/* */

PDA

View Full Version : LI cgi academy.

lolwatever
09-15-2006, 11:47 AM
salamz every1

there's a few threads with ppl posting their design stuff... thought i'd start an actual educational thread for design, visual effects and anything to do with media (from word to maya)

so yeh feel free 2 ask questions... n we'll help :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
09-16-2006, 08:29 AM
:sl:

can you show us some of your work? ;D

Fishman
09-16-2006, 08:36 AM
It's a good time this was started! I've got some Bryce tips in my userpage, if anybody wants to learn them. Bryce is not that good on it's own, but if you augment it with other programs then you can get quality for much less than the big programs cost.
:w:

lolwatever
10-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Beginning:

middle :D

40 min later.... the end :D

feel free 2 ask questions :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
10-25-2006, 07:05 AM

Wicked! that looks so complicated....

lolwatever
10-25-2006, 07:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

Wicked! that looks so complicated....
:lol: looks r decieving ;)

the logic is simple.. u know those boxes connected 2 each other... the flow... basically it means... take the original image, brighten it, glow it, blur it, color correct it... output it... in a nutshell :D

ez innit :D

the other wave forms n histograms is just to make it even easier.. to analyse lighting situations n color blendings n tones n stuff.

salams

Fishman
10-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Is that thing you posted even CGI? Or is it 2D work?

It doesn't really matter, now that I have Fireworks I often enhance my 3D work with 2D effects.

lolwatever
10-25-2006, 09:30 AM
wats diff between 2D n 3D :rollseyes rnt they both classified as 'CGI' (comp genr8d imgry) ?

there's a bit of 3D there.... i created a fake z-channel to simulate the attenuation of the ambient light. :)

keep in mind matte paintings are 2.5D... its definately considered CG :D

salamz

Fishman
10-25-2006, 09:52 AM
What do you think is the worst CGI program you've used? And don't say Bryce!
I think it's Amapi 3. It's always crashing, keeps having stupid errors and has a completely rubbish interface.

lolwatever
10-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Amapi, not surprised, coz i never heard of it :D

worst program i used? :lol: yeh Bryce :hiding:

jokn.. ummm.... not sure... the way i see it.. every software has its pros n cons... the most least attractive to me... microsoft paint i guess :X

salamz

Fishman
10-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Some photoshop tutorials I found:
http://www.oman3d.com/tutorials/photoshop/mosque_draw/

Mujahidah4Allah
10-25-2006, 04:43 PM

the only word that makes sense to me here is photoshop

nice pic ukhti lollypop looks very nice :)

ma'salamah

Al-Zaara
10-25-2006, 04:45 PM

WOW bro lolly... :uuh:
That example you posted was just so cool!!!!

Though I really don't get what you and bro Fishman are talking about... :uhwhat

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-25-2006, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
salamz every1

there's a few threads with ppl posting their design stuff... thought i'd start an actual educational thread for design, visual effects and anything to do with media (from word to maya)

so yeh feel free 2 ask questions... n we'll help :D

hey brother is that summat u naturally good at or summat u study..:?

very interesting i've gotta say mashaAllah...:)

well for my A2 ICT assignment is based on MULTIMEDIA!!!...i'll be coming back soon...lol..for help!!!

i've played with photoshop when i did GCSE ART ...which was pretty cool... whats all them stuff below ur flower...bitmap stuff is it how much colour n stuff u add 2 it..:?:?...

Fishman
10-25-2006, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sum-Muslim-Gal

I started doing CGI at about ten, then lost the program. I have now got it back, along with loads of others.

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-25-2006, 06:31 PM

cool brother..so its a software u dowload to these wicked stuff..i kinda done it on photoshop ..but amsuming CGI is more updated...

Fishman
10-25-2006, 06:34 PM

cool brother..so its a software u dowload to these wicked stuff..i kinda done it on photoshop ..but amsuming CGI is more updated...

You have to buy good programs, most decent ones cost over one hundred quid. There are some exceptions, such as Bryce, Wings 3D and Paint.NET, but generally they are very costly.

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-25-2006, 06:40 PM

oh ok am not the one that buys these programmes..lol..am still a studnet cant afford it..heheh...no my brother i think he got a degree on computer sceince or something long them lines so back then all thses softwares he use to install for his degree work ...and we will be using them freely:D

but ive gotta say technology is increasingly popular nowadays..with all the latest gadgests n stuff like that...

lolwatever
10-25-2006, 07:31 PM

salams sis... :lol: i'm not naturally good at it hehe...... its not that hard really once u put ur mind 2 it inshalah.

