/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Meaning of The Pronoun "We" As Used in The Qur'aan

josein
12-07-2006, 02:53 PM
:sl:

I was reading the Quran on chapter AL-ANBIYA (THE PROPHETS) an on one of the verses it says the following

So We listened to him: We removed the distress that was on him, and We restored his people to him, and doubled their number,- as a Grace from Ourselves, and a thing for commemoration, for all who serve Us.

Who is Allah referring We, I know there is no god but ALLAH. Is ALLAH also referring to the prophets and angels(Peace and blessing of ALLAH be upon them)?

I don't get this can somebody please give me an answer.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
12-07-2006, 03:48 PM
The word We as used in the context is in reference to a person of high authority. It is an appropriate translation as Allah(swt) is truly the one of highest authority. In the Arabic context it is used a a singularity of the highest authority and esteem and not a plurality.

josein
12-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Thank You very for answering my question.
Peace be upon you

Umar001
12-07-2006, 04:32 PM

Hi,

You will find that in some languages plural is used to define respect.

For example, in my own mother tongue which is similar to Arabic, non-Muslims and Muslims alike use plural when speaking to someone they respect, for example:

A kid or younger walks into the house and he says to his grandfather "Kemey Alekhum". This would translate as "How are you all" if he wanted to say it in single he would have said "kemey Alekha" which is "How are you" but he used the plural for his grandfather to show respect for him. Also the grandfather might reply "Dahan Alena" which would mean "Ok WE are" if he wanted to say it in single he would have said "Dahan Alokhu" meaning "Ok I am"

So we see that the use of plural is some languages is not to mean that there is more than one person speaking but rather as a show or respect or high authority.

Eesa.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
amirah_87
12-07-2006, 05:25 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

The word We as used in the context is in reference to a person of high authority. It is an appropriate translation as Allah(swt) is truly the one of highest authority. In the Arabic context it is used a a singularity of the highest authority and esteem and not a plurality.
That's exactly what I studied, It's Used "Lil'Ta'dheem" For Gratification and Emphasis.

That also confused me aswell subhanAllah.

InshaAllah if you read any of the books in "Ilmul Balaaghah" it'll help you.

Allah Ma'ak.

Ansar Al-'Adl
12-07-2006, 05:38 PM
:sl:
http://www.islaam.net/display/displa...569&category=2

josein
12-14-2006, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
That helped me a lot Alhamdulelah

Thank you brothers and sisters.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.