/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Psychological Tips & Tricks.

- Qatada -
11-13-2006, 12:13 PM
:salamext:

Here you can post some good facts about psychology which will benefit you in your daily life insha'Allaah. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
11-13-2006, 12:21 PM

Did you know that if you see someone thinking while looking up in the air [looking up], their thinking by remembering images (using their photographic memory.)

This is why you see kids looking up when you ask them to remember back on something [more common with children because they prefer images over text.]

If someone is looking down at their bottom left, the person is probably talking to themselves in their mind, so if you're chatting to them - their probably not listening to what you're saying.

This is important to realise in debates because you see that the person isn't really listening to the points you're making, but instead thinking [in their mind] of ways to refute what you just said.

Whenever you go sleep, you'll realise that your eyes (while closed) are always positioned to the bottom right. Try keeping your eyes closed and keeping them to the bottom left and you'll realise that you can't fall asleep comfortably unless you move them back to the bottom right again.

And Allaah Almighty knows best.

ummahzy
11-13-2006, 01:38 PM
A salaamu aleikum,

these are interesting, but I'm curious to know where they originated...

ma salaam

- Qatada -
11-14-2006, 07:34 PM
:wasalamex

I heard it in Muhammad al Shareef's lecture, the tafsir on the 30th juzz.

I also heard in the lecture that when a person commits a sin, the front side of your brain is used. The part where you put your forehead on the ground for prostration.

Have you ever missed salaah and felt really confused, scared and the part of your forehead which you place on the ground for sajdah (prostration) feels tingly, and you feel lightheaded? But when you do the sajdah (prostration) you feel happy and relaxed again.

Or when you do a sin, your mind is always in a feeling of uneasiness until you stop that action. You may be afraid that someone is watching you, or be afraid that you might get in trouble.

This part of the head is known as the forelock - the sinners on the day of judgement will be dragged by the forelock and into the hellfire.

No! If he does not desist, We will surely drag him by the forelock -

A lying, sinful forelock!

(Qur'an Surah 'Alaq - [96:15-16])

The Mujrimun (polytheists, criminals, sinners, etc.) will be known by their marks (black faces), and they will be seized by their forelocks and their feet. [Qur'an Surah Rahmaan (55:41)]

Noun1.forelock - a lock of hair growing (or falling) over the forehead.

The area with the blue line is the place where the forelock is located.

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-14-2006, 07:42 PM
wowwwwwwwww! mashhhhhallah.. datz amazing.. im lookin 4 sum.. alot of people told me loads, cnt rememba dem now :-\

MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Studies have shown that pupils get bigger when we see something we like and get smaller when we're not happy. So wait until your parents' pupils are large to ask for something. That's when their minds are automatically set to say, "Yes!" If their pupils are small, they're more likely to turn down your request for a bump.

When answering a question, a person will look you in the eye, then look away while coming up with an answer. Right-lookers tend to make fast decisions based on the facts, so be prepared to give solid reasons why you have earned more allowance. Left-lookers are emotionally driven so, state your case for how happy you'd be with some more pocket change. And keep an eye on those pupils! If they get smaller, ask again later when they're wide.

datz da only 2 i can find at da mo lol

strider
11-14-2006, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

Did you know that if you see someone thinking while looking up in the air [looking up], their thinking by remembering images (using their photographic memory.)

This is why you see kids looking up when you ask them to remember back on something [more common with children because they prefer images over text.]

If someone is looking down at their bottom left, the person is probably talking to themselves in their mind, so if you're chatting to them - their probably not listening to what you're saying.

This is important to realise in debates because you see that the person isn't really listening to the points you're making, but instead thinking [in their mind] of ways to refute what you just said.

Whenever you go sleep, you'll realise that your eyes (while closed) are always positioned to the bottom right. Try keeping your eyes closed and keeping them to the bottom left and you'll realise that you can't fall asleep comfortably unless you move them back to the bottom right again.

I do the first two!:giggling:

I'm not so sure about the front part of your brain when doing a sin though.

GARY
11-14-2006, 07:49 PM

This one made me laugh out loud. Thinking back, it explains a few situations. I really do learn things coming to this forum.

- Qatada -
11-14-2006, 08:43 PM

Jazak Allaahu khayrun for posting!

Another good one; studies show that when a person walks into a store - your most likely to go to the right.

I've noticed that i do the same..

aamirsaab
11-14-2006, 08:48 PM
:sl:
*When someone is interested in what you have to say, they lean towards you.
*If they are not interested, they tend to take a slightly more defensive stance and either put an object in between both members or create a space, i.e distance themselves slightly.
*Humans are at heart conformists. This is both a great strength and a great weakness.

Umm Safiya
11-14-2006, 09:32 PM

Wow subhân Allâh, this is really interesting.. Jazâkumullâhu khayran :)

I walk to the right when I shop too.. Subhân Allâh..

& I have a tendency to look to the left bottom.. Hmm, do I talk to myself that much? Oi..

Nisrin
11-14-2006, 09:44 PM

I always talk to myself and it's true... when I am talking to myself I am looking down:-[

Oeps...:giggling:

:w:

peacechaser
11-14-2006, 10:17 PM

I've heard it from teacher, but never experieced it:

If a person mumbling while he's sleeping, ask him any question, even if related to his private. He could answer it and honest

wassalamualaikum

syilla
11-15-2006, 12:48 AM
MashaAllah...thank you for the posting...

i may have to examine back ...what i'm doing all this while.... :rolleyes:

MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-15-2006, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peacechaser

If a person mumbling while he's sleeping, ask him any question, even if related to his private. He could answer it and honest

wassalamualaikum

trust me datz tru lol.. ive tried it on ma cousin it woz soooooooo funny hehe :giggling:

learningislam
11-16-2006, 12:14 AM

i read a book which had very good psychological tips......plus it was written in an islamic format.......

