/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Earth's Movement around the Sun

Bittersteel
06-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Does or does not Islam and Quran agree with the fact that Earth revolves around the sun?

I recently found these:

"Is not He Who has made the Earth as a fixed abode……" [An-Naml (27:61)]

"Until, when he reached the setting of the sun, he found it set in a spring of murky water: Near it he found a People: We said: 'O Zul-qarnain! (thou hast authority,) either to punish them, or to treat them with kindness.' (The Noble Quran, 18:86)"

well what do these mean.

I will be most greateful if you help me.Thanks amd may peace be on you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
06-27-2005, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Aziz
Does or does not Islam and Quran agree with the fact that Earth revolves around the sun?

I recently found these:

"Until, when he reached the setting of the sun, he found it set in a spring of murky water: Near it he found a People: We said: 'O Zul-qarnain! (thou hast authority,) either to punish them, or to treat them with kindness.' (The Noble Quran, 18:86)"

well what do these mean.

:sl:
taken from tafir ibn kathir..

"Is not He Who has made the Earth as a fixed abode……"
meaning, stable and stationary, so that it does not move or convulse, because if it were to do so, it would not be a good place for people to live on. But by His grace and mercy, He has made it smooth and calm, and it is not shaken or moved

"Until, when he reached the setting of the sun, he found it set in a spring of murky water: Near it he found a People: We said: 'O Zul-qarnain! (thou hast authority,) either to punish them, or to treat them with kindness.

he followed a route until he reached the furthest point that could be reached in the direction of the sun's setting, which is the west of the earth. As for the idea of his reaching the place in the sky where the sun sets, this is something impossible, and the tales told by storytellers that he traveled so far to the west that the sun set behind him are not true at all. Most of these stories come from the myths of the People of the Book and the fabrications and lies of their heretics.

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-27-2005, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Aziz
Some critics claim that this verse implies that the earth doesn't move, which is truly a laughable claim. The word qaraara refers to the structure of the earth, meaning that the earth is a firm foundation upon which we can travel and construct buildings. As Omar Sarwar notes:

In Surah An-Naml, 27:61, what has been translated as a "fixed abode should be translated as a "stable resting place," as denoted by the Arabic term qarar, in this case for the innumerable inhabitants of the earth. As far as life on earth is concerned, the earth is "fixed" and "stable" enough that life can exist, evolve, flourish, perish, and regenerate on it. The verse goes on to discuss the mountains and the oceans and, therefore, does not seem to warrant a reading from an astronomical perspective at all.
The "fixed" aspect of the earth is the solid crust of the earth.

Other verses are also used in their claim:
Verily! Allah grasps the heavens and the Earth lest they move away from their places,..." [ Fatir (35:41)]
This verse does not mean the earth is stationary at all. The arabic word tazoola implies something which vanishes from its location, or falling into disarray and chaos.

Hence, Allah SWT states that the planets are grasped firmly, which would be interpreted in scientific terms as the centripetal force involved in the earth's orbit. The earth remains in tight orbit around the sun and does not wander aimlessly through the universe.

A very common verse used in anti-islamic claims.

The answer is that the word used, wajada means that it appeared to Dhul-Qarnayn that it set in the water. Refuted in detail here:
http://faithfreedom.com/anti_islamic...ulqarnain.html

I hope this helps.
:w:

Bittersteel
06-27-2005, 06:17 PM
thanks and so i can say that Islam accepts that Earth revolves around the sun not vice versa?

A Bangladeshi woman said that Islam teaches that Sun revolves around the Earth so I started this thread.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansar Al-'Adl
06-27-2005, 10:25 PM

The woman is wrong. The earth revolves around the sun, and the sun also moves in on a fixed path.

root
06-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Some critics claim that this verse implies that the earth doesn't move, which is truly a laughable claim. The word qaraara refers to the structure of the earth, meaning that the earth is a firm foundation upon which we can travel and construct buildings. As Omar Sarwar notes:
I normally don't like posting in "Basics of Islam" for it's a beleif issue and thus I tend to let it be. However, I would like to point out that not only does the Earth move around the sun than our "Crust" is also moving. All the continents in the world have been and continue to move.

Our firm foudations are constantly on the move..............

Bittersteel
06-28-2005, 06:09 PM
good point root.

There are mention of earthquakes in the Quran.

Qur'an 10/61: Earth Crust Movement "When you look at the mountains, you think that they are standing still. But they are moving, like the clouds.

Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl

In Surah An-Naml, 27:61, what has been translated as a "fixed abode should be translated as a "stable resting place," as denoted by the Arabic term qarar, in this case for the innumerable inhabitants of the earth. As far as life on earth is concerned, the earth is "fixed" and "stable" enough that life can exist, evolve, flourish, perish, and regenerate on it. The verse goes on to discuss the mountains and the oceans and, therefore, does not seem to warrant a reading from an astronomical perspective at all.

