/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fornication

al-fateh
11-08-2006, 05:02 PM
English Yusuf Ali: [24:3]
Let no man guilty of adultery or fornication marry and but a woman similarly guilty, or an Unbeliever: nor let any but such a man or an Unbeliever marry such a woman: to the Believers such a thing is forbidden.

am i missing something here?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
11-08-2006, 05:59 PM
as with all translations, when one looks confusing, look at other translations also and avoid the temptation to try to understand a single ayyat out of context. Here is the same ayyat along with the ayyats pertaining too it:

Shakir's Quran Translation

24: 1. (This is) a chapter which We have revealed and made obligatory and in which We have revealed clear communications that you may be mindful. P Y C
24: 2. (As for) the fornicatress and the fornicator, flog each of them, (giving) a hundred stripes, and let not pity for them detain you in the matter of obedience to Allah, if you believe in Allah and the last day, and let a party of believers witness their chastisement. P Y C

24: 3. The fornicator shall not marry any but a fornicatress or idolatress, and (as for) the fornicatress, none shall marry her but a fornicator or an idolater; and it is forbidden to the believers. P Y C

24: 4. And those who accuse free women then do not bring four witnesses, flog them, (giving) eighty stripes, and do not admit any evidence from them ever; and these it is that are the transgressors, P Y C

24: 5. Except those who repent after this and act aright, for surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. P Y C

Woodrow
11-08-2006, 06:12 PM
I should have added translations are not the Qur'an they are simply tools to use to until a person develops some skills in Arabic. Arabic does not translate very well into English. Personaly I find that the closest one can get to the actual meanings is to look at several translations and understand that the meaning will most likely be a combination of them.

Also it appears that there is a typo error in the Ali translation you posted.

I believe this line:

Let no man guilty of adultery or fornication marry and but a woman similarly guilty

Probably should read:

Let no man guilty of adultery or fornication marry any but a woman similarly guilty

I noticed in my Ali copy it is the same as you posted. I suspect the error was made in the first printing and to retain Ali's words nobody ever corrected it.

Muezzin
11-08-2006, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I noticed in my Ali copy it is the same as you posted. I suspect the error was made in the first printing and to retain Ali's words nobody ever corrected it.
You'd think they would have added a footnote at least...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
chacha_jalebi
11-08-2006, 08:02 PM
thats surah al nur innit :D

theres a difference in translation :D as with all translations :p

but but look @ verse 5 of the surah

Unless they repent thereafter and mend (their conduct); for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful

so if they mend their ways and fix up and dont carry on fornicatin or doin adultery, then they will no longer be considered a fornicator a sinner, and they are able to marry whoever they want :D:D:D

mashallah, Allah (swt) is the most raheem, and rahman :D

Woodrow
11-08-2006, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
You'd think they would have added a footnote at least...
I agree. However the word any is much more in line with other translations and more in the spirit of the meaning. Which is why I suspect Ali made a typo.

the word any is also more in agreement to Pickthall's translation.

24: 3. The adulterer shall not marry save an adulteress or an idolatress, and the adulteress none shall marry save an adulterer or an idolater. All that is forbidden unto believers. Y S C

Pickthal's Quran Translation

Curaezipirid
11-08-2006, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I should have added translations are not the Qur'an they are simply tools to use to until a person develops some skills in Arabic. Arabic does not translate very well into English. Personaly I find that the closest one can get to the actual meanings is to look at several translations and understand that the meaning will most likely be a combination of them.

Also it appears that there is a typo error in the Ali translation you posted.

I believe this line:

Let no man guilty of adultery or fornication marry and but a woman similarly guilty

Probably should read:

Let no man guilty of adultery or fornication marry any but a woman similarly guilty

Actually I believe that the "and but" linguistic phenomenon is often useful in defining a different form of grammar that is not usual in English, but which conveys distinct meaning. It is like adding "and vice versa" to the end of the sentence.

waram

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.