/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and Animals

snakelegs
10-11-2006, 09:19 PM
i have read several things about islam and animals and i was wondering - are the quotes i've pasted below from the "killing spiders?" thread true? can anyone give a source? i find these concepts absolutely wonderful!

"They are entitled to life as much as we are."

"The Quran forbids taking a life without just cause.. fear isn't a just cause for killing any living being. Lastly, all animals are muslim and worship Allah swt just as we do. No one has the right to take that away from them."

where in the qur'an?

"I think we Muslims cannot kill them. We should not cause harm to living animals and plants."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
10-12-2006, 02:36 AM
Lastly, all animals are muslim and worship Allah swt just as we do.
this is true...and even for the plants, trees and rocks....etc

i want to ask too...

is it true...is sunnah to kill home lizard on friday? any hadith on it?

- Qatada -
10-12-2006, 09:33 AM
is it true...is sunnah to kill home lizard on friday? any hadith on it?

Killing salamanders by hand
http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=138...txt=salamander

What Ruling on killing mice and rats, and a comment on the character Mickey Mouse

more:
http://islamqa.com/index.php?pg=rslt...glist=0&ln=eng

- Qatada -
:salamext:

Al-Qaasim ibn Muhammad said: I heard ‘Aa’ishah, the wife of the Prophet :saw: say: I heard the Messenger of Allaah say: “There are four things which are faasiq (corrupt) and may be killed at all times, whether one is in a state of ihraam [for Hajj and ‘Umrah] or not: kites*, crows, mice/rats and mad dogs.” Narrated by Muslim, 1198.

*A Kite is a hawk from the Accipitridae family. They are well known for their long, pointed wings and feeding on insects and small animals.

Mice and rats are harmful creatures, as the Prophet :saw: explained: Ibn ‘Abbaas said: a mouse (or rat) came and started dragging the wick (of the lamp). It threw it in front of the Messenger of Allaah, onto the mat on which he was sitting, and it burnt a hole the size of a dirham. He said, “When you go to sleep, extinguish your lamps, for the Shaytaan will tell creatures like this to do something like this so that you will be burned.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 5427.

The mice or rats that may live in people’s houses are among the harmful creatures or vermin (fuwaysiqah) which the Prophet :saw: commanded us to kill in all situations, whether we are in ihraam or not. The root of the word fuwaysiqah (fasaqa) means to deviate from the right way and to do harm; hence a sinner is described as “faasiq”, and these animals are called fawaasiq, as a metaphor for their evil nature; or it was said that it is because it is not haraam to kill them, whether one is in ihraam or not, for they have no sanctity or protection in any circumstances. Al-Tahaawi narrated in Ahkaam al-Qur’aan with his isnaad from Yazeed ibn Abu Nu’aym that he [Yazeed] asked Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri why mice/rats were called fuwaysiqah. He said: the Prophet woke up one night and saw that a mouse/rat had taken the wick of the lamp to burn down the house of the Messenger of Allaah so he got up and killed it, and said that it was permissible to kill them whether one is in ihraam or not. This was mentioned by al-‘Allaamah al-Dumayri.

Al-Bukhaari narrated that Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Cover the vessels, for the mouse/rat may drag out the wick (of the lamp) and burn the occupants of the house.” Something similar was narrated by Muslim, in which he says: “For the fuwaysiqah may start a fire and burn the house and its occupants.”

Source: IslamQA

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
Blazing mouse sets fire to house
Source: BBC

A man threw a mouse he had found in his home onto a pile of burning leaves - only to see it run away and burn his house down.

Luciano Mares, 81, of Fort Sumner, New Mexico, found a mouse in his home and wanted to get rid of it. "I had some leaves burning outside, so I threw it in the fire, and the mouse was on fire and ran back at the house," he said.

Though no one was injured, the house and everything in it was destroyed. "I've seen numerous house fires, but nothing as unique as this one," Fire Department Captain Jim Lyssy said. New Mexico has seen several major blazes after unseasonably dry and windy conditions which have destroyed 10 homes and devastated more than 53,000 acres (21,200 hectares) of land.

Ayesha Rana
10-12-2006, 09:45 AM
We aren't allowed to torture living things with fire so what that man did was wrong.

- Qatada -
10-12-2006, 09:57 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Ayesha Rana
We aren't allowed to torture living things with fire so what that man did was wrong.

Luciano Mares, 81, of Fort Sumner, New Mexico, found a mouse in his home and wanted to get rid of it. "I had some leaves burning outside, so I threw it in the fire, and the mouse was on fire and ran back at the house," he said.

Allaahu a'lam, he may not have been muslim.

syilla
10-12-2006, 10:18 AM
thank you...

but what about spiders...we shouldn't be killing it right...because it has helped our prophet?

- Qatada -
10-12-2006, 10:19 AM

I can't really find any fatwa/ruling on the killing of spider's, sorry.

Malaikah
10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
snakelegs, i cant answer your question directly but:

It was narrated in the hadeeth from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A woman was punished for a cat which she imprisoned until it died, and she entered Hell because of that. She did not feed it or give it water when she imprisoned it, and she did not leave it free to eat of the vermin of the earth.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2236; Muslim, 2242).

