/* */

PDA

View Full Version : University Open day - help get more Muslim youth into Higher Education!

Helena
09-13-2006, 06:20 PM
:sl:

"Why do I need to go to University? I can just drop out of school and become a plumber or sell cigarettes from the back of a van. Anyway, everyone who goes to Uni ends up working in Sainsburys so whats the point?" Quote from a Muslim ex-student

We've come along way from the heady days of Ibn Sina and the House of Wisdom. Muslims are under educated, more likely to be unqualified and ignorant in every sense of the word than any other sector of society. So how do we change this? The ULU ISoc careers feast is an attempt by University students to help 6th formers get into University with workshops, lectures and a mentoring system.

Please find attached the poster (to stick up at your local school or mosque) and a short document if you're interested in helping us change the situation. Please spread the word...

ULU ISoc Annual Careers Feast

- Help with your Personal Statement
- Interview practise (for your degree or a job)
- Help with specific courses like Law, Medicine, Economics and Dentistry
- Advice on life at University
- Tips on how to handle your finances
- Study skills workshop
- One to one time with individuals from your chosen profession

Date: Wed. 4th October 2006 (Ramadan)
Time: 1:30 - 5:00pm (Please be on time!)
Venue: UCL
Room: Chemistry Auditorium, Chrsitopher Ingold Building
Nearest Tube: Euston
Directions: http://www.grad.ucl.ac.uk/maps/image...p1&x=747&y=264
Note: The event will be segregated inshaAllah

Other ULU ISoc Projects

If you're interested in any of our other projects, please contact us & see if you can help in anyway. This year "Charity Week for Orphans" comes in the last ten days of Ramadan, so hopefully we'll try harder to better the £133,000 raised last year! The "Careers Factory" show on Islam Channel is taking the goal of getting more Muslims into higher education to another level and our Annual Dinner (8th of Nov.) will inshaAllah be a chance for everyone to unwind to good food and even better talks...

JazakAllah khairun,
Your ULU ISoc Team
(The University of London Union Islamic Society Network)

Hope those who are applying for uni nxt year or this year.....this shud be beneficial/helpful inshalah.....:)

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
09-13-2006, 06:31 PM

Whats wrong with Sainsburys lol.

Helena
09-13-2006, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

erm i dunno........mayb students are ashmed to work there......

chacha_jalebi
09-13-2006, 06:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

yeh lol :p and whats wrong with a plumber & selling things of the back of a lorry :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lolwatever
09-14-2006, 11:13 AM
^ actually i always thought das ur profession :X till i saw that u done BM at uni :p

:D:D:D

Helena
09-14-2006, 07:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
^ actually i always thought das ur profession :X till i saw that u done BM at uni :p

:D:D:D
huh.....:? :? :? ....wot are u guys talking about....oh well.....

jus wanted to knw...wot u think about the open day?.......

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.