/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The killing of non-Muslim "civilians" (noncombatants)

a brother
11-28-2006, 05:11 AM
As salaamu alaikum:

Can anyone please provide proofs and evidences of the permissibility of the killing of non-Muslim "civilians" (noncombatants)? It seems that many of our brothers and sisters are saying that they want more 9-11s, more London subway bombings, more Madrids, etc., talking about how "magnificent," or "excellent" these operations were.

At the same time, I believe, they are showing hypocrisy, as many of these same people are currently residing in these kafir countries (the UK for example), living amongst these non-Muslims, saying that they want to blowup these people, etc.

Anyway, can someone please provide proof that these "operations" are halaal or permissible, and not haraam, wrong, and Islamically unethical?

JazakAllahu khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
josein
11-28-2006, 05:17 AM
Killing people is haram, That is sick of what is happening in this world. Muslims don't like violence.

Woodrow
11-28-2006, 05:26 AM
There are many threads in the "World Affairs" section dealing with those very issues. A quick search through the section and I am certain you will find considerable Qur'anic reasonings as to why those acts are forbidden. At the moment, my Qur'an is not within reach and I can not think of the specific ayyats that pertain to this issue.

A good choice to find them tho is to click find any post by Brother Ansar Al-'Adil then look for the links on his posts, they will direct you to answers about nearly every question.

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-28-2006, 06:46 AM
Islam prohibits the killing of women and children.

Narrated Ibn 'Umar: A woman was found killed in one of these battles, so the Messenger of God forbade the killing of women and children. (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)

Ibn `Abbas says: The Messenger of Allah, when dispatching his troops, would tell them, " ..Do not behave treacherously, nor misappropriate war-booty, nor mutilate [those whom you kill], nor kill children, nor the people in cloisters." (Musnad Ahmad, Sunan At-Tirmidhî)

Another narration records that he said, "…Do not kill a woman, nor a child, nor an old-aged man’ (Sharh as-Sunnah Al-Baghawî)

Narrated Anas ibn Malik: The Prophet said: Go in Allah's name, trusting in Allah, and adhering to the religion of Allah's Apostle. Do not kill a decrepit old man, a young infant, or a child, or a woman; do not be dishonest about booty, but collect your spoils, do right and act well, for Allah loves those who do well. (Sunan Abî Dawûd)

And again, "Do not kill a child, nor a woman, nor an old man, nor obliterate a stream, nor cut a tree…" (Sunan Al-Bayhaqî)

The strict conditions that Islam has laid out in the event of warfare are referred to in the verse:
2:190 Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loveth not transgressors.
The companions of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) continued to abide by these conditions in all the military campaigns they undertook after his death. The first caliph, Abu Bakr, advised his military commander:
"I advise you ten things: Do not kill women or children or an aged, infirm person. Do not cut down fruit-bearing trees. Do not destroy an inhabited place. Do not slaughter sheep or camels except for food. Do not burn bees and do not scatter them. Do not steal from the booty, and do not be cowardly."
(Muwatta Mâlik)
The Prophet Muhammad also forbade the killing of anyone with whom the Muslims have peace agreements:
"The one who kills a covenanter will never smell the scent of heaven and its scent is found at the distance of forty years." (Sahîh Bukhârî)
In short, Islam in no way permits the killing of noncombatants or indiscriminate violence against any population.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mohsin
11-28-2006, 11:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by a brother
As salaamu alaikum:

Can anyone please provide proofs and evidences of the permissibility of the killing of non-Muslim "civilians" (noncombatants)? It seems that many of our brothers and sisters are saying that they want more 9-11s, more London subway bombings, more Madrids, etc., talking about how "magnificent," or "excellent" these operations were.

At the same time, I believe, they are showing hypocrisy, as many of these same people are currently residing in these kafir countries (the UK for example), living amongst these non-Muslims, saying that they want to blowup these people, etc.

Anyway, can someone please provide proof that these "operations" are halaal or permissible, and not haraam, wrong, and Islamically unethical?

JazakAllahu khair
:sl:

As the above post clearly highlights, there is no evidence from islamic soucres that such acts are permissable. However, haven spoen to some people of the group formerly knows as Al-Muhajjiroun, they see it as the poeple in this country are guilty as they voted peope such as blair and bush into power.

Illogical conclusion I know, especially as not every single person would have voted for blair, and so many people were against the war

a brother
11-29-2006, 02:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by josein
Killing people is haram, That is sick of what is happening in this world. Muslims don't like violence.
Salaam:

Yes, killing innocents is definitely very haraam and sick indeed. But obviously there are many brothers (or another way to look at it I guess to keep it in perspective, insha'Allah, a very small amount of extremist thinking brothers) out there that think they are doing what is right. What can we all do? (more of a rhetorical question)

a brother
11-29-2006, 02:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
There are many threads in the "World Affairs" section dealing with those very issues. A quick search through the section and I am certain you will find considerable Qur'anic reasonings as to why those acts are forbidden. At the moment, my Qur'an is not within reach and I can not think of the specific ayyats that pertain to this issue.

