/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Refutation of the Batiniyyah

Ibn Abi Ahmed
12-13-2006, 04:53 AM
:sl:

The Baatiniyyah claim that there is the internal hidden aspects to things and also the outward manifestations of things and that they have exclusivity to the internal hidden matters. The following Hadith is used by such people to prove that there is a 'hidden' knowledge.

Bukahri - Volume 1, Book 3, Number 121:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

"I have memorized from the Messenger of Allaah, sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam ,two containers (of narrations/knowledge): As for the first one, then I have relayed it; as for the other, if I were to convey it, this pharynx (throat) would get cut."

The following hadith refutes the Batinyyah understanding of the preceding hadith.

Bukhari :: Book 1 :: Volume 3 :: Hadith 118

Narrated Abu Huraira:

People say that I have narrated many Hadiths . Had it not been for two verses in the Qur'an, I would not have narrated a single Hadith, and the verses are:

"Verily, those who conceal the clear proofs, evidences and the guidance, which We have sent down, after We have made it clear for the people in the Book, they are the ones cursed by Allâh and cursed by the cursers. Except those who repent and do righteous deeds, and openly declare (the truth which they concealed). These, I will accept their repentance. And I am the One Who accepts repentance, the Most Merciful." (2:159-160).

And no doubt our Muhajir (emigrant) brothers used to be busy in the market with their business (bargains) and our Ansari brothers used to be busy with their property (agriculture).
But I (Abu Huraira) used to stick to Allah's Apostle contented with what will fill my stomach and I used to attend that which they used not to attend and I used to memorize that which they used not to memorize."

Many more similar Ahadith can be found in the following references:
Bukhari :: Book 1 :: Volume 4 :: Hadith 161
Bukhari :: Book 3 :: Volume 39 :: Hadith 540
Muslim :: Book 2 : Hadith 440
Muslim :: Book 31 : Hadith 6085

Explanation of the hadith by Ibn Hajr AsQalani in his Fathul Baaree

"The 'ulamaa' have understood the container (of knowledge) that he did not relay as being that which identifies the names of the (future) evil rulers, their situations, and their eras. Aboo Hurayrah used to allude to some of it and not mention it explicitly, fearing for his own self from them (the rulers), like his statement, "I seek refuge in Allaah from the head of 60 (years) and the leadership of a young man," alluding to the khilaafah of Yazeed ibn Mu'aawiyyah, since it occurred at the year 60 after Hijrah, and Allaah had answered the supplication of Aboo Hurayrah and thus he died one year before that."

The written narrations (of the second container), had they been related to Sharee'ah rulings, then he could not have hid them, due to what he mentioned in the first hadeeth (Hadith no :118) regarding the aayah that censures the hiding of knowledge. And others have said that it is possible that he intended by the (second) kind of knowledge mentioned: things related to the signs of the Hour, the changing of situations and the killing to come in the last days.

Ibn Hajr continues on and says in meaning that ibn al-muneer mentioned that the Batiniyyah (a sect) used this hadeeth as proof for their falsehood to say that there is a hidden and. known knowledge in the sharee'ah , and that was the reason why Abu Huraira didn't mention that knowledge fearing that the people of injustice will cut his head off if he mentioned their wrong-doings and deviations. "

-------------------

Also worth mentioning are some Ahadith that warn us against seeking a hidden meaning and avoiding those that do so. The Ahadith also warn us of interpreting the verses of the Quran whose meaning is not clear.

Bukhari :: Book 6 :: Volume 60 :: Hadith 70

Narrated 'Aisha:

Allah's Apostle recited the Verse:--

"It is He who has sent down to you the Book. In it are Verses that are entirely clear (Muhkamat), they are the foundation of the Book, others not entirely clear (Mutashabihat). So as for those in whose hearts there is a deviation (from the Truth ). follow thereof that is not entirely clear (Mutashabihat) seeking affliction and searching for its hidden meanings; but no one knows its hidden meanings but Allah. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say: "We believe in it (i.e. in the Qur'an) the whole of it (i.e. its clear and unclear Verses) are from our Lord. And none receive admonition except men of understanding." (3.7)

Then Allah's Apostle said, "If you see those who follow thereof that is not entirely clear, then they are those whom Allah has named [as having deviation (from the Truth)] 'So beware of them."

---

Muslim :: Book 34 : Hadith 6442

'A'isha reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) recited (these verses of the Qur'an):

" He it is Who revealed to thee the Book wherein there are clear revelations (Muhkamat) - these are the substance of the Book and others are allegorical (Mutashabihat). And as for those who have a yearning for error they go after the allegorical (Mutashabihat) verses seeking dissension, by seeking to explain them. And none knows their implications but Allah, and those who are sound in knowledge say: We affirm our faith in everything which is from our Lord. It is only the persons of understanding who really heed" (3. 7).

'A'isha (further) reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said (in connection with these verses): When you see such verses, avoid them, for it is they whom Allah has pointed out (in the mentioned verses).
Therefore, it is established that there is no 'hidden' knowledge that only a few exclusives possess, on the contrary knowledge in all of its entirety is manifest and available to the Student willing to seek it.

"And, when they are told, 'Believe as the people have believed!' they say, 'Shall we believe as the fools believe?' Indeed, they are the fools, but they do not realize." (2, 13)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Abi Ahmed
12-16-2006, 06:13 PM
:sl:

I had also asked IslamToday about the first Hadith mentioned in the above post:

Question:
Assalamu Alaikum,

I would like an explanation of this Hadith which is used by many to support the claim that there is a 'hidden' knowledge that is possesed by only a few:

Bukahri - Volume 1, Book 3, Number 121: Narrated Abu Huraira: "I have memorized from the Messenger of Allaah, sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam, two containers (of narrations/knowledge): As for the first one, then I have relayed it; as for the other, if I were to convey it, this pharynx (throat) would get cut."

What is the correct understanding of this hadith and how can one respond to those that claim that there are two types of knowledge, 'hidden' and 'manifest'.
Jazakallah Khair,
Walaikum Assalam.
Answered by: Sheikh Nāsir al-`Aqil

No one should say that there was a hidden knowledge for the Prophet (peace be upon him). Such a claim could only be authenticated by revelation.

It was known that the Prophet (peace be upon him) did not know the Unseen. Allah says: “If I had knowledge of the Unseen, I should have multiplied all good, and no evil should have touched me” [Sūrah al-`Arāf: 188] and He ordered His Prophet to say: “Nor do I know what is hidden” [Sūrah al-An`ām: 50]. And says: “Say: None in the heavens or on earth, except Allah, knows what is hidden” [Sūrah al-Naml: 65]

All hidden knowledge would be part of the unseen.

It is possible that Allah taught His Prophet (peace be upon him) something that was not revealed to others. For instance, Allah informed the Prophet (peace be upon him) of the leaders of the hypocrites. But, we cannot call that hidden knowledge.

Those who are using this term of hidden knowledge mean to introduce into Islam some fictious, contrived, and false beliefs or philosophies notions therein. They would include under this pretended name all their deviated creeds and misguidance.

Then they would say that is the hidden knowledge which nobody knows except the Prophet (peace be upon him).

Their claim is false. The Muslim should wary of this mischief and these trials.

http://www.islamtoday.com/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.