View Full Version : Who can serve as wali?

10-04-2006, 07:40 AM

I have a question about a wali. I am a convert, and no one else in my family is muslim. I do however have friends that are muslim and there is one man imparticular who helped me so much, he is pious and has a good heart, I respect his mind and his opinion. Anytime I had questions or problems he always had good advice, and was willing to help me. When I needed to learn things like how to pray and how to make wudu, he put me in contact with ladies from the mosque who could help me. Anyway my point is he is like the older brother I never had. So even though we are not related by blood, would it ok for me to ask him to be my wali if someone wants to marry me.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
10-04-2006, 10:29 AM

i know if a woman doesnt have any relative to serve as a walli then she should ask the imam of the masjid but i dont know wbaout this brother.

Secondly, since this lady in question has converted to Islam, thanks to Allaah, none of her kaafir family members can act as a guardian (wali) of her interests; no kaafir can act in this capacity over a Muslim. If there is a Muslim with some authority in your area over the affairs of the Muslim community, then he can act in this capacity, based on the Prophet's (peace be upon him) hadeeth:

"No marriage contract can be concluded without the presence of a Wali. A Sultan (authority figure) can act as a Wali for those without one." (see Ibn Majah and Imam Ahmad, Hadith number 1880; also in Salih al-Jaami', hadeeth number 7556.)

If there is no authoritative Muslim person, then one should refer to the community Muslim leader or any Muslim who is just ('aadil), respected, and of high character, such as the director of the Islamic center or its imam, to conclude the marriage contract of this sister, with her consent.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
my advice to u, since hes not a mahram then u shouldnt have any contact with him coz
It is haraam for you to sit with your wife’s sister or any other non-mahram woman on her own. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No man is alone with a woman but the Shaytaan is the third one present with them.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 9/290; Muslim, no. 1341; Ahmad, al-Musnad, 1/222 and 346).

10-09-2006, 08:29 AM
if you don't have a male relative.you can get the imam at your local masjid to be a wali.

10-09-2006, 10:34 AM
assalaamu alaykum,

i had to look into this problem a couple of years ago for my local new muslim project.

the wali in the case of a woman who has no muslim relatives is the qadi in a muslim land or if in darul kufr the imam of the local masjid or a man appointed by a reputable authority in islam.

so you should approach the imam of the masjid, explain that although you dont wish to marry now you need a brother to act in this regard for you so if he cannot do it then can he suggest someone else for you such as this brother perhaps?

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 03:43 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-31-2010, 09:02 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
  4. Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 09:52 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 07:29 AM


Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!