everyone for the help! Its been interesting, and I'm more convinced that East Londons the place to go. And I guess I'll have to keep looking for a way round the shared accoomodation thing.
no problemo anytime bro......yeah guess the accomodation is da prob....let us knw wots happening...if any problem occur....

how long dse ur course run for? ur career path?
Reply

seeker_of_ilm
09-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by HAJI_HELENA
no problemo anytime bro......yeah guess the accomodation is da prob....let us knw wots happening...if any problem occur....

how long dse ur course run for? ur career path?
:sl:

The Mathematics Degree runs for 3 years. And at the end....my career path will be to either work in Engineering/Finance....but most likely teaching insha'allah.

:w:
Reply

Helena
09-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm
:sl:

The Mathematics Degree runs for 3 years. And at the end....my career path will be to either work in Engineering/Finance....but most likely teaching insha'allah.

:w:

woah another teacher..mashalah.....am planning to be a primary teacher inshalah...another 2yr to go......
Reply

seeker_of_ilm
09-13-2006, 06:43 PM
:sl:

Alhamdulillah I've found out on the QMUL Accomodation site, that they do have same sex rooms available if a person requires!

So Insha'allah QMUL here I come.
Reply

Helena
09-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm
:sl:

Alhamdulillah I've found out on the QMUL Accomodation site, that they do have same sex rooms available if a person requires!

So Insha'allah QMUL here I come.
Alhamdulilah good to hear bro.......ur concern has been solved......good luck wid ur course.....hope u pass wid flying colours inshalah....dnt stress urself too much..jus focus and enjoy urself........
Reply

MH-UK
09-21-2006, 12:09 PM
:sl:

QMUL ISOC is absolutely fantastic Alhumdullilah.

Was at the fresher's fayre yesterday...
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 12:14 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 10:21 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 09:59 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 05:36 PM
HeartHijab.com | Hijab Sale | Pound Shop | UK Wholesale Certified Face Masks, Hand Sanitiser & PPE

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!