/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can a true Muslim deconvert?

Pygoscelis
11-12-2006, 06:32 AM
I've heard from numerous Christians that "A true Christian can not deconvert" and that once somebody is "saved" they are always "saved".

These people will usually tell a deconvert that they never were a True Christian. They just can't accept that a True Christian could leave the fold.

Does this phenomenon exist within Muslims or is it unique to the Christian religion?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umar001
11-14-2006, 10:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I've heard from numerous Christians that "A true Christian can not deconvert" and that once somebody is "saved" they are always "saved".

These people will usually tell a deconvert that they never were a True Christian. They just can't accept that a True Christian could leave the fold.

Does this phenomenon exist within Muslims or is it unique to the Christian religion?
Well, I think scripturely they do have a point since it seems that that is what their scripture teaches.

With regards to Islam, in Islam people can do what they want, someone may know the truth of Islam and leave it, if theydo that then I dont know if they would be a Muslim, a Muslim is a person who does Islam, submission to the will of almighty G-d.

I have seen nothing to say that a person who is a Muslim cannot leave Islam, rather what I have seen is that whoever G-d guides none can misguide and whoever G-d misguides none can guide.

That is all, but you see we all have the free choice.

Having said this, if a Muslim does not take care of him self then doubt can happen and so forth and he can leave Islam, but thats more of a self imposed thing, this is why in my view, I see alot more reverts in the younger age groups practicing Islam than alot of those who have been brought up that have taken Islam for granted so they do not pray that they will be good muslims or that they will have the gift of faith, because if G-d wants he can take your faith away.

I hope that's kinda answered.

zaria
11-14-2006, 06:09 PM
A true Muslim can not convert and if you stay on top of the religion and read you would understand and realize that Alllah (Subhana Wa'Tala) has choosing Islam as your religion and Muhammad (SWT) is his final messenger and believe it in your heart, (MashaAllah) you would only want to spread the joy of Allah Christian has contridicted the religion so many times and in so many ways which makes t confusing for them brcasue they don't know the truth or should I say what to believe. Just stay focus. The best thing about Islam, you can never know it all so what keeps it interesting is you just keep learning more and more

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-15-2006, 04:15 AM
Sounds good to me! lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
thirdwatch512
11-15-2006, 09:54 PM
well, i asked a friend once if she covnerted to islam, and i asked jokingly but she goes "no, not at all. a true christian will not leave their faith."

if i asked a muslim if they left islam, i sure they too would answer "a true muslim wouldn't leave their faith." So yeah..

Grace Seeker
11-17-2006, 08:10 PM

I will let those who are within the Ummah speak for Islam. As a member of the Christian faith I can share that there are those who are of the opinion you described: that if you were a true Christian that you would not walk away from it, so if someone does then it is evidence that he/she was never a true Christian to begin with. However, there are others who would say that an individual always has free will and thus it is possible for even a true believer to backslide and fall away from the faith. I could give you scripture and verse, but that is not the primary purpose of this thread. However, I did want to correct the view that the idea of "once saved, always saved" was a universal belief among Christians.

Umar001
11-17-2006, 09:54 PM
I guess that just sounds abit like pride.

As for sister zaira what is your definition of True Muslim? Someone could be a true Muslim today and then leave Islam. I do not see why they can't.

Pygoscelis
11-18-2006, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thirdwatch512
well, i asked a friend once if she covnerted to islam, and i asked jokingly but she goes "no, not at all. a true christian will not leave their faith."

if i asked a muslim if they left islam, i sure they too would answer "a true muslim wouldn't leave their faith." So yeah..
It is a peculiar phenomenon, believers them not being able to admit to themselves that somebody who believes as they do could change their mind. A weird mental roadblock.

And it doesn't exist in reverse. Non believers won't accuse new converts that they never truly didn't believe.

It is a very twilight zone moment for deconverts to hear that they were never 'true' believers, as they were once as devoted to the faith as the person telling them that. Often they were even more devoted.

Pygoscelis
11-20-2006, 04:58 PM
If I was such a deconvert confronted by a former brother of the faith telling me that I was never a true believer, I'd remind them that I was just as dedicated as they were and that I never suspected I wasn't a true believer....

So how can THEY be sure that THEY are a true believer if its possible to think wrongly that you are one?

I wonder how they'd react to that.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Its usually certain circumstances that leads them down that path, perhaps. Im guessing lol.

Grace Seeker
11-21-2006, 03:33 AM
If I was such a deconvert confronted by a former brother of the faith telling me that I was never a true believer, I'd remind them that I was just as dedicated as they were and that I never suspected I wasn't a true believer....

So how can THEY be sure that THEY are a true believer if its possible to think wrongly that you are one?

I wonder how they'd react to that.

Most are aware of the hidden irony of such a statement. But we do (I should say did) like to keep it hidden. :giggling:

جوري
06-03-2007, 05:24 AM
There was a man during the time of the prophet who became a non-Muslim after having been a Muslim, I forgot his name but it is irrelevant so yeah sure it could happen.. that is why we say "ya moqalib alqiloob thabit qalbi 3la al'iman" roughly oh ye who changes the heart of man, keep mine steadfast on piety (iman) is a deeper for of Islam... we should have a topic about that Islam-Iman-ikhlas, each stage is deeper and deeper... Anyhow, that is my two cents. No one can guarantee anything. We only pray to be on the path of the righteous!
Ameen Ameen Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.