10-12-2006, 10:33 AM
^There's also a man who'll go to heaven coz he fed a dog water. sorry dunno the hadith...

Malaikah
10-12-2006, 10:37 AM
^ i think what happened was that allah swt forgave the mans sins because he feed the dog water...

- Qatada -
10-12-2006, 10:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rose_Ice
^There's also a man who'll go to heaven coz he fed a dog water. sorry dunno the hadith...

"While a man was walking along a road, he became very thirsty and found a well. He lowered himself into the well, drank, and came out. Then [he saw] a dog protruding its tongue out with thirst. The man said: 'This dog has become exhausted from thirst in the same way as I.' He lowered himself into the well again and filled his shoe with water. He gave the dog some water to drink. He thanked God, and [his sins were] forgiven.' The Prophet was then asked: 'Is there a reward for us in our animals?' He said: 'There is a reward in every living thing.' " Fiqh-us-Sunnah, Volume 3, Number 104.

Hadith - Bukhari 4:538, Narrated Abu Huraira

Allah's Apostle

said, "A prostitute was forgiven by Allah, because, passing by a panting dog near a well and seeing that the dog was about to die of thirst, she took off her shoe, and tying it with her head-cover she drew out some water for it. So, Allah forgave her because of that."

http://muttaqun.com/dogs.html

syilla
10-12-2006, 10:42 AM
:sl:

;D ;D this is soo funny....i never thought there are other people thinking like me....which is about the monkey... i know it sounds ridiculous...but i really believe so..and i keep it to myself. And this guy even ask the scholar about it... lol...

i tend to believe it before...because...the monkey behave so much like us... ;D ;D

Question:
Could you please tell me about monkeys. Are they humans who were turned into monkeys for disobeying Allahs commandments? if so which people were they and what did they do?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Maskh (transformation) refers to the changing of a person’s exterior appearance. Allaah has told us in more than one place in the Qur’aan that He transformed some of the Children of Israel into monkeys as a punishment for their disobedience towards Allaah. Allaah says, addressing the Children of Israel (interpretation of the meaning):

“And indeed you knew those amongst you who transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath (i.e. Saturday). We said to them: ‘Be you monkeys, despised and rejected.’

So We made this punishment an example to their own and to succeeding generations and a lesson to those who are Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”

[al-Baqarah 2:65-66]

And Allaah tells us their story in more detail in Soorat al-A’raaf, where He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And ask them (O Muhammad) about the town that was by the sea; when they transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath (i.e. Saturday): when their fish came to them openly on the Sabbath day, and did not come to them on the day they had no Sabbath. Thus We made a trial of them, for they used to rebel against Allaah’s Command (disobey Allaah)

And when a community among them said: ‘Why do you preach to a people whom Allaah is about to destroy or to punish with a severe torment?’ (The preachers) said: ‘In order to be free from guilt before your Lord (Allaah), and perhaps they may fear Allaah.’

So when they forgot the reminders that had been given to them, We rescued those who forbade evil, but with a severe torment We seized those who did wrong because they used to rebel against Allaah’s Command (disobey Allaah).

So when they exceeded the limits of what they were prohibited, We said to them: ‘Be you monkeys, despised and rejected’”

[al-A’raaf 7:163-166]

And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: ‘O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Do you criticize us for no other reason than that we believe in Allaah, and in (the Revelation) which has been sent down to us and in that which has been sent down before (us), and that most of you are Faasiqoon [rebellious and disobedient (to Allaah)]?’

Say (O Muhammad to the people of the Scripture): ‘Shall I inform you of something worse than that, regarding the recompense from Allaah: those (Jews) who incurred the Curse of Allaah and His Wrath, and those of whom (some) He transformed into monkeys and swines, and those who worshipped Taaghoot (false deities); such are worse in rank (on the Day of Resurrection in the Hell-fire), and far more astray from the Right Path (in the life of this world)’”
[al-Maa’idah 5:59-60]

This transformation was a punishment from Allaah to them for their doing that which Allaah had forbidden to them. This punishment was not exclusively for the Children of Israel, rather the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that the Hour will not begin until such transformation happens among this ummah too. He issued this warning to those who disbelieve in the divine decree (al-qadr), and those who drink alcohol and listen to singing – we seek refuge with Allaah from that.

Ibn Maajah (4059) narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Shortly before the Hour begins, people will be transformed into monkeys and pigs, swallowed up in the earth, and pelted with stones.” (Saheeh Ibn Maajah, 3280).

Being swallowed up in the earth means that the earth will split open and swallow up a person, house or city, just as Allaah caused the earth to swallow Qaaroon and his household. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning);

“So We caused the earth to swallow him”

[al-Qasas 28:81]

Pelting with stones is the same as Allaah did to the people of Loot. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and rained down on them stones of baked clay”

[al-Hijr 15:74]

Al-Tirmidhi (2152) narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: “I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, ‘Among this ummah those who disbelieve in the divine decree (al-qadr) will be wallowed up by the earth, transformed into monkeys and pigs or pelted with stones.” (Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 1748).

