/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Islam

rubicon
12-22-2006, 05:14 AM
Hi! I was wondering if anyone of you could take the time to answer a few questions I have about Islam.

1. How does Islam affect your daily life?

2. Describe one of the major holidays. What is it for? How is it celebrated?

3. What do you appreciate most about Islam?

4. What part of Islam might you have problems practicing or agreeing with?

5. Do you believe in reincarnation? Do you believe in an afterlife?

6. Do you believe in more than one god? If so, who are the gods?

7. How does Islam differ from other religions?

8. How is Islam similar to other religions?

9. Do you have any dietary restrictions?

10. What are the basic tenets of Islam?

I know it may take you some time, but I will be extremely grateful. I'd really like to know more about Islam first-hand instead of reading books and articles.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
rubicon
12-23-2006, 03:32 AM
I'll check back later. Thanks again if you can help me!

Muslim Woman
12-24-2006, 02:17 AM
I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&&
format_quote Originally Posted by rubicon
Hi! I was wondering if anyone of you could take the time to answer a few questions I have about Islam.

1. How does Islam affect your daily life?

--------Islam is not only a religion.....it's a guide line about how we eat , how we talk , how we pray ( 5 times daily) , how we dress etc. So, my daily life is guided by Islam.....at least i try hard to follow the guide lines of God Almighty.

So, i eat halal ( lawful ) foods only.....don't eat pork , alcohol , wear hijab , pray , give charity , do fasting , try to be good to parent etc , etc.

2. Describe one of the major holidays. What is it for? How is it celebrated?

-----We have 2 Eids. One Eid is coming.....1st Jan. Well, Arabic calendar follows the lunar months.

On the Eid-ul-Adha , we will remember the great sacrifice of Prophet Abrahahm (p) . He wanted to sacrifice his First born son Ismail/Ishmael ( p) , his son also willingly agreed to obey God. We will sacrifice animanls in the name of God , we will keep one third of meat for us , one third give to relatives , neighbours , friends & it's a must to give a share to needy people.

Early in the morning, Muslim men go to mosque , offer special prayer , then do the Qurbani ( sacrifice of the animals). Well, i will try to write in details later.

Another festival is Eid ul Fitl. During holy Ramadan
( a whole month ....`10 month of the lunar calendar) , in day time we don't eat or drink anything. At night we offer special prayer . After one month of fasting , we enjoy Eid Day......no more fasting .

In the morning , men , kids wear new dresses, go to mosque ( women are also allowed to go to mosque but unfortunately many mosques don't have seperate room for women ), offer prayer , come back home , eat good foods , visit relatives etc, etc.

Our festivals include special prayers, charity etc.

3. What do you appreciate most about Islam?

------ It teaches that God is only One. No one deserves our worship except One God. Prophets & Angesl deserve respect but not worship.

4. What part of Islam might you have problems practicing or agreeing with?

-----I do agree with all the teaching of Islam but not sure about how to practise Jihad.

When i see the horrible conditions of Muslims in Palestine , Kashmir , Iraq & other places , my heart bleeds but except prayers & use internet to make people conscious against the cruelty , i m not doing anything else. I don't know what more i need to do .

5. Do you believe in reincarnation? Do you believe in an afterlife?

---Of Course , Muslims believe in the life hereafter.

It does not matter how happy /rich/famous we are in this world, the most imp matter is what God is thinking about us & if we will be able to have His mercy on the Last Day.

6. Do you believe in more than one god? If so, who are the gods?

-----nope , nope ,nope. There is no god but God.

"If there had been in them (the heaven and the earth) other gods beside Allah ( God ) , then surely both would have gone to ruin." 21:23

Say: He is Allah the One and Only;

Allah the Eternal Absolute;

He begets not nor is He begotten;

And there is none like unto Him (112:1-4).

7. How does Islam differ from other religions?

----I don't know about all religions. In short , all other Prophets (pbut ) came for their people only. The Last Prophet (p) came as a mercy for all mankind & Jinn.

His teaching through Holy Quran ( which is the final revealation from God ) is applicable for all till the Last Day.

Quran is the Last & Final holy book. Muhammed (p) is the seal of the Prophets (pbut ). We do believe in the seconde coming of Jesus (p) but he won't come back as a new Prophet (P). He was a Muslim & come back as a Muslim .

8. How is Islam similar to other religions?

----all Prophets /major religions taught us about worshippng one God.

U may visit the website to enjoy a lecture of Dr. Zakir Naik ' concept of God in major religions.

9. Do you have any dietary restrictions?

----yap; we cant' eat blood, pork , meat that was sacrificed other than God etc.

chapter 2 , verse 173

. He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been invoked besides that of Allah.

But if one is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits,- then is he guiltless. For Allah is Oft-forgiving Most Merciful.

10. What are the basic tenets of Islam?

--We believe in One God , all holy books ( Torah , Psalms , Injeel( Bible ) etc, ) , Prophets i.ed Adam , Moses , David , Solomon, Jesus , Muhammed ( peace be upon them all ), angels , life hereafter etc.

