/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is eating insects haram?

LUVAR
11-13-2006, 06:15 PM
:sl: everyone i just wanted to ask if anyone knows if eating insects allowed? or is it haram?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
11-13-2006, 06:28 PM
The following items have been categorically spelled out as being Haram:

1. Pig/Swine/Pork and its by-products.
2. Blood and blood by-products.
3. Carnivorous animals.
4. Reptiles and insects.
5. Halal animals which are not slaughtered according to the Islamic Law.
6. Animals killed in the name of anyone other than God.
7. The bodies of dead animals or dead before slaughtering.
8. Alcohol and intoxicants such as Wine, Ethyl Alcohol, and Spirits etc.

I think locusts are halal though. I'm not sure where I heard that :confused:

- Qatada -
11-13-2006, 06:29 PM
:salamext:

Ruling on eating insects, vermin and rodents

Question:

What is the ruling on eating insects, vermin and rodents?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Al-Nawawi said:

According to the scholars, the vermin of the earth such as snakes, scorpions, dung beetles, cockroaches, rats etc., are haraam. This is the view of Abu Haneefah, Ahmad and Dawood.

Al-Shaafa’i and his companions quote as evidence for that the aayah,

“and prohibits them as unlawful Al-Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods),”
[al-A’raaf 7:157 – interpretation of the meaning]

These are things which the Arabs find repulsive. And they quote as evidence the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “(There are) five animals, all of which are evil and should be killed in the Haram (sanctuary of Makkah): crows, kites [a kind of bird], scorpions, rats and vicious dogs.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim from the report of ‘Aa’ishah, Hafsah and Ibn ‘Umar). It was narrated from Umm Shurayk that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded the killing of lizards. (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). With regard to the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maytah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork); for that surely, is impure or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah (or has been slaughtered for idols, or on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering).” [al-An’aam 6:145]

al-Shaafa’i and other scholars said: what this refers to is things which you used to eat and regard as good. Al-Shaafa’i said: this is the most likely meaning of the aayah, based on the Sunnah. And Allaah knows best.

Al-Majmoo’, 9/17, 18

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...ng&txt=insects

Abu Ibraheem
11-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Are prawns halal or haram?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strider
11-13-2006, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Ibraheem
Halal.

LUVAR
11-13-2006, 06:33 PM
jazakullah for the insects inshAllah won't be eating red or yellow skittles anymore.

LUVAR
11-13-2006, 06:35 PM
oh and ya prawns are halal as they are from the ocean

Abu Ibraheem
thanks

- Qatada -

Are there any types of seafood that Muslims are not permitted to eat?

Question:

Please forgive me for my ignorance in this matter. I am very interested in learning the ways of Islam. My question concerns dietary rulings. What types of fish and seafood are permissible?
Thank you for your help.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Among the blessings that Allaah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185].

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maa’idah 5:96]. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’aamuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above.

These are:
Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).

Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa’ 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195].

(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Haashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/197; and Ahkaam al-At’imah by al-Fawzaan).
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...ng&txt=seafood

Snowflake
11-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Oh and red smarties are haraam. The red colour is derived by crushing beetles.

Abu Ibraheem
11-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Big thanks for that bro, fancy a crocodile? :D

Abu Ibraheem
11-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Red Smarties??????? how do you know that?

Snowflake
11-13-2006, 06:40 PM
I read it in the halal/haram food directory.

LUVAR
11-13-2006, 06:40 PM
oh i heard strawberry milkshake is haram as well as its the red colouring that contains insects or something:?

Zone Maker
11-13-2006, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
I think locusts are halal though. I'm not sure where I heard that :confused:
:sl:

Well I don't know myself if it is halal or not but, people here in Oman eat locusts especially in villages.

Can some one tell me the ruling on it?

:w:

amirah_87
11-13-2006, 07:13 PM
As Salaamu ALaykum,

Well I don't know myself if it is halal or not but, people here in Oman eat locusts especially in villages.

Can some one tell me the ruling on it?
There's a hadeeth by Abdillaahi Ibn Abi Awfaa (Radiyallaahu 'anhu) He said:
We were with The Prophet Salallaahu 'alayhi wasallam at 7 Ghazwa's in which we were eating Locusts.
and it's in Bukhari and Muslim!