And al-Tirmidhi (2212) narrated from ‘Imraan ibn Husayn that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Among this ummah, people will be transformed into monkeys and pigs, swallowed up in the earth, and pelted with stones.” A man among the Muslims said, “O Messenger of Allaah, when will that be?” He said, “When singing-girls and musical instruments become widespread and wine is drunk.” (Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 1802).

These ahaadeeth indicate that such transformations will happen in this ummah as a punishment for some sins. So let the Muslim beware of doing anything that Allaah has forbidden. Woe be to the one who provokes the anger, wrath and vengeance of Allaah. May Allaah keep us all safe from the things that incur His punishment.

But these monkeys and pigs that exist nowadays are not the people from the earlier nations who were transformed, because Allaah does not enable those who have been transformed to have offspring, rather He causes them to die after being transformed, so they have no offspring.

Muslim (2663) narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood said: “A man said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, are the monkeys and pigs those who have been transformed?’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Allaah does not enable those who have been transformed to have offspring or children. The monkeys and pigs existed before that.’” al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Prophet’s words ‘The monkeys and pigs existed before that’ means that they existed before the Children of Israel were transformed, which indicates that they are not from among those who were transformed.”

And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and grant him peace.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

10-12-2006, 10:43 AM
"While a man was walking along a road, he became very thirsty and found a well. He lowered himself into the well, drank, and came out. Then [he saw] a dog protruding its tongue out with thirst. The man said: 'This dog has become exhausted from thirst in the same way as I.' He lowered himself into the well again and filled his shoe with water. He gave the dog some water to drink. He thanked God, and [his sins were] forgiven.' The Prophet was then asked: 'Is there a reward for us in our animals?' He said: 'There is a reward in every living thing.' " Fiqh-us-Sunnah, Volume 3, Number 104.
Yep that's the one. Jazakallah khair akhee.

snakelegs
10-12-2006, 11:56 PM
thanks for all the responses.
i agree, when animals become pests there is often no choice but to kill them. in areas where there are deadly snakes and scorpions, i can see that too - esp. if you have children and don't know how to remove them safely. this is not done for fun or to be cruel. i didn't understand why kites are included tho.
ants are also among the animals i will kill when they come in the house and take over, which they do where i live.
thanks for sources of the dog stories (i only knew one). i find these especially admirable.
didn't like this one tho: :cry:
"One morning Allah's Messenger was silent with grief. Maymunah said: Allah's Messenger, I find a change in your mood today. Allah's Messenger said: Gabriel had promised me that he would meet me last night, but he did not meet me. By Allah, he never broke his promises; and Allah's Messenger spent the day in this sad (mood). Then it occurred to him that there had been a puppy under their cot. He gave an order and it was turned out. He then took some water in his hand and sprinkled it on the place. When it was evening Gabriel met him and he said to him: You promised me that you would meet me the previous night. He said: Yes, but we do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture. So the very next morning he commanded the dogs to be killed. He announced that the dog kept for the orchards should also be killed, but he spared the dog used for the protection of extensive fields (or big gardens)."
this concept i like especially, but i guess there is no source to verify it.
"Lastly, all animals are muslim and worship Allah swt just as we do.
this is true...and even for the plants, trees and rocks....etc"
if anyone can find any source for this concept, i'd really appreciate it.

i don't really understand the one about salamanders and they are not mentioned in the category of animals that it is halal to kill. but i did notice that killing them was to be done as less cruely as possible.
as for killing spiders - from the "killing spiders?" thread:
"Only after several months did Allah grant the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) permission to leave Makkah. Shortly before his departure, Jibreel (Angel Gabriel) told Muhammad that the Quraysh had devised a plot to stab him while he was sleeping. On the night of the planned assassination, his cousin `Ali ibn Abi Talib slept in Muhammad’s bed while the latter escaped with his friend Abu Bakr As-Siddiq to a cave south of Makkah, opposite the direction to Madinah. Fortunately for `Ali, the assassins looked at his face before stabbing him and left him alone when they realized they had been outwitted.

Muhammad and Abu Bakr hid in the cave for three days while the Quraysh searched all around Makkah. At one point, their enemies were only a few feet away outside the cave, but Allah protected them by simple everyday “miracles.” A spider spun its web across the mouth of the cave, pigeons nested and laid eggs in front of it, and the branches of a small tree blocked it. Thus the pursuers assumed no one had entered the cave recently and did not search it."
thanks again, everybody for your responses. if you think of anything else, i'd appreciate it. :)

syilla
10-14-2006, 05:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i don't really understand the one about salamanders and they are not mentioned in the category of animals that it is halal to kill. but i did notice that killing them was to be done as less cruely as possible.

if you leave in malaysia...salamanders can be quite nuisance, they'll spoil your food, they love to leave their s--- behinds and dirty your ceiling and walls, tables, clothes and etc.

Muhammad
10-14-2006, 06:43 AM
Greetings snakelegs,

Thankyou for bringing up this topic! Indeed, our Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) taught us the best characters and manners to the extent that even looking after the environment and the welfare of animals are acts of virtue.

Allaah has enjoined kindness in all things, as it says in the hadeeth: “Allaah is Kind and He loves kindness in all things.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5678) and Muslim (2165).

Muslim (2592) narrated that Jareer (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Whoever is deprived of kindness is deprived of goodness.”

