/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Wings of a Fly

Umm Yoosuf
09-13-2006, 09:09 PM
:sl:

Question:

Just how authentic is the Hadeeth,

"Indeed, in one wing of the fly is the disease, and in the other is the antidote." (Abu Dawud no. 3844 and Al-Bukhari no. 3320, 5782)

Answer:

This Hadeeth, which is related by Al-Bukhari on the authority of Abu Hurairah, may Allaah be pleased with him, is authentic, and Abu Dawud recorded it with the addition:

"Indeed what is in its wings contains the antidote." (Abu Dawud no. 3844 and Al-Bukhari no. 3320, 5782)

And modern medicine attests to its meaning.
Some people may not feel up to drinking the contents after dipping the fly into the glass, and if they do not feel like drinking, they should not be forced, because a person is not ordered to eat or drink that which disgusts him. In an authentic hadeeth, the Prophet (sallAllaahu `alayhi wa sallam) permitted others to eat a lizard, but he didn't eat it himself: he said,

"Indeed it is not from the land of my people, so I have a dislike for it." (Al-Bukhari no. 5537 and Muslim no. 1946)

Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-`Uthaymeen
Fatawa Islamiyah, Vol. 7, Page 161, DARUSSALAM

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
09-13-2006, 10:06 PM
I think ages ago br Akulion (or was it sum1 else?) got some Uni to do some research on it and it proved true. SubhanAllah.

Mawaddah
09-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Oooh I know it's true subhanallah but I just feel a tad too queasy to drink something after I've just finished dunking a fly in it :X

I'd just give it to someone who didn't know what just took place in the cup ;D

lolwatever
09-14-2006, 06:26 AM
oh yeh a research was done about that yeears ago... my parents told me when i was like 6yrs old about that :D

laa yu'minu a7adukum 7atta yu7ibbu liAkeehi maa yu7ibbu li Nafsih :p
:lol:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
09-14-2006, 08:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah

:lol: im glad you live on the other side of the world sis, that way i dont have to worry about you offering me a drink :p

um but i agree i couldnt drink it, as if i care about the disease and stuff, i would drink it cos its just yukk

amirah_87
09-14-2006, 12:22 PM
As salaamu aalykum,

SubhanAllah it's amazing how one wing carries the Disease and the other its antidote!!..

that is soo typical of you, last time I ever eat/drink sumthing you've given me :p, you sure ain't done anything to me already!!? :? ;D

laa yu'minu a7adukum 7atta yu7ibbu liAkheehi maa yu7ibbu li Nafsih
Nice one, I could'nt have said it any better!! :D

The Ruler
09-14-2006, 12:28 PM

nyc...wil rememba dat n wil use it ta cure sum o ma patients insha'allah wen i bcum a doc :Evil:

:w:

------
09-14-2006, 12:35 PM
edit

Mawaddah
09-14-2006, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
laa yu'minu a7adukum 7atta yu7ibbu liAkheehi maa yu7ibbu li Nafsih :p
Nice advice lol......but it's not like i'm giving him something bad is it? :D

lolwatever
09-14-2006, 12:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
:rolleyes:
n the one whom u gv it... will like it if he/she comes to know wat was given ? :X
depends who.. im sure you'd enjoy fly flavored water compared to standard water or lolwater :D

09-16-2006, 10:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
depends who.. im sure you'd enjoy fly flavored water compared to standard water or lolwater :D
lol :D

i probably wouldn't drink it... depends how big the fly is :p

Woodrow
09-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Now I'm remembering something that they used to say when I was living in Louisiana. I don't know if any of you are familiar with raisin pie, but in some parts of Louisiana it is almost as popular as pecan pie. Very sweet and sticky, made with lots of sugar and raisins. Attract a lot of flies in the summer time.

The people say "When you are eating raisin pie don't worry about flies, just think of them as raisins with wings."

09-16-2006, 11:01 AM
raisins with wings? what about the crunching bits? ew.. :hiding:

Mawaddah
09-16-2006, 11:03 AM
^ Oh Subhanallah that's so funny sis ;D ;D

But if you dont know it, I'll tell you now, Flies aren't crunchy, just mooshy, and easy to mix up with raisin pie :p

Woodrow
09-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Now to tie my post back into the topic before it goes too far. I have never heard of any disease out braks cause by people eating a few flies in with the raisin pie. I am not going to advocate we should start eating flies. But, it does seem there is quite a bit of evidence supporting that hadeeth.

Oddly enough I know a fly walking across food and then flying off will leave unhealthy germs and can spread disease. But, the more I think about it I have not seen any evidence of disease being spread by flies that actually fall into the food. Now it that holds up to be true, the only difference would be the flies wings also being in the food and not just it's legs or body.

09-16-2006, 11:29 AM
I wonder have U ever eaten a fly? If the hadith says somethign then i would never deny it.. it just does't appeal to me. And it didn't say eating a fly - it's just if a fly falls in ur drink.

lolwatever
09-16-2006, 11:33 AM
^ lol the hadith doesnt 4ce u to drink the water if a fly had a dip... its a general rule that there's no compulsion in eating something that disgusts you :)

tc salamz

Woodrow
09-16-2006, 11:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma1
I wonder have U ever eaten a fly? If the hadith says somethign then i would never deny it.. it just does't appeal to me. And it didn't say eating a fly - it's just if a fly falls in ur drink.
I don't recall ever intentionaly eating one but, living here in the south I would suspect that I have most likely swallowed a few, especialy when eating out doors.

Muslim Knight
09-17-2006, 05:33 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah

"Indeed what is in its wings contains the antidote." (Abu Dawud no. 3844 and Al-Bukhari no. 3320, 5782)

And modern medicine attests to its meaning.
I'd appreciate if someone could direct me to an article about this. Particularly how scientists affirm that fly's wings contains the antidote. Thank you in advance.

Woodrow
09-17-2006, 06:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight

I'd appreciate if someone could direct me to an article about this. Particularly how scientists affirm that fly's wings contains the antidote. Thank you in advance.

More recently, a Colorado State University Web site on entomology states, “Gnotobiotic [=germ-free] insects (Greenberg et al, 1970) were used to provide evidence of the bacterial pathogen-suppressing ability of the microbiota of Musca domestica [houseflies]” and “most relationships between insects and their microbiota remain undefined. Studies with gnotobiotic locusts suggest that the microbiota confers previously unexpected benefits for the insect host.”

So then, flies are not only pathogenic carriers but also carry microbiota that can be beneficent. These fly microbiota are bacteriophagic or germ-eating. Bacteriophages attack viruses and bacteria. They can be selected and bred to kill specific organisms. The viruses infect a bacterium, replicate and fill the bacterial cell with new copies of the virus, and then break through the bacterium’s cell wall, causing it to burst. The existence of similar bacteria-killing mechanisms in two bacteriophages suggests that antibiotics for human infections might be designed on the basis of these cell wall-destroying proteins (Science 292, June 2001, p. 2326-2329).
source: http://islamonline.net/English/Hadit...05/03/03.shtml

lolwatever
09-17-2006, 06:20 AM
^ biology :enough!:

jazaks tho.. subhanallah, now let them say the prophet got that of aristotle :giggling:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.