/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bid'ah, what is it?

Umar001
10-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Am totally confused.

For example, I shook someone's hand and they told me something along the lines of 'brother, brother thats bid'ah' and I was like what? and he said don't shake people's hand with two hands, meaning I used one hand to shake his hand normally but I also used the other hand to just 'hold' I don't knw how to explain it.

kinda like this:

So am confused, what is bid'ah what have the scholars said it is.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
10-29-2006, 11:09 PM
what's wrong with shaking his hand, you are the same gender right?

Hmm

Interesting!

Biddah = innovation, usually, added stuff on real stuff, duno wah scholars say sowi!

AsalamuAlaykum.

amirah_87
10-29-2006, 11:18 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

The Prophet salallaahu 'alayhi wasallam shook the hands of the sahaabah/companions in The Bay'at of Ridhwaan and other Bay'aat..
so i don't think that this is Bi'dah wallaahu A'lam!!

Read here for the definiton of Al-Bid'ah:

Linguistically Bid'ah (innovation) means 'a newly invented matter'.

The Sharee'ah definition of Bid'ah is: "A newly invented way [beliefs or action] in the religion, in imitation of the Sharee'ah (prescribed Law), by which nearness to Allaah is sought, [but] not being supported by any authentic proof - neither in its foundations, nor in the manner in which it is performed.".
Hope that helps InshaAllah!

Pk_#2
10-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Jzakhala sista,

so much more easier to understand ur posts!

:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-29-2006, 11:20 PM
sis the definiton is tooo small..unless its my eyes:/..

:w:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-29-2006, 11:25 PM
:sl:

Linguistically Bid'ah (innovation) means 'a newly invented matter'.

The Sharee'ah definition of Bid'ah is: "A newly invented way [beliefs or action] in the religion, in imitation of the Sharee'ah (prescribed Law), by which nearness to Allaah is sought, [but] not being supported by any authentic proof - neither in its foundations, nor in the manner in which it is performed." Al-I'tisaam of ash-Shaatibee (1/37).
Allahu Alam, but I think that shaking hands that way does not fit the shari' definition of Bid'ah, so Inshallah you should be ok. But the better thing to do would be to ask a scholor Inshallah.

Read more about Bid'ah and the evil of it here:

BIDAH (INNOVATIONS in Allaah's religion)

Hadith: Rejection of Evil Deeds and Innovations

Innovation in the Light of the Perfection of the Shariah by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Sâlih al-'Uthaymîn (d. 1421 AH / n/a CE)

There is no such thing as "Good Innovations" in Islam

Bid'ah Hasanah ("Good Innovations")

Detailed discussion of bid’ah and shirk

Mocking innovators

Umar001
10-29-2006, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
what's wrong with shaking his hand, you are the same gender right?

Hmm

Interesting!

Biddah = innovation, usually, added crap on real stuff, duno wah scholars say sowi!

AsalamuAlaykum.
Wa Aleykum Salam, the problem sister was that I shook his hand with two of my hands.

Zidne3ilmnaafa
10-30-2006, 12:17 AM
assalamu alaikum wr wb

Biddah usually relates to matters of worship (3abadaat).

Shaking hands as far as I know is not a matter of worship, but merely a greeting.

Intent is also 1/3 of all of Islamic law, which is based upon the Hadith of Amir AlMoomineen Omar Ibn AlKhattab RAA. (You must know the persons intent or ask them regarding their intent before providing them a ruling)

Many people misunderstand the meaning of biddah and its relationship to Islamic law.

If I decide to eat Cheetos and the Prophet PBUH did not eat cheetos, this is in fact not a biddah.

However, if 30 people in the mosque decide to read each one chapter of the Quran over the dead, then this would be considered a biddah or innovation in the religion, since recitation of Quran is a matter of worship and the Prophet PBUH was commanded to convey the complete message to us and he PBUH has conveyed the message fully, so their is no need for us to innovate.

In regards to your shaking hands as some people do directly after prayer, saying Taqabal Allah (May Allah accept) this has no basis nor evidence in Islam and would be considered a biddah especially if the person who provides the greeting believes or his intent is that this greeting is part of his prayer.

Allah knows best:uhwhat

Ummu Sufyaan
10-30-2006, 06:25 AM
:sl: brothers and sisters.

heres somehthing about shaking hands:

HAzrat Ana (raiallahu anhu) says that a man asked the Holy Prophet (salalahu aleyhi wa salam) 'O messenger of Allah! when any one ofus meet a Muslim brother or a friend then should he bow his head (as a sign of cortesy to him)?' He said: 'No' the man said: 'should he embrace and kiss him. He said: 'No' the man then asked: 'should he clasp his hands?' he said 'Yes' (tirmithi)

Pk_#2
10-30-2006, 09:51 AM
why is the link like that?

Malaikah
10-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Question:
As Salaam Alaikum Wa Rahmat Allah wa Barakatu

I have a question in the area of what is and isn't Bidaa. Over and over again I hear people terming certain actions as Bidaa. I am however confused. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a hadith by Prophet Muhammed (SAW) that says that anyone who introduces a new helpful hadith will be rewarded. If this is true, then why are all new inovations frowned upon. Jazak Allah Khul Khayer.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly, we should know what "bid'ah" means according to Islamic teaching.

It is defined as: any invented way in religion that is aimed at worshipping or drawing closer to Allaah. This means anything that is not referred to specifically in Sharee'ah, and for which there is no evidence (daleel) in the Qur'aan or Sunnah, and which was not known at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his Companions. At the same time, it is quite obvious that this definition of religious inventions or innovations, which are condemned, does not include worldly inventions [such as cars and washing machines, etc. - Translator].

If your confusion has to do with an apparent contradiction between the hadeeth narrated by Abu Hurayrah and the hadeeth narrated by Jareer ibn 'Abdullaah, then let us examine these two reports and find out what they mean:

Jareer ibn 'Abdullaah al-Bajali (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'Whoever starts a good thing and is followed by others, will have his own reward and a reward equal to that of those who follow him, without it detracting from their reward in any way. Whoever starts a bad thing and is followed by others, will bear the burden of his own sin and a burden equal to that of those who follow him, without it detracting from their burden in any way.'" (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2675. He said, This is a saheeh hasan hadeeth)

There is a story behind this hadeeth, which will explain what "whoever starts a good thing" means. Imaam Muslim reported this story from Jareer ibn 'Abdullaah, who also narrated the hadeeth itself. He said: "Some people from the Bedouin came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), wearing woollen garments. He saw that they were in bad shape and in desperate need, so he urged the people to give them charity. They people were very slow to respond, and it could be seen in his face (that he was upset). Then a man of the Ansaar brought a package of silver, then another came, and another and another, and his face was filled with joy. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'Whoever starts a good thing in Islam, and others do likewise after him, there will be written for him a reward like that of those who followed him, without it detracting in the least from their reward. Whoever starts a bad thing in Islam, and others do likewise after him, there will be written for him a burden of sin like that of those who followed him, without it detracting in the least from their burden.'" (Reported by Muslim, no. 1017)

Further explanation may be found in a report recorded by al-Nisaa'i, also from Jareer ibn 'Abdullah, may Allaah be pleased with him, who said: "We were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) early one day, when some people who were almost naked (not dressed properly) and barefoot, with their swords by their sides, came to him. Most, if not all of them, were of (the tribe of) Mudar. The Messenger's face changed when he saw how poor they were (i.e., he became upset). He went into (his house), then he came out and ordered Bilaal to give the call to prayer. He led the people in prayer, then he addressed them, saying: 'O people, "be dutiful to your Lord, Who created you from a single person, and from him He created his wife, and from them both he created many men and women, and fear Allaah through Whom you demand your mutual (rights), and (do not cut the relations of) the wombs (kinship)" [al-Nisaa' 4:1].