Some hadeeth were mentioned earlier regarding examples of kindness to animals; here is another:

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: We were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) on a journey, and he went to relieve himself. We saw a bird with two chicks and we took away her chicks, and the bird started flapping her wings. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came and said: “Who has upset this bird by taking her children? Give her children back to her.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (2675); classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

And there are many more instances demonstrating how our Prophet (peace be upon him) was kind to animals and forbade cruel treatment of them, even at the time of slaughtering. As for the environment, acts such as removing something harmful from the road or planting a tree from which creatures will eat are considered acts of charity. Muslims are also taught to reflect upon God's signs in His creation, as many times in the Qur'an there is mention of the benefits that animals provide for us (milk, honey, clothing etc.) and the creation of the universe, hence teaching us to ponder over and respect Allah's creation.

With regards to the worship of Allah's creation, we find this mentioned many times in the Qur'an and also in the Sunnah. Here are some relevant verses from the Qur'an:

ART THOU NOT aware that it is God whose limitless glory all [creatures] that are in the heavens and on earth extol, even the birds as they spread out their wings?Asad(24,62) Each [of them] knows indeed how to pray unto Him and to glorify Him; and God has full knowledge of all that they do. 24:41

The seven heavens and the earth and all that is therein, glorify Him and there is not a thing but glorifies His Praise. But you understand not their glorification. Truly, He is Ever Forbearing, Oft-Forgiving. 17:44

And We subjected the mountains and the birds to glorify Our Praises along with Dawûd (David), And it was We Who were the doers (of all these things). 21:79

See you not that to Allâh prostrates whoever is in the heavens and whoever is on the earth, and the sun, and the moon, and the stars, and the mountains, and the trees, and Ad-Dawâb (moving living creatures, beasts, etc.), and many of mankind? But there are many (men) on whom the punishment is justified. And whomsoever Allâh disgraces, none can honour him. Verily! Allâh does what He wills. 22:18

Have they not observed things that Allah has created: (how) their shadows shift from right to left, prostrating to Allah while they are humble). And to Allah prostrate all that are in the heavens and all that are in the earth, the moving creatures and the angels, and they are not proud [i.e. they worship their Lord (Allah) with humility]. They fear their Lord above them, and they do what they are commanded. 16:48-50

Regarding this last group of verses (16:48-50), the famous exegete Ibn Kathir mentions:

Everything prostrates to Allah

Allah informs us about His might, majesty and pride, meaning that all things submit themselves to Him and every created being - animate and inanimate, as well as the responsible - humans and Jinns, and the angels - all humble themselves before Him. He tells us that everything that has a shadow leaning to the right and the left, i.e., in the morning and the evening, is by its shadow, prostrating to Allah. Mujahid said, "When the sun passes its zenith, everything prostrates to Allah, may He be glorified.'' This was also said by Qatadah, Ad-Dahhak and others.

(while they are humble) means, they are in a state of humility. Mujahid also said: "The prostration of every thing is its shadow'', and he mentioned the mountains and said that their prostrations are their shadows. Abu Ghalib Ash-Shaybani said: "The waves of the sea are its prayers''. It is as if reason is attributed to these inanimate objects when they are described as prostrating, so Allah says:

(And to Allah prostrate all that are in the heavens and all that are in the earth, of the moving creatures) As Allah says:

(And to Allah (alone) all who are in the heavens and the earth fall in prostration, willingly or unwillingly, and so do their shadows in the mornings and in the afternoons.) (13:15)

I hope that has helped you to understand this concept better, and please ask if there is anything else :).

Peace.

amirah_87
10-14-2006, 11:42 AM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

I dunno whether this has been mentioned InshaAllah but I'll like to add that:

If we are to kill animals it should be done in a quick and easy way so that the animal does not have to endire the pain..

Abu Ya'laa Shaddaad ibnu Aws radiyallaahu 'anhu narrated that the Prophet salallaahu 'alayhi wasallam said:
Verily Allah has prescribed proficiency in all things. Thus, if you kill, kill well; and if you slaughter, slaughter well. Let each one of you sharpen his blade and let him spare suffering to the animal he slaughters." (Muslim)

Hope that helps InshaAllah :)

Ansar Al-'Adl
10-14-2006, 03:26 PM
From IslamToday.com...
Islam teaches us to respect all living things. It enjoins kindness to animals. Animals, just like people, are entitled to receive charity. Once a man asked the Prophet (peace be upon him): Is there a reward for the charity that we give to animals? He answered: "For every being possessing a moist liver, there is a reward." [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) told us of a prostitute who earned Allah’s forgiveness for showing mercy to a dog. She had found it panting and swallowing up dirt out of severe thirst, so she went down to a well and filled her sock with water and gave it to the dog to drink. Allah was grateful to this woman and rewarded her with Paradise. [Sahîh al-Bukhârî]

Likewise, the Prophet (peace be upon him) informs us of how a woman earned Allah’s wrath for her mistreatment of a cat. She entered the Hellfire on account of a cat that she imprisoned, neither feeding it nor letting it hunt for food. [Sahîh al-Bukhârî]

When we slaughter an animal for food, we must do so in the best, most humane manner possible. The Prophet (peace be upon him)) said, “When you kill, you should kill well, and when you slaughter, you should slaughter well. Sharpen your knife and give relief to your slaughtered animal. [Sunan Abî Dâwûd]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) even forbade the cursing of animals: Once, while the Prophet (peace be upon him) was on a journey, he heard a woman invoke Allah’s curse upon a camel that she was riding. He said: “Offload the camel and let it go, since it has been cursed.” [Sahîh Muslim]

______
Question: Al-Salâm `Alaykum. What are the five animals that a Muslim is supposed to kill if he finds them anywhere?