A good choice to find them tho is to click find any post by Brother Ansar Al-'Adil then look for the links on his posts, they will direct you to answers about nearly every question.
Salaam brother:

Thanks for your advice. Yes, in the Qur'an it does say not to do these haraam type things (killing innocent civilians), although, some ulema will say there are some "gray" areas. I will check out Brother Ansar Al-'Adil's posts in the future insha'Allah.

abdmez
11-29-2006, 03:26 AM
Killing innocent is completly haraam. There is no question about it. The people who try and justify the actions of evil people have no support of the Quran on their side.

a brother
11-29-2006, 03:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Islam prohibits the killing of women and children.

Narrated Ibn 'Umar: A woman was found killed in one of these battles, so the Messenger of God forbade the killing of women and children. (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)

Ibn `Abbas says: The Messenger of Allah, when dispatching his troops, would tell them, " ..Do not behave treacherously, nor misappropriate war-booty, nor mutilate [those whom you kill], nor kill children, nor the people in cloisters." (Musnad Ahmad, Sunan At-Tirmidhî)

Another narration records that he said, "…Do not kill a woman, nor a child, nor an old-aged man’ (Sharh as-Sunnah Al-Baghawî)

Narrated Anas ibn Malik: The Prophet said: Go in Allah's name, trusting in Allah, and adhering to the religion of Allah's Apostle. Do not kill a decrepit old man, a young infant, or a child, or a woman; do not be dishonest about booty, but collect your spoils, do right and act well, for Allah loves those who do well. (Sunan Abî Dawûd)

And again, "Do not kill a child, nor a woman, nor an old man, nor obliterate a stream, nor cut a tree…" (Sunan Al-Bayhaqî)

The strict conditions that Islam has laid out in the event of warfare are referred to in the verse:
2:190 Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loveth not transgressors.
The companions of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) continued to abide by these conditions in all the military campaigns they undertook after his death. The first caliph, Abu Bakr, advised his military commander:
"I advise you ten things: Do not kill women or children or an aged, infirm person. Do not cut down fruit-bearing trees. Do not destroy an inhabited place. Do not slaughter sheep or camels except for food. Do not burn bees and do not scatter them. Do not steal from the booty, and do not be cowardly."
(Muwatta Mâlik)
The Prophet Muhammad also forbade the killing of anyone with whom the Muslims have peace agreements:
"The one who kills a covenanter will never smell the scent of heaven and its scent is found at the distance of forty years." (Sahîh Bukhârî)
In short, Islam in no way permits the killing of noncombatants or indiscriminate violence against any population.

Salaam brother:

JazakAllahu khair for responding to my post, and especially with all of these ahadith. I really think that brothers that do espouse the type of violence I was talking about, really have to go out of there way to twist and distort the Qur'an and various ahadith in such a way as to rationalize the haraam things they are doing. Allahu 'alim.

Brother, I wanted to get your view on something insha'Allah, sort of related to this. In Surah 2:178 on al-qisaas, Allah (swt) talks about the "the free for the free, the slave for the slave, the woman for the woman" in terms of equality of punishment. My understanding of this, is that if person "A" does a crime against person "B," then person "A" (and not his family, or his tribe or his nation, etc.) will get the punishment for doing what he (or she) did to person B -- that is if the family of person B decides to do that rather then accept the blood money. I have talked to a couple of imams about this ayah, and the imams said that yes, indeed this was the case (that in qisaas, only the perpetrator of the crime would get punished, and no one else, period, end of story). However, I have talked to brothers I would consider pious (but lay-people nonetheless), and they were somewhat confused as to what this ayah meant. In essence, they thought possibly that the "free for the free, the slave for the slave, the woman for the woman" would mean that if person "A" does something to person "B," then if person "B" was a free, a man, a woman, or a slave then that would give the family of person "B" the right to kill a free, a woman, or a slave from the family or tribe or nation of person "A" even though this person chosen to be killed in equality, had absolutely nothing to do with person "A," or his/her crime. Do you follow what I am saying? Sorry if this is confusing in the way I am trying to articulate this. What are your thoughts on this brother?

JazakAllahu Khair

Umar001
11-29-2006, 03:41 PM
Assalamu Aleykum Wa Rhametulah,
I hope all is well, here are some fatawa which you might also be interested in reading.

Question: Some people are declaring the prohibition regarding the killing of civilians during war to be inapplicable to democratic countries. They argue that the policies of those countries are enacted by the governments they themselves choose through their votes. It is not like the days when kings were authorities unto themselves and their actions did not reflect the will of the people. Therefore, in today’s democratic world, it is right to assume that the nation’s policies have the sanction of public at large. Is there any validity to this line of reasoning?

Answered by the Fatwa Department Research Committee - chaired by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî

The argument being advanced by these people is false. This should become obvious to us if we consider the circumstances in which the rulings prohibiting the killing of civilians came about.