"Fear Allaah, and keep your duty to Him. And let every person look to what he has sent forth for the morrow…" [al-Hashr 59:18].

Let a man give charity from his dinars, his dirhams, his clothing, his wheat or his dates - even if it is only half a date.' A man from the Ansaar brought a package which he could hardly carry in his hand, then another and another came, until there were two piles, of food and clothing, and I saw the face of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) beaming with joy. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'Whoever starts a good thing in Islam will have his own reward and a reward equal to that of those who follow him, without it detracting in the least from their reward, and whoever starts a bad thing in Islam will have to bear the burden of his own sin and a burden equal to that of those who followed him, without it detracting in the least from their burden. (Reported by al-Nisaa'i in al-Mujtaba: Kitaab al-Zakaat, Bab al-Tahreed 'ala al-Sadaqah).

From the context of the story, it is clear that what is meant by the words "whoever starts a good thing (sunnah hasanah) in Islam" means: Whoever revives a part of the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), or teaches it to others, or commands others to follow it, or acts according to it so that others see him or hear about it and follow his example. This is also indicated by the hadeeth narrated by Abu Hurayrah, may Allaah be pleased with him, who said: "A man came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he urged the people to give him charity. A man said: 'I have such-and-such,' and there was no person left in the gathering who did not give something in charity to him, whether it was a large amount or a little. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'Whoever starts something good, and others follow his lead, will have a complete reward and a reward like that of those who followed him, without it detracting in the least from their reward. Whoever starts something bad, and others follow his lead, will bear a complete burden of sin, and a burden like that of those who followed him, without it detracting in the least from their burden. (Reported by Ibn Maaajah in al-Sunan, no. 204)

It should be clear from the above, with no room for doubt, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was not allowing innovation in matters of deen (religion), nor was he opening the door to what some people call "bid'ah hasanah," for the following reasons:

1. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stated repeatedly that: "Every newly-invented thing is a bid'ah (innovation), every bid'ah is a going astray, and every going astray will be in the Fire." (Reported by al-Nisaa'i in al-Sunan, Salaat al-'Eedayn, Baab kayfa al-Khutbah). Reports with the same meaning were narrated via Jaabir (may Allaah be pleased with him) by Ahmad, via al-'Irbaad ibn Saariyah by Abu Dawud and via Ibn Mas'ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) by Ibn Maajah.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say, when beginning a khutbah (sermon): "… The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The worst of things are those which are newly-invented, and every innovation is a going astray…" (reported by Muslim, no. 867)

If every bid'ah is a going astray, how can some people then say that there is such a thing in Islam as "bid'ah hasanah"? By Allaah, this is an obvious contradiction of the statement and warning of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).
2. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stated that whoever innovates something new in the deen (religion) will have his deed rejected, and Allaah will not accept it, as is stated in the hadeeth narrated by 'Aa'ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), who said: "The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours that is not a part of it will have it rejected.'" (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath al-Baari, no. 2697). How can anybody then say that bid'ah is acceptable and it is permitted to follow it?

3. When a person innovates something and adds to the deen something that does not belong to it, he is implying a number of bad things, each worse than the last, for example:

* That the religion is lacking, that Allaah did not complete and perfect it, and that there is room for improvement. This clearly contradicts the statement in the Qur'aan (interpretation of the meaning): "… This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion…" [al-Maa'idah 5:3]
* That the religion remained imperfect from the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) until the time when this innovator came along and completed it with his own ideas.
* That the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was "guilty" of either of two things: either he was ignorant of this "good innovation," or he knew about it but concealed it, thus letting his ummah down by not conveying it.
* That the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), his Companions and the righteous salaf (early generations) missed out on the reward of this "good innovation" - until this innovator came along and earned it for himself, despite the fact that he should say to himself, "If it was truly good, they would have been the first to do it."
* Opening the door to bid'ah leads to changing the deen (religion) and opens the way for personal whims and opinions, because every innovator implies that what he is introducing is something good, so whose opinion are we supposed to follow, and which of them should we take as a leader?
* Following bid'ah leads to the cancelling out of sunnah practices and the ways of the salaf. Real life bears witness that whenever a bid'ah is followed, a sunnah practice dies out; the reverse is also true.

We ask Allaah to save us from the misguidance of personal whims and from all trials whether they are open or secret. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
Source

Pk_#2
10-30-2006, 10:07 AM
AsalamuAlaykum,

woah jazakhala,

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say, when beginning a khutbah (sermon): "… The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The worst of things are those which are newly-invented, and every innovation is a going astray…" (reported by Muslim, no. 867)

Thanks for the Quotes also!

Malaikah
10-30-2006, 10:07 AM

Wa iyyakum :)

Pk_#2
10-30-2006, 11:44 AM
nah dint work :)

ok AsalamuAlaykum!

Ansar Al-'Adl
10-30-2006, 01:40 PM
http://www.islamtoday.com/show_detai...main_cat_id=14

azim
10-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Asalaamu alaykum.

I've been told that the Prophet (pbuh) used to, when shaking hands, also place his palm facing upwards so that his hand is lower than of the person he shakes, in humility.

Not entirely relevant to the discussion but a nice hadith I quite like.

amirah_87
10-30-2006, 06:56 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Is that Hadeeth Authentic Akhee?, could you provide it's Takhreej please?

BarakAllah feek!! :)

Far7an
10-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Also, about this 'good bid'ah' business. This is what Mufti Taqi Uthmani, the hanafi scholar from Pakistan had to say about it in his book 'Bidat ek Gumrah' (Bid`ah- A Misguidance):

The categories that people have created, that there is Bid`ah hasanah and bid`ah saiyyi'ah. Remember! There is no [such thing as] good bid`ah! The way that was not deemed incumbent (necessary) by the Nabi, His Khulafah and Sahabah; there's no power in this world which has the authority to declare it waajib or sunnah or mustahab! If some one does that, then that's dhalalah and misguidance. This would mean that (naudhoobillah) they [the Nabi and Sahabah] did not understand the deen to the extent we do!

Umm Yoosuf
10-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaah

Hadith - Abu Dawood, Narrated Al-Bara' ibn Azib
The Prophet said: If two Muslims meet, shake hands, praise Allah, and ask Him for forgiveness, they will be forgiven.

Allah Knows best. A sister told me it is better to shake with two hands. I didn’t ask her for any evidence. Perhaps you should ask this brother for evidence of his saying Insha Allah.

amirah_87
10-30-2006, 07:15 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

JazaakAllahu Khayran for bringing that up!!

There is no such thing as Bi'dh Hasana wa Bid'ah siyy'ah , good and bad Bid'ah! :heated:

The Ulamaah say that this "taqseem"(division) is Baatil (False/invalid/groundless)

"Wa Kullu Bid'ah Dalaalah, Wa Kullu Dalaalahtin Fin-Naar"

"& Every Innovation is Misguidance , and every Misguidance leads to hell fire.."

Ibnu Umar Radiyallaahu 'anhu also said:
Every Innovation is misguidance, even if the people see it has good!!

