/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Women

MTAFFI
12-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Why do Islamic women wear the veil? Also when you get married are you allowed to take it off in Public or around your spouse? I assume it has religious significance which is why i am posting this here. Also why wear the big robes in the US, I always thought this was a way of keeping out of the heat, is this just for culture or because this is just how you like to dress? Just curious, thank you for any feedback.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
12-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Hey mtaffi.

Check this article out, its kinda short and to the point:

The Science Behind the Veil
http://www.islamonline.net/english/S...article1.shtml

MTAFFI
12-20-2006, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Hey mtaffi.

Check this article out, its kinda short and to the point:

The Science Behind the Veil
http://www.islamonline.net/english/S...article1.shtml
So women wear this for health reasons? Why dont you see all of the men doing this? It also doesnt answer some of the questions I asked

- Qatada -
12-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Regarding your other questions, the muslim woman can take her veil off infront of her mahrams (people she is not permitted to marry, i.e. her blood brothers etc.) and husband. She should infact beautify herself for her husband and keep other stranger mens gazes away from her, and this is part of the idea of the veil. To cover oneself, to be modest, and to push away the idea of premarital relationships.

Compare this idea to a jewellery store. Where the expensive diamonds are kept in a secure place, whereas the not so expensive products are put up for show for anyone to get hold of.

Also, the loose clothes are a way of protecting the female from unwanted stares, and the loose clothing doesn't show her body shape, but instead she beautifies herself for her husband like mentioned earlier. So it isn't culture, rather it is a form of protection for her.

You can ask any sister who wears a veil for the sake of Allah, if she feels oppressed and she will say no. She doesn't desire to wear tight clothes and actually feels that wearing the loose clothes is her form of freedom because she isn't stared or wolf whistled at by any stranger guy walking in the street etc.

You can read more regarding hijab from here:

http://www.soundvision.com/Info/news.../hjb.quran.asp
http://muttaqun.com/niqab.html

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MTAFFI
12-20-2006, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Regarding your other questions, the muslim woman can take her veil off infront of her mahrams (people she is not permitted to marry, i.e. her blood brothers etc.) and husband. She should infact beautify herself for her husband and keep other stranger mens gazes away from her, and this is part of the idea of the veil. To cover oneself, to be modest, and to push away the idea of premarital relationships.

Compare this idea to a jewellery store. Where the expensive diamonds are kept in a secure place, whereas the not so expensive products are put up for show for anyone to get hold of.

Also, the loose clothes are a way of protecting the female from unwanted stares, and the loose clothing doesn't show her body shape, but instead she beautifies herself for her husband like mentioned earlier. So it isn't culture, rather it is a form of protection for her.

You can ask any sister who wears a veil for the sake of Allah, if she feels oppressed and she will say no. She doesn't desire to wear tight clothes and actually feels that wearing the loose clothes is her form of freedom because she isn't stared or wolf whistled at by any stranger guy walking in the street etc.

You can read more regarding hijab from here:

http://www.soundvision.com/Info/news.../hjb.quran.asp
http://muttaqun.com/niqab.html

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

thank you that is what i wanted to know

New_Muslim
12-21-2006, 05:55 AM
Because modesty is important, not only for women but men as well.

Muslim Woman
12-21-2006, 09:01 AM
I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&&

format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
Why do Islamic women wear the veil? Also when you get married are you allowed to take it off in Public or around your spouse? I assume it has religious significance which is why i am posting this here. Also why wear the big robes in the US, I always thought this was a way of keeping out of the heat, is this just for culture or because this is just how you like to dress? Just curious, thank you for any feedback.

We ( Muslim women ) wear veil / do hijab because it's a command of God Almighty.

The Light

( chapter 24: verse
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof,

and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or those whom their right hands possess, or the male servants not having need (of women), or the children who have not attained knowledge of what is hidden of women;

and let them not strike their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments may be known; and turn to Allah all of you, O believers! so that you may be successful

there are so more verses , Insha Allah i will try to collect.

In public, we are not allowed to remove hijab....does not matter if we are married or not , it's hot summer or winter etc.

Without hijab i.e say headscarf , it's allowed to go infront of father , brother , uncle , grandpa .....with whom marriage is prohibited.

