/* */

View Full Version : Applying zuhud?

syilla
11-24-2006, 01:18 AM
WHAT DOES AZ-ZUHD MEAN

Az-Zuhd is, "The opposite of being eager and concerned about the Dunya (the life of this world)."

Further, ibn Al-Qayyim said,

"Az-Zuhd, in the Arabic language, the language of Islam, entails abandoning a matter while despising it and while belittling its significance, so that one will exchange it for what is more significant."

The Muslim ancestors who set good examples in the application of Islam have various opinions with regards to the meaning of Az-Zuhd. Ibn Al-Qayyim for example said,

"I heard Shaikh Al-Islam ibn Taymiyyah say, "Az-Zuhd entails abandoning what does not bring about benefit in the Hereafter. Al-Wara' (abandoning a part of the permissible for fear of falling into the impermissible) entails abandoning what you fear its consequences in the Hereafter." "

Then, ibn Al-Qayyim commented, "This statement is one of the best and most comprehensive definitions of Az-Zuhd and Al-Wara'."

In addition, Sufyan Ath-Thawry said,

"Az-Zuhd in this Dunya entails having a short hope (or avoiding having hopes that one will live long), not by wearing the thick clothes or wearing the garment (as some people who observe fake Zuhd think is a part of Az-Zuhd)."

Imam Az-Zuhry also said that Az-Zuhd, "Entails avoiding thanking Allah (swt) only for the Halal, and avoiding being patient only with the Haram."

:sl:

i just want to know when to apply zuhud?

what do you think of a business man that used a mercedes to go to masjid?

thank you for your reply.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
11-24-2006, 01:21 AM
salams sis, i guess as long as he's fulfilling his obligations to Muslims and everyone financial wise.. there's nothing wrong with being well off.

But to be extravagent is somethign diff, nothing wrong with a new car, but there is somethign wrong with a $100K car :uuh: coz das just xtravagance. especially in a time wehre dere's so many ppl DESPERATE for money..

and i mean it with all honsety, desperate just imagine someone who hasnt eaten for weeks sittin right next to you and you decide to buy a 100K merc :offended:

salamz

syilla
11-24-2006, 01:25 AM

i guess it is too subjective to when and where to apply zuhud.

but i agree with you.

it just that i think a mercedes can be quite extravagant...there are many other comfortable cars...hehehe

YusufNoor
11-24-2006, 01:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla

i just want to know when to apply zuhud?

what do you think of a business man that used a mercedes to go to masjid?

thank you for your reply.

it's a trick question, really. ALL you should see, is a brother arriving at the Masaajid! PERIOD! THAT'S ALL!!

who am i to judge whether a brother can afford a nice car? MAYBE, the brother makes a million a year and gives HALF to the poor and the masaajid! actually who am i to judge is all that needed be said... (Allah (SWT) has not abrogated His job to me!)

am i so perfect, that now i have the time to worry about the din or Iman of others? or do i really have that much time?

sorry to be blunt, but there was a limited amount of info. therefore, anything else by me would be speculation!

if you're gonna judge the car, next, it'll be the shoes, the clothes, etc...

May Allah (SWT) keep us all from making hasty judgements about each other, and may He help us all to keep our focus in all the right places!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
11-24-2006, 01:47 AM
^^^actually i'm not trying to judge the person who goes to masjid hehe...sorry for the misunderstanding...;D (i'm bad in writing essay...or building sentences)

i'm talking about a taqwa business man... (as you know, a businessman has to show some wealth....to keep their business going)...so i just want to know....where exactly to apply zuhud.

lolwatever
11-24-2006, 04:30 AM
lol if i c a Muslim drivin a merc i'll just assume its a company car :p n ask allah to bless his money n make him put it 2good use...

i was referrin 2 us as individuals wat we should/shoudlnt do with our money.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-24-2006, 04:53 AM
I guess i need to sell my Nissan Maxima...=\ lol

Malaikah
11-24-2006, 06:44 AM

I dont really understand, what is zuhud? :?

lolwatever
11-24-2006, 06:55 AM
^ zuhud KINDA means not being too attached to this world... in teh sense that you're not running after more than what you need to live.

some sects go to extremes and think it means abandoning this world 100% and imposing poverty on urself... which isn't exactly correct.

salams

IbnAbdulHakim
11-24-2006, 11:23 AM
:salamext:

so what i got from this is az-zuhd and al-wara' are basically the same, abandonning and belittling that which is permissible out of fear of falling into the impermissable out of fear of Allah swt.

:wasalamex

ps: was sufyan at-thawri the sheikh from the time of imam abu hanifah (may Allah have mercy on him)?

lolwatever
11-24-2006, 11:26 AM
wara'3 is fear of allah... zuhd is the characteristic of not running after dunya.

