/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dar al Kufr

zanjabeela
11-09-2006, 09:21 PM
:sl:
Attention all those who use the term dar al kufr. As in: I am in dar al kufr, living in dar al kufr, etc. I would like to know when, how, and why this term came to be used. Are you happy living in dar al kufr? Would you like to move from dar al kufr? Why do you live in dar al kufr? Please help me understand the purpose behind this terminology.

Thanks, JazakAllah Khair, and pleeeaaassseeeee don't ignore the first topic I ever started--I might start crying ;)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
11-09-2006, 11:46 PM
well, i don't want you to start crying so i will not ignore your very first thread even tho i really don't have anything Intelligent to say on the matter. my guess is that the term was used to describe a legal status - certain islamic laws could not be applied in dar al kufr as they could in an islamic country.
at least maybe now somebody will pop in and correct me and then you'll have 2 responses lol

Umar001
11-09-2006, 11:52 PM
at first i thought it meant darfur lol i get it now though

zanjabeela
11-10-2006, 02:46 AM
Those who use this term are not visiting this thread? Or ignoring me. (No no must not think that, suspicion is haraam!) I feel so unloved.

Thanks snakelegs and IsaAbdullah...even for thinking I was talking about Darfur... :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
11-10-2006, 02:54 AM
do you have map for it?

i have never heard of it. sorry :hiding:

Woodrow
11-10-2006, 03:16 AM
Sadly I never heard of it before. An interesting name, "Dar al Kufr" in Arabic is House of the non-believers.
I would suspect it refers to Muslims who live in a non-Islamic country. Such as a Muslim living here in the US might say I am living in "Dar al Kufr"

zanjabeela
11-10-2006, 03:30 AM
Sister Syilla, from what I understand, its all places that are not Muslim lands. I guess its primarily the U.S. and Europe...but I don't rightly know.

Yes, brother Woodrow, that is exactly what I am referring to: when people say I am living in dar al kufr. I never heard people say this in real life. I saw it for the first time on the forums...and scratched my head, wondering why they would use this phrase. I figured I would finally ask about it.

So again, why use this phrase, instead of just saying "living in XYZ country" why say "living in dar al kufr?" Are you happy/unhappy living in dar al kufr? Where would you like to live instead?

Woodrow
11-10-2006, 03:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zanjabeela
Sister Syilla, from what I understand, its all places that are not Muslim lands. I guess its primarily the U.S. and Europe...but I don't rightly know.

Yes, brother Woodrow, that is exactly what I am referring to: when people say I am living in dar al kufr. I never heard people say this in real life. I saw it for the first time on the forums...and scratched my head, wondering why they would use this phrase. I figured I would finally ask about it.

So again, why use this phrase, instead of just saying "living in XYZ country" why say "living in dar al kufr?" Are you happy/unhappy living in dar al kufr? Where would you like to live instead?
I am happy living here in the US. to me it would seem that those who use the term are disatisfied. You have to remember that most of us who are reverts live in non-Islamic countries. I have lived in several Islamic Countires. I personaly would find it difficult to permenatly live in an Islamic country as the difficulty in learning to adapt to the cultural differences would be a distraction for me to practice Islam. For that reason I am happy with living in the US. At my age an attempt to adapt to the culture of a foreign country would be very disruptive and here I can practice Islam with no interferance, so I see no need to move elsewhere. If I were younger and was socialy active, my views might be different. But, being older, somewhat disabled and pretty much confined to the house, I would have little to gain by leaving the US.

syilla
11-10-2006, 04:02 AM
i only be able to visit nz for a while....and never been to other places...

well maybe accept for s'pore, thailand...

never been to indonesia too...well accept for transits

i'm commited to my family and my work...so i have no time to travel... well accept maybe one day i can travel with every member of my family (if they are free too)...

so...the conclusion is...i can't really answer the question hehehe

Salmaan
11-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Dar al Kufr :confused: I have never heard this phrase use before by anyone..........
Instead, I am hearing this phrase first time from you zanjabeela :rollseyes

BlissfullyJaded
11-10-2006, 06:36 AM

^ You need to pay closer attention bro, cuz that phrase had to have been used within the last 24 hours on here. lol.

