/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Throw dust upon their faces.......

Abdul-Raouf
11-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Narrated by Miqdad ibn Amr: Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) commanded us that we should throw dust upon the faces of those who shower too much praise. - Sahih Muslim

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
learningislam
11-05-2006, 03:47 PM
:salamext:

i read that hadith too. But i think i need to understand it.
Does that mean....that anybody who praises someone....should be thrown dust at.
Is it literally meant.........or it has a different meaning.?
If anybody knows plz do share...

like if my friend tells me..."u r a nice person, or a kind person".........what am i supposed to do?????
is it both for genuine praise......and also for buttering...?

Jazakumullahu khairun...

:wasalamex

- Qatada -
11-05-2006, 07:19 PM

So, ascribe not purity to yourselves.) forbidding one from ascribing purity and praising himself and thinking highly of his actions,

[هُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِمَنِ اتَّقَى]

(He knows best him who has Taqwa.) Allah said in another Ayah,

[أَلَمْ تَرَ إِلَى الَّذِينَ يُزَكُّونَ أَنفُسَهُمْ بَلِ اللَّهُ يُزَكِّى مَن يَشَآءُ وَلاَ يُظْلَمُونَ فَتِيلاً ]

(Have you not seen those who claim sanctity for themselves. Nay, but Allah sanctifies whom He wills, and they will not be dealt with unjustly, even equal to the extent of a Fatil.) (4:49) In his Sahih, Muslim recorded that Muhammad bin `Amr bin `Ata said, "I called my daughter, Barrah (the pious one), and Zaynab bint Abu Salamah said to me, `The Messenger of Allah forbade using this name. I was originally called Barrah and he said,

«لَا تُزَكُّوا أَنْفُسَكُمْ، إِنَّ اللهَ أَعْلَمُ بِأَهْلِ الْبِرِّ مِنْكُم»

(Do not ascribe purity to yourselves; Allah knows best who the pious people among you are)' They said, `What should we call her' He said,

«سَمُّوهَا زَيْنَب»

(Call her Zaynab.)'' Imam Ahmad recorded a Hadith from `Abdur-Rahman bin Abi Bakrah, from his father who said, "A man praised another man before the Prophet . The Messenger of Allah said,

«وَيْلَكَ قَطَعْتَ عُنُقَ صَاحِبِكَ مرارًا إِذَا كَانَ أَحَدُكُمْ مَادِحًا صَاحِبَهُ لَا مَحَالَةَ، فَلْيَقُلْ: أَحْسِبُ فُلَانًا وَاللهُ حَسِيبُهُ، وَلَا أُزَكِّي عَلَى اللهِ أَحَدًا، أَحْسِبُهُ كَذَا وَكَذَا، إِنْ كَانَ يَعْلَمُ ذلِك»

(Woe to you, you have cut off the neck of your friend! (He repeated this) If one of you must praise a friend of his, let him say, "I think that so-and-so is this and that; Allah knows best about him and I will never purify anyone before Allah,'' if he knows his friend to be as he is describing him.)'' Al-Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawud and Ibn Majah collected this Hadith. Imam Ahmad recorded that Hammam bin Al-Harith said, "A man came before `Uthman bin `Affan and praised him. Al-Miqdad bin Al-Aswad started throwing sand in the face of that man, saying, `The Messenger of Allah ordered us to throw sand in their faces when we see those who praise.'''
Muslim and Abu Dawud also collected this Hadith.

Tafsir Ibn Kathir: http://www.theholybook.org/en/a.47999.html

Abdul-Raouf
11-06-2006, 08:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muzammil
Narrated by Miqdad ibn Amr: Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) commanded us that we should throw dust upon the faces of those who shower too much praise. - Sahih Muslim

Its meant for those who Praise Too Much...

if ur friend says everytime u meet her... "Yor Great You are the best... Your very nice...things like that again and again"... then surely its too much of praise

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
learningislam
11-06-2006, 02:49 PM

jazakAllah for the explanation.....i had read that hadith a long time ago.....and everytime, i saw it again....i could not understand and there was no body to help too. May Allah grant u both with jannat-al-firdaus....ameen

if ur friend says everytime u meet her... "Yor Great You are the best... Your very nice...things like that again and again"...
Alhumdulillah......i dont have such friends.

So, ascribe not purity to yourselves.) forbidding one from ascribing purity and praising himself and thinking highly of his actions,
what i think is......too much self-praise, or of others , may make that person arrogant or proud....and will make him less humble.And thats not going to help him with his faith.Even if somebody is praised for a quality which he has, makes him conscious of that fact.....and then that person....might do that action......not just because its good, but he has an audience who appreciates that.
I hope somebody understands what i am saying.....and yes....its just my opinion.

And Allaah swt knows best.

:wasalamex

Umar001
11-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I need to start gathering some sand, and at keep my mouth closed.

Abdul-Raouf
11-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Throw dust upon their... Doesnt mean literally ... Brother!

- Qatada -
11-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Bro Muzzamil, its mentioned like that in the hadith above. Let's not judge the hadith anyway.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.