Far7an
10-30-2006, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
In case someone missed this link that Ansar posted, I'll paste part of it.
Shaking hands is a Sunnah. However it is not a formal act of worship like prayer and fasting that must be performed in a specific way. Therefore, the question of innovation does not come into play here. We believe that the manner of shaking hands is something to be done according to customs of the people.

It is well-known that in some eastern societies, when someone uses two hands in welcoming his counterpart, it is an indication of affection towards him. In some parts of the Arab world, it is customary to greet a person by placing the left hand on the other person’s elbow when shaking his hand. In parts of the Sudan, it is the custom to first place one’s hand on his counterpart’s shoulder before taking his hand.

The important thing is to greet your brother with “salâm” and to shake his hand.

Umar001
10-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Yea I mean to me its like a natural thing I don't think about it, I don't 'Let me shake his hand with two hands to get reward and close to Allah' I do think that I should shake hands because of the hadeeth of the forgiveness so I do, but I just shake it how it shakes lol. Its just how it is from back home I guess. Hmm. InshaAllah if someone mentions it next time I will ask, I was going to before but I didnt want to in front of other brothers incase the brother would have felt defensive.

Musalmaan
10-31-2006, 08:49 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
So am confused, what is bid'ah what have the scholars said it is.
a short answer.

Bidah is what that has no basis in shariah.

now question comes what is shariah?

Shariah is the teachings that is derived from
1. Qur'an
2. Hadith
3. the consensus (ijmaa) of the prophet's companions and
4. the ijtehad of the qualified imams.

for a little more in-depth study, refer to this thread

http://www.islamicboard.com/sects-di...madh-habs.html

After Shirk, the most condemned thing in Islam is biddah.

may Allah save us all from all sort of shirk and biddah.

Musalmaan
11-01-2006, 07:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musalmaan

a short answer.

Bidah is what that has no basis in shariah.

now question comes what is shariah?

Shariah is the teachings that is derived from
1. Qur'an
2. Hadith
3. the consensus (ijmaa) of the prophet's companions and
4. the ijtehad of the qualified imams.

for a little more in-depth study, refer to this thread

http://www.islamicboard.com/sects-di...madh-habs.html

After Shirk, the most condemned thing in Islam is biddah.

may Allah save us all from all sort of shirk and biddah.

well this was not my own definition, this is how scholar define bid'ah. :)

if for eg, some believer says "Quran is enough guide for me" he wld abosultely correct in saying this, cuz considering all the "four sources" (mentioned above) for knowing matter of deen is actually following the guidance of Quran Al Kareem, the revelation/Kalaam of Allah SWT.

Mufti Ebrahim Desai replies with the query "what is bid'ah"

Bid'ah is an Arabic word meaning innovation. According to Shari'ah, to include anything in Islam which was not present at the time of Rasulullah, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, and the Sahabah, Radi-Allahu anhum, and regard such inclusion as a compulsory component (Fardh-waajib) of Islam. For example, the syllabus taught to children in a Maktab to enable them to read the Qur'an is permissible. To regard the syllabus as a compulsory component of Deen is Bid'ah. If anything that is permissible but projected as compulsory in Shari'ah is Bid'ah as that projects a distorted vision of Shari'ah. It is imperative to preserve the prestine purity of Shari'ah by condemning every act of Bid'ah.
And Allah Taala Knows Best.
http://www.albalagh.net/qa/bidah-questions.shtml

Malaikah
11-01-2006, 08:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musalmaan
if for eg, some believer says "Quran is enough guide for me" he wld abosultely correct in saying this, cuz considering all the "four sources" (mentioned above) for knowing matter of deen is actually following the guidance of Quran Al Kareem, the revelation/Kalaam of Allah SWT.

Can you please explain what you mean by this?

Musalmaan
11-01-2006, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

Can you please explain what you mean by this?
it means that those who truly follow Quran, follows Quran (Allah's kalaam), Hadith (prophet's sayings), prophet's companion and Ijtihaad of qualified Mujhtahid in Ijtihaadi matter.

Obeying them ^^ is obeying Quranic Command (Allah's command).

So as Hadith rejector claim "we follow Quran" is lie.
So as Madhab rejector claim "we follow Quran & Hadith" is lie.

i hope i make it simpler.

For more understanding, read tafseer of Surah Fatihah Ayah # 7.

Recommended Tafseer, Ma'ariful Qur'an by Mufti Muhammad Shafi'i r.a.

insha'Allah it opens up alot of understanding of Allah's deen, and how the deen of Allah remains protected and what had been the way of its protection.

Malaikah
11-02-2006, 03:58 AM

Yes, I assumed that was what you meant. Jazakaallah khayr.

Islamicboy
11-02-2006, 04:58 AM
There are some people that say sitting on the chair is bidah and not allowed. Also there are some people that will say dont sleep on the bed its bidah. So is it bidah to drive a car? As far as i understood it is only bidah in religion that not allowed correct. What does sitting on a chair have to do with religion?

F.Y.
11-02-2006, 05:14 AM
IsaAbdullah - I think it's all the rage right now to focus on fussy minute details like 'shaking hands'. I don't think its anything to get our knickers in a knot over. I think people should be focusing on the real problems that are going on instead of how many hands someone used to shake someone elses hand - it's just extreme, our Prophet (saw) warned us about going too extreme in the Deen. Islam is about moderation.

Just love your brother, shake hands and say salaam.
God knows best.
Peace

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-02-2006, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamicboy
There are some people that say sitting on the chair is bidah and not allowed. Also there are some people that will say dont sleep on the bed its bidah. So is it bidah to drive a car? As far as i understood it is only bidah in religion that not allowed correct. What does sitting on a chair have to do with religion?

Akhi, read the Shari' definition of Bid'ah:

The Sharee'ah definition of Bid'ah is: "A newly invented way [beliefs or action] in the religion, in imitation of the Sharee'ah (prescribed Law), by which nearness to Allaah is sought, [but] not being supported by any authentic proof - neither in its foundations, nor in the manner in which it is performed." Al-I'tisaam of ash-Shaatibee (1/37).

Muslim Soldier
11-07-2006, 05:12 PM
bidha means adding something new to the releigion. Shaking hands in a different manner is not bidha. If it is, then all of you should get offline throw tyr computers, cars, DVD players and buy camels.

Bidha is of two types. Good and Bad.
Good bidha may be like the addition of Aswalatu khayumminananawm. "Prayer is better than sleep", in the adhaan.

Bad bidhaa may be of alowwing abortion, which is haraam.

Hope you get the point

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-07-2006, 05:18 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
Good bidha may be like the addition of Aswalatu khayumminananawm. "Prayer is better than sleep", in the adhaan.

Bad bidhaa may be of alowwing abortion, which is haraam.

Hope you get the point

format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
Also, about this 'good bid'ah' business. This is what Mufti Taqi Uthmani, the hanafi scholar from Pakistan had to say about it in his book 'Bidat ek Gumrah' (Bid`ah- A Misguidance):
The categories that people have created, that there is Bid`ah hasanah and bid`ah saiyyi'ah. Remember! There is no [such thing as] good bid`ah! The way that was not deemed incumbent (necessary) by the Nabi, His Khulafah and Sahabah; there's no power in this world which has the authority to declare it waajib or sunnah or mustahab! If some one does that, then that's dhalalah and misguidance. This would mean that (naudhoobillah) they [the Nabi and Sahabah] did not understand the deen to the extent we do!