The "fixed" aspect of the earth is the solid crust of the earth.
I think in Surah Al-Naml 27:61 it means that the Earth is a stable resting palce so we can build structures on it and livea and also explains the solidness of the earth.I hope someone explains it better.

root
06-28-2005, 06:52 PM
and the sun also moves in on a fixed path.
It orbits the super massive black hole at the centre of our galaxy, so the sun orbits our galaxy both horizontally with a verticle wobble..

Bittersteel
06-28-2005, 07:00 PM
I think the "fixed path" meant the orbit.

root
06-28-2005, 07:11 PM
I
think the "fixed path" meant the orbit.
I agree........... Just making the poster aware that the sun does not move flat around the galaxy, that it moves up & down as it orbits the galaxy........

Bittersteel
06-28-2005, 07:19 PM
I think he meant it to be the orbit too, the sun's orbit .

"It is He Who created the Night and the Day, and the sun and the moon: all (the celestial bodies) swim along, each in its rounded course. (The Noble Quran, 21:33)"

anyways....

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-29-2005, 03:29 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by root
Our firm foudations are constantly on the move..............
Continental drift does not negate the firm aspedt of the crust.

Just making the poster aware that the sun does not move flat around the galaxy, that it moves up & down as it orbits the galaxy........
I never intended to imply that it was moving flat across the galaxy, as the wobble effect is common to all planetary systems.

root
06-29-2005, 11:22 AM
I never intended to imply that it was moving flat across the galaxy, as the wobble effect is common to all planetary systems.
I know you didn't. & I am not talking the "wobble" effect.....

Preacher
07-16-2005, 08:43 PM

Zulqarnain and place of Sunrise and Sunset!

Preacher

Ummu Amatullah
07-18-2005, 01:58 AM
asallama alaikum
what a coincidence just this morning a sister asked this very question to an Imam of the mosque. His answer was no, the earth does't revolve around the sun.
The Quran refers to this by saying: "It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor does the night outstrip the day.They all float, each in an perfect orbit" (V.36:40)asallama alaikum Allah knows best

Bittersteel
07-20-2005, 10:02 AM
what a coincidence just this morning a sister asked this very question to an Imam of the mosque. His answer was no, the earth does't revolve around the sun.
The Earth revolves around the sun and Islam agrees with it.That Imam should be corrected.

acef_is
06-21-2006, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emir Aziz

I recently found these:

QARARA
Fixed, firm, a resting place.

Other then floating in an orbit, the earth is also rotating. So...

Question
Speed of the turning of the Earth.

Basic Answer
The circumference of the Earth at the equator is 25,000 miles. The Earth rotates in about 24 hours. Therefore, if you were to hang above the surface of the Earth at the equator without moving, you would see 25,000 miles pass by in 24 hours, at a speed of 25000/24 or just over 1000 miles per hour.

Multiply by cosine of your latitude to see how fast the Earth is rotating where you are.

Earth is also moving around the Sun at about 67,000 miles per hour.

Now, if we place some stones on a wheel and spin it on high speed. What happens....hmmm

So Allah SWT, after describing us His majesty, is telling us to believe in his Oneness(Wa'hid) & dont be from the ignorant/unbelievers

Or, Who made the earth a resting place, and made in it rivers, and raised on it mountains and placed between the two seas a barrier. Is there a god with Allah? Nay! most of them do not know! (27:61)

Malaikah
06-21-2006, 02:04 PM

Islam is a religion, not a science. The issue of whether the earth revolves around the sun or whatever is a scientific question and one shouldnt expect Islam to have an answer to this. Just like Islam doesnt tell us the exact number stars in the galaxy, or the number of chemical elements etc...

The Quran refers to this by saying: "It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor does the night outstrip the day.They all float, each in an perfect orbit" (V.36:40)asallama alaikum Allah knows best
I dont see how this implys that the sun orbits around the earth.

Mawaddah
06-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Actually the Scholars who claim that it is the sun who revolves around the earth also have another hadeeth which they use as a daleel and it is the hadeeth in which Rasulullah asked his Sahaabah "Do you know where the sun goes everytime it sets?" So they said "Allah and his messenger knows best" So he said "It goes and prostrates at the Throne of Allah until one day it will be asked to rise from the West and that will be when a souls Tawbah will no longer benefit him"

Wallahu A;lam

Ansar Al-'Adl
06-21-2006, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Actually the Scholars who claim that it is the sun who revolves around the earth also have another hadeeth which they use as a daleel and it is the hadeeth in which Rasulullah asked his Sahaabah "Do you know where the sun goes everytime it sets?" So they said "Allah and his messenger knows best" So he said "It goes and prostrates at the Throne of Allah until one day it will be asked to rise from the West and that will be when a souls Tawbah will no longer benefit him"

Wallahu A;lam
This was answered in this thread:
http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...des-rises.html

corner
02-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Indeed, as ansar Al-'Adl said, the claim that the earth is stationary in this verse is laughable, let us see how Ancient Scholars interpreted this, even though they actually did believe that the earth is stationary:

"Or He Who made the earth an abode [of stability], that does not [constantly] shake beneath [the feet of] its inhabitants,..." (Tafseer Al-Jalalayn)
The word "Ard" got 2 meanings, one is EARTH, another meaning is GROUND, so Allah made the ground from shaking to stable!
This is obvious since Al-Jalalayn said "Shake beneath the feet of.." = Ground!