I visited a very good website ' My veil , my choice ; voice of Muslim America" long ago. I will try to find that site for u.

- Qatada -
12-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Referring to your final question MTAFFI. The man is expected to grow his beard, to dress modestly with loose clothing also and to lower his gaze. This ensures that both parties be modest infront of each other and immorality is kept at a minimum. And Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

Muslim Woman
12-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Salaam;

pl. everybody , listen to a beautiful song on veil by our Canadian revert bro . His revert sis helped him to write the song.

The Veil

http://www.unc.edu/depts/europe/conf...cs/theveil.htm

Lyrics

They say, "Oh, poor girl, you're so beautiful you know

It's a shame that you cover up your beauty so."
She just smiles and graciously responds reassuringly,

"This beauty that I have is just one simple part of me.
This body that I have, no stranger has the right to see.
These long clothes, this shawl I wear, ensure my modesty.

Faith is more essential than fashion, wouldn't you agree?

This hijab,
This mark of piety,
Is an act of faith, a symbol,

For all the world to see.
A simple cloth, to protect her dignity.

So lift the veil from your heart to see the heart of purity.

They tell her, "Girl, don't you know this is the West and you are free?

You don't need to be opressed, ashamed of your femininity."
She just shakes her head and she speaks so assuredly,

"See the bill-boards and the magazines that line the check-out isles, with their phony painted faces and their air-brushed smiles?

Well their sheer clothes and low cut gowns are really not for me.
You call it freedom, I call it anarchy."

This hijab,
This mark of piety,
Is an act of faith, a symbol,
For all the world to see.

A simple cloth, to protect her dignity.
So lift the veil from your heart to see the heart of purity.

Lift the veil from your heart and seek the heart of purity.

Muslim Woman
12-24-2006, 01:39 AM
Salaam/peace;

pl. try to read this interesting book :p

Daughters of Another Path: Experiences of American Women Choosing Islam

Midwest Book Review
Daughters of Another Path: Experiences of American Women Choosing Islam reflects Carol Anway's experiences as a mother whose daughter became a Muslim convert and the journey of reconciliation and acceptance of her daughter's change in tradition. Daughters of Another Path includes portions of stories from fifty-three American born women who have chosen to become Muslim.

Why and how they came to Islam; what their lives are like as a result of that choice; How non-Muslims can relate to Muslims that are relatives, friends, co-workers, and acquaintances.

Muslim Woman
12-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Salaam;

i just found the wonderful site on veil. Everybody , pl. visit this site or try to collect the magazine.

Unveiling the Veil

http://www.messageonline.org/2004febmarch/cover.htm

An Interview with Aminah Assilmi

To ask me to go out without my hijab would be like asking a nun to go topless.

I t amazes me, and I cannot help but wonder if they would have ordered Mary, the Mother of Jesus, to uncover her hair.

...Every year, as summer nears, I get into gear to respond to the "Aren't you hot?", "How can you be dressed like that when it's 90 degrees outside?

I would never do it if I didn't have to!", and "Man, you should take all those clothes off in this heat…you're in America now, you don't have to dress like that anymore!"

An Interview with Merve Kavakci

I am a “victimized muhajabah.” I am one of more than a million young women who had to change their plans in life due to impediments caused by hijab ban.

ScoobyGurl
12-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Basically, there are two verses in the Qur'an that command us to wear hijab.

The first was quoted by Muslim Woman. An Nur (The Light), 24:31 commands Muslim women to wear a veil over their bosoms. The word used in Arabic is "khumur" which is the plural of khimar. A khimar is a veil that comes from over the head. During the Prophet's (saws) time, women wore khimar but thei cloaks often were cut out right where their bosoms were. Thus the commandment to cover their bosoms with their head covering.

The second verse that deals with hijab is Al Azhab (The Coalition), 33:59.

O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.

This verse commands Muslim women in Arabic to wear the jilbab or outer cloak over themselves when they go out in public. I wear jilbab, even though I live in the US, because I feel like it covers me the most. Occasionally, I wear long skirts with long shirts but most days I wear jilbab. Jilbab can be made in different materials so I just find jilbab made in breatheable (sp?) fabrics for the spring and summer months.

