/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Female Imam?

khoshtip_uk
11-19-2006, 05:38 AM
can a women be imam in islam? if not why, particular reason?if they cant be imam what other religous title they can have or be?
what about other religoin christian/jews?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
11-19-2006, 05:39 AM
maybe good idea if u plug this in the bro/sis section lol..... but basically... if there was a female Imam... can you imagine what people's minds would be thinking about :uuh:

Considering the quran has a nice melody to it, a sis reciting it or athan would be mroe fitnah to men than good.

hope u get my line of thought...
tc
salamz

Malaikah
11-19-2006, 05:44 AM
:sl:

Can you define imam also? lol cos theres like a billion words that people just use interchangable n it confuses the heck out me:rollseyes

lolwatever
11-19-2006, 05:52 AM
lol i take it he's referrin to prayer imam?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
khoshtip_uk
11-19-2006, 05:53 AM
i mean female imam for female prayer at least,

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-19-2006, 05:59 AM
Hi,
If by 'imam' you are referring to any religious scholar, than Islamic history has always had numerous women scholars beginning with the illustrious female companions in the time of the Prophet saws, may Allah be pleased with them all.
Question: Were there any women scholars (apart from the Companions) amongst the salaf and the later generations? If there were, could you please name some of them?

Answered by the Fatwa Department Research Committee - chaired by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî

If we look into the biographical works written about the scholars, such as al-Dhahabî’s encyclopedic Siyar A`lâm al-Nubalâ’, we find the biographies of many women mentioned for every era of Islamic history.

We will mention just a few of the notable scholars from various eras:

Mu`âdhah al-`Adawiyyah (d. 83 AH). One of the scholars and reliable narrators from the generation of the Successors (the students of the Companions). She related from `Alî b. Abî Tâlib, `Â’ishah, and Hishâm b. `Âmir.

`Amrah bint `Abd al-Rahman b. Sa`d al-Ansârîyyah (d. 98 AH). She was a Successor and one of the prominent students of `Â’ishah. She also learned from the Companions Umm Salamah and Râfi` b Khadîj. She was one of the important legal scholars of Madinah from the generation of the Successors.

Hafsah bint Sîrîn al-Ansâriyyah (died after 100 AH). She was a student of Umm `Atiyyah, Anas b. Mâlik, and other Companions. She was also one of the legal scholars from the generation of the Successors. Qatâdah was among her students.

Amah al-Wâhid bint al-Mahâmilî (d. 377 AH). She was a noted jurist of the Shâfî’î school of law and a muftî in Baghdad.

Karîmah bint Ahmad al-Marwaziyyah (d. 463 AH). She was one of the most important narrators of Sahîh al-Bukhârî and had many prominent students, including al-Khatîb al-Baghdâdî.

Zaynab bint `Abd al-Rahmân b. al-Hasan b. Ahmad b. Sahl al-Jurjâniyyâh (d. 615 AH). She was a prominent scholar of Khorasan. She was one of the students of the famous language scholar al-Zamakhsharî from whom she received an academic degree.

Yâsamîn bint Sâlim al-Harîmiyyah (d. 634 AH). She was a scholar of hadîth. Ibn Bulbân was one of her most prominent students.

Zaynab bint Makkî b. `Alî b. Kâmil al-Harrâniyyah (d. 688 AH). She was a prominent scholar from Damascus and a teacher of Ibn Taymiyah, the famous hadîth scholar al-Mizzî (the author of Tahdhîb al-Kamâl), and many others.

Zaynab bint `Umar b. Kindî b. Sa`îd al-Dimashqiyyah (d. 699 AH). She was also one of the teachers of the famous hadîth scholar al-Mizzî.

Khadîjah bint `Abd al-Rahmân al-Maqdisiyyah (d.701). She was a scholar and writer, a student of Ibn al-Zabîdî and others. She was also one of the teachers of the famous hadîth scholar al-Mizzî.

Zaynab bint Sulaymân b. Ibrâhîm b. Rahmah al-As`ardî (d. 705 AH). She was one of al-Subkî’s and al-Dhahabî’s teachers. She had heard al-Sahîh from Ibn al-Zabîdî.

