/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Name Meanings and Arabic Spellings

*LJ*
09-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Asalamu alaikum,

I decided to start this thread so that people can ask others the meanings of Islamic names and/or find out their spellings in Arabic inshaAllah. I'm particularly interested as I'm thinking of taking up an Islamic name at some point inshaAllah...so I'll go first...

I would like to know the meaning and spelling of the name Juwayriyah inshaAllah. I know that this was a name of one of the wives of the Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wasalam) but I don't know the actual meaning.

JazakAllah khair
Salam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~Stranger~
09-21-2006, 09:27 PM
:sl:
this is what i found جويرية

الجارية: الفتية من النساء والجارية الشمس والجارية: السفينة والجارية الريح وما جويرية إلا جارية صغيرة، وقد ينطق الاسم بياء مشددة جويرية حين ينسبونها إلى الجورى، وهو الورد الأحمر فيقولون: جورية كما ينطقون حورية وقد يصغرونها فيقولون: جويرية، وجور مدينة فيروز اباذ واليها ينسب الورد فيقال: جوري والوردة: جورية

it has many meanings.

it somes from the word jory which is red rose
ot it could be a young -jariyah- female servant

Uma Rayanah
09-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Interestin thread...

im here 2 help ... jz post any names inorder 4 me to find the meanin 4 it inshallah...:happy:

:w:

Rabi'ya
09-28-2006, 09:31 PM

so i was watching the news today....what does the name Inzamam (ul haq) actually mean?

Rabi'ya:rose:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mawaddah
09-28-2006, 09:38 PM
إنضمام - Indhimaam ( or like how you spelt it, Inzimaam, I guess thats' Urdu pronounciation? :D ) means Consolidation, Integration, Unision

:)

*LJ*
09-28-2006, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Stranger~

الجارية: الفتية من النساء والجارية الشمس والجارية: السفينة والجارية الريح وما جويرية إلا جارية صغيرة، وقد ينطق الاسم بياء مشددة جويرية حين ينسبونها إلى الجورى، وهو الورد الأحمر فيقولون: جورية كما ينطقون حورية وقد يصغرونها فيقولون: جويرية، وجور مدينة فيروز اباذ واليها ينسب الورد فيقال: جوري والوردة: جورية

it has many meanings.

JazakAllah for your reply.
Can I just ask what all that arabic says???

Salam

Mawaddah
09-29-2006, 01:59 PM
^ LOL Sis..........I'll translate it for you Insha'allah :)

format_quote Originally Posted by ~Stranger~

الجارية: الفتية من النساء والجارية الشمس والجارية: السفينة والجارية الريح وما جويرية إلا جارية صغيرة، وقد ينطق الاسم بياء مشددة جويرية حين ينسبونها إلى الجورى، وهو الورد الأحمر فيقولون: جورية كما ينطقون حورية وقد يصغرونها فيقولون: جويرية، وجور مدينة فيروز اباذ واليها ينسب الورد فيقال: جوري والوردة: جوريةit has many meanings.

Ok so first of all these long sentences are telling us about the possible words from which the name Juwayriyyah was derived.

It could have either been from the word جارية (Jaariyah)

Jaariyah can mean a Young woman. And Juwayriyah is the Lesser form of the word Jaariyah so it means a Young Girl.

However at times the name Juwayriyyah is pronounced as if there was a Shadda on the second Yaa in the word. So in this case the meaning of the name would be derived from the word جورى Which means : Red Rose

^^^^ That's basically a summary of the Arabic sentences, and I want to Clarify :

If the name is spelt with one Y i.e. Juwayriyah , then the name would mean "A Young Girl"

However if the name is spelt with two Y's i.e Juwayriyyah, then the name would mean " A Red Rose "

I hope that I didnt' make it too complicated sis? :?

*LJ*
09-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Asalamu alaikum

That was a great explanation :):):) JazakAllah khair sister.