I wanna get certified 4 it professionally inshalah..... maybe in a few years time when i finish curent studies, its only a few months course.

very interesting i've gotta say mashaAllah...:)
cool :D

well for my A2 ICT assignment is based on MULTIMEDIA!!!...i'll be coming back soon...lol..for help!!!
gr8 :D

i've played with photoshop when i did GCSE ART ...which was pretty cool... whats all them stuff below ur flower...bitmap stuff is it how much colour n stuff u add 2 it..:?:?...
U mean the histogram? the one with color spectrum thingyish? in short that just indicates saturation levels to an extent and gives information about luminance in the scene, in 2D form.... u can get 3D color spectrum information as well if the scene was shot with a camera that could detect 'z-depth' (imageine such thing xisted :happy: )

The greenish waves... that's the "waveform" of the image... it also gives special info about the image but i wotn get into it, n i must say its not dat useful.

all the best

lolwatever
10-25-2006, 07:32 PM

CGI just means 'computer generated iamgery'... CGI can be made using fotoshop, fusion, n tonnes of software (Even microsoft paint :heated: )

salamz :D

Fishman
10-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Paint is evil. Get Paint.NET!

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-25-2006, 07:40 PM

lol...ooh OK its the sasme thing right..photoshop n dat..COOL!!!

the colour thingy yeh got it now....:D

its that what u study in the fields of computing or summat if u dont mind me asking u dnt need to asnwer..

its pretty cool ive gotta say i think i should open up photshop n play with it n see what i can do!!!!
i thik its hard at 1st like u said bro..but u get use to it...

ok thanks..:D

all be thinking now what to do!!! u'll alll be impresssseddd!!!:D:D

lolwatever
10-25-2006, 07:42 PM

the colour thingy yeh got it now....:D

its that what u study in the fields of computing or summat if u dont mind me asking u dnt need to asnwer..
nah my field is toootally different to this CG bizness :D just like pass-tiem thingy2me :)

its pretty cool ive gotta say i think i should open up photshop n play with it n see what i can do!!!!
i thik its hard at 1st like u said bro..but u get use to it...
so tru

ok thanks..:D

all be thinking now what to do!!! u'll alll be impresssseddd!!!:D:D
all the best sis!

Fishman
10-25-2006, 07:55 PM

There are two main types of CGI, 2D and 3D. Things like photoshop are 2D, whilst things like what I have featured in my userpage are 3D.

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-25-2006, 07:56 PM

ooh OK ..So CGI is like more advanced...

well whateva it is i kinda get it now:rolleyes:....i think...

thanks bro..

lolwatever
10-25-2006, 08:00 PM
^ dont worry, cgi is just another term for picture.... :)

srsly.

salamz

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-25-2006, 08:01 PM
ok:D

Fishman
10-26-2006, 09:59 AM

BRYCE TUTORIAL:
FLYING SAUCER

Programs needed: Bryce 5.5 or above, Wings 3D.

Modelling the saucer using Wings 3D:

Part 1: Constructing the main body!

1. Create a cylinder, and scale it on the Y-axis so that it is flatter, and then scale uniform, so that it looks something like this:

2. Select the top face of the cylinder, and inset. Then raise the inset face up slightly.

3. Change the layout of the faces so that it looks like this:

4. Select the top-centre face, inset the face, raise the inset face a bit (more than the last time), and rotate it slightly on the X-axis. The result should be like this:

5. Delete some of the edges from the front of the top ‘dome’, and select the resulting face. Make the edges hard, and then inset the face a very small amount. Make the edges of this face hard as well. Create a shiny blue material to colour this face in with.

Part 2 to come soon, insha’Allaah!

lolwatever
10-26-2006, 10:00 AM
cool mashalah... jazaks 4 sharing :)

Fishman
10-26-2006, 11:13 AM

BRYCE TUTORIAL:

FLYING SAUCER

Part two: the bow of the ship!

6. Move some of the front edge forward on the Z-axis, and move the one in-between them backward. Then select the inner faces of the outer points of the curve, and inset them. Make the edges hard, then inset the faces again, and make the edges hard on these faces too. Finally, move the resulting face backwards on the Z-axis, and colour them with a yellow colour.

7. Create the following edges:

8. Select the centre faces of both of these new grids, and make the edges hard. Once this is completed, extrude them on their normal so that the extrusions are roughly cube-shaped. Select the front faces of the extrusions, select their edges and cut them in two. Of the new vertices, connect two opposing ones on each extrusion. Then cut the new lines in two, and on both extrusions connect these vertices to the other ones that you created earlier on in this step.

9. Select the centre point of the cross on the front of each extrusion, and bevel it larger as much as it will go. Make the edges hard, and extrude the face on the Z-axis. These will be the barrels of the saucer’s laser cannons. Make the edges hard on the extruded face.

10: Inset the faces on the front of the laser cannons, and make their edges hard. Then extrude the faces most of the way into the gun barrels, and make the edges of the extruded faces hard too.

Part 3 coming soon, insha’Allaah!

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-26-2006, 04:11 PM
^^^wOW it looks pretty cool..how do u manage to get it soo accurate :?
looks very neat!!!mashaAllah...:D:D

Fishman
10-26-2006, 04:14 PM
^^^wOW it looks pretty cool..how do u manage to get it soo accurate :?
looks very neat!!!mashaAllah...:D:D

Thanks for the compliment, but the work is not drawn in by hand, it is constructed by extending and dividing the faces of a 3D shape.

Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-26-2006, 04:19 PM
^^yup bro couldd see its on computer..:D:D..KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.