:)

salamz

IbnAbdulHakim
11-24-2006, 11:27 AM

I understand, jazakAllah khair you mini sheikh you (cudnt resist)

lolwatever
11-24-2006, 11:29 AM
im not a mini shaykh! :p

i thought u agreed i was a mini lolly

IbnAbdulHakim
11-24-2006, 11:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
i thought u agreed i was a mini lolly

i agree to a lot of things !

mashaAllah you got a lot of knowledge.

Angelzz
11-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question - but if theory then a practising muslim should always be applying Zuhud then? Am i right?

IbnAbdulHakim
11-24-2006, 11:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Angelzz
Forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question - but if theory then a practising muslim should always be applying Zuhud then? Am i right?

if asking questions is dumb then consider me to have the lowest intelligence.

sister yes i think every practising muslim should strive to apply al-zuhd.

Angelzz
11-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks Brother :o)

Just wanted to clarify in my mind - and may Allah bless u

YusufNoor
11-25-2006, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
^^^actually i'm not trying to judge the person who goes to masjid hehe...sorry for the misunderstanding...;D (i'm bad in writing essay...or building sentences)

i'm talking about a taqwa business man... (as you know, a businessman has to show some wealth....to keep their business going)...so i just want to know....where exactly to apply zuhud.

Assalaum Alaykum Syilla,

i guess you missed my point AND i misunderstood you question. my answer still applies, though.

if the question is "what will the ummah think of ME (meaning you), if i show up in a benz", then:

it matters what you think of yourself! to keep your business going you should simply be the best Muslim business man you can be. let your character and your practices speak for themselves. i doubt there's a boardroom anywhere where your car will be visible.

as far as zuhud, Islam is a religion that allows us to live in the dunya. you are entitled the own the car that you think is best, especially if Allah Subahanoo Wa Ta'Allah has made you successful. if you think it's a benz, buy one. DO NOT buy 2 or 3!

do some research on cars and make a decision based on practicality, performance and matinenance.

if you want a "show car", i can't help you as i don't know what that is...

a good rule of thumb, though: if you "think" something is extravagent, it probably is!

lolwatever
11-25-2006, 12:40 PM
^ lol u kno wats funny bro... the prophet told us that when we're the best biz ppl and focus on that that's when disaster comes :offended:

im not sayin u shouldnt b good biz person... but dont get too hungup on it insh.

FBI
11-25-2006, 12:47 PM

Basicly, everything we earn is a loan from allah, there's a hadith which says something to the extent that poor will enter janna 500 years before the rich(forgot the exact text sorry), this is beacuse of the extravegent and wasteful lifestyle of being rich brings upon a person.

lolwatever
11-25-2006, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FBI

Basicly, everything we earn is a loan from allah, there's a hadith which says something to the extent that poor will enter janna 500 years before the rich(forgot the exact text sorry), this is beacuse of the extravegent and wasteful lifestyle of being rich brings upon a person.
yep tru, mashalah the FBI has islamic representativs :okay:

syilla
11-25-2006, 01:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FBI

you're right...sometimes we forget that. and is hard to find the quality of zuhud nowadays.

and sometimes there are 'fake' zuhud....which we have to be careful.

YusufNoor
11-25-2006, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
^ lol u kno wats funny bro... the prophet told us that when we're the best biz ppl and focus on that that's when disaster comes :offended:

im not sayin u shouldnt b good biz person... but dont get too hungup on it insh.

ASalaamu Alaykum,

i wasn't try to be funny...:embarrass

merely pointing out in THAT case you should be the best Muslim businessman you can be. BUT you should also apply that for every situation, be the best Muslim brother/sister, fathermother, husband/wife, employer/employee, etc...;)

Wasalaam,

Nuha38318
12-10-2010, 04:03 AM
I was reading this Quote yesterday, and didn't understand it, because I didn't know what Zuhd is, now I understand - jazakhAllah kheir for the great explanations!

Ikhlaas cannot be achieved except after having Zuhud, and there is no Zuhud except after having Taqwa, and Taqwa is following the commands (of Allaah and His Messenger) and keeping away from prohibitions. (Ibn Taymeeyah – 'al-Fatawa' 1/94)

أبو سليمان عمر
12-10-2010, 07:50 AM
zuhd should be always in our life we need to understand what it means insha Allah this will help

"I heard Shaikh Al-Islam ibn Taymiyyah say, 'Az-Zuhd entails abandoning what does not bring about benefit in the Hereafter. Al-Wara' (abandoning a part of the permissible for fear of falling into the impermissible) entails abandoning what you fear its consequences in the Hereafter.'" Then, ibn Al-Qayyim commented,

"This statement is one of the best and most comprehensive definitions of Az-Zuhd and Al-Wara'." In addition, Sufyan Ath-Thawry said,

"Az-Zuhd in this Dunya entails having a short hope (or avoiding having hopes that one will live long), not by wearing the thick clothes or wearing the garment (as some people who observe fake Zuhd think is a part of Az-Zuhd)."

this is part but pls read the attachment to fully understand what zuhd is and insha Allah it will answer the question the perosn who started the thread asked

Attachment 4203

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.