We're not allowed to take it off in public, even when we're married, although we can take it off around our husbands and relatives that we can't marry like fathers, brothers, and uncles.

Sis_ReNa
12-26-2006, 01:51 PM
Salam walkaum wa rahmatuAllah wa barkatoh,
New muslim of 2 years .. wears the robs.. and niqab.. i wear it for the sake of Allah cus in this contry in all countries .. iam in the usa there is alot of Fitnah.. and i just rather protect my self. I feel self cofdent and love to be covered and feel as tho iam following Allah.. and on top of that hijab dosnt mean just a scarf on your head its allso the way you act and its not just outter wear ... its a mind set. and for me niqab helps me or incourages me to stay in that mind set...
Zakirah

Muslim Woman
12-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Salaam;

format_quote Originally Posted by Sis_ReNa
Salam walkaum wa rahmatuAllah wa barkatoh,
New muslim of 2 years .. wears the robs.. and niqab.. i wear it for the sake of Allah .................

wooowww sis , u wear niqab ? I thought of it & almost decided to wear it Insha Allah after performing Hajj next year.

Just curious, do u face any problem for wearing niqab in USA? I read in a revert story that when the sis went to a bank , the guard thought she is a robber & tried to stop her with his gun. :enough!:

May Allah bless u in this world & the life hereafter , Ameen.

Sis_ReNa
12-26-2006, 03:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam;

wooowww sis , u wear niqab ? I thought of it & almost decided to wear it Insha Allah after performing Hajj next year.

Just curious, do u face any problem for wearing niqab in USA? I read in a revert story that when the sis went to a bank , the guard thought she is a robber & tried to stop her with his gun. :enough!:

May Allah bless u in this world & the life hereafter , Ameen.
Well being a muslim period we have faced some problems, but no in my area they know or maybe use to me LOL .. we dont get yelled at offen. I love being a niqabi .. and i never want to change. inshAllah.. I would sugest that sisters try it.. you kn ow i tried it at home frist .. seen how it felt .. and then little baby steps went to out side.. i think unfortnely the most problem with my niqab i get from other muslims. I wear it to the muslim community and i at least get one muslim each time i go telling me that i shouldnt wear it.. At least. may Allah forgive them and have mercy on them and guide us all to his will ameen
Zakirah

Muslim Woman
12-28-2006, 12:12 AM
Salaam/peace to u & all;

format_quote Originally Posted by Sis_ReNa
Well being a muslim period we have faced some problems, but no in my area they know or maybe use to me LOL .. we dont get yelled at offen. I love being a niqabi .. and i never want to change. inshAllah.. I would sugest that sisters try it.. you kn ow i tried it at home frist .. seen how it felt .. and then little baby steps went to out side.. i think unfortnely the most problem with my niqab i get from other muslims. I wear it to the muslim community and i at least get one muslim each time i go telling me that i shouldnt wear it.. At least. may Allah forgive them and have mercy on them and guide us all to his will ameen
Zakirah
I think, we ( today's bad born Muslims ) are brainwashed by the western media. So, many think that hijab is not suitable for the modern time or it represents oppression etc.

When our revert sisters can wear even niqab in USA , there should be no excuse for born Muslim women not to at least wear headscarf.

Pl.pray for me so that Allah increases my faiht &i can start wearing niqab. Well, i tried that last night....hehe, not bad. I think, i would love it.

May Allah guide us all , Ameen.

Sarada
08-11-2007, 12:12 PM
What sort of modest attire, at a minimum, should a Muslima wear when she is in public?

Muslim Woman
08-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Salaam/peace;

format_quote Originally Posted by Sarada
What sort of modest attire, at a minimum, should a Muslima wear when she is in public?
u may read this article :

Women in Islam Versus Women in the Judaeo-Christian Tradition

The Myth and The Reality

By: Sherif Abdel Azim, Ph.D.- Queens University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
PART 15 - THE VEIL ?

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty......

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty;

that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms...." (Quran 24:30,31).

The Quran is quite clear that the veil is essential for modesty, but why is modesty important?