Anyone else got any names they're wondering about (I'll probably think of some mroe soon)

Kittygyal
09-29-2006, 09:39 PM
salam.
what about the name Shanne (me think it's in Urdu am not sure tho)
w.slam

~Stranger~
10-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Shanne

it does sound like arabic to me

syilla
10-04-2006, 09:24 AM

how about 'shaheela'

what is the meaning of it?

amirah_87
10-08-2006, 03:21 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

Shaheela?... is it with a ح Or a ه

And does it have a ة at the end of it? :?

as in :

Sha7eela : شحيلة

OR

Shaheela :شهيلة

syilla
10-09-2006, 03:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
As salaamu alaykum,

Shaheela?... is it with a ح Or a ه

And does it have a ة at the end of it? :?

as in :

Sha7eela : شحيلة

OR

Shaheela :شهيلة

both please...

in bm we don't have ح Or a ه :(

Mawaddah
10-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Kak Syilla!! Oh poor you have to wait for so long to find an answer to the meaning of your name :D

شحيلة = There is no such word in the Arabic vocabulary

شهيلة = This means one who is swift/quick/nimble

OR

There is a possibility that Syilla's name is just misspelt like how many names often are misspelt in Malay and Indonesia, so it could have been :

سهلة

Take notice; there is no "Yaa" And this name would mean : Easygoing

amirah_87
10-16-2006, 10:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
both please...

in bm we don't have ح Or a ه :(
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Oh Dear... Sorry Syilla I forgot to reply back!! :heated:

Hmm like My sister said here.. I think it might be سهلة

that's quite a common name unlike شهيلة

Wallahu a3lam! :)

muzna
10-16-2006, 10:48 AM
i was named muzna cause my parents thought it meant special, but i recently found out it actually meant clouds..such a poetic drag...big fluffy gravity defying monsters..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-16-2006, 11:14 PM
what does munazza mean? i like that name...

muzna
10-17-2006, 10:53 AM
not sure...but everyone in pakistan calls me munazza..or munza..or munzil..its like they cant say muzna...though there are lots of pakistanis with that name

syilla
10-17-2006, 11:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Kak Syilla!! Oh poor you have to wait for so long to find an answer to the meaning of your name :D

شحيلة = There is no such word in the Arabic vocabulary

شهيلة = This means one who is swift/quick/nimble

OR

There is a possibility that Syilla's name is just misspelt like how many names often are misspelt in Malay and Indonesia, so it could have been :

سهلة

Take notice; there is no "Yaa" And this name would mean : Easygoing

oh thank you so much :D :D reps 4 you

syilla
10-17-2006, 11:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Oh Dear... Sorry Syilla I forgot to reply back!! :heated:

Hmm like My sister said here.. I think it might be سهلة

that's quite a common name unlike شهيلة

Wallahu a3lam! :)
thank you so much too...i thought you would have realised it in your reps ;D ;D

i'll give you both reps...but maybe later...i gtg

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-17-2006, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muzna
not sure...but everyone in pakistan calls me munazza..or munza..or munzil..its like they cant say muzna...though there are lots of pakistanis with that name
oh cool lol didnt realize it was urs. I said it cuz its my cuzins name :)

ok so wat does zoyah mean? my mom told me it means light of heaven. someone said its not...
It was my sis's name, but she passed away...

Mawaddah
10-17-2006, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
what does munazza mean? i like that name...
Salaams sis :thankyou:

If the name Munazza is spelt like this in Arabic منزه , Then it means : Flawless,Infallible

As for Zoyah? :rollseyes........I really doubt that this is an Arabic name sis :)

And May Allah have mercy on your sis :cry:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-17-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm not sure if it is Arabic lol.

And May Allah have mercy on your sis
InshAllah, Ameen.

Jazak Allah sis :)

*LJ*
10-29-2006, 10:57 AM

What about Aisha? I would like to know the arabic spelling (please only post if you are sure of what the spelling is)... I wasn't sure if there was a 'ya' in it or not. And I would also like to know the meaning...obviously I know it was the name of the Prophet's (sallallahu alaihi wa salam) wife but I don't know the actual meaning, somebody mentioned to me that they thought it was something to do with night/evening.

Salam

Mawaddah
10-29-2006, 11:18 AM
This is how A'isha is spelt sis :

عائشة

And it means : Living, Prosperous...