Nice post 'amu Woodrow. I guess the ones who use it are primarily those who are born and raised Muslims, as opposed to reverts, unless the reverts are young and want to move to a Muslim country.

Amazing how all of us who never use that phrase have answered. :p

Btw, this is your second topic sis. Get it right. :rollseyes

IslamInside
11-10-2006, 06:38 AM

Definitions from Answers.com and Wikipedia.

related:
Dar Al-Kufr: An Abode of Da`wah, not War

zanjabeela
11-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Shukran, IslamInside. I appreciate that, while I was not really looking for a textbook definition as such. More aiming to understand the psychology behind the use of the phrase in the course of general discussion.

Labibah, now now, don't get all technical on me. The introductory post really doesn't count. I mean, come on--everyone has one of those, so really! And yeah, the ones using it have not gotten to this thread yet, I guess. :(

Brother Salmaan...I would love to bring up a few posts that have utilized this phrase, but am loathe to point people out.

Sister Syilla...its ok :)

Brother Woodrow, I get the same impression, that those utilizing the phrase are dissatisfied with their place of residence. And I guess I find it a little bit odd, given that the large number of us who are immigrants to the West are so by choice. Many seem to have been born and raised in the West. So, given the fact that they came here, like myself, by the willing choice of their parents, and have usually done well for themselves here, its kind of odd that they would identify the country of residence in negative terms.

There is more on my mind regarding this terminology, but will hold onto it for now.

Jazakallah Khair!

BlissfullyJaded
11-10-2006, 07:06 AM

I think IslamInside's thing may have been directed at those who are unaware of the term and want to know what it means, and not really aimed at you zan. *unsure*

zanjabeela
11-10-2006, 07:12 AM
:ws:
^^^No, no, I liked it! Especially since it had a whole bunch of other terms there too! I should have realized he might have meant it for others as well--so self-centered of me! I hope I did not sound snippy there with you, IslamInside! Very sorry if I did!

- Qatada -
11-10-2006, 07:22 PM
:salamext:

Allaahu a'lam, but i think there is no dar ul islaam (islamic state) because we don't have a khalifah? I think dar ul kufr is a non islamic state.

Most muslims living in the west are living in the Makkan stage because there was no islamic state to go to and the muslims were getting abused etc. while other muslims living in the middle east etc. are facing parts of the early Medinan stage because they have to fight back.

We're living in a really confusing time, and the fitnah is really high from all sides.. but the greater the trial - the greater the reward of the one's who hold onto islaam, even if its by their molar teeth insha'Allah. Allaah Almighty know's best.

zanjabeela
11-11-2006, 07:04 AM
I agree that there is no dar al Islam. And given that, isn't it kind of hypocritical to point to dar al kufr in condescending tones?

sister herb
11-11-2006, 07:50 AM

I am thinking if "dar al kufr" might means something same like "dar al harb". In cause of my name I have heard about "dar al harb" many times...

:rollseyes

"Dar al-Harb (Arabic: دار الحرب "house of war") is a term used to refer to those areas outside Muslim rule."

sister harb

- Qatada -
11-11-2006, 12:45 PM
I agree that there is no dar al Islam. And given that, isn't it kind of hypocritical to point to dar al kufr in condescending tones?

Allaahu a'lam, its not like muslims prefer a rule other than islaam anyway.

format_quote Originally Posted by sister_harb
"Dar al-Harb (Arabic: دار الحرب "house of war") is a term used to refer to those areas outside Muslim rule."

I don't know much myself, so i might be wrong - but isn't that a place where war is taking place? But dar al kufr is a place where a law other than the law of islam is being applied?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.