/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Smiles

Nazia_hk
11-30-2006, 06:40 AM
I don't know if this have been brought up before. But I'm concerned about members using smilies/emoticons on this forum, for do they not fall in the category of animate pictures which Allah s.w.t has asked us to abstain from?(Correct me if I'm wrong here)

Surely the site will be equally attractive without these images...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
11-30-2006, 06:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nazia_hk
I don't know if this have been brought up before. But I'm concerned about members using smilies/emoticons on this forum, for do they not fall in the category of animate pictures which Allah s.w.t has asked us to abstain from?(Correct me if I'm wrong here)

Surely the site will be equally attractive without these images...
salams sis.. duno dere's a fatwa i read somewhere here on i-qa abt dem not bein considered as haram drawings... but alahu alam.. ill find n get bak2u...

n look how boring my post is without emo. : (

:w:

Malaikah
11-30-2006, 06:55 AM
:sl:

They smilies are ok because inorder for something to be considered a drawing of an animate object it has to actually resemble that object. Emos dont really look like real people (I've never seen a person with yellow skin, circular head, not hair at all, no nose or ears etc...).

and Allah knows best.

:w:

north_malaysian
11-30-2006, 06:58 AM
The smileys/emiticons represent my 'actual face' it's like a 'video conference'... thus, it's not a haraam drawing... :shade:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
11-30-2006, 09:17 AM
http://www.islamtoday.com/show_detai...&main_cat_id=1

brother Ansar has posted about the rulings...

Nazia_hk
11-30-2006, 04:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
http://www.islamtoday.com/show_detai...&main_cat_id=1

brother Ansar has posted about the rulings...
Thanks for the link sister. But I'm still in doubt as I read a fatwa some time ago, which forbade the use of smilies. Hmm makes it real confusing. Lemme search for the fatwa regaring them being haram though... and then will get back to you guys.

Nazia_hk
11-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Here it is...

http://islam.tc/ask-imam/view.php?q=15922

I myself have stopped using them as there is doubt. Would really appreciate if someone comes up with a clear explanation after having read both fatwas.

BlissfullyJaded
11-30-2006, 08:23 PM
:sl:

This topic has been discussed before. The smilies are not imitating a real creation, because there is no creation (as far as I know) without a nose, ears, hair, that has bright yellow skin.

If you don't feel comfortable using smilies, then I respect that. But I don't really think it can be deemed as haram.. Allahu a'lam.

Umar001
11-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Also, I think there is a difference as to whether even pictures are haram if they are not tangible.

I.e. If they are images which have to be played through a machine to be shown.

I have the following book, I'd recommend you read it, inshaAllah:

north_malaysian
12-01-2006, 01:58 AM
Some Muslims say it's obliged to read "Bismillah" when reciting Al Fatihah in performing prayers, some say it's not obliged. And both are truthful.

Some Muslims say, it's ok to use smileys and some Muslims say it's haraam to use smileys. And both are truthful.

If you believe that the usage of smileys is haraam, so stop using it. If you believe that it's ok, thus, have fun using those smileys.:love:

Umar001
12-01-2006, 02:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Some Muslims say it's obliged to read "Bismillah" when reciting Al Fatihah in performing prayers, some say it's not obliged. And both are truthful.

Some Muslims say, it's ok to use smileys and some Muslims say it's haraam to use smileys. And both are truthful.
What do you mean truthful, if you mean both parties are truthful and they beleive to be right then ok.

but you do know both parties cannot be right at the same time

north_malaysian
12-01-2006, 02:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
if you mean both parties are truthful and they beleive to be right then ok.
Yes.

format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
but you do know both parties cannot be right at the same time
Also... yes.

Umar001
12-01-2006, 02:08 AM
Oh ok

glo
12-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Personally speaking, I find emoticons vital for clearer communication via the internet.
In the absence of non-verbal communication signals they are the closest we have to convey our feelings.

You could argue that in a forum such as this we don't need to express emotions, but sometimes we touch on topics where we do. (The cyber counselling section, for example)

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.