/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Need Quick Help

AnonymousPoster
09-21-2006, 08:17 PM
:sl: my tutor approached me today and told me that i would give a talk on islam in front of my whole college! I am sooooooo scared! i hate public speaking.
4 people from different religions will be talking about their religion.
i have about 10 mins please help i am totally lost. what topics should i cover?
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
09-21-2006, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
:sl: my tutor approached me today and told me that i would give a talk on islam in front of my whole college! I am sooooooo scared! i hate public speaking.
4 people from different religions will be talking about their religion.
i have about 10 mins please help i am totally lost. what topics should i cover?
10 minutes??
The five pillars of Islam, of course!
Make it brief, and don't worry ... 10 minutes will fly past before you know it! :)

- Qatada -
09-21-2006, 08:28 PM
:salamext:

Qur'an 20:25

Qala rabbi ishrah lee sadree

[Musa (Moses)] said: "O my Lord! Open for me my chest (grant me self-confidence, contentment, and boldness).

20:26

Wayassir lee amree

"And ease my task for me;

20:27

Wahlul AAuqdatan min lisanee

"And make loose the knot (the defect) from my tongue, (i.e. remove the incorrectness from my speech) [That occurred as a result of a brand of fire which Musa (Moses) put in his mouth when he was an infant]. [Tafsir At-Tabari, Vol. 16, Page 159].

20:28

Yafqahoo qawlee

That they may understand my speech.

http://quranicrealm.com/viewverses.php?q=20&langs=393

S_87
09-21-2006, 08:29 PM
:sl:

the pillars of islam as said, the points of iman and ihsan. if you have a while them a male and females role in islamic society
inshaAllah itll go well! once you start off itll be a role!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
H4RUN
09-21-2006, 08:29 PM
tawheed, oness of God 1st Up, den jus basicaly go through the creed, Muhammad Pbuh final messenger, shall b granted the highest rank in Jannah n so on...den bring in Isa pbuh in2 it, and show that Christianity aint d only religion that believe in him, so much so that he is prob d 2nd rankd prophet....n his mother, MAryam has a whole chapter in the Quran named after her, subhanAllah!

- Qatada -
09-21-2006, 08:31 PM
:salamext:

We can help you make something insha'Allaah and give you pointers. And the best thing you could talk about is tawheed [the Oneness of Allah, He should be worshipped Alone, His 99 names], because this is the best part to make people understand the true concept of islaam.. it show's how islam is the truth compared to all other religions, because we worship the Creator, whereas all other religion's either worship an idol, human, government, philosophy etc.

Try reading this:

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...lam-truth.html

And just be abit more specific on what kinda info. you need, and we'll help you out insha'Allaahu ta'aala.

A really good place to get your points from is Kamal-el Makki, how to give a shahadah in 10mins:

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...ighlight=kamal

~Stranger~
09-21-2006, 09:52 PM
just talk about what we muslim believe in in general, Allah, prophets, angels and stuff. if theyre christian try to raise our "jesus is not the son of god" belief and why prophet muhammed :arabic5: is so important for us (just incase some of them r supporting the danish cartoons) and perhaps the status of women in islam and that they're not as oppresed as some ppl believe. this could be a good chance for dawah insha'allah

as glo said
10 minutes will fly past before you know it!
all the best of luck insha'allah
let us know how it goes insha'allah

DigitalStorm82
09-22-2006, 05:25 AM
Asalamu Alaikum,

In addition to your speech...

Revise all the quotes from Quran and sunnah that fights terrorism.

There is no doubt in my mind that you will be asked questions regarding terrorism. I have been in the MSA in my college... and doesn't matter what topic we do... questions like those always come up.

such things like... Islam spread by the sword... suicide... etc.. and some may even quote Quran saying things like "kill them wherever you may find them"

Not to scare you... but you will be representing Islam in your college... be prepared :) and May Allah guide you Inshallah.

W'salaamz,
Hamid

glo
09-22-2006, 05:46 AM
All this advice is great, but bear in mind that 10 minutes will be a really short time!

I would keep it very, very basic.
You don't have much time to give people a very basic understanding of your religion. If it gets too complicated, they may not understand.

So keep it simple - people can always approach you later to ask further questions.

Hope it goes well!! :)

Woodrow
09-22-2006, 05:54 AM
For a talk, 10 minutes is a very short period of time. I favor Glo's suggestion of the pillars of faith. A very brief description of each and your 10 minutes will be up.

F.Y.
09-22-2006, 06:43 AM
I agree with Woodrow and Glo. 10 minutes is over in a flash, believe me. Its nothing.
Talk about the 5 pillars - focusing on the CORE belief of believing in Allah only, with no partners. At this point it may be wise to introduce the idea that Allah is not some 'Muslim God' - no. Say, "The french word for God is Dieu, the spanish word is dios, the arabic word for God is Allah.So Allah isnt some strange God that the media makes out - it just means 'God' in Arabic." When you explain 'Muhammadurasulullah' - explain we believe him to be the final prophet after Jesus. Say we believe in prophets like adam, noah, moses, jesus etc as great men who brought a powerful message, but not to be worshipped.
Then go through the other pillars.
Maybe play a bit of really nice Quranic recitation and say this is what the Quran, our holy book sounds like. Tell them the meaning of the ayah just read (choose a nice ayah that can be understood by all!). Have some free English Qurans - say "If anyone wants to pick one up, you're most welcome." Most importantly, be calm, smile and be positive and proud! (make dua to Allah to help you beforehand)
Peace

DigitalStorm82
09-22-2006, 02:28 PM
I like FY suggestions. :)

Also add flyers to the list... perhaps a basic run-down of your speech and some helpful islamic sites... you can probably lay them out on a table somewhere... by the doors perhaps.

it wouldn't hurt to add this forum (Free Adverstising) ;) lol jk

Ummu Sufyaan
10-01-2006, 10:32 AM
:sl: sisters and brothers.
my advice is try to put forth comparisons. you know, in a dialogue that they understand. use examples found in the thread below. just something along those lines. comparisons are always good.
http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...-examples.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.