I know it may take you some time, but I will be extremely grateful. I'd really like to know more about Islam first-hand instead of reading books and articles.
-----most welcome :p

rubicon
12-25-2006, 06:08 AM
Thank you thank you thank you!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
12-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Salaam/peace to u & all;

format_quote Originally Posted by rubicon
Thank you thank you thank you!
welcome , welcome , welcome :)

Pl. don't hesitate to ask more . did u read holy Quran ? If not , may i request u to read Quran ? Online Free Quran is available .

Ask any question that comes to ur mind while reading ....i m not Islamic scholar but Insha Allah ( God Willing ) i will try hard to answer. I m sure , others will join , too :statisfie

Take care.

Muslim Woman
12-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Salaam/peace;

some info on Eid-ul-Adha

`Eid Al-Adha is a symbol of obedience. It signifies submission to Allah.

By Gyasi Abu Umar Mckinzie

On this day, we commemorate together the acts of obedience and submission performed by Prophet Ibrahim and his family when he was commanded to take Hajar and their son Isma`il to an uninhabited, barren, distant land and leave them there alone.

He submitted and obeyed. When Hajar realized what was happening, she cried out, "Ibrahim! Are you going to leave us in this valley where no people live?"

She repeated the question yet she received no answer, so she asked him, "Did Allah order you to do this?" He replied, "Yes." So she said, "Then Allah will not let us perish." Thus she submitted.

Furthermore, when his son Isma`il became older, Ibrahim received a command from his Lord to sacrifice him.

He submitted and so did his son. The family of Ibrahim was a family of obedience and submission. They were tested and tried again and again, but the result was always submission and obedience.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/E...ience/01.shtml

few related verses from holy Quran

Surah 3. The Family Of 'Imran, The House Of 'Imran

The first House (of worship) appointed for men was that at Bakka: Full of blessing and of guidance for all kinds of beings:

In it are Signs Manifest; (for example), the Station of Abraham; whoever enters it attains security;

Pilgrimage thereto is a duty men owe to Allah,- those who can afford the journey; but if any deny faith, Allah stands not in need of any of His creatures ( 3: 96-97)

chapter/ Surah 14. Abraham

"O our Lord! I have made some of my offspring to dwell in a valley without cultivation, by Thy Sacred House; in order, O our Lord, that they may establish regular Prayer:

so fill the hearts of some among men with love towards them, and feed them with fruits: so that they may give thanks.

Surah 22. The Pilgrimage

Behold! We gave the site, to Abraham, of the (Sacred) House, (saying): "Associate not anything (in worship) with Me;

and sanctify My House for those who compass it round, or stand up, or bow, or prostrate themselves (therein in prayer).

"And proclaim the Pilgrimage among men: they will come to thee on foot and (mounted) on every kind of camel, lean on account of journeys through deep and distant mountain highways;

"That they may witness the benefits (provided) for them, and celebrate the name of Allah, through the Days appointed, over the cattle which He has provided for them (for sacrifice):

then eat ye thereof and feed the distressed ones in want. ( verses 26-28)

related links:

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...am%2FDIELayout

The Time of Sacrifice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read more on the concept of Islamic slaughtering:

The Concept of Animal Sacrifice in Islam

Udhiyah: Rules and Significance
The Sacrificial Animal: Cruelty or Mercy?

one should say “Bismillah” (In the name of Allah) before slaughtering. It was reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to say when slaughtering, “Bismillah, Allahu Akbar” (In the name of Allah, Allah is the Greatest).

Grace Seeker
01-21-2007, 07:00 PM
This is something new that I never heard before. The source was not from a Muslim, but someone who usually doesn't just pass along unfounded rumors, so I thought that it would be best to simply ask here, as I am sure several people can answer this question. Maybe there will even be differing answer from Muslims, depending on your particular culture and what part of the world you are from, I don't know.

The comment in question is:
In Arab culture and under Islamic law, if your father is a Muslim, so are you. And once a Muslim, always a Muslim. You cannot go back. In Islamic eyes, a convert to Christianity is still a Muslim. The individual may think he's a Christian, but other Muslims would not.
As I said, this point-of-view is news to me. Any comment from the Muslim brothers here would be helpful.

Muslim Woman
01-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Salaam/ peace ;

format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
...... Any comment from the Muslim brothers here would be helpful.

what about comment from a Muslim sis ? :p

I also NEVER heard anything....i m surprised to hear that. Muslim means who submitted to God Almighty. If parent are Muslim but son/daughter does not believe in God at all , then s/he becomes an Atheist .

If anybody does not believe that Muhammed (p) is the Last Prophet & Jesus (p) is god , then s/he becomes a Christian.......how come , s/he can be considered as a Muslim when s/he is denying the final holy book of God ? It is absurd.

I heard so many allegation that if anybody tries to leave Islam , Muslims normally kill him/her. That's the first time , i heard about totally opposite thing.

Munda Pakistani
02-03-2007, 08:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
This is something new that I never heard before. The source was not from a Muslim, but someone who usually doesn't just pass along unfounded rumors, so I thought that it would be best to simply ask here, as I am sure several people can answer this question. Maybe there will even be differing answer from Muslims, depending on your particular culture and what part of the world you are from, I don't know.

The comment in question is:

As I said, this point-of-view is news to me. Any comment from the Muslim brothers here would be helpful.
It's news to me as well. Never heard opf such a thing.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.