So, I guess it's Halal, Wallahu A'lam!!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Why would strawberry milkshake be haraam? its a fruit....

Mu'Min
11-13-2006, 10:21 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't eat insects even if they were halal. I guess I have to say... Alhamdulilah they're haram.

amirah_87
11-13-2006, 10:35 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Now come Ladies!! I'm sure You'd do it if you were in a Life and death situation!!
Like the Sahaabahs in that Hadeeth, that's all they had to survive on for 7 Ghazwas.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Yea i would, if i had to survive. Your right lol.

Mu'Min
11-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Life and death...:rollseyes hmm... I mean we're all going to die sooner or later... so maybe I wouldn't eat it... than again maybe I would... I don't know what I would do actually. Guess I gotta be in that situation to really respond.

Yasmine018
11-14-2006, 08:07 AM

One thing that i know is that in the circumstance like famine, then Pork will be halaal to eat.

LUVAR
11-14-2006, 05:47 PM
id die first b4 i woud eat pork:heated:

InToTheRain
11-14-2006, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LUVAR
id die first b4 i woud eat pork:heated:
You say that now... but Allah hu Allom :D

By the way grasshoppers/Locusts I heard where Halal so feel free to enjoy the delicacy whenver you get the chanc Insha'Allah...It tastes like chicken...mmmmm...

Zone Maker
11-14-2006, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WnbSlveOfAllah
You say that now... but Allah hu Allom :D

By the way grasshoppers/Locusts I heard where Halal so feel free to enjoy the delicacy whenver you get the chanc Insha'Allah...It tastes like chicken...mmmmm...

My parents used to eat them, but they stopped. These days' locusts are polluted by insect sprays.

Muezzin
11-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Oh and red smarties are haraam. The red colour is derived by crushing beetles.
Eww, bug blood.

Also, why the heck would anyone want to eat insects? :playing:

syilla
11-15-2006, 12:53 AM
^^^ i don't know...

but they say fried grasshoppers are delicious...

*noor
11-15-2006, 01:51 AM
ok so insects are haram

but what about earthworms?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-15-2006, 02:10 AM
ewww, i wouldnt eat it even if it weren't haram...
they're like soo wiggly and slimy *barf*

btw, dont u mean aren't sis?

*noor
11-15-2006, 02:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
ewww, i wouldnt eat it even if it weren't haram...
they're like soo wiggly and slimy *barf*

btw, dont u mean aren't sis?
lol sis i don't think i'd ever make some sort of dish from worms either but i am curious!!

no sister, i mean are, not aren't
Allahu a3lam but according to the below post, insects are haraam.

format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
:salamext:

Ruling on eating insects, vermin and rodents

Question:

What is the ruling on eating insects, vermin and rodents?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Al-Nawawi said:

According to the scholars, the vermin of the earth such as snakes, scorpions, dung beetles, cockroaches, rats etc., are haraam. This is the view of Abu Haneefah, Ahmad and Dawood.

Al-Shaafa’i and his companions quote as evidence for that the aayah,

“and prohibits them as unlawful Al-Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods),”
[al-A’raaf 7:157 – interpretation of the meaning]

These are things which the Arabs find repulsive. And they quote as evidence the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “(There are) five animals, all of which are evil and should be killed in the Haram (sanctuary of Makkah): crows, kites [a kind of bird], scorpions, rats and vicious dogs.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim from the report of ‘Aa’ishah, Hafsah and Ibn ‘Umar). It was narrated from Umm Shurayk that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded the killing of lizards. (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). With regard to the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘I find not in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be Maytah (a dead animal) or blood poured forth (by slaughtering or the like), or the flesh of swine (pork); for that surely, is impure or impious (unlawful) meat (of an animal) which is slaughtered as a sacrifice for others than Allaah (or has been slaughtered for idols, or on which Allaah’s Name has not been mentioned while slaughtering).” [al-An’aam 6:145]

al-Shaafa’i and other scholars said: what this refers to is things which you used to eat and regard as good. Al-Shaafa’i said: this is the most likely meaning of the aayah, based on the Sunnah. And Allaah knows best.