Answered by Sheikh `Abd al-Rahmân al-`Ajlân, lecturer at the Grand Mosque in Mecca

Al-Salâm `Alaykum wa Rahmah Allah wa Barakâtuh.

The animals we should kill are the snake, the scorpion, the mouse, the kite and the biting dog. Our Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “There are five debauchees that should be killed at all times, even in the sacred months: the snake, the colored crow, the mouse, the biting dog, and the bird known as a kite. [Sahîh al-Bukharî (1829) and Sahîh Muslim (1198)] In the same context and the same references we also find mentioned: the crow, the bird known as a kite, the scorpion, the mouse and the biting dog.

And Allah (swt) knows best.

snakelegs
10-15-2006, 05:02 AM
thankyou muhammad, amirah and ansar.
this info has deepened my respect for islam (well, all but the snakes, of course)
muhammad, i esp. like the quotes you posted - very much!

syilla
10-18-2006, 03:24 AM
hello snakelegs...

there are already a thread on ant here in LI...but i'm not sure where...

anyway...in Islam...ants have a special place.

we even have a surah (al-quran) named after the ant.

http://www.islamicvoice.com/june.2000/science.htm

The Ant - A Beautiful Creation Of Allah
This particular insect has been selected as a title (Aayat) of a Surah No.27 “The Ants” in the Noble Qur’an. Briefly, it discusses the advent of Hadhrat Sulayman (Alayhis salaam), with his hosts of Jinn, men and birds and they marched in arranged groups till they reached the Valley of Ants. Said one Ant “Oh you Ants! Get back into your dwellings, lest Sulayman and his hosts crush you unintentionally”. The Hadith and sayings of the companions are numerous relating to the Ant. Hadhrat Ibn Abbas (Radhiallaahu Anhu) reports that the Prophet (Pbuh) said, “Do not kill four of these creatures viz. ant, bee, sparrows (wood-pecker), and any pigeon”. Hadhrat Abdur Rahman Ibn Abdullah (Radhiallaahu Anhu) reports that The Prophet (Pbuh) descended at a certain place - (house) and attended to the call of nature. Incidentally a man kindled a fire in a heap of ants, (either the house was built on a tree or on the ground). The Prophet (Pbuh) seeing this, exclaimed “Who did this? Extinguish it!! Extinguish it!” Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallaahu Anhu) reports that a certain Prophet from the many Prophets (Alayhis salaam) rested under the shade of a tree. An ant bit him. So the Prophet stood up to avenge for the bite. He spotted a large group of ants and killed them. A call was voiced to Him, “Was it not only one ant that bit you?”

Abu Hurayrah (Radhiallaahu Anhu) reports, I heard the Prophet (Pbuh) saying, A certain Prophet from the many Prophets (Alayhis salaam) was resting under the shade of a tree. An ant bit him. He instructed his belongings to be removed from there and immediately ordered the heap of Ants to be burnt. Allah Ta’ala revealed to him “Was it not only Ant that hurt you and you have ordered a full nation of ants to be destroyed who are engaged in the invocation of Allah Taala? Was it not one ant?”

Hassam Dastawani says that the ants and small ants during the season of summer bring love and prosperity to us but during the season of winter we fear they will dissipate our hoards.

Abu Bakr Najee reports that Hazrat Sulayman (Alayhis salaam) came out seeking water. Incidentally he spotted an ant with its bottom downwards and struggling with its legs up in the air upwards and saying, “Oh Allah we are one of your own creation, we are not independent of our thirst. Either you refreshen us and feed us or either kill us and destroy us.”

“ When they reached the Valley of the Ants, an Ant exclaimed, ‘O Ants! Enter your dwellings lest Sulaymaan and his armies crush you without noticing it.” (Naml : 18)

Life Style of Ants
In recent times, research has shown us several facts about the lifestyle of ants, which were not known earlier to mankind. Research has shown that the animals or insects whose lifestyle is closest in resemblance of the lifestyle of human beings are the ants. This can be seen from the following findings regarding ants:

The ants bury their dead in a manner similar to the humans.
They have a sophisticated system of division of labour.
Once in a while they meet among themselves to have a ‘chat’.
They have an advanced method of communication among themselves.
They hold regular markets wherein they exchange goods.
They store grains for long periods in winter and if the grain begins to bud, they cut the roots, If the grains stored by them get wet due to rains, they take these grains out into the sunlight to dry, and once these are dry, they take them back inside. Consider the following Qur’anic verses:

At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants said: ‘Oye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts crush you (Under foot) without knowing it.” (Al-Qur’an 27:17-18)

In the past, the so called ‘rationalist’ would have probably laughed and mocked at the Qur’an, taking it to be a fairy tale book in which ants talk to each other and communicate sophisticated messages!