Watch ur Words !
If you are feeling down, or whatever, say to ur self....."I am having a good life"....five ,six times.....and you will see in a couple of moments.....you will really feel that you have a good life........

You can do that with other things too....like If u tell ur self that "I am going to make the most out of this day"......or whatever you feel like

I dont hav the book right now......my friend borrowed it...so i will share later.

syilla
11-17-2006, 02:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
trust me datz tru lol.. ive tried it on ma cousin it woz soooooooo funny hehe :giggling:
oh dear...i've done it too...

i can't do it to the adults...(afraid that their secret will be exposed :D :D )

but i did to the kids... :giggling: :hiding: :hiding:

sorry....

yeah...it is soo funny...

MusLiM 4 LiFe
11-17-2006, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by learningislam

i read a book which had very good psychological tips......plus it was written in an islamic format.......

Watch ur Words !
If you are feeling down, or whatever, say to ur self....."I am having a good life"....five ,six times.....and you will see in a couple of moments.....you will really feel that you have a good life........

You can do that with other things too....like If u tell ur self that "I am going to make the most out of this day"......or whatever you feel like

I dont hav the book right now......my friend borrowed it...so i will share later.

oo wkd, im gona do dat. so if i say "Im gona pass dis exam" am i gona pass it? lol

Lina
11-17-2006, 11:53 PM

There's a lot you can do with little knowledge of how the brain works.

Nisrin
11-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Subhan'Allah

mohammed farah
11-19-2006, 11:16 PM
this is some intresting stuff keep them coming

- Qatada -
11-27-2006, 08:18 PM

The Good Cop - The Bad Cop.

This is used alot in the west compared to some countries where they use sticks to beat you up or you use money to get away with it.

Anyway, this is how it goes.

When some police come to your house to ask you regarding a situation - there will usually be two cops/policemen or women.

They come inside, or you go inside the police building and you will see two totally different personalities. One will be really harsh and angry/strict, while the other one will be really calm and soft, kind.

The one thats really angry and strict & harsh will shout at you and ask you questions directly. You might get scared because he/she's putting you under too much pressure [even though we shouldn't be because we have Allaah on our side.]

This is when their trick comes into power; the kind policeman/woman will start being really kind to you and will start asking what really happened. They might even tell the angry policeman or woman to calm down so the person can talk.

This is when your weakness or emotions might open up, because you feel that you can trust the good & kind one, because the other one was too harsh on you. So you will start explaining everything to the kind policeman or woman and the angry policeman or woman will quieten down.

For example:

Bad Cop: What were you doing at this time on 24th October!

Me: er..erm... i was at home.

Bad Cop: Are you really sure about that!? We'll just have to see won't we.

Good Cop: Leave him/her alone, you're a good person aren't you? Can you explain to us what happened. We're here to help you.

Bad Cop: Yeah! explain then.

Good Cop: Sssh... let him/her explain. Trustworthy people like you don't lie do you? *smiles*

Me: er.. i was at my friends house really, we went out and thats when the accident happened.

[Bad cop goes quiet, and Good Cop acts like a best friend to the person.]

Later on when they pull the truth out of you, some other day they will ask another person questions. The policemen or women may switch their role and the one that was kind to you may be harsh & angry and the other one who was harsh may become soft..

Why? Just so they can open up your fearful side, and due to this, you will explain everything to the 'good' cop and fear the 'bad one.' A tricky tool to open up your emotions, so you reveal the truth and everything to them.

What's the solution? Fear Allaah instead of the creation. And also remember:

On the authority of Ibn Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him), the Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alayhi waSalam) said: “Fear the dua (supplication) of he who has been wronged, for verily it ascends to the skies faster than the rays of light.” (Al-Haakim, Saheeh). A narration (Ahmad, Saheeh) reads:

“Fear the dua of he who has been wronged, even if he is a disbeliever, for there is no veil between it (and Allah (Subhana wa ta'aala)).”

learningislam
11-29-2006, 08:32 AM

MashaALLah....this post is nice......and so true...
Keep them coming...

- Qatada -
12-02-2006, 10:23 PM

In a court case, a person [maybe a solicitor or someone involved in the case] will get up and ask you, Is your name 'so and so'? Is this your occupation? etc. They will keep asking you simple questions which will involve a YES answer.

If this continues it becomes repetitive and puts the person under alot of pressure. When they know the person is weak, they go for the attack and may ask a question to do with the case. Purposelly trying to throw you into the trap of saying YES again.

This can lead you into the trap of falling guilty, and if you were to say NO after that, they could accuse you of lying because they would ask why you said YES in the first place.

I think it's used alot by prosecuting solicitors/lawyers.

Umm Safiya
12-03-2006, 12:37 AM

Wow, really? That's cheating..

Where do you get these things from akhi?

- Qatada -
12-07-2006, 07:07 PM

I hear them off lectures or psychology teachers. The thing is, in the non muslim law system - all they run after is this dunya [world], so the justice isn't always there. Like if Bill Gates (the head of Microsoft) was in a court case with some poor man who lives on the street, guess who would win?