Muslim Soldier
11-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Abu Bakr, when he became the khalifa said that when he made mistakes, people had to correct him. So did Umar. So if these khulfaa make mistakes, who gives them the right to add or remove things from the religion?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Abu Bakr, when he became the khalifa said that when he made mistakes, people had to correct him. So did Umar. So if these khulfaa make mistakes, who gives them the right to add or remove things from the religion?

When did they "add and remove" from the religion?

chacha_jalebi
11-09-2006, 06:11 PM
where did they make mistakes? wot mistakes? whats your problem man, why you chattin crap :p

chacha_jalebi
11-09-2006, 06:24 PM
are you talking about when Hadhrat Umar (ra) suggested that the mahr should be lessened, but the woman stood up and said, "how can you say it should be lessened, when in the quran it says give how much you want" and then Hadhrat Umar (ra) said " mashallah, the woman is right"

now now that aint a mistake, its a suggestion :D :p so bro please think before you speak :D and what did they exactly add if anythin? and what other mistakes if any?

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-09-2006, 06:44 PM
On the authority of 'Irbâd ibn Sâriyah that the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said:
فعليكم بسنتي وسنة الخلفاء الراشدين المهديين عضوا عليها ‏ ‏بالنواجذ ‏ ‏وإياكم والأمور المحدثات فإن كل بدعة ضلالة
“Incumbent upon you is my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly-guided correctly-guiding Khulafaa after me, bite (hold) onto it with your molar teeth. And beware of newly invented matters (in the religion), for verily every newly invented matter (in the religion) is a bid’ah and every bid’ah is a misguidance.” (Sunan Abî Dawûd, Jâmi' At-Tirmidhî, Sunan Ibn Mâjah)

chacha_jalebi
11-09-2006, 06:55 PM
^^ also to add to that

a hadith related about Abu Bakr (ra) in sahih muslim and bukhari

RasoolAllah (sal Allah hu aleyhi wasalam) said " if i had to take a khalil apart from Allah (swt) i would have taken Abu Bakr, but he is my brother in islam"

also hadiths about Hadhrat Umar (ra)

in tirmidhi

RasoolAllah (sal allah hu aleyhi wasalam) said " if there had to be another prophet after me, it would be umar ibn khattab"

and and a hadiths in bukhari and muslim

RasoolAllah (sal allah hu aleyhi wassalam) said " Allah has placed the truth upon Umars tongue"

so matey, if the truth has been placed upon Hadhrat Umar (ra)s tongue, then how could he make mistakes? or go againist islam?? same with Hadhrat Abu Bakr (ra) he was the 1st rightfull khilifah and the bestest friend of RasoolAllah, so could he make a mistake? NO NO NO

read :D and learn the truth, before makin up stuff about sahaba and im gona finish off with a hadiths . . . . in sahih muslim

on the authority of Abu Hurairah that the Prophet said: "Do not abuse my Companions. By Allah in Whose Hands my soul rests, if any of you spent money as high as Uhud mountain in Allah's Way, he will not be half as near to the piety, generosity and righteousness of one of them."

so sort yourself out :p

Umar001
11-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Wa aleykum salam,

out of curiousity, is there a hadeeth of the Prophet peace be upon him, which states who they are by name?

chacha_jalebi
11-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Wa aleykum salam,

out of curiousity, is there a hadeeth of the Prophet peace be upon him, which states who they are by name?
in the hadiths it says my companions, which means all the sahaba :D:D:D every single sahaba & companion

because these sahaba aint normal peeps, like we aint even capable of being there shoes, they are so high in the rank of islam :D:D so all we can do is pray that Allah (swt) grants them high status in jannah and we get to meet them in jannah :D:D:D

Umar001
11-09-2006, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
in the hadiths it says my companions, which means all the sahaba :D:D:D every single sahaba & companion

because these sahaba aint normal peeps, like we aint even capable of being there shoes, they are so high in the rank of islam :D:D so all we can do is pray that Allah (swt) grants them high status in jannah and we get to meet them in jannah :D:D:D
Assalamu Aleykum Brother,

Thank you for your quick and beneficial reply which is a great reminder,

What I was refering to though, was if the Prophet, peace be upon him, actually named the rightly guided khalifas

chacha_jalebi
11-09-2006, 07:15 PM
well he didnt name them, but he made it obvious:D like when he was ill, he always chose Hadhrat Abu Bakr (ra) to lead the prayer, and once a woman came to the Prophet (pbuh) and he said he will talk to her later, and he said if she cant find him later, then go to Hadhrat Abu Bakr (ra)!

so it shows that he basically he was hintin, that he would be the next leader, because a leader leads the ummah in prayer, like in ur local community, you have the imam, who is the leader of the congregation, so by choosin Hadhrat Abu Bakr (ra), the Prophet (sal allah hu aleyhi wasalam) was choosin a leader for the ummah in his absence :D:D hope that explains

Umar001
11-09-2006, 07:22 PM
And the other three?

Musalmaan
11-10-2006, 07:47 AM
if they, the khulfah raashideen namely Hazrat Abu Bakr Siddique, Umar, Usman & Ali radhiyallaho anhum, were infallible and were given "rights to add or remove things from the religion", then they would have never asked people to correct them if they made mistakes, (which is agreed in your first part).

the era of Khulfah Raashideen was the era of establishment of deen of Allah. it was the golden period of Islam.

it is the cursed rawafidh (who hate abu bakr and umar r.a) and Kharjiyaah (who hate Usman and Ali r.a) does not regard them as Khulfah Raashideen.

anyways, what i realized from his previous post

this is misunderstanding, misconception created by deviated sects.

Hazrat Umar r.a did not invent this part in fajir adhan rather he establish this sunnah in everywhere of his islamic empire. When he came to know that still there are Musjid where "Assalatul Khairin minan naum" is not being said in fajir adhaan, he sent his ambassador to confirm that it shoud be said so, for the dearest prophet Muhammad Salllallahu Alayhi wa sallam liked this part when Hazrat Bilal r.a used to wake him up by saying this beautiful words when prophet used to take a little nap after completeing his tahajjud salaah.

prophet what he likes for himself, like for his whole ummah, so he, Muhammad Sallalahu alayhi wa sallam, told bilal r.a to make it part of Fajir adhan so that his whole ummah receive its goodness.

Similarly, for the Mutah case, when Hazrat Umar r.a came to know that still there are muslim fighters in some part that were still practising mutah, he command all the commanders to make sure if it was not practised anymore, for prophet Muhammad Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam had terminated it in his life.

So Umar r.a and all the Rightly Guided Caliph did not change the religion of Allah as some deviated sects believe, rather they established the sunnah and deen of Allah, as per the promise of Allah SWT.

024.055 Allah has promised, to those among you who
believe and work righteous deeds, that He will, of a surety, grant them in the
land, inheritance (of power), as He granted it to those before them; that
He will establish in authority their religion - the one which He has chosen
for them
; and that He will change (their state), after the fear in which
they (lived), to one of security and peace: 'They will worship Me (alone) and
not associate aught with Me. 'If any do reject Faith after this, they are
rebellious and wicked.

hLearn Islam from those whom Allah chosen to protect His deen (Qur'an and all the teachings of Prophet Muhammad Sallalho alyhi wa sallam), and the sole Protector is He alone.