"and set firm mountains for it, with which He fixed the earth [in place],"
The mountains do indeed stabilize the ground (Ard):
http://www.elnaggarzr.com/en/main.php?id=54

The exact same verse contains another miracle:
"and hath set a barrier between the two seas"

This is indeed proven, there is a unseen barrier between salty and sweet water!

Imam Tabari states:

ÇáøóÐöí ÌóÚóáó ÇáúÃóÑúÖ áóßõãú ÞóÑóÇÑðÇ ÊóÓúÊóÞöÑøõæäó ÚóáóíúåóÇ áóÇ ÊóãöíÏ Èößõãú

The one who made the earth stable for you in order that you may settle on it and that it doesn't wiggle or shake with you. (Ibn Jarir al-Tabari, Jami' al-bayan fi ta'wil al-Qur'an, Commentary on Surah 27:61, Source: http://quran.al-islam.com/Tafseer/Di...ora=27&nAya=61)

It does not mean that the earth is literally still and does not move. It is staying that it is stable so that it won't shake with you. See how in Surah 31:10 Allah said that the purpose of the mountains is to stabilize the Earth so that it won't shake with us. Similarly, Allah is trying to communicate the same thing in this verse when He tells us that the Earth is stable.

Also, Surah 35:41 can be interpreted in different ways.

The Arabic word tazoola could also mean "vanish". Hence Tafsir Jalalayn states:

Truly God sustains the heavens and the earth lest they disappear, in other words, He prevents them from disappearing. And if (wa-la-in: the lām is for oaths) they were to disappear there is none that can sustain them after Him, in other words, other than Him. Truly He is ever Forbearing, Forgiving, in deferring the punishment of the disbelievers. (Jalal ud-Din Siyuti, Tafsir al-Jalalayn, Commentary on Surah 35:41, Source: http://www.altafsir.com/Tafasir.asp?...&UserProfile=0)

Ibn Abbass takes the view that it is talking about the Earth not moving from its actual place:

(Lo! Allah graspeth) holds (the heavens and the earth that they deviate not) so that they do not move from their actual place because of the enormity of the claim of the Jews and Christians when they maintained that Ezra and Jesus were the sons of Allah, (and if they were to deviate) and if they were to move from their actual place (there is not one that could grasp them after Him. Lo! He is ever Clement) despite the claim of the Jews and Christians, (Forgiving) He forgives whoever repents of them. (Ibn Abbaas, Tanwîr al-Miqbâs min Tafsîr Ibn 'Abbâs, Commentary on Surah 35:41, Source)

However, we see that when the verse states that it stops the Heavens and the Earth from moving it does not mean that it is literally staying still (i.e. Earth not orbiting and Heavens remaining still), it is only saying that they will not move out of their places. See also Tafseer Al Jaza'iri. So just because I say that I will not move something out of its place that does not necessarily imply that it is actually still. For instance, it makes perfect sense for me to say that the fan on the ceiling stays in its place while it is twirling. So me saying that it stays in its place does not necessarily imply that it is staying still. Rather, it means that it is not moving out of its usual or ordinary location. Similarly, Allah is saying in the verse that the Earth and Heavens are in their proper order/place/function etc. and it is God that ensures that they remain that way.

As for the Sun setting in a sea, this is what Dhul-Qarnain saw, should Allah say:

"And when he reached the place (That seemed as it is a place of sun set, but it isnt) he..." ?????

Who in the world would understand this 1400 years back? Qur'an is not a science book, Allah just said what Dhul-Qarnain saw, he was not explaining cosmology, the earliest commentators agreed that this is merely according to the eye and not in reality, should we not care about these ancient scholars? Even though they believed that the sun orbits the earth, they said "No, this is according to the eyesight" to explain that the sun doesnt set in a muddy sea!

Ibn abbas stated:

Ibn Mas`ud and Ibn `Abbas, may Allah be pleased with them, recited this Ayah as: (وَالشَّمْسُ تَجْرِي لَامُسْتَقَرَّ لَهَا) (And the sun runs with no fixed course for a term,) meaning that it has no destination and it does not settle in one place, rather it keeps moving night and day, never slowing down or stopping, as in the Ayah:

﴿وَسَخَّر لَكُمُ الشَّمْسَ وَالْقَمَرَ دَآئِبَينَ

(And He has made the sun and the moon, both constantly pursuing their courses, to be of service to you) (14:33). which means, they will never slow down or stop, until the Day of Resurrection.

May Allah (swt) guide us and bless us All (Muslims)!

Ameeen!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.