Al-Majmoo’, 9/17, 18

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...ng&txt=insects

Kswiss
11-20-2006, 02:58 AM
Not sure, but i wouldn't eat any bug or insect lol

Snowflake
11-20-2006, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Eww, bug blood.

Also, why the heck would anyone want to eat insects? :playing:
Cochineal is the name of both an expensive crimson or carmine dye and the cochineal insect (Dactylopius coccus), from which the dye is derived. The cochineal insect is a scale insect in the suborder Sternorrhyncha, native to tropical and subtropical South America and Mexico.

Cochineal is primarily used as a food colouring and for cosmetics.

format_quote Originally Posted by *noor
lol sis i don't think i'd ever make some sort of dish from worms either but i am curious!!.
eww I can't imagine worms being halal and even if they were, imagine rolling them on around ur fork like you would spaghetti! :heated:

Snowflake
11-21-2006, 09:28 AM
^lol u wanna be
spghetti buggernaise
lol, well you wouldn't need a separate sauce, that would already be in the worms ;D

btw, I found this..

The Exemption of Sea Food and Locusts

The Islamic Shari'ah has exempted fish, whales, and other sea creatures from the category of "dead animals." When the Prophet (peace be on him) was asked about the sea, he replied, Its water is pure and its dead are halal. (Reported by Ahmad and other compilers of the Sunnah.)

Says Allah Ta'ala: The game of the sea is permitted to you and so is its food.... (5:99 (96)) and 'Umar explained, "Its game is what is caught from it and its food is what is thrown out from it," while Ibn 'Abbas said, "Its food is its dead (animals)."

In the two Sahihs of al-Bukhari and Muslim, it is reported on the authority of Jabir that the Prophet (peace be on him) once sent some of his Companions on an expedition. They found a dead whale by the sea and subsisted on it for more than twenty days. On their return to Madinah, they told the Prophet (peace be on him) about this and he said, Eat the food which Allah has brought forth for you, and feed us from it if you have any left. They then brought him some whale meat and he ate it. (Reported by al-Bukhari.)
By the same token, locusts are exempted from the category of "dead animals."

The Prophet (peace be on him) gave permission to eat dead locusts, as the question of slaughtering them does not arise. Said Ibn Abu Awfa, "We went with the Prophet (peace be on him) on seven expeditions, and we ate locusts with him." (Reported by all the authentic collections of ahadith excepting that of Ibn Majah.)

peacechaser
11-21-2006, 11:22 AM

Jazakallah sister:D

The Prophet (peace be on him) gave permission to eat dead locusts, as the question of slaughtering them does not arise. Said Ibn Abu Awfa, "We went with the Prophet (peace be on him) on seven expeditions, and we ate locusts with him." (Reported by all the authentic collections of ahadith excepting that of Ibn Majah.)
I'm sure it's just for emergency.

Snowflake
11-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Crunchy locust anyone? :p

According ot hadith and >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust
Locusts are also considered acceptable to Muslims under Dhabiĥa if they are caught live and then die, the individual catching the locust does not necessarily have to be Muslim [1]
looking at the pic, I can't imagine how they'd be eaten.. I mean would you pull off the wings and munch on the rest or what? Sure we eat animals but we don't eat the contents of their stomachs. So how could we just gobble up a whole locust with it's inside intact? +o(

I'm never gonna eat one and that's for sure.

Abu Ibraheem
11-22-2006, 01:41 AM
what about grass hoppers?

Woodrow
11-22-2006, 06:03 AM
In the US what most people call a grasshopper is a locust and what many Americans call a locust is a cicada.

As far as eating insects. Fortunatly we are not to be blamed for doing what is unavoidable. We all eat a number of insects without realising it. If you eat vegtables and fruit you are bound to swallow a few small bugs without ever knowing it. Flour and cereal grains are notorious for having a large number of meal worms in them. Some things can't be avoided.

*noor
11-22-2006, 06:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
In the US what most people call a grasshopper is a locust and what many Americans call a locust is a cicada.