Mohsin
11-10-2006, 07:51 AM
And the other three?
I dont think there is any authentic narration of him naming Umar Bin Khattab Uthman and Ali RA, but he spoke highly of all of them. Some hadiths about Umar have already been posted, maybe someone can provide hadiths about the last two

Muslim Soldier
11-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Wa aleykum salam,

Assalamu Aleykum Brother,

Thank you for your quick and beneficial reply which is a great reminder,

What I was refering to though, was if the Prophet, peace be upon him, actually named the rightly guided khalifas
Yes in fact there are. However the hadith do not say there will be 4 khalifs but say there will be 12, and that too from Qurasyh from Bani Hashim.

• "There will be twelve commanders (Amir)" ... "All of them will be from Quraish."[1]

• "The matter (life) will not end, until it is passed by twelve Caliphs" ... "All of them will be from Quraish." [2]

• "The affairs of people will continue to be conducted (well) as long as they are governed by the twelve men." [3]

• "Islam will continue to be triumphant until there have been twelve Caliphs." [4]

• "The Islamic religion will continue until the Hour (day of resurrection), having twelve Caliphs for you, all of them will be from Quraish." [5]

• "There shall be twelve Caliphs for this community, all of them from Quraish." [6]

• "Twelve Caliphs, (like) the number of the Chiefs of Bani Israel." [7]

• "There will be after me twelve Amir (Prince/Ruler), all of them from Quraysh." [8]

• "This religion remains standing until there are twelve vicegerents over you, all of them agreeable to the nation, all of them from Quraysh." [9]

• "Islam will continue to be triumphant until there have been twelve Caliphs" ... "All of them are from Quraysh." [10]

• "This nation will always remain straight in its affairs, and triumphant against the enemies, till twelve Caliphs will be among them; all of them from Quraysh. Then there will be discord and confusion." [11]

• "There will be twelve upright Imams for this nation. Those who try to disgrace them will not succeed; all of them shall be from the Quraysh." [12]

• "The affair of the people will continue as long as twelve men rule over them." [12]

• "This religion will remain till twelve Imams from Quraysh (will pass), then when they expire the earth will swallow its inhabitants."[12]

• "The affair of this nation will always be apparent till the twelve Imams will rise, all of them from the Quraysh." [12]
  • "There will be Caliphs after me, whose number is like those of the companions of Musa." [13]
(Reference in brackets)
http://www.geocities.com/ahlulbayt14/12.html for more info

Muslim Soldier
11-10-2006, 07:02 PM
are you talking about when Hadhrat Umar (ra) suggested that the mahr should be lessened, but the woman stood up and said, "how can you say it should be lessened, when in the quran it says give how much you want" and then Hadhrat Umar (ra) said " mashallah, the woman is right"

now now that aint a mistake, its a suggestion :D :p so bro please think before you speak :D and what did they exactly add if anythin? and what other mistakes if any?
so hadhrat Umar has the right to make suggestions which can change the religion? :rollseyes

Muslim Soldier
11-10-2006, 07:10 PM
^^ also to add to that

so matey, if the truth has been placed upon Hadhrat Umar (ra)s tongue, then how could he make mistakes? or go againist islam?? same with Hadhrat Abu Bakr (ra) he was the 1st rightfull khilifah and the bestest friend of RasoolAllah, so could he make a mistake? NO NO NO

:p
what about the time when Umar condemned Abu Bakr and Khalid bin Walids rape on the wife of Malik bin Nuwayra?

Who made the mistake, Umar or Abu Bakr?

Muslim Soldier
11-10-2006, 07:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohsin
I dont think there is any authentic narration of him naming Umar Bin Khattab Uthman and Ali RA, but he spoke highly of all of them. Some hadiths about Umar have already been posted, maybe someone can provide hadiths about the last two
Of Umar, no
But Ali? Many
At Ghadeer for instance
Dont you agree?

chacha_jalebi
11-10-2006, 10:57 PM
what about the time when Umar condemned Abu Bakr and Khalid bin Walids rape on the wife of Malik bin Nuwayra?

erm ive never heard of that, give a AUTHENTIC source,

why do you be so ignorant brother? you know that Hadhrat Umar (ra) Hadhrat Abu Bakr (ra) Uthman (ra) Ali (ra) are all our leaders, why you differentiating between them?

read the hadiths about cursing the sahaba?

and you mashallah got all them hadiths from sahih muslim, and sahih bukhari, why dont you read the books of virtues of the sahaba, i think its book num 57 :D :p and please quote some of them hadiths about Abu Bakr (ra) and Umar (ra) and Uthman (ra)

when there is a matter of dispute, as muslims in the Quran, we are advised to hold a ash shura council, and settle the matter der, when Abu Bakr (ra) was elected as khilafah, there was a council between the ansar and muhajiroon! and they decided to make Hadhrat ABU BAKR (RA) the 1st khilifah:D end off, you lose :p

and you go on about Hadhrat Ali (ra) you dont even know things about Hadhrat Ali (ra), he married his daughter to Hadhrat Umar (ra) because he said there wasnt a better man alive, when he heard Abu Bakr (ra) was elected khilifah, Hadhrat Ali (ra) may Allah (swt) grant him so much happyness, he was wearin his undergarments, and he came running out to give bayaah to Abu Bakr (ra), thats how happy he was mashallah :D

if as you claim, hadrat Ali (ra) didnt like Abu Bakr (ra) and Umar (ra) then why would he give bayaah to them? why would he marry his daughter to Umar (ra)? it dont make sense does it :p

now post wisely before i abuse u :p lol naa jus sort out ur self man,

chacha_jalebi
11-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Of Umar, no
But Ali? Many
At Ghadeer for instance
Dont you agree?
what about when RasoolAllah (saw) said " if there had to be a prophet after me, it would be Umar" (tirmidhi)

this shows how high, the status of Umar (ra) was in RasoolAllah (saw) eyes!

and MAIN POINT IS, RasoolAllah (saw) made it clear that Abu Bakr (ra) was going to be the next khilafah, so it was upto Abu Bakr (ra) to choose the next leader and he chose Umar (ra) so brap brap :p

Abu Ibraheem
11-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Bidah is something like doing a backflip in salah combined with a headspin ending with a b-boy post... nah jus kidding -

We have to be careful how we define Bidah.

The sahaabah did things that the Prophet pbuh didnt do, such as compile the Qur'aan into one book and arrange the jamaah for taraweeh prayers, the sahaabah even commented this to be a bidah hasanah, however we can not class these actions as bidah by shariah as the Prophet pbuh commanded us to follow the khulufah rashideen. Also in shariah anything that the sahaabah did is also classed as sunnah. Those who lay claim to bidah hasanah nowdays are going over the top. Dont trust any bidah after the first three generations. The sahaaba were so opposed to bidah. Aishaa narrates that the first bidahs to appear was overeating and the use of soap.

Abu Ibraheem
11-10-2006, 11:20 PM

Are you familar with Aqeedat ut Tahaawiyah mas'alah 93?