C.P. Haskins in “The Ants and Her World” writes: “In fact ants are little chemical factories continuously producing an array of substance called pheromones, that serves the ant language. Through these pheromones the ants convey messages ranging from location of food to the presence of danger”!!!.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-18-2006, 04:11 AM
SubhanAllah i love this thread. Keep it up guys!

*charisma*
10-19-2006, 05:03 AM
Assalamu Alaikum and Greetings,

I have this website on my userpage as well, but it explains the Islamic Jurisprudence Of the Environment. I've been meaning to post it here, but I couldn't find it in my favorite's list lol

This is what it says about Animals:

Animals:

Islam has enjoined upon Muslims right relationship with animals. They are asked to treat animals well, and they are not allowed to kill animals except for food. The latter permission has to be carried out in accordance with the Shari `ah. Only in limited cases some animals are allowed to be killed when they endanger the life of the human.

To slaughter an animal, one has to use sharp object that will save the animal the pain associated with the use of a blunted object. Shaddad Ibn Aws reported that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

“…and excel in slaughtering; sharpen your blade [so you may] relief your slaughtered [animal].”10

In fact, Islam went beyond any expectations when the Shari `ah demanded that the psyche of the animal should be taken into consideration. Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal narrated from the report of `Umar that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, made it imperative to sharpen the blades and to hide them from [the sight of] animals. This ethos is reiterated in another context. Ibn `Abbas reported that a man [kept] a sheep laid down while he was [still] sharpening his blade; the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said [to him]:

“Would you like it to die twice? Why didn’t you sharpen your blade before laying it down?”11

The protection of animals in Islam includes the notion of hunting. While hunting is permitted in principle, it might become prohibited depending on the conditions that surround it. Ibn Taymiyyah, the Hanbalite medieval scholar, said that “hunting out of necessity is permitted; if it is for fun and playing, it is detested; and if it causes injustice to people, by destroying their fields and property, it is prohibited.”12

People should behave with great responsibility regarding hunting. Hunting should be out of necessity; where necessity is defined in terms of need for food, where other means are not possible. One should also take into consideration the authorities determination of hunting seasons and the kind and number of animals and birds allowed to be hunted. Also, hunting tools that cause great pain should be prohibited. The latter include traps that lock on the leg of the animal causing pain and bleeding until the hunter returns which could be for days!

The following story shows that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, did not tolerate any “hunting” which was not out of necessity. Ibn Mas`ud said: “We were traveling with the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, when he left [us for a while]; we saw a bird with its two chicks and we took the chicks. [Their mother] started spreading its wings [in protest]. When the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, came [and saw what happened] he said: ‘Who caused her to become bereaved [by taking away] her two children? Return her two children to her!’”13

One can appreciate the position of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, much more when one realizes the choice of words used in the hadith. Instead of chicks [farkhiyha], he used children [waladayha] which, reflect the a very humane perspective.

Moreover, one should not take lightly the issue of killing, without any justification, even if the victim is a very small animal or bird. `Abdullah Ibn `Amr reported that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

“No human being kills a sparrow or [something] larger, without right, except that God will ask him about it (hold him responsible!) on the Day of Judgment” It was said: ‘O Prophet of God! What is its right?’ He said: ‘Its right is that you slaughter it and eat it, not that you decapitate it and throw it!’”14

Another hadith to the same effect was narrated by Ahmad, Al-Nisa’i and Ibn Hibban from the report of Al-Sharid, may Allah be pleased with him, he said: I heard the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, saying:

“If you kill a sparrow senselessly, it will hasten to God on the Day of Judgment saying: ‘O Lord! So and So killed me for play and not for use!’”

Commenting on the previous two narrations and what could be deduced from them, Dr. Yusuf Al-Qaradawi said:

“The Jurist [faqih] deduces from them the prohibition of the killing of an animal except for food. That is why Imam Al-Mundhiri included both of them in his book at-Targhib wa at-Tarhib, in order to warn people against mutilating animals, and killing them except for food.

Animal rights groups deduce that it is imperative to respect these living beings, to protect their life, and not to touch them except for a need.

The ecologists see in these two narrations the necessity to preserve the components of the environment, and not to allow [destructive] playing which will lead to the annihilation and extinction of these components without any reason.

As for the economist, he understands that the hadith clearly brings the attention to the imperative need to protect all resources. They should not be wasted in vain without any economic return. Killing an edible animal without eating it means the loss of a part of the national resources, albeit small.

The scholar of ethics realizes the comprehensive nature of Islamic ethics. He also sees how broad is the domain of responsibility which includes, in addition to human beings, all living beings including animals and birds. Indeed, in other narrations, it includes inanimate objects.