It's really important that we have islaam, and we're living in a time when there is a great fitnah (trial) but we have to remember that if we can establish islaam once again, then the reward is great like the sahabah/companions of the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) because we're the only people (from the time of the fall of the Ottoman khalifah [early 1900s]) since the time of the sahabah [1400yrs ago] to not have an islamic state.

So if we can revive this once again, the reward will be huge insha'Allah. But this can only come through hard work, because the more effort one puts in sincerely for Allaah's sake, the greater the reward insha'Allaah. And Allaah has power over all things.

12-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Subhaanallah

aamirsaab
12-07-2006, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by learningislam
Watch ur Words !

That is commonly known as a self-fulfilling prophecy: because it's on your mind constantly, you'll inevitably perform the action. Whether the desired result occurs is a different matter ;)

Memories are often remembered with more clarity in the area that the memory occured e.g. you witness a mugging. By revisiting the scene, your recollection of the incident will be greatly enhanced than if you were to try recollecting that memory at say home or police station.

Also, we tend to dream of things in our subconscious and this can be influenced by what we read or hear. Here's an example: a tree. I guarantee that as a result, one person who read that word will have a dream sometime tonight that involves a tree (it may have little relevance to the overall dream, but it will be in there!). The key to this however, is that the reader forgets that trigger and in doing so allows it to slip into his/her subconscious. If you think about it hard enough, you've probably experienced it several times in the past without being aware at all.

learningislam
12-10-2006, 09:05 PM

have you ever noticed your habits. Whenever we are inspired by someone, , we unintentionally copy them. We adopt even very small habits.
e.g. a student might hold the pen in the same manner as his/her fav teacher does. He/she might speak in the same accent as that of his/her fav teacher.

Have you seen young kids and teens who watch so much action stuff....act like they are superman, terminator etc (lol i cant remember )... the least they do is wear a t-shirt with a insigna of superman's "s" /tarzan....and hercules like stuff. This is because that is what they see and that is what they like and appreciate.....

Similarly, if there are some good boys , who read good islamic books, and they think their heroes are the Sahabah and the Prophet (s.a.w.). They would copy them, like in every manner they can. For example, They like eating something which the Prophet (s.a.w.) liked.And they dislike what he (s.a.w.) disliked.......
Just like the SahaBahs (may Allah be pleased with them all)

Book 023, Hadith Number 5067.
------------------------------
Anas b. Malik reported: A tailor invited Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) to a meal which he had prepared. Anas b. Malik said: I went along with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) to that feast. He presented to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) barley bread and soup containing pumpkin, and sliced pieces of meat. Anas said: I saw Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) going after the pumpkin round the dish, so I have always liked the pumpkin since that day.

Book 023, Hadith Number 5094.
Jabir b. 'Abdullah reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) took hold of my hand one day (and led me) to his residence. There was presented to him some pieces of bread, whereupon he said: Is there no condiment? They (the members of his household) said: No, except some vinegar. He (the Holy Prophet) said: Vinegar is a good condiment. Jabir said: I have always loved vinegar since I heard it from Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him). Talha said: I have always loved vinegar since I heard about it from Jabir.

Book 023, Hadith Number 5097.
Chapter : Permissibility of eating garlic, but avoiding it when one intends to talk to eminent persons.

Abd Ayyub Ansari reported that when food was brought to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) he ate out of that, and sent the remaining part to me, and one day he sent to me the left-over; (I found that he) had not taken from it at all for it included garlic. I asked him whether that was forbidden, whereupon he said: No, but I do not like it because of its odour. He (Abu Ayyub Ansiri) said: Then I also do not like what you do not like.

So the good muslim kids dont say they want to be like the Hollywood heroes,
but they are like.....
"I wanna be like umar (r.a)"
"I wanna be like Khalid bin waleed(r.a.)

"I wanna be like Ayesha(r.a.)"
"I wanna be like Khadija (r.a.)"

starfortress
12-13-2006, 02:28 PM

I learn this just a few years back from a senior guy before i go for interviewing session(job application).

1)Shake the interviewer hand with a little bit tight than usually we does,to show them that we have high enough confident level,it is also a sign of honest,ingenuous and friendly.

2)Make some simulation practice not in physical action but in our mind while waiting.Imagine and create something that could match with the subject(job)
With a closing eyes then imagine when he/she pointing a question to u :okay:this trick will make you feel more calm and comfortable.

3)Do not seat before them,do not cheating and do not rude.:p

4)Stare directly to their eyes when talking to them,to show that you are not shy and not cheating to them

It was effective on me,hopefully you all too:)InshaAllah

Sabbir_1
12-19-2006, 12:27 AM
interesting thread, ok i got something for you al.. nothing to do phycology..but still interesting..

ok press ur arm right or left against the wall for about a minute. press it hard and then let go.. see what happens..saw this once on tv.

Naheezah
12-20-2006, 11:44 AM
nothing happend.:p

Sabbir_1
12-20-2006, 12:10 PM
u didnt do ir wright, your whole arm, including ur hands press them against the wall hard for a minute..

starfortress
12-20-2006, 01:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalil27
u didnt do ir wright, your whole arm, including ur hands press them against the wall hard for a minute..
I did it:hiding: ,i press my right hand until it shaking but less than a minute,i don't know i think it feels like my hand paralised and weak,is it true?

Sabbir_1
12-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Paralised, what you mean....

whats meant to happen is that once you let your arm go, it should start to raise by itself..without your control.. automatically. try it again... Lean against ur arm on the wall.