As far as eating insects. Fortunatly we are not to be blamed for doing what is unavoidable. We all eat a number of insects without realising it. If you eat vegtables and fruit you are bound to swallow a few small bugs without ever knowing it. Flour and cereal grains are notorious for having a large number of meal worms in them. Some things can't be avoided.
yeah i also heard that each person on average swallows about 6 spiders per year.

Abu Ibraheem
11-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Cockroaches ....yukkkkkk ... what about cockroahes - arent they poisoness?

Woodrow
11-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Cockroaches ....yukkkkkk ... what about cockroahes - arent they poisoness?
Not poisonous but can carry numerous dieases. I rember back in the 1940s there was a connection found between them and the spread of Polio.

The giant Madagasgar Singing CockRoach is often eaten deliberatly. There are several hundred species of Cockroaches. Bit, of trivia Locusts, Cockroaches, and Mantids are all sub-species within the same insect family.

11-22-2006, 03:18 PM
As far as i've heard eating insects is haram, but as for those found in fruits (e.g dates) they are ok coz it's sunnah.

btw in the ingredients of foods shellac is an insect derivative
also some apples are coated in some sort of insect thing to make them crispy +o(

Mawaddah
11-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Crunchy locust anyone? :p

According ot hadith and >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust

looking at the pic, I can't imagine how they'd be eaten.. I mean would you pull off the wings and munch on the rest or what? Sure we eat animals but we don't eat the contents of their stomachs. So how could we just gobble up a whole locust with it's inside intact? +o(

I'm never gonna eat one and that's for sure.
You should come to Yemen sis ;D

And yup thats exactly how most of the people there eat them :). Just catch the grasshopper/locust/cicada and strip of the legs (apparently they're prickly) and then just pop the whole thing in your mouth.

Sometimes the kids gather bags of them and pinch off the head and legs and then fry them up.

You got them munching on grasshoppers 4 inches long!! It's downright scary to watch I tell you :-\

Woodrow
11-22-2006, 04:46 PM
I believe that the main points made are:

Eating insects is generaly Haram.

There are some exceptions:
Locusts under some conditions.
Insects eaten accidently
In times of famine

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the summary lol.
I WAS getting a bit lost...:)

Musaafirah
11-22-2006, 11:14 PM
E220 is an ingredient used in some sweets..and consists of crushed insects..
We can't eat this can we? :muddlehea

Al-Zaara
12-06-2006, 02:58 PM

About E220, go here, page 2.

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...E220#post63061

12-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Lately it has been found that pigs have worms in them that can live in any part of ur body including you eyes and brain. +o(

But we don't eat them because it is a command from Allah.

http://members.cox.net/arshad/hear.html

Woodrow
12-06-2006, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rose_Ice
Lately it has been found that pigs have worms in them that can live in any part of ur body including you eyes and brain. +o(

But we don't eat them because it is a command from Allah.

http://members.cox.net/arshad/hear.html
True we do not need to know anymore then the fact that Allah(swt) has said it is haram. But, there is another very interesting thing about pigs. A pig does not have a defined neck and therefore can not be slaughtered in a Halal manner.

Woodrow
12-06-2006, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sarah_deen
im not being funny or anything but why would anyone want to eat insects? thats so gross!
They are eaten in many parts of the world. Throughout termites and ants have long been a favorite of many people. There are varieties of ants called "Honey Pots" the worker ants look like gum drops they are full of honey. In many primative areas they are eaten like candy.

Here is a short read about the ones in the USA, they are found world wide tho.

http://askabiologist.asu.edu/research/ants/ants.html

termites are very fatty and from what I understand they have a meat flavor to them.

Woodrow
12-06-2006, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sarah_deen
that is subhanALLAH without meaning to cause any offence - gross!
anyways if its halal? its all masha ALLAH good insha ALLAH.

sorry for my ignorance just find that a little ...difficult to digest;)
hehe
salaaam
I should have reiterated that eating insects is haram even if many non-Muslims world wide do eat them.

Al-Zaara
12-26-2006, 11:11 AM

Eating insects is haram, as it has been stated in earlier posts, I think the message is clear now so...

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.