The same applies to the scholar of education, for Islamic education has a broad horizon, and goes beyond religious education, which in the minds of many people is restricted to imbuing the creed, and teaching the rituals. It is education that encompasses every activity of the human which practiced in life: spiritual and material, religious and worldly, individual and social, theoretical and practical.”15

Another area of prohibition covers the hunting of wild animals for reasons other than food (e.g. for fur). Mu`awiya, may Allah be pleased with him, reported that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said: “Do not ‘ride’ on silk and tiger fur”16

The prohibition of the use of silk and tiger fur, for seating, whether on saddles or in homes, is to prevent pompous life styles. One can deduce, by analogy, that the fur of all wild cats can not be used. This might come in handy to help in the protection of the endangered Asian tigers that face the extinction though for a different reason. Many people in South East Asia and the Far East believe in the existence of Aphrodisiac foods that are associated with “strong” animals including parts of tigers…etc.

In addition, Islam prohibits the use of animals as targets for shooting. Ibn `Umar passed by a group of youth, from the tribe of Quraysh, who were shooting their arrows at a bird, and whenever they miss the aim, the owner of the bird takes the arrow for himself. But when they saw Ibn `Umar they dispersed. He exclaimed: who did this? May he be cursed!17 The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, cursed those who create a target out of a being with a soul.

Any unjustified killing of an animal, direct or indirect is prohibited. There is a great punishment awaiting those who do so. Ibn `Umar reported that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

“A woman who tied a cat will go to Hellfire; she neither fed it, nor allowed it to find food on its own.”18

The prohibition to kill animals for no public or private good has been already mentioned in the speech of Abu Bakr to the Muslim army.

Furthermore, hitting the animals and marking them in the face is prohibited. Jabir reported a hadith to this effect: one should look for alternative ways to mark animals such as non poisonous paint…etc.19

It is also prohibited to set animals against one another. This practice is associated nowadays with gambling. Ibn `Abbas reported a hadith in which the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, prohibits this practice.20

The Shari`ah aims to protect animals from abuse in the name of having fun or sport. It is clear that “wrestling” bulls cannot be accepted from an Islamic perspective as a sport. I find it obnoxious that sport programs air these “sports”! One should reconsider whether harming oneself or others, be it humans [e.g. boxing] or animals, could be included in sports.

To protect the animals, Islam has also looked into the load an animal can carry without harm. The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, prohibited riding on weak animals.21

The Companions and later on generations acted according to this Hadith: Malik reported that `Umar Ibn Al-Khattab, when he was a Caliph, passed by a donkey with mud blocks on it. He [assessed that the load was excessive and] unloaded two blocks. The lady who owned the donkey asked `Umar: Do you have an authority over my donkey? He answered: What do you think I am doing in this position?22

It is clear that the institution of the Caliphate, the highest executive office in the Islamic state, is responsible for the welfare of all the living beings within its jurisdiction. This is clear in the answer of `Umar Ibn Al-Khattab. It is also vivid in the decrees of Caliphs who came later. According to Ibn `Abd Al-Hakam, `Umar Ibn `Abd Al-`Aziz sent a letter to the governor of Egypt asking him to reduce the load of a camel from one thousand to six hundred pounds.23

Not only physical harm to animals is prohibited, but also insulting or cursing. An-Nawawi, in his famous compendium of Hadith Riyad as-Salihin which has a topical arrangement, established a chapter under the title “The Prohibition of Cursing a Specific Human being or an Animal”. He narrated a hadith based on the report of `Imran Ibn Al-Hasin who said:

“The Messenger of God, peace and blessings be upon him, was traveling once [with a group of companions which included] a woman from amongst the Ansar on a camel. [It seems that at one point driving her camel became difficult] she was annoyed, and cursed the camel! The Messenger of God heard her and said: ‘Now that it is cursed, unload it and allow it [to roam free].’”

`Imran said: I can almost see it now going around amongst people and no one pays attention to it

One of the most unique features of the Shari `ah is the way voluntary almsgiving [sadaqah] is distributed. It is stated that it could be given “to rescue those in need amongst the servants of God and the creatures that God has enjoined upon us to take care of them.”25
This position is also stated by Ibn Taymiyyah who said that “being good to animals is one way of Worshipping God [`Ibadah]”.26 All this is in line with the Hadith of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him: “There is reward in [caring for] every living being.”27

The books of jurisprudence are full with discourses regarding the care of animals. This should not come as a surprise if we know that one of the prophets of Islam, Sulayman [Solomon], peace and blessings be upon him, has changed the path of his army to avoid hurting ants:

“At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants said: ‘O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his soldiers crush you (under foot) without knowing it.’ So he smiled, amused at her speech; and he said: ‘O my Lord! So order me that I may be grateful for thy favors, which Thou hast bestowed on me and my parents, and that I may work the righteousness that will please Thee: and admit me, by Thy Grace, to the ranks of Thy righteous Servants.’” (Qur’an, 27:18-19)

So the greatness of the kingdom that was granted to prophet Sulayman, along with all the might associated with it, did not prevent him from heeding to the ants. This position towards the ants is further confirmed in a Hadith narrated by Abu Dawud, with a sound chain of narrators, that Ibn `Abbas reported that the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, prohibited the killing of four creatures: “The ant, the bee, the hoopoe and the sparrow-hawk.”