- Qatada -
12-31-2006, 10:28 PM

Males usually feel more uncomfortable if some stranger sits directly opposite to them.

Females
usually feel more uncomfortable if some stranger is sitting next to them.

Allaah azawajal knows best if that's true..

Naheezah
01-01-2007, 08:15 AM

Females
:rollseyes :rollseyes

Snowflake
01-06-2007, 10:44 PM
^LOL

I want to learn a psychological technique used by the tibetan monks to keep warm in the snowy mountains. They just wear them sarong thingies and don't feel the cold at all. Amazing eh?

ZAYD
01-07-2007, 12:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by peacechaser

wassalamualaikum

This is so true. my friends and i once asked another friend who was mumbling in his sleep for his pin number. he told us it and when we told him in the morning he was shocked and slightly peeved. never the less it was good fun, and dont worry he changed his pin the next day! lol :D

Sabbir_1
01-07-2007, 12:33 AM
does it work wid everyone...

umm-sulaim
01-07-2007, 12:47 AM
maybe...After our mu3alimah told us, we tried it on anyone we heard speakin at night...it worked, except for one of my cousins...Allahu a'lam i still think she was awake though...

wassalaam

Sabbir_1
01-14-2007, 11:39 PM
ok found some more interesting facts:

those that are good with handwriting can indicate they can draw or have an artistic ability.
Those that have sloppy handwriting usually excel at math and science.

The right side of one's brain controls the left hand,
and the left side of one's brain controls the right hand.

If one is more oriented towards the arts and is more creative, then he is right-brained.

If one prefers math and science and such, he is left-brained.

the pre-disposition of your brain towards artsy or science determines your dominant hand. But also genetics plays a part.

peacechaser
01-16-2007, 01:40 PM

Now that's a useful information :D Jazakallah khayr...

So, I've no talent at goodwriting, so...

I'm excel at math? hmmm...

I'm not using left hand. so....

my right brain is not dominant, then...

I'm not creative, whoops...

But excel at science, hmmm...

Quite confusing eh? :? CONFUSING!! :enough!: :skeleton:

:w:

Sabbir_1
01-16-2007, 04:20 PM
What is each color in psychology means ?

white--purity
blue--serenity
green--freshness, calm
yellow--determination
red--bravery
orange---strength
gold---wealth

syilla
01-24-2007, 02:31 AM

Females

[/B]
Allaah azawajal knows best if that's true..
i'm ssoooo like this.

but i thought it is the american culture to sit opposite of the other person.

Al-Zaara
01-24-2007, 06:50 PM

Males usually feel more uncomfortable if some stranger sits directly opposite to them.

Females usually feel more uncomfortable if some stranger is sitting next to them.
I'm like the men then. :p

lolwatever
01-25-2007, 09:50 AM
^ shesh im glad it said 'stranger'... otherwise wats hubby n wife hav 2do :offended:

lol salams

- Qatada -
03-23-2007, 10:24 PM

Once, Ali ibn Abi Talib - the cousin of the Messenger of Allaah, peace and blessings be upon him was asked:

What is the most strongest thing which Allaah has created?

He showed his 10 fingers, and said:

- Allaah made the mountains which have been standing for centuries.

However, mountains can be carved out and cut by Metal. Therefore Metal is stronger.

However, metal can be melted by fire - so fire is stronger.

But fire can be extinguished by water, so water is stronger.

But water can be carried by the clouds.

But the wind can blow the clouds in different directions - so that is stronger.

But the son of Adam can walk even if the wind comes in his way.

Yet intoxicants can even weaken the son of Adam and make him lose control of himself/herself.

But sleep can overcome this feeling of the effects of intoxication.

However, one cannot sleep if they have anxiety.

And this is exactly what the Messenger of Allaah used to pray that he doesn't fall into:

‘O Allaah, I take refuge in You from anxiety and sorrow, weakness and laziness, miserliness and cowardice, the burden of debts and from being over powered by men.

Anxiety is when you fear the future, and sorrow is regret over the past and continuous sadness. This isn't a good characteristic in the believer, and the person should place their trust in Allaah. Know that everything is in His control and nothing can harm you or benefit you except by His permission.

Allahumma inni 'a'udhubika minal hammi walhuzni, Wal'ajzi walkasali, walbukhli waljubni, Wa dal'id-daiyni wa ghalabatir-rajal

‘O Allaah, I take refuge in You from anxiety and sorrow, weakness and laziness, miserliness and cowardice, the burden of debts and from being over powered by men.’

Sahih al-Bukhari, 7/158

Once, they came to Abu ad-Darda' while he was in the mosque, saying to him: "O Abu ad-Darda'! Your house has been burned down!" He replied: "By Allah, it has not been burned down." They said: "It has been burned down!" He replied: "By Allah, it has not been burned down." They went to see that the fire had consumed everything in the area, and had stopped right at Abu ad-Darda''s house, and he did not even get up to go see for himself. They came back and asked him: "What drove you to insist that it had not been burned down?" He replied: "The Messenger of Allah had taught me some words that, if I say them, I will not be stricken with any harm," - he is secure! - "'O Allah, I seek refuge with You from sadness and grief, and I seek refuge with You from inability and laziness, and I seek refuge with You from cowardliness and stinginess, and I seek refuge with You from being overpowered by debts and men,' so, I made this supplication."