Fâtimah bint Ibrâhim al-Ba`lî (d. 711 AH). She was also a student of Ibn al-Zabîdî and a teacher of Ibn al-Subkî and many others.

Fâtimah bint `Abbâs b. Abî al-Fath al-Hanbaliyyah (d. 714 AH). She was a prominent Hanbalî legal scholar and muftî, first in Damascus and then in Cairo.
If you are referring to imams of the congregational prayers, then it is impermissable for women to lead any congregation with men since everyone's mind must be devoted to the worship of God in the segregated congregation. The following article, entitled A Woman's Reflection on Leading Prayer was written by Sister Yasmin Mogahed 25/03/05:
"Given my privilege as a woman, I only degrade myself by trying to be something I'm not--and in all honesty--don't want to be: a man. As women, we will never reach true liberation until we stop trying to mimic men, and value the beauty in our own God-given distinctiveness."

On March 18, 2005 Amina Wadud led the first female-led Jumuah (Friday) prayer. On that day women took a huge step towards being more like men. But, did we come closer to actualizing our God-given liberation? I don't think so.
What we so often forget is that God has honored the woman by giving her value in relation to God-not in relation to men. But as western feminism erases God from the scene, there is no standard left-but men. As a result the western feminist is forced to find her value in relation to a man. And in so doing she has accepted a faulty assumption. She has accepted that man is the standard, and thus a woman can never be a full human being until she becomes just like a man-the standard.
When a man cut his hair short, she wanted to cut her hair short. When a man joined the army, she wanted to join the army. She wanted these things for no other reason than because the " standard " had it.
What she didn't recognize was that God dignifies both men and women in their distinctiveness--not their sameness. And on March 18, Muslim women made the very same mistake.
For 1400 years there has been a consensus of the scholars that men are to lead prayer. As a Muslim woman, why does this matter? The one who leads prayer is not spiritually superior in any way. Something is not better just because a man does it. And leading prayer is not better, just because it's leading. Had it been the role of women or had it been more divine, why wouldn't the Prophet have asked Ayesha or Khadija, or Fatima-the greatest women of all time-to lead? These women were promised heaven-and yet they never lead prayer.
But now for the first time in 1400 years, we look at a man leading prayer and we think, " That's not fair." We think so although God has given no special privilege to the one who leads. The imam is no higher in the eyes of God than the one who prays behind.
On the other hand, only a woman can be a mother. And God has given special privilege to a mother. The Prophet taught us that heaven lies at the feet of mothers. But no matter what a man does he can never be a mother. So why is that not unfair?
When asked who is most deserving of our kind treatment? The Prophet replied 'your mother' three times before saying 'your father' only once. Isn't that sexist? No matter what a man does he will never be able to have the status of a mother.
And yet even when God honors us with something uniquely feminine, we are too busy trying to find our worth in reference to men, to value it-or even notice. We too have accepted men as the standard; so anything uniquely feminine is, by definition, inferior. Being sensitive is an insult, becoming a mother-a degradation. In the battle between stoic rationality (considered masculine) and self-less compassion (considered feminine), rationality reigns supreme.
As soon as we accept that everything a man has and does is better, all that follows is just a knee jerk reaction: if men have it-we want it too. If men pray in the front rows, we assume this is better, so we want to pray in the front rows too. If men lead prayer, we assume the imam is closer to God, so we want to lead prayer too. Somewhere along the line we've accepted the notion that having a position of worldly leadership is some indication of one's position with God.
A Muslim woman does not need to degrade herself in this way. She has God as a standard. She has God to give her value; she doesn't need a man.
In fact, in our crusade to follow men, we, as women, never even stopped to examine the possibility that what we have is better for us. In some cases we even gave up what was higher only to be like men.
Fifty years ago, society told us that men were superior because they left the home to work in factories. We were mothers. And yet, we were told that it was women's liberation to abandon the raising of another human being in order to work on a machine. We accepted that working in a factory was superior to raising the foundation of society-just because a man did it. Then after working, we were expected to be superhuman-the perfect mother, the perfect wife, the perfect homemaker-and have the perfect career. And while there is nothing wrong, by definition, with a woman having a career, we soon came to realize what we had sacrificed by blindly mimicking men. We watched as our children became strangers and soon recognized the privilege we'd given up.
And so only now-given the choice-women in the West are choosing to stay home to raise their children. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, only 31 percent of mothers with babies, and 18 percent of mothers with two or more children, are working full-time. And of those working mothers, a survey conducted by Parenting Magazine in 2000, found that 93% of them say they would rather be home with their kids, but are compelled to work due to 'financial obligations'. These 'obligations' are imposed on women by the gender sameness of the modern West, and removed from women by the gender distinctiveness of Islam.
It took women in the West almost a century of experimentation to realize a privilege given to Muslim women 1400 years ago.
Given my privilege as a woman, I only degrade myself by trying to be something I'm not--and in all honesty--don't want to be: a man. As women, we will never reach true liberation until we stop trying to mimic men, and value the beauty in our own God-given distinctiveness.
If given a choice between stoic justice and compassion, I choose compassion. And if given a choice between worldly leadership and heaven at my feet-I choose heaven.
From an Islamic perspective, the evidence for the impermissibility of women leading men in congregational prayer is established here:
http://www.bakkah.net/articles/musli...g-prayers1.htm

