/* */

PDA

View Full Version : this is a serious matter (not funny)

united
11-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Millions 'hit by toilet phobia'

A source of anguish for many
A campaign is being launched to raise awareness of the crippling impact of toilet phobia.
The National Phobics Society estimates at least four million Britons are affected - but the true number could be many more.

In some cases people refuse to leave their homes, and risk their health.

The society has classified the disorder as an anxiety condition in its own right, and is launching a self help book and DVD.

Toilet phobia can simply be manifest as a mild distaste for public loos.

No matter how funny we might find it, it's certainly no laughing matter

Nicky Lidbetter
National Phobias Society

'I was reluctant to go out'

But some people develop such an intense obsession that they are left housebound, and may refuse to undergo potentially life-saving medical examinations.

They may deny themselves fluids, which can harm the kidneys, or take drugs to avoid "accidents".

Many sufferers will not even take a job if a toilet is located off a communal area and they can be observed going in or out.

And routine situations requiring the provision of a urine sample fill some patients with terror.

Experts believe that the stigma surrounding the phobia means that many people refuse to admit they have a problem.

The National Phobics Society (NPS) hopes its new campaign will go some way to tackling this issue.

It also argues the medical profession needs educating about toilet phobia in order to encourage sufferers to come forward.

Taboo

Nicky Lidbetter, NPS manager, said: "Few people will talk about having an anxiety disorder in the first place, but for them to admit that they have a toilet-related phobia is rare because of the obvious embarrassment and humiliation of being laughed at or not being taken seriously.

"But, no matter how funny we might find it, it's certainly no laughing matter. We have to tackle this condition head on."

Professor Paul Salkovskis, a leading clinical psychologist, said part of the problem was society's squeamishness about going to the toilet.

"Around the world we use a lot of humour and euphemism to describe what is a basic human function.

"We say 'I'm going to the bathroom' or 'I'm going to powder my nose' because there is a taboo surrounding using the toilet."

Several conditions are thought to be behind toilet phobia. These include:

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) linked to a fear of contamination

Agoraphobia - an anxiety disorder commonly - and wrongly - linked to fear of open spaces, but which the National Phobics Society says is often manifest as a fear of feeling trapped, and a need to escape

Paruresis ('shy bladder' syndrome) - the fear of urinating in the company of others

Parcopresis ('bashful bowel' syndrome) - the inability to defecate in public toilets
Treatments include cognitive behaviour therapy, which helps people to break the cycle of faulty thinking, and hypnosis.

BBC

first i laughed, then i realised that i also suffer mildly from these symptoms.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mohammed farah
11-11-2006, 03:28 AM
four million britons are effected. im shocked

Hijaabi22
11-12-2006, 04:31 PM
wats toilet phobia lol

Musaafirah
11-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Umm..I hate using public toilets, cause you never know who's sat on em and what they've done..and whether or not the toilet seat has been cleaned properly..Does that mean I suffer from toilet phobia? :rollseyes

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mohammed farah
11-12-2006, 06:15 PM
no it doesnt mean you suffer from toilet phobia

abdur_Rahmaan
11-13-2006, 03:20 AM
alhamdulillaah for the du'a that one makes before entering the toilet:

syilla
11-13-2006, 03:23 AM
:sl:

i am a 'public-toilet' phobia.... not really...if i have to go...i go...if not i'll avoid it best as i can..

:w:

mohammed farah
11-13-2006, 05:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdur_Rahmaan

http://www.makedua.com/i/006-10.gif
:? why do you need to make du'a before you go to the tiolet

muslimaprincess
11-13-2006, 09:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohammed farah
We need to make this duaa before entering the loo so that shaitan does'nt accompany you whilst you're in there( because he dwells in dirty places) also there is a duaa for leaving the loo.
GUFRANAK....how easy is that?

AQSA
11-13-2006, 09:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimaprincess
We need to make this duaa before entering the loo so that shaitan does'nt accompany you whilst you're in there( because he dwells in dirty places) also there is a duaa for leaving the loo.
GUFRANAK....how easy is that?

I heard that not only the shaytaan but also the evil jinns, since they too apparantly dwell in dirty places.......

anyone know anything about that???

syilla
11-14-2006, 01:47 AM
well in islam...there are dua for every activities...

for example going out the house...entering the house...before you drive and etc...

mohammed farah
11-14-2006, 05:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
well in islam...there are dua for every activities...

for example going out the house...entering the house...before you drive and etc...
:uuh: are you serious

Yasmine018
11-14-2006, 08:00 AM
It is important to make this du'ah upon entering in the toilet, because in the toilet there are shaitaans in it. Hence in order to ask for protection, we should recite this du'ah.

Yasmine018
11-14-2006, 08:03 AM
:uuh: are you serious

Yes Fara Bro,for every single activity there is a special du'ah for them. Even when you look yourself in the mirror there is du'ah for that.

"ALLAH HOUMMA ANTA HASSANNTA KHALKH'II FA HASSEEN Q'ULLUQ'IIII"

This is the du'ah while you're looking at the mirror.

------
01-06-2008, 05:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdur_Rahmaan

http://[img]https://www.islamicboard....gif[/img]
:salamext:

*bump

Which means: 'O Allaah, I seek protection in You from the male and female jinns."

جوري
01-07-2008, 12:49 AM
bashful bladder syndrome is a very legitimate condition..the sensation 'urge' of wanting to go just disappears even though one might just about be ready to burst.. as the mind perceives a threat, in this case people listening to you tinkle, or somebody walking in on you. and it is even more anxiety provoking when there is a long line and people just wanting to drag you out of the stall they believe you are hogging..

I hate public bathrooms :-\

MaiCarInMtl
01-07-2008, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yasmine018
Yes Fara Bro,for every single activity there is a special du'ah for them. Even when you look yourself in the mirror there is du'ah for that.

"ALLAH HOUMMA ANTA HASSANNTA KHALKH'II FA HASSEEN Q'ULLUQ'IIII"

This is the du'ah while you're looking at the mirror.

But what do vain people who can't stop staring at themselves in the mirror do? They'll spend the whole day making dua! :okay:

A high school friend of mine used to not go to the bathroom from the time she left home at 7:15 am until she got home around 3:00 pm!!! I couldn't believe it! I work at a hospital so I sometimes am stuck using bathrooms with lots of germs in them. Thankfully there's a small departmental bathroom under lock and key that I can use.

krypton6
01-12-2008, 09:44 AM
If you find public toilet seats disgusting (as I do), snap 6 toilet papers out, 3 to each side of the seat, sit down on the seat, and quickly start breathingfrom inside your shirt.

Muezzin
01-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Paper toilet seats, anyone?

I can see how people might be afraid of using a public toilet ('Danger! Alien buttocks have touched this seat!'), but I personally have more of a probelm with people who don't wash their hands and then insist on gripping the entire exit handle. Especially after he's just used a urinal.

How revoltin'.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.