In regards to this same supplication, Abu Umamah narrated: "I was sitting in the mosque, when the Messenger of Allah asked me: "What is wrong, Abu Umamah?" I replied: "I am in distress because of a debt that I owe." The Prophet then told me: "Supplicate with these words ('O Allah, I seek refuge with You from sadness and grief...')." So, I supplicated with these words, and Allah removed my distress, and paid off my debt."

islamirama
03-24-2007, 04:33 PM
If you put the hand of a sleeping person in warm water. They will pee their bed.

Confucius
03-24-2007, 09:40 PM

those that are good with handwriting can indicate they can draw or have an artistic ability.

The right side of one's brain controls the left hand,
and the left side of one's brain controls the right hand.

If one is more oriented towards the arts and is more creative, then he is right-brained.

the pre-disposition of your brain towards artsy or science determines your dominant hand. But also genetics plays a part.

heeey thats not true...i have the WORST handwriting ... pple mostly mistake it for a guys (hehe) but i at the same time the artistic one in my family...err also the degree im working towards is Pharmacy...so err i rly enjoy maths/sciences, and i love doing creative stuff at the same time

haha ha proved u wrong

Maidah
03-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Ok don't know if this is true, but when somone talks to you face to face and if they look to the left side before giving an answer they're lying and if they look to the right before answering they're telling the truth.

But the looking up and remembering from the photographic memory thing is sooooooo true for me:giggling:

deen_2007
03-24-2007, 10:45 PM
:giggling:
format_quote Originally Posted by starfortress

4)Stare directly to their eyes when talking to them,to show that you are not shy and not cheating to them[/B]
lol...thats one thing i can't do. look into anyones eye for too long, specailly in a interview. i tend to look around while they talk....:giggling: ...then i dnt get the job!! ....wel now i have one....AHEM....:statisfie

OKAY Now Its Practicle Time

Basically guys...back in my college days our Psychology Tutor told us to try something while we are @ home. It freaked majority of us out: dnt worry its nothing scary or painful...its just...well i wont tell you. 1st give it a go...:D

well what you have to do...is sit down in a room where there is total silence. make sure you cnt here cars zooming...clock ticking...or ppl in the nxt room.

keep a clock far from you...but infront of you. so then what you do is stare at a 'certain point' (anywhere)...and not move your eyes at all for 10 mins +. yes you can blink, but you must make sure you stare at the same point. after around 10 mins.....tell us what happens!!!!! :D

i shall wait for results....(anyone who has done this..pls do not spoil it by revealing it too soon. i want to know whos brave enough to do it.

ps: dnt think too much about anything. try & just think about the spot ur looking at.....make sure u have little to think about. its a psychological test.

Snowflake
03-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by khalil27

lol true for me! I'm artisitc & creative & genius at improvising but can't understand simple math.. my brains just doesn't do numbers :-[

My son has sloppy handwriting and he's good at math. :thumbs_up

Yup, I'm left-handed!

so it's not my fault I'm rubbish@math. Finally found an excuse haha!! ;D :thumbs_up

shible
03-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Can someone summarize all the facts as a single post i think it would be more efficient to view than in general

aamirsaab
03-25-2007, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
If you put the hand of a sleeping person in warm water. They will pee their bed.
Not really psychological but more of an experiment. This was actually tested on a (science) show called Brainiac - the result was contradictory to that quoted above.

format_quote Originally Posted by Shible
Can someone summarize all the facts as a single post i think it would be more efficient to view than in general
Would be very difficult since there are far too many facts and most require the explanation.

Some news for those interested: Inshallah, I will post up all of my psychology notes (I never missed a lesson in year 1, and only 1 lesson missed in year 2, but the notes are all complete), from AS to A level, soon. Most likely in a month and a half.

islamirama
03-25-2007, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

Not really psychological but more of an experiment. This was actually tested on a (science) show called Brainiac - the result was contradictory to that quoted above.

Wouldn't be very difficult since there are far too many facts and most require the explanation.

Some news for those interested: Inshallah, I will post up all of my psychology notes (I never missed a lesson in year 1, and only 1 lesson missed in year 2, but the notes are all complete), from AS to A level, soon. Most likely in a month and a half.
Would be good if you can save them as pdf and then upload it there of some file host and the link here.

ruhi
03-25-2007, 04:51 PM
salam....
learned so much from this thread........thanks to everyone.. ok, this is what i read somewhere...

Keeping (both) hands in pocket
What it says about you: You are uninterested, uncommitted or nervous.

What to do instead: The solution here is too simple: Take your hands out of your pocket. Great business leaders who never once put both hands in their pockets during a presentation. One hand is acceptable -- as long as the free hand is gesturing.
-

Sabbir_1
03-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Keeping (both) hands in pocket
What it says about you: You are uninterested, uncommitted or nervous.
Also if you fold your arms, it means your bored. or uninterested. i knew loads cant remember most of them. ill post more if i remember inshallah.

Confucius
03-25-2007, 07:17 PM
LOL....in my driving lessons my instructor tends to stop the car to tell me stuff on theory (which is irrelevant according to me to my practical skills) i tend to lean back and fold my arms when listening to her...lol
aaand....she's now stoped teaching me the theory side of driving...err i guess my body language told her! lol

Sabbir_1
03-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Ive got this pdf book. and it shows how to tell if people are lying. But i cant copy and paste it, any one know how i can do it.plz lemme know jazakaala khair
Its got some interesting stuff in it.