Umar001
11-03-2006, 11:03 PM
I have some questions, I read that the name Fawwaz means like victory or something, so is it possible to have the name Fawwaz Al Deen?

And how would you write in arabic Habeshi, I mean for the B what wud be the the thing that makes it BE like u have the thing on top which makes it BA and the round thingy that makes it BU and the thing on the bottom BI but how about BE?

*LJ*
12-21-2006, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi

And how would you write in arabic Habeshi, I mean for the B what wud be the the thing that makes it BE like u have the thing on top which makes it BA and the round thingy that makes it BU and the thing on the bottom BI but how about BE?
the BEE sound in arabic is written 'ba' (with thing on the bottom...is it called a kasra?) then a 'ya'.

This was a very late reply i know, i havent been on the forum in a while.

Salaam

mano_the_cat
12-24-2006, 07:33 PM
i wanna know what the name 'hafsah' means .... and and ... is it 'hafsa' or 'hafsah'?????? people usually pronounce as 'hifza' 'hifsa' 'hafza' ...and soemhow i dont like it .... i used to correct people to say it in the right way but now ... im tired lolzzzzz so i let them say whatever they like hehe ... but i love my name :)

syilla
09-04-2007, 04:39 AM
:salamext:

My friend asked if anyone can give the meaning of Asraf and Norfauziah (nun wau ro fa wau (pronouce fou) zai ya ha ه

Al-Zaara
09-04-2007, 05:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
ok so wat does zoyah mean? my mom told me it means light of heaven. someone said its not...
I don't know if you care at all, but zoyah or zoja has a meaning in Albanian:

hostess (of the house) :)

*LJ*
09-04-2007, 09:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
:salamext:

My friend asked if anyone can give the meaning of Asraf and Norfauziah (nun wau ro fa wau (pronouce fou) zai ya ha ه
Asalamu alaikum,

I think Norfauziah means light of success or light of victory but I'm not 100% sure. It comes from Nur(light) and Fawziah(success/victory) I think.

Salam

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-04-2007, 06:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
I don't know if you care at all, but zoyah or zoja has a meaning in Albanian:

hostess (of the house) :)
Lol, of course I care =D Wow I didnt know u had that in Albanian :p

Has any1 heard of the name asfareen or something like that? And if u did, can u tell me what it means =D

Anwarica
09-05-2007, 04:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Has any1 heard of the name asfareen or something like that? And if u did, can u tell me what it means =D
If there's another way of writing asfareen, please provide it :)
I think it will be Persian.

Imam
09-05-2007, 10:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
I have some questions, I read that the name Fawwaz means like victory or something, so is it possible to have the name Fawwaz Al Deen?

Fawwaz means (The one who usually win the bless,and is kept away from the evil) in other words it menas simply (winner)
it is as similar in meaning as the name
Zaffar (winner)

Fawwaz Al Deen?

though it makes sense, but never found someone with such name.

but I got before a person with the name Zaffar Al Deen ,which exactly the same meaning as Fawwaz Al Deen...

the following some names with the word Al Deen:

Alla Aldin (the loft and the greatness of Islam)

Salah Aldin (the righteousness of Islam)

Gamaal Aldin (The beauty of Islam)

Asad Aldin (The lion of Islam)

Takiio Aldin (the righteous muslim)

Hosaam Aldin (The victorious sword that protect Islam from enemies)

Magd Aldin (The glory of Islam)

kanz Aldin (The treasure of Islam)

Diaa Aldin (The light of Islam)

Nasr Aldin (The victory of Islam)

Sharf Aldin (The honor,purity of Islam)

Ezz Aldin (the glory and proud of Islam)

Bahaa Aldin (the beauty and attraction of Islam)

Zafr Aldin (the victory of Islam)

Kamal Aldin (the perfection of Islam)

now regarding the name Alhabeshi

الحابشي

it is a family name....and you can write it (Alhabishi) too......

in other words

you would put the thing under with Bi or BE .....

Take care Brother

Imam
09-06-2007, 09:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salih20
What does Salih mean and how is it spelt in Arabic ?

Salih means
a righteous person

صالح

four letters ص ا ل ح

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.