We love the Companions of the Messenger of Allah but we do not go to excess in our love for any one individual among them nor do we disown any one of them. We hate anyone who hates them or does not speak well of them and we only speak well of them. Love of them is a part of Islam, part of belief and part of excellent behaviour, while hatred of them is unbelief, hypocrisy and rebelliousness.
We confirm that, after the death of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, the caliphate went first to Abu Bakr As-Siddiq, may Allah be pleased with him, thus proving his excellence and superiority over the rest of the Muslims; then to `Umar ibn Al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with him; then to `Uthman, may Allah be pleased with him; and then to `Ali ibn Abi Talib, may Allah be pleased with him. These are the Rightly-Guided Khaliphs (Al-Khulafa Ar-Rashidoon) and upright leaders.
We bear witness that the ten who were named by the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and who were promised the Garden by him, will be in the Garden, as the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, whose word is truth, bore witness that they would he. The ten are: Abu Bakr, `Umar, `Uthman, `Ali, Talhah, Zubayr, Sa'd, Sa'id, `Abdur-Rahman ibn `Awf and Abu `Ubaydah ibn Al-Jarrah whose title was the trustee of this Ummah, may Allah be pleased with all of them.
Anyone who speaks well of the Companions of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and his wives and offspring, who are all pure and untainted by any impurity, is free from the accusation of hypocrisy.
From Aqeedah ut Tahaawiyah

chacha_jalebi
11-10-2006, 11:30 PM
yesh bro :D mashallah, i quoted a hadiths abou it aswell :D:D:D

erm muslim soldier :p what do you think about Hadhrat Muawiyah (ra) :p :p :p

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-11-2006, 03:16 AM

Muslim Soldier, speak the names of the Sahaba with respect. You are not better them nor are comparable to any of them. By Allah, if you say one thing against any of the Sahaba again I will ban you from here permanently. By Allah, you are not a lover of Ali r.a. nor of the decendants of the Messenger of Allah because they both loved Abu Bakr, Umar and Uthman and you hate them, curse them and slander them. By Allah, they have nothing to do with your slander of them and Allah has indeed made them all free of your slander.

Your posts have been deleted.

khurm
11-14-2006, 12:32 AM
bidah is innovations added to the deen when people make up things
like eid milad un nabi it is bidah

Skillganon
11-14-2006, 02:03 AM
I do not see why people make devision today over what happened 1400 years ago. Why do they need to take it out on the companion of the prophet?

I really do not see the fruits of this kind of mentality. Can anyone please tell me?

chacha_jalebi
11-14-2006, 02:23 AM
^^ exactly well said skilly :D:D:D

Younus
11-14-2006, 06:25 AM
How Do We Know What Is and What Is Not a Bid`ah?

Shaykh `Alee Hasan `Alee `Abdul Hameed

Ilm Usul al-Bid'ah, pp. 75-9
Translated by Abu Rumaysah

This is a very important point which when discussed clarifies detailed principles under the light of which an action can be known as to whether it is a bid'ah or not. "This is because Allaah, the Blessed and Exalted, will not accept an action until two conditions are fulfilled:

1. That it be done sincerely seeking the Face of Allaah, Azza wa Jalla.
2. That it be righteous, and it cannot be righteous until it is in conformity to the Sunnah, not in contradiction to it."

['Hujjah an-Nabee' (pg. 100) of our Shaykh al-Albaanee, may Allaah preserve him. I say and it was upon these two principles that Shaykh al-Islaam ibn Taymiyyah based his superb book 'al-Uboodiyyah' on.]

Our Shaykh, al-Albaanee, may Allaah preserve him, said in his book 'Ahkaam al-Janaa'iz' (pg. 242),

"Indeed the bid'ah which the Sharee'ah has textually stated to be misguidance is (of a number of types):

1. Everything that contradicts the Sunnah, be it in actions, sayings or beliefs even if this arise out of ijtihaad."

I say: as-Suyutee said in 'al-Amr bi al-Ittibaa' (pp. 92-93),

"This differs in accordance to the different circumstances and to the extent in which it contradicts the Sharee'ah. Sometimes this leads to that which would necessitate forbiddance and sometimes it does not exceed the bounds of detestability. It is possible for every skilled legal jurist to differentiate between the two types especially if he has deep-rooted knowledge and faith.

[FN. Rather all innovations in the religion are forbidden].

This category of vile innovation is sub-divided into two:

1. In matters of belief that lead towards misguidance and loss.

The adherents to the deviated sects are of six types, and each type is further divided into 12 sects - this making the 72 sects about which the Prophet (SAW) informed would be in the Fire. We are not, at this juncture, going to detail them but the one who sticks to the Sunnah and the Jamaa'ah and steers clear of the foundations and offshoots of these innovations will be from the Saved Sect by the Permission of Allaah.
2. In the actions and these are further sub-divided into two:

1. The type that is known by everyone, the elite and the general masses, to be a bid'ah, be it forbidden or detested.
2. The type that the majority think to be actions of worship and means of drawing close to Allaah and a Sunnah.

So from the first type [i.e. (i)] is what a group of the ignoramuses fell into - those that left following the Imaams of the Religion - those who belong to Faqr whose reality is to be impoverished of faith by befriending women and being alone with them.

This is forbidden by the agreement of the Muslims and the one who considers this to be lawful is a disbeliever. The one who does this, considering it of little importance is a sinner, misguided and misguiding, having deserted the religion and split off from the Jamaa'ah of the Muslim - may Allaah distance the one who does it - for indeed looking at women who are haraam for him to look at and being alone with them and listening to their words is haraam upon every mature person unless he be of the ties of kinship. Haraam according to the Book, the Sunnah and the consensus of the Muslims.

This is not the place to detail the evidences concerning this, rather the purpose is to clarify what constitutes bid'ah and what constitutes evidence and this is not hidden from a Muslim."

Then he said (pg. 153),

"As for the second type that people think to be obedience to Allaah and a means of drawing close to Him while it is not so, or leaving it is better then enacting it - then this is what the Legislator has commanded to be done in a specific form, at a specific time or in a specific place. Examples of this would be fasting during the day and circumambulating the Ka'bah. Or what has been ordered to a specific person such as the things specific to the Prophet (SAW) such that the ignoramus would find analogy with himself and thereby do them while being forbidden from doing them, or he makes analogy between one form of worship to another while not taking into consideration time and place."

Then our Shaykh said,

2. "Every matter by which nearness to Allaah is sought but the Messenger of Allaah (SAW) has forbidden."

I say: such as fasting continuously, or specifying the day of Jumu'ah for fasting or praying the night and the likes of these. This is because in and of themselves they are matters which draw one close to Allaah from the point of view that the basis of them is worship but they do not draw one close to Allaah due to their being done in this forbidden way.

As-Suyutee said in 'al-Amr bi al-Ittibaa' (pg. 152) while mentioning bid'ah,

"… And this occurs in some of them due to their desire to perform a great deal of worship and actions of obedience, so their desire leads them to do this at times and in places that the Sharee'ah has forbidden them from doing so.

From these are those that are forbidden and those that are disliked. Ignorance and the adornment of Shaytaan puts these people in a dilemma by them saying: These are actions of obedience, it is established that they were done at other times so we shall do them continuously, for Allaah will never punish us for actions of obedience irregardless of when we perform them!"

Then our Shaykh said,
3. "Every matter for which it is not possible to be legislated except by a text and there is no text for it then this is a bid'ah with the exception of that which is reported from a Companion from whom that action was repeatedly done with no one objecting."

I say: Abu Sulaymaan ad-Daaraane said,

"It is not upon the one receives inspiration (ilhaam) that something is from the good actions to enact it until he hears it from a text. So when he hears it from a text he should enact it and praise Allaah for making what is in his heart conform to the text."

['al-Baa'ith' (pg. 108) of Abu Shaamah.]