The story of Nuh and the Flood also confirms the utmost care to prevent the extinction of any species. God commanded him to carry a pair of every species in the ark:

“…We said: “Embark therein, of each kind two, male and female…” (Qur’an, 11:40 )

Yet, when an animal is proven to be a source of danger or harm, it is permitted to kill it. Al-Bukhari and Muslim narrated from the report of `A’ishah that the Messenger, peace and blessings be upon him, said:

“Five creatures, all harmful, can be killed in the Haram [Sanctuary of Makkah]: the crow, the kite, the scorpion, the mouse and the dog that bites [people without being provoked]”.
If it were not for the harm, actual or anticipated, there would be no permission to kill these animals, rodents, insects and birds. This message is further confirmed in another Hadith of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, he said:

“Weren’t the dogs a community like all communities, I would have ordered the killing of [all] of them. So kill the wild and black amongst them.”28

The reference to animals living in communities is clearly stated in the Qur’an:

“There is not an animal (that lives) on the earth, nor a being that flies on its wings, but (forms part of) communities like you…” (Qur’an, 6:38 )

The Hadith that allows killing the said five animals in the Haram, shows that the original position towards the Haram, the Noble Sanctuary in Makkah, is to prohibit any act of killing, including hunting, by pilgrims. Also cutting the trees of the Haram is prohibited. The Haram might be considered the first protected “natural reservation” in the history of humanity. To emphasize the sanctity of the Haram, which is created by Divine order, the transgressors are punished:

“ye who believe! Kill not game while in the Sacred precincts or in pilgrim garb. If any of you doth so intentionally, the compensation is an offering, brought to the Ka`bah, of a domestic animal equivalent to the one killed, as adjudged by two just men among you; or by way of atonement, the feeding of the indigent; or its equivalent in fasts: that he may taste the penalty of his deed. God forgives what is past: for repetition God will exact from him the penalty. For God is Exalted, and the Lord of Retribution.” (Qur’an, 5:98)

Rest of Article here

The Article also includes Human Beings, Plants, the Air, Water, and Land.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Jazak Allah =)

snakelegs
10-20-2006, 12:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
SubhanAllah i love this thread. Keep it up guys!
me too - this is a great thread. again thanks to everyone. i liked the stories about the ant too, even if i confess that they are one critter i do kill - but only if they come in to the house and take over the kitchen.
thanks syilla and charisma!
this is pretty cool too "The prostration of everything in the universe to Allaah":
http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=27036&ln=eng

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-20-2006, 12:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
me too - this is a great thread. again thanks to everyone. i liked the stories about the ant too, even if i confess that they are one critter i do kill - but only if they come in to the house and take over the kitchen.
Lol I try not to kill them, instead I pick them up with a paper or something and put them outside lol. Since I know now your not supposed too. I killed a bee few days back =\. I was at uni waiting for class to start and it was on my books lol. Ahhh but I feel bad.

Muezzin
11-17-2006, 01:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

I can't really find any fatwa/ruling on the killing of spider's, sorry.
We don't need a fatwa to know you shouldn't kill 'em though. You never know, one might be radioative and bite you with its dying breath, giving you the abilities and proportional strength of a spider!

With great power comes great responsibility.

And with great tiredness comes non-sensical posts such as this one. :p

Umar001
11-17-2006, 02:19 AM
Do hamsters come under rats and mice, cos I realy raelly want one or two or three, i remember i had a mouse, had it secretly at home and then i lost it and then my mom and brother saw it on a different night as they were sitting down watchin tv run across the front room lol thats when i was younger though :p

Lol Edit, this somali brother told me, he always tells me stories, but he said the lizard was outside the cave when the mushriks were there, and it pointed at the cave with its tongue.

- Qatada -
11-17-2006, 12:32 PM
I havn't heard of any narration like that bro 'EesaAbdullah [it's not mentioned in the seerah by awlaki], but this is what i've read about the salamander which is kinda like a lizard:

And it can grow this big:

In al-Saheehayn and elsewhere it is narrated via Sa’eed ibn al-Musayyib that Um Shareek told him that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told her to kill salamanders. According to the report narrated by al-Bukhaari, he said: “It (the salamander) used to blow on Ibraaheem, peace be upon him.”

Ibn Maajah (may Allaah have mercy on him) narrated in his Sunan from Saa’ibah the slave woman of al-Faakih ibn al-Mugheerah that she entered upon ‘Aa’ishah and saw a spear sitting there in her house. She said, “O Mother of the Believers, what do you do with this?” She said, “We kill these salamanders with it, because the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that when Ibraaheem was thrown into the fire, there was no animal on earth but it tried to extinguish the fire, except for the salamander, which was blowing on the fire (to keep it burning). So the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded that they should be killed.”

(Sunan Ibn Maajah, 3222. He said in al-Zawaa’id, the isnaad of ‘Aa’ishah’s hadeeth is saheeh, its men are thiqaat (trustworthy)

(But this isn't being harsh because we're supposed to kill him with as less blows as possible: )

He - the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever kills a salamander with one blow will have such and such hasanah (good deeds); whoever kills it with the second blow will have such and such hasanah, less than the first; and whoever kills it with three blows will have such and such hasanah – less that the second.”

And Allaah knows best.

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=138...txt=salamander

Muhammad
11-17-2006, 02:33 PM

On this topic, I recently came across the following article:

http://muslimheritage.com/topics/def...?ArticleID=561

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.