Regards

khoshtip_uk
11-19-2006, 06:03 AM
im talking about women imam prayer for women prayers only.

chris4336
11-19-2006, 06:11 AM
I've seen that essay before and really liked it, thanks.

I thought that women could lead prayer of other women? Is this true?

Muslim Thinker
11-19-2006, 06:15 AM
Great question. Great answers.

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-19-2006, 06:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by khoshtip_uk
im talking about women imam prayer for women prayers only.
Yes of course, a woman can lead other women in congregational prayers. There are many Ahâdîth (narrations) containing such examples, some of which I believe are quoted in the last link referred to in my previous post.

Peace.

khoshtip_uk
11-19-2006, 04:01 PM
thanks very much,

جوري
08-02-2007, 12:35 AM
what a great thread this is.. just wanted it to float back to the top.. I find the search option doesn't work so well for me when I try looking some things up.. can someone give me a clue how I can do it effectively? I find most of these posts by mere chance... which is a shame!
:w:

Muslim Woman
08-02-2007, 12:53 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
. I find the search option doesn't work so well for me
:w:
same here . May be u can try Advance search

Haidar_Abbas
08-08-2007, 06:09 PM
:sl: alhamdulillah, well put akhee Ansar barakAllahu feek akhee :sl:

Sarada
08-11-2007, 11:55 AM
If it s unseemly for a woman to lead prayers where there are men,even when dressed in appropriate modesty, is it then alright for a man to lead prayers where there are women, and why?

Muhammad
08-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Greetings Sarada and welcome to the forum,

Thank you for your interest in Islam.

format_quote Originally Posted by Sarada
If it s unseemly for a woman to lead prayers where there are men,even when dressed in appropriate modesty, is it then alright for a man to lead prayers where there are women, and why?
We first need to understand that Islam is the religion of justice, where those who are equal are treated equally and differentiation is made between those who are different. So Islam does not regard men and women as equal in matters where regarding them as equal would result in injustice to one of them, because equality that is inappropriate is a severe form of injustice.

Allaah has singled out men for some virtues and rulings, and He has singled out women for other virtues and rulings. It is not permissible for any man to wish for that which has been granted to women only, nor is it permissible for any woman to wish for that which has been granted to men. This kind of wishing is tantamount to objecting to the laws and rulings of Allaah.

One of the things for which Allaah has singled out men is the position of leadership, such as leading prayers. This is why it is impermissible for a woman to lead men in prayer. There are many verses from the holy Qur'an and narrations from the Prophet (peace be upon him) which provide Islamic evidence and further explanation of this ruling.

Peace.

Sarada
08-13-2007, 03:34 AM
Salaam Muhammad,

Thank-you for answering my question.

All the Best,

Sarada

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.