And there was nothing said that was more beautiful than the saying of al-Imaam Ibraaheem an-Nakha'ee,

"If the Companions had wiped over their finger nails then I would not have washed them due to the great virtue of following them"

['al-Ibaanah' (no.254) of ibn Battah. A similar narration was reported by ad-Daarimee in his 'Sunan' (1/72)]

Ibn Abee ad-Dunya reports in 'Kitaab al-Iyaal' (no.56) that Ataa said,

"I asked Aa'ishah about aqueeqah saying, 'what is your opinion of the one who sacrifices a slaughter camel?' She replied, "the Sunnah is better and more excellent."

I say: And what is their that is better to be followed!!

Taqee as-Subkee was asked in his 'Fataawaa' (2/549) about a newly invented matter that was performed by some of his contemporaries to which he replied,

"All praise is due to Allaah. This is a bid'ah without any doubt and none should have any doubt concerning this. It is sufficient to state that it was not known in the time of the Prophet (SAW) and neither in the time of the Sahaabah, and it is not known from any of scholars of the Salaf."

These are golden words that cement what has preceded that the Sharee'ah is sufficient and complete and that the right of legislation belongs to Allaah. It is not permissible to overstep its limits or to invent new things in it.

From the examples of this is what al-Haakim says in his 'Mustadrak' (1/370) adding a comment to the hadeeth that is reported concerning the prohibition of writing in graves [the basis of which is in 'Saheeh Muslim' (no. 970)],

"This hadeeth is not to be acted upon! For indeed the Imaams of the Muslims from the east to the west have words written on their graves, this being an action that the khalaf took from the Salaf!"

Adh-Dhahabee followed this statement up by correcting it and saying,

"What you say is of no consequence! We do not know of a single companion who did this rather it is something that was introduced by some of the taabi'een and those who came after them because the prohibition did not reach them."

A detailed discussion concerning this follows later.

Then our Shaykh said,
4. "Those things that are taken as worship but are actually from the habits of the disbelievers."

I say: as-Suyutee says in 'al-Amr bi al-Ittibaa' (pg. 141),

"And from the bid'ahs and evil actions is resembling the disbelievers and joining in with and agreeing to their Eids and accursed festivities as is done by many of the ignorant Muslims…"

Shaykh al-Islaam ibn Taymiyyah says in 'Iqtidaa as-Siraat al-Mustaqeem' (pg. 214),

"The generality of these actions that are taken from the Christians and others that are not reported (in our Religion) - then Satan has adorned them and made them seem attractive to those that claim Islaam and he has made their hearts accept them and have a good opinion of them. So these (Muslims) have added to some and taken away from others, they have put some forward and delayed others just as they used to change some aspects of the True Religion. But due to these days and their likes having been specified while the Sharee'ah has not done so, and that making them special in the Religion is false and invalid rather the basis of their being special comes from the religion of the disbelievers, then this specification is actually resembling them.

And it is not possible that some ignoramus think that by changing these aspects that they have derived from the disbelievers they have succeeded in opposing them as occurred in the case of fasting on the Day of Ashura. This is because the basis of this fast was legislated for us and they used to perform it but the form of our fast differs from theirs. As for that which is in no way part of our Religion, rather it is from their innovated, abrogated religion then it is not for us to resemble it - neither in its basis nor its description."

I say: One of the clearest examples of this that has been invented in the past by many ignorant Muslims is the yearly celebration of the Mawlid of the Messenger (SAW). In this they are resembling the Jews and Christians who do the likes of these celebrations in their Eids and festive seasons!!

I have refuted the doubts that these people raise in my introduction to the book, 'al-Mawrid fee Amal al-Mawlid' by Taaj al-Faakihaanee and all praise is due to Allaah.

Then our Shaykh says:
5. "What some of the scholars, especially the later ones, have textually stated to be recommended while there is no evidence for this."

I say: Unfortunately the examples of this are abundant.

From them is what an-Nawawee, may Allaah have mercy upon him, quotes from Abu al-Hasan al-Qazwaynee in 'al-Adhkaar' (pg. 276) that he said,

"It is recommended for the one on a journey recite 'li Eelaafi Quraysh' because it would safeguard him from every evil"!

And an-Nawawee endorsed this!!

Our Shaykh, al-Allaamah al-Albaanee followed this up in 'Silsilah ad-Da'eefah' (1/374) by saying,

"This is legislating something in the Religion for which there is no evidence apart from mere claim, so from where does he get that this would secure him from every evil?! Indeed these sort of opinions for which nothing occurs in the Book or the Sunnah would have been from the means of changing this Religion via ways that are not known had Allaah not Promised to safeguard it."

As-Sakhaawee said in 'Ibtihaaj bi Adhkaar al-Musaafir wa al-Haaj' (pg. 17),

"I have not come across a hadeeth concerning this."

Then our Shaykh says:
6. "Every action of worship whose manner of performance has only come via a weak or fabricated hadeeth."

I say: He also said in 'Hajjah an-Nabee' (pg. 102) while numbering the difference aspects of bid'ah,

"It is not permissible to depend upon weak ahaadeeth or to attribute them to the Prophet (SAW) and in our opinion it is not permissible to act upon such ahaadeeth. This is the opinion of a group of the scholars such as ibn Taymiyyah and others…

As for the ahaadeeth that are fabricated or have no basis then this fact about them was not known by some of the legal jurists and hence they based legal rulings upon them! These are from the core of bid'ah and newly invented matters."

An example of this is the 'Salaah ar-Raghaa'ib' which is prayed on the first Friday of Rajab. As-Suyutee says in 'al-Amr bi al-Ittibaa' (pg. 166),

"Know, may Allaah have mercy upon you, that exalting this day and night as invented in Islaam after the 4th century, and the hadeeth concerning it is fabricated by agreement of the scholars. The contents of this hadeeth concern the excellence of fasting on that day and praying during that night and they have called it 'Salaah ar-Raghaa'ib'!

As for what the researching scholars are upon - then it is to forbid the singling out of this day for fasting and to forbid praying during the night with this invented prayer and from everything that would contain exaltation of this day such as feasts and displaying adornments etc. with the purpose that this day become of the same level as others (normal) days."

[Refer to: 'Iqtidaa as-Siraat al-Mustaqeem' (pg.283), 'al-Fataawaa al-Kubraa' (1/177), 'al-Baa'ith' (pg. 39), 'Tabyeen al-Ajab' (pg.47), 'al-Madhkal' (1/293), 'Masaajilah Ilmiyyah' of ibn Salaah and al-Izz bin Abd as-Salaam. Refer also to 'al-Mawdoo'aat' (2/124) and 'al-Laa'ee al-Masnoo'ah' (2/57).]

Then our Shaykh said:
7. "Going to excesses in worship."

I say: Allaah censured the disbelievers for their extremism in their religion by saying, "O People of the Book! Do not go to extremes in your religion and do not say about Allaah except the truth." (4/171)

The Messenger of Allaah (SAW) warned from this by saying,

"I warn you of extremism in the Religion for indeed those that came before you were destroyed due to their extremism in the religion."

[Reported by an-Nasaa'ee (5/268), ibn Maajah (no. 3029), Ahmad (1/215, 347) with a saheeh sanad.]

Shaykh al-Islaam ibn Taymiyyah says in 'Iqtidaa Siraat al-Mustaqeem' (1/72),

"Furthermore going to excesses with regards to the Prophets and righteous has occurred amongst some groups of the worshippers and sufis to the extent that many of these intermingled this with the belief of incarnation and ittihaad that ended being more vile than the saying of the Christians or sometimes similar to it or sometimes stopping short of it."

