/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with math!!!!!

*noor
12-10-2006, 10:21 PM
assalaamu alaikum

I need to know some things for my math project....any math teachers here or any math whiz??

can you explain the difference is between simplifying an algebraic expression like -2x+5x-7+8x and one like -3x(-2x-4)

i don't need the answer but i need an explanation of the differences between how each is simplified

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-Hanbali
12-11-2006, 12:31 AM
:sl:

Well in the first one you add all the like terms together whereas in the second one you open the brackets :)

Hijaabi22
12-11-2006, 12:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *noor
assalaamu alaikum

I need to know some things for my math project....any math teachers here or any math whiz??

can you explain the difference is between simplifying an algebraic expression like -2x+5x-7+8x and one like -3x(-2x-4)

i don't need the answer but i need an explanation of the differences between how each is simplified
yea hes ryt so the second one wud be sumat likeeeeeee 6x (cos 2 minuse make a plus ryt???) + 12???

danggggggg i dunooooooo i only gta A in math lol

I did!

Hijaabi22
12-11-2006, 12:14 PM
dnt listen 2 me i dnt want u failin! lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Iwant2no2
12-11-2006, 03:21 PM
This site helped me a lot. It's a site that expresses Algebra in its simplified form... http://www.learner.org/resources/series66.html

Take care...

Aisha20
12-11-2006, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -----------
yea hes ryt so the second one wud be sumat likeeeeeee 6x (cos 2 minuse make a plus ryt???) + 12???

danggggggg i dunooooooo i only gta A in math lol

I did!
i think its right... but isnt x multiplied by x is x"2 (it means that the 2 'd b above but i dont have that shift here lol)
soo it 'd be 6x'2 + 12x lol i dunno if its right... i am just in ninth grade lol

dnt listen 2 me i dnt want u failin! lol
here the same lol :D

Hijaabi22
12-11-2006, 07:15 PM
lol its not x as in multiply its jus X as in X Y lol, u gta find wat X represents. ull get theer sum day kid. Lol ;P

The Ruler
12-11-2006, 07:18 PM

you sure there isnt any squares on the first one :?...i thought it might be factorising and exapanding...or it could be simplifying and expanding...yup i think so :)

:w:

Hijaabi22
12-11-2006, 07:38 PM
man u confusin da poor gal even more, wat squares?! yh u gta expand the second one first, openin the brackets n that, than u gta start simplyfyin

M.I.A.
12-11-2006, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *noor
assalaamu alaikum

the first example only requires simplifying. add/subtract like terms and you are left with the answer.
to simplify the second example you need to first expand the brakets. this means multiplying everything out side with the inside..do this in steps as not to confuse things. so to expand the brakets would be: -3x X -2x and then -3x X -4. the minus(negative number) becomes a positive when multiplied by another minus. then you simplify what your left with in the same way as your first example. erm i hope this is what your askin.

Abdul Fattah
12-11-2006, 07:59 PM
The difrence is the following:
  • In the first example you have an equation of the first degree in the form of
    ax+b=0
    In such equations the solution is x=-b/a
    Now your example isn't in it's root form, if we alter it a bit we'll find
    -2x+5x-7+8x=0
    =>
    4x+0=0
    So the solution is x=-b/a=-0/4=0
  • The second equation you have is of teh second degree something in teh form of ax^2+bx+c=0
    It's a bit modified so it's tricky to recognise.
    -3x(-2x-4)=0
    =>
    6x^2+12x+0=0
    Now there's different ways to solve such an equation. Normally we'd have to calculate teh discriminant first, but since teh "c" value is zero; that makes it a lot easier to solve. In fact I shouldn't have modified it to this forme since it's previous form is easier to work with. I only did this to show you that we're actually dealing with a quadratic equation here.
    Now lets' solve it first of all quadratic equations have two solutions. Sometimes the solutions are imagenary numbers that cannot be expressed in simple mathemetics but there will always be to solutions.
    So -3x(-2x-4)=0
    For the product of two numbers to equal zero eithe one or both of the products need to equal zero.
    That means either -3x=0 or -2x-4=0
    We now have two equations of teh first degree giving us one solution each.
    -3x=0 => x=0
    and -2x-4=0 =>x=-2

So in conclusion what is the difrence?
1. The first one is a 1st degree equation, while the second one is a second degree equation, also refered to as quadratic equation.
2. The first one has one solution whereas the second one has two solutions

Hope this helps. If there's further questions don't hesitate

*noor
12-12-2006, 11:15 PM
assalaamu alaikum

JazaakumAllah everyone for all of your help!

Abdul Fattah
12-12-2006, 11:39 PM
most welcome, math always was my favorite cours

*noor
12-13-2006, 12:02 AM
ok so i know who to ask if i need any help..lol

jazakallah again

Devoted
12-15-2006, 12:36 PM
oh gosh i could use some help for myself as well,. :(

lolwatever
12-15-2006, 12:41 PM

go4it bro/sis, ask! :D

:w:

afriend
12-16-2006, 02:44 PM

I need some help in my maths cwk. Maybe some advice, ideas etc. ?

Here's what I have to do:

And here's what I've done already:

http://download.yousendit.com/089DAE950844AEDF

Don't mean to be impatient, but it's due in for monday,so quick lol. The sad story is I did my coursework very well, and my maths teacher has lost it.

Jzk in advance :D

afriend
12-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Anyone? Please? with a cherry on top?:okay:

lolwatever
12-16-2006, 11:33 PM
lol can u post a bigger version of the pic? i think it looks like number patterns to me... the font is too small.

tc :w:

*noor
12-22-2006, 12:10 AM
can you post a bigger picture of the assignment....its waaaayyy to tiny!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.