Sabbir_1
03-25-2007, 07:38 PM
A person lying will usually make little or no eye contact

Physical expression will be limited with few arm and hand movements

If he is trying to appear casual and relaxed about his answer he may shrug a little

Theres movements away from his accuser, possibly towards the exit.

He/she used humour or sarcasm to defuse rather than responding seriously

His hand may go uo to his face or throat, especially to the mouth. He may also touch the nose, or scratch behind the ear.

Confucius
03-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Ive got this pdf book. and it shows how to tell if people are lying. But i cant copy and paste it, any one know how i can do it.plz lemme know jazakaala khair
Its got some interesting stuff in it.
umm do u mean it opens with adobe reader? then theres a 'select' tool whe u open the doc...its near the printer icon....it shows an arrow and a line...if u click on it it allows u to select bits and copy it...or u can click 'edit' and 'select all'

dunno if this will be useful..?

Sabbir_1
03-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Yes jazakalla khair it worked heres the first part of the book:

Signs of Deception
Once you realize that you’re being lied to, should you confront the liar immediately? Usually not. The best
approach is to note the fact in your mind and continue with the conversation, trying to extract more information.
Once you confront someone who has lied to you, the tone of the conversation changes and gathering additional facts
becomes difficult. Therefore, wait until you have all the evidence you want and then decide whether to confront the
person at that time or hold off to figure how you can best use this insight to your advantage.
Section 1: Body Language
• The person will make little or no eye contact. A person who is lying to you will do
everything to avoid making eye contact.
• Physical expression will be limited, with few arm and hand movements. What arm and hand
movements are present will seem stiff, and mechanical. Hands, arm and legs pull in toward
the body; the individual takes up less space.
• His hand(s) may go up to his face or throat, especially to the mouth. But contact with his
body is limited to these areas. He is also unlikely to touch his chest with an open hand
gesture. He may also touch the nose or scratch behind the ear.
• If he is trying to appear casual and relaxed about his answer, he may shrug a little.
Section 2: Emotional States: Consistency and Contradiction
• The timing is off between gestures and words. If the facial expression comes after the verbal
statement (“I am so angry with you right now” … pause … and then the angry expression), it
looks false.
• The head moves in a mechanical fashion without regard to emphasis, indicating a conscious
movement.
• Gestures don’t match the verbal message, such as frowning when saying “I love you.” Hands
tightly clenched and a statement of pleasure are not in sync with each other.
• The timing and duration of emotional gestures will seem off. The emotion is delayed coming
on, stays longer than it should, and fades out abruptly.
• Expression will be limited to the mouth area when the person is feigning certain emotions –
happiness, surprise, awe, and so on – rather than the whole face.
Section 3: Interpersonal Interactions – When we are wrongfully accused, only a guilty person gets
defensive. Someone who is innocent will usually go on the offensive.
• He is reluctant to face his accuser and may turn his head or shift his body away.
• The person who is lying will probably slouch; he is unlikely to stand tall with his arms out or
outstretched.
• There’s movement away from his accuser, possibly in the direction of the exit.
• There will be little or no physical contact during his attempt to convince you.
• He will not point his finger at the person he is trying to convince.
• He may place physical objects (pillow, drinking glass, et cetera) between himself and his
accuser to form a barrier, with a verbal equivalent of “I don’t want to talk about it,” indicating
deception or covert intention.
Section 4: What Is Said: Actual Verbal Content
• He will use your words to make his point. When asked, “Did you cheat on me?” The liar
answers, “No, I didn’t cheat on you.” In addition, when a suspect uses a contraction – “It
wasn’t me” instead of “It was not me” – statistically, there is a 60% chance he is truthful.
• He may stonewall, giving an impression that his mind is made up. This is often an attempt to
limit your challenges to his position. If someone says right up front that he positively won’t
budge, it means one thing: He knows he can be swayed. He needs to tell you this so you
won’t ask, because he knows he’ll cave in. The confident person will use phrases like “I’m
sorry, this is pretty much the best we can do.”
• Watch out for the good old Freudian slip.
• He depersonalizes his answer by offering his belief on the subject instead of answering
directly. A liar offers abstract assurances as evidence of his innocence in a specific instance.
Example: “Did you ever cheat on me?” and you hear, “You know I’m against that sort of
thing. I think it morally reprehensible.”
• He will keep adding more information until he’s sure that he has sold you on his story. The
guilty are uncomfortable with silence. He speaks to fill the gap left by the silence.
• He may imply an answer but never state it directly.
Section 5: How Something Is Said
• Deceitful response to questions regarding beliefs and attitudes take longer to think up.
However, how fast does the rest of the sentence follow the initial one-word response? In
truthful statements a fast no or yes is followed quickly by an explanation. If the person is
being deceitful the rest of the sentence may come more slowly because he needs time to think
up an explanation.
• Watch out for reactions that are all out of proportion to the question. May repeat points that
he has already made. May also be reluctant to use words that convey attachment and
ownership or possessiveness (“that car” as opposed to “my car”).
• The person who is lying may leave out pronouns and speak in a monotonous and inexpressive
voice. When a person is making a truthful statement, he emphasizes the pronoun as much as