All of this falls under the meaning of going to excesses in worship.

The meaning of excess (gulu) is to transgress the proper bounds. From the examples of this excess is what some people say in praise of the Prophet (SAW):

Indeed the delight and harm of the world is yours to bestow

From your knowledge is the knowledge of the Preserved Tablet and Pen

Can there be any excess more extreme then this?!

Imaam ash-Shaatibee said in 'al-Muwaafaqaat' (2/242),

"In the time frames set by the legislator for the employment of the actions of worship, the obligatory and recommendations, to certain known times for apparent or not so apparent reasons lies enough to cause certainty that the reason behind the legislation is to keep the actions ongoing and constant.

It is said concerning the saying of Allaah, "they did not observe it in the way they should have done"[57:27] that indeed the lack of their observing it lay in their abandoning it after starting it and continuing in it (for a short time.)

At this juncture we can derive a ruling for what the Sufis have committed themselves to with regards to performing certain rituals and statements of dhikr (wird) at certain set times…."

I say: at this point is would be good to mention the book published by al-Luknawee Abu al-Hasanaat, 'Iqaamah al-Hujjah alaa anna al-Ikthaar min at-Ta'bbud Laysa bi Bid'ah.' He declares to be good what has been reported from some of the scholars and Imaams with regards to exerting oneself to the utmost in worship such as staying up the whole night for prayer, or reciting the whole Qur'aan in one rak'ah, or performing 1000 rak'ahs!

The vast majority of these narrations are reported by isnaads that cannot be depended upon! So are these quotes from the actions legislated by the Sharee'ah or from the newly invented innovations?!

I say: there is no doubt in the eyes of one who understands the meaning of Sunnah and the correct meaning of Bid'ah, and whose heart has adorned for him the continuous following of the Sunnah and made ugly the following of bid'ah that these ways and mannerisms and setting of limits are all in opposition to the Sunnah of the Prophet (SAW), in fact falling into that which has been forbidden from - going to excesses in the religion and despicable innovation.

Imaam adh-Dhahabee says in his amazing book 'Siyar al-A'laam an-Nubalaa' (3/84-86) after mentioning the saying of the Prophet (SAW) to Abdullaah bin Umru, "…then recite the Qur'aan in seven days and do not go beyond this."

[Reported by Muslim]

"It is authentically reported from the Messenger of Allaah (SAW) that this was reduced to 3 nights and he forbade that the Qur'aan be recited in less than this.

[Reported by Abu Dawood (no. 1394), at-Tirmidhee (no. 2950), ibn Maajah (no. 1347), al-Baghawee (4/498) from Abdullaah bin Umru that the Prophet (SAW) said, "the person who recites the Qur'aan in less than three (nights) has not understood it."]

This was in regards to the amount of Qur'aan that had thusfar been revealed, and then after this saying of the Prophet (SAW) the remainder of the Qur'aan was revealed. The least level of the meaning of prohibition is that it is reprehensible to recite the whole Qur'aan in less than three nights. There is no understanding or contemplation on the part of one who recites it in less than three nights. If it was read and recited in a week and this was done constantly then this would be an excellent action and the religion would be easy.

By Allaah reciting one seventh of the Qur'aan during tahajjud, alongwith preserving the prescribed supererogatory prayers, and the prayer of Duhaa and the prayer of entering the Mosque, alongwith preserving the remembrances which are authentically reported, the supplications upon sleeping and waking and at the ends of the prescribed prayers and opening the fast, alongwith learning beneficial knowledge and busying oneself with it sincerely for the sake of Allaah, alongwith enjoining the good and forbidding the evil, guiding the ignorant and teaching him, reprimanding the sinner and similar things, alongwith performing the obligatory actions and staying away from the major sins, being frequent in supplication and seeking forgiveness and giving charity, joining the ties of kinship, humility, and sincerity in all of what has been mentioned - indeed of all this is a great activity. This is the station of the People of the Right and the God-fearing Awliyaah of Allaah, for all of what has been mentioned is desired.

Therefore when the servant busies himself with trying to finish the whole Qur'aan in one night, the he has opposed the Upright Religion and becomes unable to do much of what we have mentioned and he has not contemplated what he has recited.

Here is the master, the servant, the Companion who used to say when he grew old, "woe to me if only I had accepted the leeway given by the Messenger of Allaah (SAW)"

[As is reported by Bukhaaree]

This because it was said to him by the Prophet (SAW) concerning the optional fast, he kept on reducing (the time between fasts) to the point that he said, "fast one day and break fast one day, this is the fast of my brother Dawood (AS)."

[The same hadeeth as above]

And he (SAW) ordered that part of the night should be slept in by saying, "but I pray the night and I sleep, I fast and I break the fast, I marry women and I eat meat, therefore the one who turns away from my Sunnah is not of me."

[Reported by Bukhaaree and Muslim].

May Allaah inspire us and you to follow in the best of ways and make us to keep away from desires and opposing (the Sunnah)."

Then our Shaykh said:
8. "Every action of worship that the Sharee'ah has generalised but the people have put some restrictions to it such as a specific place, time, description or number."

I say: Imaam Abu Shaamah said in 'al-Baa'ith' (pg. 165),

"It is not permissible to specify an action of worship to a time that has not been specified by the Sharee'ah, rather all the actions of righteousness are applicable to all times, there is no specific time that is better than another with the exception of what the Sharee'ah has declared to be so such as fasting the day of Arafah and Aashurah, praying in the depth of the night and performing Umrah in Ramadaan.

And from the places are those that the Sharee'ah has declared to be better to perform actions of worship in such as the 10 days of Dhu al-Hajjah, Laylatul Qadr which is better than a thousand months…

In summary: it is not upon the servant to specify rather this is for the Legislator (SAW), and this was the description of the worship of the Messenger of Allaah (SAW)"

[Refer to 'Iqtidaa' (pg. 308-309)]

And the scholars, the dead and the living, have established the principle that "what the Legislator (SAW) has generalised is to be acted upon in its general way and it is not permissible to restrict it or limit it."

['al-Ikhtiyaaraat al-Ilmiyyah li Shaykh al-Islaam ibn Taymiyyah' (pg. 73) of al-Ba'lee]

I say: ibn al-Qayyim said in 'Igaatha al-Lufhaan' (pg. 371),

"…And from these is that the Sunnah has declared to be reprehensible is the singling out of Rajab and Jumu'ah for fasting so that this may not be taken as a means of innovating in the religion by way of specifying a time that the Sharee'ah has not specified for worship."

Our Shaykh said in 'Hajjah an-Nabee (SAW) (pg. 103),
9. "Habits and superstitions that have no proof in the Sharee'ah, and neither does the intellect testify to them even if some ignoramuses may enact them making them to be part of their legislated law and even if there be some people present who aid them in this having a claim to knowledge."

I say: the examples of this are too many to enumerate, this depicts the condition of many of the children of this time who are following their desires and the way of the Khalaf. So upon this "it is not permissible to depart from the way of the Salaf for it is the best and most complete of ways."

['Ikhtiyaaraat al-Ilmiyyah' (pg. 54) of ibn Taymiyyah].

It is necessary to distance oneself from those who oppose the salaf for it is the most misguided and ignorant.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!