The Quran is still clear:

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their bodies (when abroad) so that they should be known and not molested" (Quran 33:59).

http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/w_islam/veil.htm

Muhammad
08-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Greetings Sarada,

Please visit the following links which detail the description for women's Hijab:

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=214&ln=eng
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=6991&ln=eng

There are also a couple of threads on the subject:

http://www.islamicboard.com/fiqh/188...ear-hijab.html

From the above thread:
3. Six criteria for Hijab. *
According to Qur’an and Sunnah there are basically six criteria for observing hijab: *

1. Extent: *
The first criterion is the extent of the body that should be covered. This is different for men and women. The extent of covering obligatory on the male is to cover the body at least from the navel to the knees. For women, the extent of covering obligatory is to cover the complete body except the face and the hands upto the wrist. If they wish to, they can cover even these parts of the body. Some scholars of Islam insist that the face and the hands are part of the obligatory extent of ‘hijab’. *
All the remaining five criteria are the same for men and women. *
2. The clothes worn should be loose and should not reveal the figure. *
3. The clothes worn should not be transparent such that one can see through them. *
4. The clothes worn should not be so glamorous as to attract the opposite sex. *
5. The clothes worn should not resemble that of the opposite sex.*
6. The clothes worn should not resemble that of the unbelievers i.e. they should not wear clothes that are specifically identities or symbols of the unbelievers’ religions.
And lastly:
http://www.islamicboard.com/fiqh/427...ts-ruling.html

Sarada
08-13-2007, 03:38 AM
Salaam Muhammad,

That is the clearest explanation I have heard or seen.

Thank-you.

Sarada

Woodrow
08-14-2007, 08:19 PM
I find the Islamic concept of female modesty to have been nearly universal until fairly recent times. Think back in the days of my childhood this was the standard dress for most Eastern European women.

This is the type of clothing I remember seeing people wear when I was a child

Intisar
08-14-2007, 08:22 PM
:sl: Woodrow, yes most of those pictures resemble Islamic attire except for the fact that some of them reveal their necks. :)

Woodrow
08-14-2007, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
:sl: Woodrow, yes most of those pictures resemble Islamic attire except for the fact that some of them reveal their necks. :)
True. those pictures are from Lithuania. however, similar clothing was worn by Germans, Polish, Hungarians, Swiss, Dutch and most of the East European people. There must be some reason why so many people saw the value of that type attire.

I doubt if it is just coincidence that for many centuries most of the world recognized the value of modest clothing and that it is not simply an Islamic fabrication. There is much value and wisdom for all people to dress modestly. Once the values are lost, it is difficult to regain them.

Muslim Woman
08-15-2007, 01:34 AM
:sl:

Pl.pray for me so that Allah increases my faith &i can start wearing niqab. Well, i tried that last night....hehe, not bad. I think, i would love it.

May Allah guide us all , Ameen.

yak ...i made a stupid spell mistake & did not find the edit button.

bro woodrow , thanks a lot for sharing phootes...lovely. oh God , who invented mini skirt & other horrible revealing dresses ??? :cry:

Woodrow
08-15-2007, 02:26 AM

yak ...i made a stupid spell mistake & did not find the edit button.

bro woodrow , thanks a lot for sharing phootes...lovely. oh God , who invented mini skirt & other horrible revealing dresses ??? :cry:
I remember in the 1940s women were still expected to wear dress, not skirts or slacks, that reached to their ankles. By the late 1950s skirts that reached any place between the knee and ankle were accepted. I believe it was in the late 1960s the mini-skirt came about. If I recall most of the styles came from France.

This minimal clothing concept is new even to the western world. I can see how much it has spread in just my life time.

Call me old fashioned, but to me modesty is true Beauty.

bint_khalid
08-15-2007, 08:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
salaams
niqaab is worn out of modesty, also so that you dont have men gawping at them when they are out on the street. it also prevents women being judged because of their looks and how pretty they are.
when they get married they still wear it in public, infact many start wearing it after they get married. But ofcourse infront of their spouse they can take it off.
infact when they are infront of their mahram (someone who they cant marry) then they dont have to wear the niqaab.
only infront of male non mahram( guys who they can marry) they wear the niqaab infront of them.
and the thowb is the sunnah of the prophet SAW :)

Muslim Woman
08-15-2007, 09:44 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

Call me old fashioned, but to me modesty is true Beauty.

Are u Jesus' mommy ???

http://islam.about.com/blkidsquestions.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.