or more than the rest of the sentence.
• Words may be garbled and spoken softly, and syntax and grammar may be off. In other
words, his sentences will likely be muddled rather than emphasized.
• Statements sound an awful lot like questions, indicating that he’s seeking reassurance. Voice,
head and eyes lift at the end of their statement.
Section 6: Psychological Profile
• We often see the world as a reflection of ourselves. If you’re being accused of something,
check your accuser’s veracity. Watch out for those people who are always telling you just
how corrupt the rest of the world is. Beware of those asking you if you believe him. They
may respond with, “you don’t believe me, do you?” Most people who tell the truth expect to
be believed.
• Look at whether his focus is internal or external. When a person is confident about what he’s
saying, he’s more interested in your understanding him and less interested in how he appears
to you.
• In a liar’s story, he will usually not give the point of view of a third party. To illustrate giving
a point of view of someone else, “My roommate was so shocked that I would…”
• In relating a story, a liar often leaves out the negative aspects (unless the story is used to
explain way he was delayed or had to cancel plans). The story of a vacation, for example,
should have both positive and negative aspects of what happened.
• A liar willingly answers your questions but asks none of his own. For example, during their
first intimate encounter, Randy asks his new girlfriend if she’s ever been tested for AIDS.
She responds with “Oh, yes, certainly,” and continues on a bit about annual checkups, giving
blood, etc. And then nothing! If she was concerned about her health, as her answer implied,
then she would have asked him the same question. The liar is often unaware that coming
across as truthful means both answering and asking questions.
Section 7: General Indications of Deceit
• When the subject is changed, he’s in a better, more relaxed mood. The guilty wants the
subject changed; the innocent always wants a further exchange of information.
• He does not become indignant when falsely accused. While he is being accused the liar will
remain fairly expressionless. The liar is more concerned with how he is going to respond than
he is with the accusation itself.
• He uses such phrases as “To tell you the truth,” “To be perfectly honest,” and “Why would I
lie to you?”
• He has an answer to your question down pat, such as giving precise detail to an event
occurring two months ago.
• He stalls by asking you to repeat the question or by answering your question with a question.
“Where did you hear that?” “Could you be more specific?” or even repeating your question
back to you, at an attempt at sounding incredulous. For example, “Did I sell you a puppy with
a heart condition? Is that what you’re asking me?”
• What he’s saying sounds implausible, such as “During the past ten years, I have never used a
specific racial epithet.”
• He offers a preamble to his statement starting with “I don’t want you to think that…” Often
that’s exactly what he wants you to think. Whenever someone makes a point of telling you
what they’re not doing, you can be sure it’s exactly what they are doing. Such as, “Not to
hurt your feelings, but…”
• He implies through a form of denial. You hear, “He’s having marital problems, but it has
nothing to do with his wife’s new job.” What’s the first thing you ask? “What does his wife
do?” Suddenly you’re in the exact conversation that is “supposed” to have no bearing on the
facts.
• He uses humor or sarcasm to defuse your concerns, rather than responding seriously.
• He offers you a “better” alternative to your request when he is unable to give you what you
originally asked for. Before you accept someone at his word that he has something better to
offer, first see whether he has what you originally asked for. If he doesn’t, then you shouldn’t
believe him.
• All of his facts relating to numbers are the same or multiples of one another. Watch out when
facts, figures, and information have unusual similarities.
• There is evidence of involuntary responses that are anxiety based. Anxiety causes many
things. His breather may appear as a deep, audible inhaling in an attempt to control his
breathing to calm himself. Swallowing becomes difficult; he may clear his throat. His ability
to focus on something is often diminished, unable to pay attention to what’s going on.
• He uses an obvious fact to support a dubious action. For example, let’s say that a guard is
standing watch over a restricted area. It’s his job to check ID’s of those who enter. “I’m not
sure you have authorization,” he says to a man attempting access. “I’m not surprised,”
answered the man, “only a few people are aware of my clearance level. My work here is not
supposed to be known by everyone.”
• He casually tells you something that deserves more attention.
• He exclaims his displeasure at the actions of another who has done something similar so that
you will not suspect him. For instance, if he is trying to throw you off track of his
embezzlement scheme, he may openly chastise another employee for “borrowing” some
office supplies for personal use at home. Your impression is that he is moral person who
objects to something as minor as stealing office supplies. Certainly he cannot be responsible
for a large-scale embezzlement scheme.
• He may casually tell you something that should deserve more attention. “Oh by the way, I’ve
got to go out of town next weekend on business.” If he doesn’t usually travel for work on the
weekends, then you would expect her to make a point of how unusual the trip is. Her
downplaying the trip makes it suspicious. When something out of the ordinary happens and
the person doesn’t draw attention to it, it means that he is trying to draw attention away from
it. Another tactic is running off a long list of items in the hope that one will remain unnoticed.
• If he lies about one thing, everything he says is questionable.
• His story is so wild that you almost don’t believe it. But you do, because if he wanted to lie,
you think that he would have come up with something more plausible.