These rulings are from the Prophet (peace be upon him) when he was battling the pagans of Mecca and their allies among the pagan tribes of Arabia. The pagans of Mecca were a tight-knit community and their tribal leaders made their decisions together at their tribal councils. They were more like a very large and squabbling family than a burgeoning and impersonal nation. Moreover, the population of Mecca – indeed of all Arabia – was small and the region’s social organization was tribal. The average person in such a society had more personal access to the decision makers and had far greater influential on policy that an individual American or British person today has with respect to his country’s foreign policies which are determined largely by big corporations and powerful lobbies.

Indeed, there was solidarity among the pagan Arabs as to their purposes against the Muslims. During the Battle of Uhud, the women went out to the battlefield, led by Hind, to lend moral support to the soldiers. Before the battle, they sang the following song to inspire their men:

If you go forth, we will embrace you,
And spread out the cushions.
But if you retreat we shall leave you,
And do so without affection.

It has been said by historians that their singing had a maddening affect on their men folk and that this influenced their performance on the battlefield.

In spite of all this, Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) stressed the need to protect the weak and the noncombatants during war and was very considerate of them.

Ibn `Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “I saw the body of a slain woman during one of the battles of the Prophet (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), so he forbade the killing of women and children.” [Sahîh al-Bûkhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

Rabâh b. Rabî` said: “We were with Allah’s Messenger (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) during a battle and we saw people gathered together. He dispatched a man to find out why they were gathered. The man returned and said: ‘They are gathered around a slain woman.’ So Allah’s Messenger (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: ‘She should not have been attacked!’ Khâlid b. al-Walîd was leading the forces, so he dispatched a man to him saying: “Tell Khâlid not to kill women or laborers’.” [Sunan Abî Dâwûd]

It is also related that Allah’s Messenger (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Tell him not kill children or laborers.” [Sunan Ibn Mâjah]

Laborers are not to be attacked deliberately, even if they are present during the battle, as long as their activities are not directly connected with the fighting. Workers who are not present at the battlefield are definitely not to be treated with aggression, regardless of the fact that they are in the enemy country. Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) would say the following words to his troops before sending them to war: “Go forward in the name of Allah. Do not kill an elderly person, nor a small child, nor a woman, and do not exceed the bounds.” [Sunan Abî Dâwûd]

Sheikh Salman al-Oadah comments: “These people today, just like those at the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him) are the ones to whom the message of Islam must be conveyed.”

Also,

Question: I read in history that during one battle, the Prophet (peace be upon him) surrounded the people of al-Tâ’if and employed the catapult to throw stones, fire, and snakes at them. This would have included their women, children, elderly, and disabled people, as he could not see who was was being hit. My question is as follows: Can this be taken as evidence to justify today’s attacks upon women, children and the elderly?

Answered by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî, former professor at al-Imâm University in Riyadh

The catapult is a war machine that is used to demolish walls behind which the enemies fortify themselves. The Prophet (peace be upon him) used it to throw stones at those walls, but he most certainly did not employ snakes or fire.

The intended targets were the fortifications and the enemy combatants who were fighting from their stations upon the fortifications and from directly behind them. In fact, during the battle, the soldiers and archers of al-Tâ’if from their vantage point upon the fortifications, had succeeded in killing or injuring a great number of the Prophet’s Companions. The graves of some of those Companions can be seen in al-Tâ’if up to today.

Ultimately, the Prophet (peace be upon him) gave up the siege and left the city alone. Its inhabitants later accepted Islam.

The targets intended by the catapults were clearly not civilians, women, or children, though there was a remote possibility under those circumstances that some civilians could have been injured unintentionally. This, however, is quite different than intentionally attacking civilian targets, women, and children. Any direct attack against such people is categorically unlawful and had been expressly prohibited by the Prophet (peace be upon him).

Both can be found in the following links, respectivly:

Civilians in warfare when democratic countries are involved

The use of the catapult during the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him)

Mateen
12-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Salam,

Our prophet{saas} did forbid killing women and children,

But today we see many women soldiers in non-muslim countries? What is the ruling about them?

Wassalam.

Ansar Al-'Adl
12-06-2006, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mateen
Salam,

Our prophet{saas} did forbid killing women and children,

But today we see many women soldiers in non-muslim countries? What is the ruling about them?

Wassalam.
There is an exception in the case of those who are soldiers and are actually fighting you

Battle_4_Peace
12-08-2006, 03:00 PM

I am writing a document about this ruling and i agree with the Moderators here. I want to ask all moderators and other brothers and sisters to post as much as they can refuting what this people are claiming. It's all fisabillillah, so please post everythoing you have. May Allah reward you with the best in dunia and akhira! Amien.

Sweetness
02-23-2007, 03:50 AM
Killing people that are civilians is just wrong, people that say that it is ok are just trying to make violence ok when its not.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.