HIJABI***
03-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Also if you fold your arms, it means your bored. or uninterested. i knew loads cant remember most of them. ill post more if i remember inshallah.
also it acts like a barrier towards the person ur talkin to!!!

Muezzin
03-27-2007, 01:33 AM
Women are the best liars.

Might want to take all that body language stuff with a pinch of salt though - some people are just nervous, even when they're being totally honest.

And here's a nice saying that has nothing to do with lying, but everything to do with positive thinking:

'Try not. Do or do not. There is no try'

Granted, those words were spoken by a puppet, but they're still good words to live by.

Hayate
04-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Simple problems such as bad habits can be easily resolved with a little patience and the right technique.

The mind has three basic states; the conscious, the subconscious, and the unconscious. Each controls different behaviors of our body and thought. One can delve into the subconcious mind to correct certain flaws as well as do some other "things" (such as better muscle control, increase in height, weight loss, the list goes on and on).

1. Sit in a place without any distractions (such as little to no light, and no sound or some white sound (such as a fan)).
2. Sit in a comfortable position, but not so comfortable that you might fall asleep and then close your eyes.
3. Imagine the numbers 1 through 10 going through your mind. Focus on only this, if any other thoughts come up then simply take a quick look at them and push them aside. You must forget about everything that is bothering you such as stress or work, or studying or whatever. You will end up in an unaware state if you do it right.
4. The first few times it may hurt your head a bit and it may be hard to stat in such a head. As you practice this more and more, it will get easier and easier.
5. Once you're in such a state, all you need to do is suggest something to yourself a few times. Once you feel you're done, then "wake up" slowly and rest for a bit. Do something relaxing afterwards.

Keep practicing a few times a week and you should see the results of self suggestion.

- Qatada -
06-28-2007, 07:34 PM

If you continuously be told that you did something, even if you never did it - then you finally accept it and believe it to be true, and that it really happened. Even if it never.

Some people did an experiment on someone who was sitting next to a desk, with a computer. Suddenly, the desk fell and the computer got harmed.

An actor walked past the person who was sitting next to the desk and shouted "What have you done!? you broke the computer!"

The person sitting near the desk was confused, 'how did it happen?' - but the person who was walking past continued shouting how they had broken the desk.

The person next to the desk denied it first, but because the actor had said it so much times, he accepted the blame in the end and said it was his own fault.

This technique is used alot in prisons too, especially in places like Guantanamo bay, and other places like this (may Allaah release the innocent believers and grant them safety, ameen).

They repeatedly put pressure on the victim, and because the person is under pressure - they put the blame on themselves and seriously start to believe they did the wrong. Even if they were really innocent.

And Allaah knows best.

wilberhum
06-28-2007, 07:43 PM
especially in places like Guantanamo bay
Ah, a Guantanamo bay expert.:-[
How did you gain your knowledge. :D

- Qatada -
06-28-2007, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Ah, a Guantanamo bay expert.:-[
How did you gain your knowledge. :D

I've heard Moazzam Begg's speech in his videos since he's been released, a former detainee.

Regards.

wilberhum
06-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Good Answer. :thumbs_up

nebula
06-29-2007, 01:25 AM
asalaamalakum bros and sisters ive got a few mind tricks that u lot will really find interesting :ace: :blind:

the first 1 is called the 'Pupil Trick'

Look in the mirror and watch your eyes as you vividly imagine something pleasurable. It can be a beautiful scene, your favorite naked body, or anything else that will create desire in you. You'll notice your pupils getting larger almost immediately. If you practice a bit, you can make your pupils instantly larger at will.

Pupils enlarge when you are aroused, interested and receptive. When you are with someone and your pupils dilate, the person you are talking to subconsciously senses your interest in them or what they are saying, and they like that. This makes it easier for them to like you, and to listen to what you suggest. You don't have to be a salesman to take advantage of this.

the second 1 is a 'reading trick' i personaly find this one the most
interesting

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

:thumbs_up

snakelegs
06-29-2007, 03:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -

If you continuously be told that you did something, even if you never did it - then you finally accept it and believe it to be true, and that it really happened. Even if it never.

the media is well aware of the power of repitition. so are advertisers.

Muezzin
06-29-2007, 09:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
the media is well aware of the power of repitition. so are advertisers.
To be fair 'Da da da da I'm lovin it' isn't exactly as harmful as say 'Have you now or have you ever been a Communist?' :p

- Qatada -
07-24-2007, 08:25 PM

Stress

Changes in your lifestyle creates demands.

Allaah says (translation of the meaning):

Verily We have created man into toil and struggle.

[Qur'an 90: 4]

The more difficulty you have in coping with these demands - the greater the stress can be.

But we know that the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said (translation of the meaning);

" Wondrous are the believer's affairs. For him there is good in all his affairs, and this is so only for the believer. When something pleasing happens to him, he is grateful, and that is good for him; and when something displeasing happens to him, he is enduring (sabar), and that is good for him "

[Sahih Muslim]

People who don't have faith in Allaah don't understand why they face these difficulties. Yet we know that whenever Allaah trials a believer, it is a source of forgiveness for them.

So what's the Islamic response when you have alot of demands in life?

One day Allah's Messenger, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, noticed a Bedouin leaving his camel without tying it. He asked the Bedouin, "Why don't you tie down your camel?"
The Bedouin answered, "I placed my trust in Allah."

At that, the Prophet, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, said, "Tie your camel and place your trust in Allah" - Tirmidhi

So all we have to do is do all we have control over, then place our trust in Allaah. Don't stress over it, because nothing happens except by Allaah's leave, so ask Him for the help. You just tie the camel, and Allaah will keep your affairs safe once you've done what you have control over.

Physical signs of stress
involve muscle tension, fatigue, unable to think clearly, BUT within 3 or 4 minutes, after moving into a leafy surrounding the pulse rate is measurably reduced! So it goes less if you go in a leafy area, or a place where there are loads of plants.

It's even been proven in studies that in hospitals patients who can see trees recover quicker than patients who only see buildings.

piXie
07-24-2007, 09:13 PM

some interesting posts here, i liked the spelling one! :D

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Women are the best liars.
are we really ?

I thot Iblees was the BEST liar, n he is not from the 'female' race :p

lying depends on how much u love and fear Allah. If u dont love Him, and dont fear Him, u will hv no problem lying....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.